696 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Phone: 2129809099
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nello Balan
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Nello Restaurant
Fine Northern Italian cuisine is offered in a casual yet sophisticated setting where New York's elite congregate to see and be seen. Fresh flowers enhance the brightly lit dining room that opens onto Madison Avenue in warmer weather. Selections include pastas and fresh seafood with their signature shaved truffles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nello Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (7)romantic (7)notable wine list (6)hot spot (5)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)scenic view (3)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Terrible experiencejpnovisDined on 9/17/2014We had a 11:15pm reservation at Nello's and arrived at the restaurant on time. We hadn't barely sat on our table when we were rushed to order because the kitchen would close in ten minutes. We looked at the menu and promptly order our main course. The staff rudely answered that there wasnt'n enough time to prepare that and some other dishes, since they were closing the kitchen. I asked why have late reservations if they cannot offer a proper service - they had 11:30pm available as well. I got no answer. And we had the whole staff watching us eat, walking around the table. They did not offer the desert menu or any coffee at all. We had the most terrible 30 minutes dinner and we payed about USD130 per person.Special Features:
- Pasta Truffel 250 dollar per personTruffel250Dined on 9/12/2014I went last saturday on Nello's and they offered me next to the card a menu and also a past truffel without mentionning the price. We have token that and it was delicious. Less delicious was the bill of 500 dollar for two persons .... Better to inform your customers about this in advance - surely if the rest of the dishes are around the 25 dollar.Special Features:
- Shockingly ExpensiveBayshoreRoseDined on 8/20/2014We have gone to Nello in the past and it was a neighborhood gem. We hadn't been for awhile. The wine list should have been the first clue. A $35 bottle of wine for $150. Only one cab under $100. Then all of the entres around $50. The food was good. Not great. My halibut was a little overcooked. The tuna tartare was very good. The restaurant was the only one in our three day trip that was half full. All of the others were bursting with people and bustling with activity. There are too many good, reasonable restaurants in Manhattan to waste money on this one. Don't know how they stay in business. The table of six next to us was arguing their bill when we left. Not a good experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2014I have been going to Nello for many years,location main factor and always had a little issue.I will never go back ,this time they over did,starting with bringing the wrong glass of (if you ask for a glass they will bring you the least expensive ,betting you don't know the difference)wine.Then Because I have an accent they added 20% tip,so I dinner with my 14 year old daughter share salad 2pastas main course and one glass of wine $200 a bit over the top.
- Eh!JessieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Be careful of the $15 bottle of water. Food was ok, nothing special...especially for those prices!
- HorribleTempoVIPDined on 8/3/2014This may be the worst dining experience I have ever had and I have been to many wonderful restaurants in NY, CA, and elsewhere. The service was awful- they did not ask us if we wanted drinks and 'forgot' the order we did make. This annoyance was compounded by watching other customers receive drinks within even asking. The food was unbelievably expensive with appetizers priced like entrees, etc. This would have been Ok if the food was even good. It was not. I was served plain steamed broccoli with an overcooked swordfish steal less than 1/2 inch thick. I do no think this resembled what was described in the menu. The wait staff ranged between incompetent and rude to us. Again it was obvious that known customers got special treatment.
- Price/Value Ratio poorfinedinerVIPDined on 7/21/2014While the food is perfectly fine, even good (not outstanding), the prices are absurd. A few slices of artichokes and avocado should never cost $27-even on Madison Ave. And if it does, salt (available upon request) should not be delivered in a diner shaker, but rather sea salt or other good quality salt in a nice vessel. Only breadsticks, no bread, served. No butter or olive oil. Gnocchi was very good, but under-seasoned and there were no truffles or expensive ingredients meriting a $42 price tag. And no cup of latte is worth $12 (altho was good), I didn't do my homework -my fault. There are SO many great Italian restaurants in this 'hood, this just isn't necessary. Nice spot for wine & people watching - just go elsewhere for dinner!Special Features:
- Cost outrageousNotworthitDined on 7/17/2014Having dined all over the world in many of the most expensive and famous restaurants I must say this one is over the top from a price perspective. Food was fine and as expected but the prices of everything from the beginning to end were simply over the top. A meal like this is simply not nearly worth the price they charge. $30 for a desert just doesn't make any sense. And did not ask if we wanted bottled water-just kept pouring it at $15/bottle. There are lots of place in NYC that are great for Italian food that is as good or better for fair prices. No need to ever return even if someone else is paying.Special Features:
- Handicaps, No ChanceOacjDined on 7/11/2014I use a wheelchair to move around. During the lunch I needed to go the restroom, and that was the time the waiter told to me that their restroom was located in the basement...disgusting situation! What about an old person that has walking difficulties. This situation happens in NYC, told to be one of the most important cities in the world, in a developed country...it´s a shame. In my country, the public authorities don´t allow a restaurant to operate if it is not completely accessible.Special Features:
- AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014Loved the live music, a group of 3 musicians passed by and started playing songs from the 50s and 60s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 12 reviews are from the Nello Restaurant reviews archive.
- Over PricedexploringNYCDined on 6/13/2014Way over priced for what you get in terms of food, service, ambience and location. If you were going to spend the amount of money a dinner for two costs here you might as well go to a more known restaurant. Definitely not worth it and will not go again...ever.Special Features:
- thomasVIPDined on 5/13/2014I'm not sure I'd call 62nd & Madison a neighborhood, but this restaurant is a gem, a very expensive one. But the pastas are TOP quality, the service professional & the scene very vibrant.Special Features:
- No No Nello!pattycakeDined on 10/30/2012This restaurant came recommended but my group of 5 were all disappointed. We had a reservation but were not seated for 20-30 minutes after. The noise level was deafening and the wait staff rude-or maybe they were as stressed out as we were in that atmosphere. They were obviously trying to move the table as quickly as possible - we were barely seated when the waiter asked to take our food order. We were in the middle of the room with waiters reaching and carrying trays all around our heads - we constantly had to duck out of the way. The food was OK, but the prices ridiculously high. It was so hot, loud and cramped we couldn't wait to get out. With all the great restaurants in NY, I'm surprised this place had a crowd!
- Asked for a special of theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012Asked for a special of the day. When the checo came li discovered it Washington more then the double of normal dishes. A rip off. Very expensive. Not worthy..
- The restaurant is medium,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012The restaurant is medium, hi prices, NYC has much better opcions for this price. Maitre has offered a burrata(very nice italian muzzarela),and don´t say us the price. US$ 50,00 plus tax for a individual burrata. If you choose any suggestion, ask for the price, we don´t ask and pay more than a double for a single menu´s opcions. O restaurante é medio, preços caros pelo que oferece.Tem muito restaurante melhor em NYC, Não siga nenhuma sugestão do atendente sem perguntar o preço antes, não é um restaurante honesto. Pedimos 2 burratas por sugestão dele e gastamos US$ 50,00 cada, US$ 100,00 só por duas burratas, pedimos mais 1 sugestão fora do cardápio e ele cobrou o dobro de um prato normal, italiano malandro pensa q somos otários, fuja.
- Nice place on Madison Avenue,gvfdinsVIPDined on 8/22/2012Nice place on Madison Avenue, but way too expensive for what you get.Special Features:
- Don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/5/2012A nice looking place on the upper east side. Knew it would be expensive, however, outrageous is more like it. My husband and I each ordered appetizers and shared one of their special pastas of the day, and shared a large bottle of pellegrino, bill was $200. Appetizers were fine, nothing special. The mushroom pasta (which we later found out was $65), was gritty. Would not go back.
- Expensive and simpleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2012The food is great as well the location. Perfect for lunch / brunch during the spring / summerSpecial Features:
- Waiter did not tell us theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2012Waiter did not tell us the cost of the specials to our surprise when we got the check the cost for the special was $125 for a pasta . We should have been I formed of the price for we wouLd not Have ordered it. Won't go there again
- Terrible!! And the day I wasAlizaEloiseVIPDined on 6/22/2012Terrible!! And the day I was there it was sweltering!!! The air conditioners were broken and when I asked about it they said they would turn them up, failing to inform me they were broken!
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012Very Nice , the food was amazing and also the service, but everything is very expensive.Special Features:
- Very expensive. 15 dollarsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/21/2012Very expensive. 15 dollars for a bottle of water, 22 for a mohito and 29 for a Caesar. Shall I sAy more.Special Features: