Nellie's Sports Bar
900 U Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Nellie's Sports Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nelliessportsbar.com/
- Phone: 2023326355x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 12:30pm; Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: & Saturday: 3:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, American, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Maria Rondon and German Flores
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Nellie"s is the perfect choice for your next event. Whether you prefer to cater at your home or if you'd like us to host your party at Nellie's itself, our event planners will work with you to provide a tailored solution to your entertaining needs. Please contact us at 202-332-NELL (6355) or consult www.NelliesSportsBar.com for more information on our events and catering packages.
- Entertainment: Every Monday we have PokerFace. Texas Hold'em Poker. Every Tuesday is Karaoke Hosted By Howard Hicks aka Gladys Kravitz. Every Wednesday we have Smart Ass Triva. Selected Thursdays are Drag Bingo for a cause Hosted by Chanel Devereaux and others. Every Friday is Kickoff featuring Matt Bailer. Saturdays we feature Guest DJs. Every Sunday is Drag Brunch. All You can eat Buffet with a show! For parties of more than 10 you MUST make the reservation a week to a week and a half in advance.
- Special Events: Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to have a special event at Nellie's! If you are making a reservation please enter your birthday/event in the comments section. We would love to put you or your groups name on our Nellie Chalk Boards!
- Cross Street: Corner of 9th and U Streets NW
- Public Transit: We are a block and a half East of the 10th street side of the U Street Cardozo Metro Station on the Green and Yellow Lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Nellie's Sports Bar is located on the corner of 9 & U Streets, NW in Washington, DC, one block from the U Street/African American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo Metro. If you'd rather drive to Nellie's, parking is plentiful at the nearby V Street, NW parking lot. Driving directions are available at our web site. nelliessportsbar.com
A word from Nellie's Sports Bar
Our name is a tribute to the eccentric and hospitable character of Doug Schantz's great grandmother. The welcoming and inclusive spirit of Nellie's Sports Bar is reflective of the lady who loved to entertain. Nellie's is unique because we are locally owned; serve as a meeting place for local amateur sports teams; feature an expansive rooftop deck with its own bar and amazing views; feature ten flat-panel TVs, a stadium-sized screen, and 3 distinct bars; serve a wide variety of food, including Nellie's-style lighter fare; Nellie's food portions are customizable for one person or the entire team; host a variety of distinctive special events; free WiFi; authentic Griffith Stadium sinks; antique showcases and historic photographs; elegant English pub room walls, stained-glass and back bar mirrors; eighteenth-century lighting fixtures from the Baltimore's Penn Station; unique signage, such as our "OPEN" sign and our vintage scoreboardContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Nellie's Sports Bar - Best Restaurants in U Street Corridor ›
Nellie's Sports Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (57)good for groups (46)special occasion (30)hot spot (29)neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (12)great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (10)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Sunday Drag BrunchDCRower14Dined on 10/19/2014This is a fun place to see a drag show during brunch. The drag queens are much better than other places I have gone for drag brunch. It's a great time when you go with a group of friends.Special Features:
- FunPartyDined on 10/12/2014I love the waitresses and the drag show. The waitresses are so nice. The food is yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerformanceMissyDined on 9/28/2014The sisters where great! Classy friendly🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Fab.comOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This was the most Fabulous experience I've ever in life experienced.... attending the brunch for my friends birthday I was so pleased how everyone made the birthday girls and guys feel all special....It also uplifted my spirits after A literally hell of a week...the prices were great... the food was very tasteful....... And the queens o gosh those Queens served for dear life :) I felt right at home and my girls loved it to...we made a promise to go at least once a month as kind of a treat to our self for laughter and fun.. and If you have not been you beta get your tail in there....I just feel in love love love ....and you will too.Special Features:
- ClaudDined on 9/27/2014Great food and great entertainment at the Drag Brunch. Lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShaniquaLivingtheDreamDined on 9/20/2014Shaniqua was a bit offensive to the patrons in a rude manner. For example, the patrons were allowed to enter the venue prior to her approval. She erratically made every patron rise from their chosen seat and made them sit at the table for which she chose. Coincidentally, my guests were seated at the very same table for which they originally chose. My companion was truly intimidated by her.Special Features:
- Always a good time!mbeckDined on 9/17/2014Nellies never disappoints, from the friendly bar staff to the delicious food and very strong drinks. I always find myself returning again and again.Special Features:
- MaggieDined on 9/14/2014I had a wonderful time. It was very entertaining and the food was good. The performance was very entertaining. I wii be back.Special Features:
- MessymarvinDined on 9/14/2014I was not impressed with the food. The waffles were gooey and hard to swallow and the bacon was too crisp. The entertainment was off the hook.Special Features:
- entertainingluv2brunchDined on 9/7/2014Great place for brunch, the food was fantastic, kudos to the chef, the entertainment is fun, energetic, and I will be going again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good time celebrating BdayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The food is great and the show is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Too much FUN!JossDined on 9/6/2014Great for a girls outing. Prepare to have a good time. Bring single dollar bills!Special Features:
- Still talking about itSexySag18Dined on 8/31/2014It was clear from the beginning that it's all about having a good time. The Drag brunch was wonderful. The food was good and they had plenty of it. The entertainers were energetic and you could tell that they spend a lot of time mastering the person they are impersonating. Beyoncé better watch out because she has some competition at Nellie's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC VisitToniDined on 8/31/2014While visiting DC - we made reservations for the Drag Brunch. Brunch is a buffet with a mimosa or bloody mary. Food is decent, was a little cold, but the atmosphere and show made up for that. Definitely enjoyed our time there. It's best to make reservations as it's usually booked up and crowded.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014My group attended Nellie's for two birthday celebrations, most of my group had been there before, but some where new comer's. Both times were outstanding, we all had a wonderful time and will definitely come again and again. The beautiful ladies that make up the staff there could not be any better, they are the best. Also, the food was outstanding, fresh and delicious. The ladies in my group will surely return for another fun filled day. Thanks again.Special Features:
- Draggggg Your Behind There!RessieReviewDined on 8/31/2014I took my daughter to Drag Brunch for her birthday. We had THE best time! Also in attendance was my mom, aunt, and friends. They all had the best time. My mom was invited to come to dance with one of the queens during her performance (THE BEST). They were really surprised about how great the food was. Totally unexpected. We are CERTAINLY coming back! I have a gang of friends that were jealous because they were not invited. Keep up the great work and entertainment Nellies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- R U Nellie enough?inowhatilikeDined on 8/30/2014My friends and I went to Nellie's Brunch on a Saturday afternoon and had a FANTASTIC time! The service is great, food was fantastic (the mimosas aren't bad either...) and the ladies in the show were fabulously amazing! I can't say enough good things about Nellie's! My friends and I can't wait to return!Special Features:
- I loved the placeTriniDined on 8/30/2014I had a wonderful time. The only thing I wish was that the place was a little bigger because it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticpeteyDined on 8/30/2014Amazing from beginning til end I njoyed myself. Great experience very entertaining my birthday wad the best. My guest could not stop tslking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- N2skincareDined on 8/24/2014Love, Love, Love visiting this place. No matter what time of the year I visit this place, it always leave me wanting more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Nellies brunch is a definite bucket list to do. We had an awesome time u will definitely go again hopefully before summer endsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchJeanineDined on 8/9/2014Amazing experience and great talent. I plan to attend oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a blast!LisaDined on 7/27/2014I love going to the drag brunch at Nellie's. The waitstaff is really attentive and make sure that you have what you need to enjoy your brunch. The drag show is really fun! You'll be singing at the top of your lungs, dancing in your seat, and laughing the whole time. Bring $20 in singles for the show, and I highly recommend this place for a birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014I really enjoyed my experienced at Nellies Sports bar for the Drag brunch. The food was very good and seaonsed well. The buffet style setup was perfect for the occasion. The waitresses were charismatic and attentive. The cost was appropriate. The show was so entertaining that the entertainers made me feel like I was amongst family and friends. I will definitely return for another great Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag Queen Brunch!!SeptemberxxvDined on 7/27/2014I heard a lot of talk about the drag queen brunch from friends and that it is a must see and I have to say, it definitely is!! The servers were the actual performers and they did a great job doing both. I jumped out my seat and danced a few times I was so excited. The all you can eat buffet had a variety of selections and it was good, I didn't just have one plate :) I will definitely be back. Book early because reservations go fast!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch Evernewlywed07182014Dined on 7/20/2014This place is amazing. It was the perfect end to our weekend wedding celebration! The first time we have ever seen "real" food on a buffet: everything from eggs to BBQ ribs! All of it delicious! The entrainment was outstanding and the service superb! I will NE VERY visit DC without going to Nellie's. The Queens are funny, friendly, and they give back to the community. Word of warning.....bring your sense of humor and leave your arrogance at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleiLiketoEatDined on 7/19/2014I know this is a sports bar, but the service was TERRIBLE! I walked in with a group of friends ready to sit down, grab some food, and chill. The service was terrible. We were barely acknowledged by the staff. We couldn't even tell the staff from the customers. We were seated at a table with limited menus and no one came to check on us. We left and I doubt anyone even noticed.
- Just Fab***DniceDinesDined on 7/19/2014I have been coming to the Drag Brunch for more than a year now with my family and friends. Each one, Teach one......Most had never been before and ALL were in awwwe at the fabulous entertainment, spectacular food and most of all the great service that was delivered. My Favs Capri Bloomingdale and Ms. Lee have touched my heart in so many ways. I just love them and Nellies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for a groupOpossumBlossomDined on 7/13/2014I had some family in town, and this was a great way to entertain the whole family! Definitely not for prudes, but if you have a good sense of humor, want to laugh and have a good time, this is the spot for you! Make sure you bring cash so that you can tip the performers.Special Features:
- Yaaaas Hunty!LeTiniBleuDined on 7/13/2014Me and my girlfriends had a blast here! The performances were great and the food was surprising good. I liked that they had a decent selection. The space is kind of small but for the time you're there it's tolerable. The performance that had Paris Re-Burning was when the Mistress of the afternoon was performing Rihanna's song and she literally walked out and performed in the middle of the STREET! That's fierceness at it's finest! Great way to spend Sunday afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outside the boxdininganewDined on 7/5/2014Nellie's is a great place to gather with friends and let your hair down. Enjoy good food and drinks will you sing along with performers that give there all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag Queen Brunch was Incredible!PartiesbySusiDined on 6/29/2014Great food, great performances, and lots of laughs! Thanks for a splendid time at the Drag Queen brunch! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomenessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014I had a GREAT time at Nellies. The food was outstanding. Everyone was so nice, upbeat, and fun. The show was amazing. I would definitely go again. Thank you for a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Queens Have It!!!FancyGyrlEatsDined on 6/29/2014I went to Nellie's for their drag brunch and let me say I had a WONDERFUL time. Not only did the queens have me dancing and singing from my seat but the food was absolutely delicious. There was fruit, cupcakes, breakfast food, light snacks and lunch. Not to mention the drinks were awesome. The show was amazing as well. Each queen brought her own flair to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great BrunchStacieDined on 6/29/2014I had a great time at the Sunday Drag Brunch. I took my grandmother for the first time and she loved it. I will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 214 reviews are from the Nellie's Sports Bar reviews archive.
- Laugh your way thru the MorningOpossumBlossomDined on 6/15/2014Nellie's Sunday morning Drag Brunch is such a treat -- I went with a group of girlfriends for our June birthdays. A Drag Queen will serve you with a choice of Mimosa or Bloody Mary. The brunch is buffet style, so you get exactly what you want. After everyone is settled with food and drink, there is a show -- lively, entertaining, and funny! Bring plenty of 1 dollar bills (or cash so that you can get 1's from a server) to tip the performers. I think I tipped about 20 dollars in total. The crowd seemed a bit hung over (I went to the 12:30 brunch). Next time, I'm going to try the 10:30 brunch. My hope is the audience will be a bit more lively (a performance is a give and take, after all). Come ready to cheer, eat, and tip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timelovedcDined on 6/8/2014Went for drag with a bunch of friends food was good and the entertainment was fabulous. Staff was very engaged and made sure we were very well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014Such a fun experience coming for the drag brunch. Thanks for making our experience positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outingJuanygirlDined on 6/8/2014My sister, friends and I had a wonderful time. We loved all of the performers. We especially enjoyed the Beyonce perfprmance. The food was good and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag Brunch a MustTryAnythingOnceDined on 6/8/2014So much fun! Definitely an experience to share with some friends you feel comfortable letting your hair down with - and if you're a straight dude, be ready for some serious teasing, but it really is all in good fun. BRING LOTS of $1 BILLS, these laaydies are putting on an amazing show, tip well and often! The drag queens are fabulous as are their outfits.... don't miss Beyonce! P.S. - the brunch itself is buffet style and food is nothing to write home about, but that's not really what you go for. 1st mimosa or bloody mary are included in the brunch price.Special Features: