96 South First Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nemeagreektaverna.com/
- Phone: 4082794225
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Su 4:00-10:00pm; M-W 5:00pm-10:00pm; Th-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Luis Moreno
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Fridays and Saturday there will be live Greek music.
A word from Nemea
Hercules defeated the Nemean lion and then probably enjoyed an excellent glass (or amphora) of Nemean wine. Nemea is a noted wine & food capitol of Pelopennese in southern Greece. Our food is influenced primarily by the flavors of the Pelopennese with accents from all of Greece. We boast an amazing wine list with many great wines from Greece, the Mediterranean and around the world. Come in and let our mixologists make you a craft cocktail or enjoy a well made classic martini as you enjoy the best Greek food in San Jose! We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nemea reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)good for groups (56)special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (26)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (16)great for lunch (13)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fancy, but not greathukilauDined on 9/22/2014My husband is Greek, so we had high hopes for this "high-end" Greek restaurant, but found the food average. A couple of the items on the online menu were not available and they were out of sparkling water the night we went. The octopus appetizer was fairly small and could have used some lemon. The shrimp saganaki only came with 4 shrimp that were unevenly cooked, some parts seemed undercooked. The dessert and the wines were very good. Some great Greek wine flights and an extensive list of bottles of Greek wines. The dessert with galaktoboureko and baklava with honey and ouzo ice cream were great. May be good to go for drinks and dessert. Service was excellent, but more of a production and did not feel like a really Greek-run restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LucasGoodEatsDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful dining experience: the food, restaurant and service. Lucas gave us newbies good menu advice and rounded out a great meal with incredible desserts.Special Features:
- Very good food but loud2fromExtonDined on 9/19/2014My wife cooks a mean Greek dinner. This might not have been up to hers, but the food was very good. We split the lamb meatballs for an appetizer. She had the salmon for her entree, while I had moussaka. Both tasty. The best part was the dessert - a sweet, sticky baklava which we split and which was probably better than hers. (Sorry, Barb). As we ate, a trio played Greek music, wowing us with the theme from Zorba the Greek. We'd definitely come back.Special Features:
- Ask for the olive breadJuliaLGDined on 9/19/2014The olive bread is worth the visit alone. However you have to ask for it. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Greek cuisineStaceyVIPDined on 9/19/2014I'm Greek and I cook a lot of Greek dishes handed down by my family. Nemea is one of only a handful of Greek restaurants that serves true Greek cuisine. Are there some nods to modern tastes? Yes, of course but the basics are all there and incredibly well prepared. We started with Spanikopeta which is usually served as a pie but in this case was served al la Tiropeta style (small triangles), crispy, piquant and wonderful. We also enjoyed the lamb keftedes (meatballs), the lamb chops and souvlaki. We finished with the Loukamades (Greek donuts), Baklava and Galaktaboureko (a semolina custard with filo). It was all delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely food and service at NemeaSummer77Dined on 9/18/2014We had a wonderful experience at Nemea. Fresh flavors, great seafood and a friendly hostess and super nice Greek waiter (Lucas) who gave great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprisedabbas2099Dined on 9/13/2014I picked the restaurant in the blind not knowing what to expect as we (my girlfriend and I) were going the Improv after dinner. We both loved the food and the atmosphere. I have gone to many Greek restaurants in the area (Dio Deka, Evvia, Kokkari, Opa, Odium,...) and this restaurant ranked just as good, if not better than the rest of them. My GF has the salmon which I tried and was perfectly cooked. I had their beef souvlaki was cooked perfectly to my order of medium-rare. The beef was very tender and flavorful. We followed the meal with their chocolate cake dessert and Greek coffee which again were outstanding. Would love to go back and try their Horiatiki salad and the lamb chops.Special Features:
- NemeafeedyourfaceDined on 9/12/2014Food was excellent and came to the table quick. Staff was friendly and helpful. Every dish recommended was a hit. We shared 4 of the small plates and the pita sampler. Plenty of food for 2 and leftovers. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OZLANDDined on 9/12/2014THE DECOR IS EXCELLENT. GREAT BAR WITH LOTS OF CHARACTER. THE SERVICE WAS TOP NOTCH. OUR WAITER WAS VERY HELPFUL. THE APPEITERS WERE WONDERFUL, BUT OUR MAIN COURSES WERE OKAY.
- Continues to be one of the bestJohnVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is my favorite downtown restaurant and definitely one of the best in the city. The food, service and atmosphere are exceptional, from the details like their homemade pita that melts in your mouth to the great selection of entrees. I've been coming since it opened and brought out of town guests who were very impressed as well. Thank you for opening this gem in SJ.Special Features:
- La PeligrosalapeligrosaDined on 9/6/2014Great place for pre-opera or other show dinner. We ordered a trio of appetizers that were ample enough for pre-show nosh. Octopus, shrimp, zucchini fritters...yum! Accompanied by a Greek Viognier and Greek Savignion Blanc. In and out in no time...the service was great, too! Great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonaldVIPDined on 9/6/2014We came here after watching Wicked a couple of blocks away. We were a group of 8 and they put us in this cool little room surrounded with wine bottles on shelves that was semi-separated from the rest of the dining room. It was a nice little spot and a great first impression. The food was great. The lamb chops were really good. The service was outstanding. I will be coming back when I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014We came here a couple of times before and the lamp chop was so good that my husband decided to come back again for that. The restaurant did not have mustard for the table but every time my husband asked for it, the servers always got it for him from the kitchen. Again this time my husband asked for mustard to eat with his lamp chops but our waiter replied right away that this restaurant did not have mustard at all, this is a Greek restaurant. The waiter did not make any effort to go ask the kitchen for it. The lamp was so dry this time so he called the waiter again to insist for the mustard then he got it this time and saying we got lucky to have it this time.??? This incident ruined our Friday dine out, we won't come back to Nemea again.
- Catching with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Great food and wine list. Enjoyed everything we ordered. Great plates to share. Will come again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek FoodpechluckVIPDined on 8/27/2014We visited here and tried a flight of Greek wines (they have a red or white flight) and were so intrigued by the small plates that we decided to make dinner just out of multiple orders of those rather than by ordering an entree (which are more substantial and 2 - 4 x as large but also pricewise more go close to the $30 range). At 2 small plates per person, we still felt quite full. The bread they serve is very good, particularly the olive bread!Special Features:
- Not inexpensiveGregoryb02Dined on 8/26/2014Not really a place for kids. Nice atmosphere, but leave the kids home. More expensive than Open Table led us to believe. Not to say it is 't worth it, but it was nicer and more expensive than I what I thought we were showing up to for a casual meal w/ family. FYI, There are losers hanging out in an area just 2 blocks away (by the rail) which the waiter encouraged us to avoid. For a good Gyro, go to Nick the Greek, just a 5 minute walk away, since Neama does NOT serve Gyro's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatSocalfoodtouristDined on 8/17/2014Food: comforting and and tasty Atmosphere: cozy Service: amateur Price:$36 is too much for lamb chops. Parking: Safeway garage validation did not work. Ended up paying $6 to park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!KBelleDined on 8/16/2014Everything was wonderful. We came to celebrate a birthday and the food, service, wine, and decor exceeded our expectations. We had heard it was good but it was even better. I recommend the lamb chops and dessert. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nemea is Superb!JackDined on 8/15/2014We so thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Nemea Greek Taverna. Food, service, atmosphere was excellent. We look forward to returning SOON!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best findFoodie4lifeDined on 8/12/2014Great food, superb service and comfortable atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a bit noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the wonderful food and service was attentive. Really noisy however. Don't go there for intimate conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- otgalVIPDined on 8/9/2014one dish was good, the other awful. decor & menu is old and tired. server was very nice.
- ExceptionalVivianDined on 8/9/2014We have been to this restaurant 3 times and at each visit the food and service was consistently exceptional and most enjoyable.Special Features:
- Very Good Return VisitVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 8/8/2014My family and I enjoyed our return visit to Nemea last week. We tried 3 bottles of white wine, all good but we loved the one from Santorini. The octopus, lamb meatballs, cheese and shrimp appetizers were delicious as well as the salads, chicken, lamb shank, branzino and salmon. Our only disappointment was that we were seated at a make-shift table with metal chairs set for 10 and our reservation was for 8. We had made our reservation 2 days previous; so they knew we were arriving around 6pm. Upon arrival, there were plenty of empty tables that could have been moved together for a more intimate experience with the regular dining room chairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waste of timeStavenatorDined on 8/6/2014Food was okay - nothing special - we had two of their signature dishes and ended up having leftovers which we threw out. Once the server found that my table wasn't ordering drinks, they pretty much forgot about us. Someone else came to help pack up leftovers - but we still had to wait over 10 minutes (sitting at an empty table) to get our bill... even then, they just tossed a dessert menu onto the table. I wouldn't return nor would I recommend this restaurant.
- Disappointed overallBNPPDined on 8/6/2014I had read the other reviews about the food at Nemea and was disappointed. My husband and I love Greek food and were excited to see a new restaurant offering Greek food in San Jose. However, the menu was very limiting and the food was bland.
- excellent, gorgeous venuePatsyclareDined on 8/6/2014Best Greek food in a long time. Wish I lived closer, would go often. The lamb was perfect, what can I say, it is a Greek restaurant.The restaurant is extremely beautifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatArMoDined on 8/1/2014Will come back to this restaurant again! Food was excellent, service was good, and location was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TudyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Wonderful restaurant. The food was excellent except the meat ordered by one member of our party was overcooked twice. Great service. Wonderful ambiance and open feel. Highly recommend.
- Good Overall but was disappointedTravelgirlVIPDined on 7/31/2014I read all the reviews and had high expectations. They had no hummus (they said it was Mediterranean not Greek but I've been to Greece and had great hummus). The waiter said the chef focused on food from Greece. When I asked where the chef was from in Greece, the waiter told us he was from Mexico! A lot of the food was pre-made - when I asked for changes (I cannot eat bell peppers which are on many of their dishes) and I was told they could not accommodate because the dishes were pre-made. The food was ok, but not great. The restaurant was lovely and great at the start of the meal (at 6pm) but by 7pm we could no longer hear each other talk. Not a great place for a date or conversation. The waiter was ok, but not very accommodating.Special Features:
- Always GreatJohnVIPDined on 7/25/2014Nemea is my favorite downtown spot with consistent great food and excellent service. Whether we go for a quiet dinner or with friends we are always more than satisfied with this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nemea luke warmFluffyDined on 7/24/2014Waiter was great. His voice was heard through pretty high level of background noise. Friendly. Descriptive. Tended us nicely. Our best dish was salmon with lentils. Fries were warm, not hot. Food pretty salty. Riblets mostly fatty. Hard to find recommended underground parking entrance.
- SO GOODfoodieDined on 7/17/2014The food was so good, dessert was AMAZING, and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- NicetogetoutNicetogetoutDined on 7/17/20142nd visit to Nemea Restaurant. The lemon egg soup was very good but my pork chop (with bacon) was dry and over-cooked. The flatbread was very good. I was going to order the rib-eye steak but considering how the pork chop was cooked, I am glad I did not. To have a $46.00 rib-eye steak not cooked properly would have been a shame.Special Features:
- Amazing staffRobynVIPDined on 7/16/2014This is a super cool venue downtown San Jose. The food is authentic and really, really good. (Worth the calories!) And the staff here is incredible. It's not often a hostess stands out, but Nemea's was amazing- Kayley was very sweet and accommodating. Our server, Tomas, was wonderful, too. He was patient with the 10 million vegetarian questions I had and made some excellent suggestions.
- Great food nice locationMrtokenDined on 7/16/2014If you are looking for a great dinner spot in Down Town San Jose, this is the place. Great food nice location. There is outside dinning but limited setting. The noise level does get high so talking will be a challenge. Good wine selection and a GREAT menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good eatinglove2eatoutDined on 7/12/2014The food was great! We had lamb ribs and grilled octopus for appetizers and both were amazing! The octopus was delicious and tender! The main courses were also great! Everyone was licking their fingers. The only negative comment I can make is that our waiter was not very attentive... Our whole group said they'd love to go back to Namea..Special Features:
- Great Greek In San JoseSmithFamilyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Having to travel to Los Gatos or Palo Alto for some of the best Greek food in the past has often limited our travels, but Nemea fills the void in San Jose. Great atmosphere and our Server (Amelia) was excellent. Only concern was the meal was accompanying servers were too regimented. One basket of bread (had to ask three times for more) and similar experience for other requests from them. While out main waitress was awesome, she was hindered by her support team. As for the food, excellent from the small plates (we tried many of them) to the entrees. The finale with baklava and various other treats was a great way to wrap it up. Great time and can only improve over time.Special Features:
- Dinning experiencefoodieDined on 7/9/2014Good food & great service. Wish there were more vegetarian EntreesSpecial Features:
- nice set upcowgirlconnieDined on 7/6/2014Our party of 6 was seated in a quiet, semi-private area which was lovely. The appetizers and drinks were tasty and fun and everyone loved their entre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.