96 South First Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nemeagreektaverna.com/
- Phone: (408) 279-4225
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Su 4:00-10:00pm; M-W 5:00pm-10:00pm; Th-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Luis Moreno
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Fridays and Saturday there will be live Greek music.
A word from Nemea
Hercules defeated the Nemean lion and then probably enjoyed an excellent glass (or amphora) of Nemean wine. Nemea is a noted wine & food capitol of Pelopennese in southern Greece. Our food is influenced primarily by the flavors of the Pelopennese with accents from all of Greece. We boast an amazing wine list with many great wines from Greece, the Mediterranean and around the world. Come in and let our mixologists make you a craft cocktail or enjoy a well made classic martini as you enjoy the best Greek food in San Jose! We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nemea reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)good for groups (56)special occasion (48)neighborhood gem (39)romantic (30)notable wine list (29)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (19)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- West64VIPDined on 11/15/2014The service was fantastic. Our waiter attended to every need and offered excellent suggestions. It's one of the reasons I keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Greek DiningCheerioDined on 11/15/2014My fiancée and I went here for date night. Our server was extremely attentive; my water glass never ran empty; and the food was excellent. We had grape leaves (my fiancée loves them, and though they usually aren't my thing I actually enjoyed the one I tried) and a delicious grilled flatbread appetizer of some sort (it was basically a mini pizza but not labelled as such on the menu). The tomatoes they served on everything were the best I've ever tasted. I often don't get quite enough to eat at fancier restaurants, even with a few appetizers, but this one was quite the exception. All of the dishes were amply sized; we weren't even quite able to finish our main course. I really enjoyed their scallops with risotto (don't remember what the menu called it exactly). I didn't try any of their wine, but my fiancée enjoyed the waiter's recommended white with her dish. Overall a gem of a restaurant in downtown San Jose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsMargelDined on 11/14/2014We went to Nemea with another couple for dinning. The food was excellent and the service outstanding. We had a really good time. The down side is that it is very noisy. On top of it, there was two musicians playing Greek Music (very well) but it just had more noise....I had hard time to hear my friend across the table! We went to Nemea a year before but on the bar side and it was way quiter! I will definitively go back for dinning but on the bar side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesJohnVIPDined on 11/9/2014Still one of the best restaurants in downtown SJ. Excellent service and food continue to be the norm here.Special Features:
- Nice for a special occasionZapatachDined on 11/8/2014Great service, nice ambiance, nice place for a special occasion, food is good but it could use some more flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Greek Food @ Bay AreaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2014I've always enjoyed dining at Nemea. Love the food and services. Wonderful taste of Greece from the appetizers to main course.Special Features:
- Great Grilled DelicaciesKathleenDined on 10/30/2014We love to go to nemea and eat the delicious grilled octopus and fish dishes. They are perfect for lunch or dinner. If possible, visit with friends, so you can share more treats. The bar has great cocktails and an interesting wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriselewwDined on 10/25/2014I liked everything about my dinner at Nemea - the bread, appetizers, wine, entree, and dessert - presented by very good server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anoneatsoutDined on 10/24/2014Don't go on a Friday night unless you want to listen to LOUD live music, and be unable to have any conversation unless the band takes a break...I definitely want to go back----food is great, and well-priced for the quality. Brussel sprouts were delicious and so were the lamb meatballs and the lamb tenderloin.Special Features:
- will come again ...charly2Dined on 10/23/2014and again; they are very good and service is great!Special Features:
- Nemea Review by Raj MadhavanRajMadhavanDined on 10/22/2014I dined at Nemea twice in the last two weeks. Excellent Greek food, good wine list, and outstanding service. Their pistachio ice cream and Greek coffee are worth going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Date NightthemangothreeDined on 10/19/2014Had a rough week and wanted to take my girlfriend out for a nice dinner. Quickly found this restaurant in downtown San Jose and it was a perfect choice. The food was excellent and the waiter was wonderfully helpful. He recommended some dishes which we enjoyed. The scallop risotto dish was so yummy that I wish I could have more! Good ambiance and was a really wonderful night out.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Food and service was excellent. The waiter was very attentive. I had the lamb souvlaki... Very tasty. The only issue I had was the music from the Greek band (who was very good and appropriate for the restaurant) was a little loud for background music. But, other than that, we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Downtown RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/16/2014We sampled some Greek wines, of which I am extremely ignorant. With the waiters useful help we picked several reds and whites (by the glass) that were very good. I like the way the restaurant gives 'conventional' entrees a Mediterranean/Greek flairSpecial Features:
- Best lamb chop in South Bay!LouiseVIPDined on 10/15/2014We had a really enjoyable dinner at Nemea. The service was excellent. The lamb chops were cooked to perfection. We loved the octopus appetizer, Mediterranean sea bass and Moussaka as well. Truly a gem in San Jose!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food used to be goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014maybe we just were there on a bad night, but even the grilled octopus did not live up to past standards. They need to put the greek back in the greek food.
- High quality Greek dishesjohna2014Dined on 10/5/2014Three of us made a meal of the saganaki, tasting dips, and the small plate appetizers (lamb meatballs, tiger prawns, and octopus) paired with one of the Greek red wines (a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot). We also shared two desserts. That was plenty of food, and not too much anything. The saganaki was ordinary and served without much enthusiam. I'd skip it unless it's one of your favorites. The lamb meatballs were succulent, moist (not cooked through, which was perfect), and served on a bed of citrus marinated roasted red peppers and basil. Best dish we had. Grilled octopus was also very well prepared. The tiger prawns were tasty but not in the same category as the other two small plates. The dip assortment was also well-prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exairetikí̱ (Outstanding)TheDineOutDivaDined on 10/4/2014Over the weekend I celebrated my birthday at Nemea. Me and my guests thoroughly enjoyed ourselves...Dining PERFECTION! The hosting staff was friendly and our waiter's knowledge of the menu, cooking style, wines and desserts was extremely helpful to us new Nemeans. We started out with Horiatiki (Salad) followed by our main courses, the Ktenia (Scallops), Paidakia (Lamb Chops) and Solomos (Salmon). Then we ended the night by sharing dessert...Sokolatina, Baklavas and Galactoboureko. I highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion. Actually, before the evening ended we all decided to return with our significant others…We want to share the Nemea experience with them. BRAVO!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Greek fare, flaming cheeseamheyVIPDined on 10/2/2014Having recently returned from Greece I was pleased to find authentic Greek cuisine. 6pm reservation was perfect for 8pm concert at SAP center. Greek wine flights were fun. As in Greece appetizers were generous and suitable for sharing. Spanakopita pastry was especially fresh and good. Brussel sprouts were cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentStarz6809Dined on 10/1/2014Service was prompt and attentive. Entrees were served in generous portions. Delicious. Ambiance elegant and comfortable. Would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craving GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/23/2014This place satisfied my Greek craving. Saganaki was great and the fish selection is amazing. Price was a bit high for San Jose IMO.Special Features:
- Fancy, but not greathukilauDined on 9/22/2014My husband is Greek, so we had high hopes for this "high-end" Greek restaurant, but found the food average. A couple of the items on the online menu were not available and they were out of sparkling water the night we went. The octopus appetizer was fairly small and could have used some lemon. The shrimp saganaki only came with 4 shrimp that were unevenly cooked, some parts seemed undercooked. The dessert and the wines were very good. Some great Greek wine flights and an extensive list of bottles of Greek wines. The dessert with galaktoboureko and baklava with honey and ouzo ice cream were great. May be good to go for drinks and dessert. Service was excellent, but more of a production and did not feel like a really Greek-run restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LucasGoodEatsDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful dining experience: the food, restaurant and service. Lucas gave us newbies good menu advice and rounded out a great meal with incredible desserts.Special Features:
- Very good food but loud2fromExtonDined on 9/19/2014My wife cooks a mean Greek dinner. This might not have been up to hers, but the food was very good. We split the lamb meatballs for an appetizer. She had the salmon for her entree, while I had moussaka. Both tasty. The best part was the dessert - a sweet, sticky baklava which we split and which was probably better than hers. (Sorry, Barb). As we ate, a trio played Greek music, wowing us with the theme from Zorba the Greek. We'd definitely come back.Special Features:
- Ask for the olive breadJuliaLGDined on 9/19/2014The olive bread is worth the visit alone. However you have to ask for it. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Greek cuisineStaceyVIPDined on 9/19/2014I'm Greek and I cook a lot of Greek dishes handed down by my family. Nemea is one of only a handful of Greek restaurants that serves true Greek cuisine. Are there some nods to modern tastes? Yes, of course but the basics are all there and incredibly well prepared. We started with Spanikopeta which is usually served as a pie but in this case was served al la Tiropeta style (small triangles), crispy, piquant and wonderful. We also enjoyed the lamb keftedes (meatballs), the lamb chops and souvlaki. We finished with the Loukamades (Greek donuts), Baklava and Galaktaboureko (a semolina custard with filo). It was all delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely food and service at NemeaSummer77Dined on 9/18/2014We had a wonderful experience at Nemea. Fresh flavors, great seafood and a friendly hostess and super nice Greek waiter (Lucas) who gave great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprisedabbas2099Dined on 9/13/2014I picked the restaurant in the blind not knowing what to expect as we (my girlfriend and I) were going the Improv after dinner. We both loved the food and the atmosphere. I have gone to many Greek restaurants in the area (Dio Deka, Evvia, Kokkari, Opa, Odium,...) and this restaurant ranked just as good, if not better than the rest of them. My GF has the salmon which I tried and was perfectly cooked. I had their beef souvlaki was cooked perfectly to my order of medium-rare. The beef was very tender and flavorful. We followed the meal with their chocolate cake dessert and Greek coffee which again were outstanding. Would love to go back and try their Horiatiki salad and the lamb chops.Special Features:
- NemeafeedyourfaceDined on 9/12/2014Food was excellent and came to the table quick. Staff was friendly and helpful. Every dish recommended was a hit. We shared 4 of the small plates and the pita sampler. Plenty of food for 2 and leftovers. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OZLANDDined on 9/12/2014THE DECOR IS EXCELLENT. GREAT BAR WITH LOTS OF CHARACTER. THE SERVICE WAS TOP NOTCH. OUR WAITER WAS VERY HELPFUL. THE APPEITERS WERE WONDERFUL, BUT OUR MAIN COURSES WERE OKAY.
- Continues to be one of the bestJohnVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is my favorite downtown restaurant and definitely one of the best in the city. The food, service and atmosphere are exceptional, from the details like their homemade pita that melts in your mouth to the great selection of entrees. I've been coming since it opened and brought out of town guests who were very impressed as well. Thank you for opening this gem in SJ.Special Features:
- La PeligrosalapeligrosaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great place for pre-opera or other show dinner. We ordered a trio of appetizers that were ample enough for pre-show nosh. Octopus, shrimp, zucchini fritters...yum! Accompanied by a Greek Viognier and Greek Savignion Blanc. In and out in no time...the service was great, too! Great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonaldVIPDined on 9/6/2014We came here after watching Wicked a couple of blocks away. We were a group of 8 and they put us in this cool little room surrounded with wine bottles on shelves that was semi-separated from the rest of the dining room. It was a nice little spot and a great first impression. The food was great. The lamb chops were really good. The service was outstanding. I will be coming back when I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014We came here a couple of times before and the lamp chop was so good that my husband decided to come back again for that. The restaurant did not have mustard for the table but every time my husband asked for it, the servers always got it for him from the kitchen. Again this time my husband asked for mustard to eat with his lamp chops but our waiter replied right away that this restaurant did not have mustard at all, this is a Greek restaurant. The waiter did not make any effort to go ask the kitchen for it. The lamp was so dry this time so he called the waiter again to insist for the mustard then he got it this time and saying we got lucky to have it this time.??? This incident ruined our Friday dine out, we won't come back to Nemea again.
- Catching with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Great food and wine list. Enjoyed everything we ordered. Great plates to share. Will come again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek FoodpechluckVIPDined on 8/27/2014We visited here and tried a flight of Greek wines (they have a red or white flight) and were so intrigued by the small plates that we decided to make dinner just out of multiple orders of those rather than by ordering an entree (which are more substantial and 2 - 4 x as large but also pricewise more go close to the $30 range). At 2 small plates per person, we still felt quite full. The bread they serve is very good, particularly the olive bread!Special Features:
- Not inexpensiveGregoryb02Dined on 8/26/2014Not really a place for kids. Nice atmosphere, but leave the kids home. More expensive than Open Table led us to believe. Not to say it is 't worth it, but it was nicer and more expensive than I what I thought we were showing up to for a casual meal w/ family. FYI, There are losers hanging out in an area just 2 blocks away (by the rail) which the waiter encouraged us to avoid. For a good Gyro, go to Nick the Greek, just a 5 minute walk away, since Neama does NOT serve Gyro's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatSocalfoodtouristDined on 8/17/2014Food: comforting and and tasty Atmosphere: cozy Service: amateur Price:$36 is too much for lamb chops. Parking: Safeway garage validation did not work. Ended up paying $6 to park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!KBelleDined on 8/16/2014Everything was wonderful. We came to celebrate a birthday and the food, service, wine, and decor exceeded our expectations. We had heard it was good but it was even better. I recommend the lamb chops and dessert. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nemea is Superb!JackDined on 8/15/2014We so thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Nemea Greek Taverna. Food, service, atmosphere was excellent. We look forward to returning SOON!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.