Nellie's Sports Bar
900 U Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Nellie's Sports Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nelliessportsbar.com/
- Phone: (202) 332-6355
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 12:30pm; Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: & Saturday: 3:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, American, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Maria Rondon and German Flores
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Nellie"s is the perfect choice for your next event. Whether you prefer to cater at your home or if you'd like us to host your party at Nellie's itself, our event planners will work with you to provide a tailored solution to your entertaining needs. Please contact us at 202-332-NELL (6355) or consult www.NelliesSportsBar.com for more information on our events and catering packages.
- Entertainment: Every Monday we have PokerFace. Texas Hold'em Poker. Every Tuesday is Karaoke Hosted By Howard Hicks aka Gladys Kravitz. Every Wednesday we have Smart Ass Triva. Selected Thursdays are Drag Bingo for a cause Hosted by Chanel Devereaux and others. Every Friday is Kickoff featuring Matt Bailer. Saturdays we feature Guest DJs. Every Sunday is Drag Brunch. All You can eat Buffet with a show! For parties of more than 10 you MUST make the reservation a week to a week and a half in advance.
- Special Events: Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to have a special event at Nellie's! If you are making a reservation please enter your birthday/event in the comments section. We would love to put you or your groups name on our Nellie Chalk Boards!
- Cross Street: Corner of 9th and U Streets NW
- Public Transit: We are a block and a half East of the 10th street side of the U Street Cardozo Metro Station on the Green and Yellow Lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Nellie's Sports Bar is located on the corner of 9 & U Streets, NW in Washington, DC, one block from the U Street/African American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo Metro. If you'd rather drive to Nellie's, parking is plentiful at the nearby V Street, NW parking lot. Driving directions are available at our web site. nelliessportsbar.com
A word from Nellie's Sports Bar
Our name is a tribute to the eccentric and hospitable character of Doug Schantz's great grandmother. The welcoming and inclusive spirit of Nellie's Sports Bar is reflective of the lady who loved to entertain. Nellie's is unique because we are locally owned; serve as a meeting place for local amateur sports teams; feature an expansive rooftop deck with its own bar and amazing views; feature ten flat-panel TVs, a stadium-sized screen, and 3 distinct bars; serve a wide variety of food, including Nellie's-style lighter fare; Nellie's food portions are customizable for one person or the entire team; host a variety of distinctive special events; free WiFi; authentic Griffith Stadium sinks; antique showcases and historic photographs; elegant English pub room walls, stained-glass and back bar mirrors; eighteenth-century lighting fixtures from the Baltimore's Penn Station; unique signage, such as our "OPEN" sign and our vintage scoreboardContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Nellie's Sports Bar - Best Restaurants in U Street Corridor ›
Nellie's Sports Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (52)good for groups (44)special occasion (31)hot spot (28)neighborhood gem (21)vibrant bar scene (20)great for lunch (13)fit for foodies (10)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Awesome BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014My girlfriends and I had a blast. The food and entertainment was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nellie's Drag Brunch the bomb.com!BrinagirlDined on 11/15/2014I and 5 of my female girlfriends attended Nellie's Drag Brunch on Saturday, November 15, 2014, 12:30 p.m. show. First of all the LAVISH BRUNCH CUISINE was out of this world! Every bite, every taste and each and every crumb was absolutely outstanding!! (The cooks ROCK-OUT)!! Last but not at all the least - the drag professionals were out of control!!!! - each and every performance was so entertaining and the energy was on 100,000!!!!!!!!!! We had fun from the time we entered the building until it all ended and not to mention the hospitality from the staff was impeccable (great job)! I will be returning for the Drag Brunch again soon and very soon but until my feet meets Nellie's ground.........toodles professionals :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMiggyDined on 11/9/2014Cant wait to go back....food was awesome...entertainment was awesome...overall great experience....no judgement zone!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014First timer at this event. It was fantastic and I had a ball; the entertainment was exciting and the food was excellent!Special Features:
- Birthday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I love the food and the drinks were so gd and the peformances were excellent the Queens definitely made me feel like a Queen on my Day thank you for a wonderful timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Housewives of Benning RoadDebbieDined on 11/2/2014I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food was great. I would recommend this to my friends and family. The housewives of Benning road was a name given my Nay Nay and gave a friend in the group a nickname of Miguel. I loved the whole experience and will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- barbfromdcVIPDined on 11/1/2014If I wanted to spend time in a sports bar, which I don't, then I likely would love Nellie's as there are multiple tvs blaring multiple games at full volume constantly. Pleasant young crowd, but I like somewhere with chairs and tables and able to hear my companions talk.Special Features:
- Great Drag BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014This was my second experience at Nellie's Drag Brunch, and again it was a very pleasant experience. Good food and a great show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and entertainmentTerryDined on 10/26/2014I had a great customer experience at Nelliie's. My friends and I can't wait to go back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Drag BrunchExcellentDined on 10/25/2014Had an EXCELLENT time at Nellie's Drag Brunch!! The food for brunch was amazing and the ladies performing in drag were fantastic!! We had an excellent time and what a way to support the LGBT community. I would surley go back and bring more friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Drag BrunchDCRower14Dined on 10/19/2014This is a fun place to see a drag show during brunch. The drag queens are much better than other places I have gone for drag brunch. It's a great time when you go with a group of friends.Special Features:
- FunPartyDined on 10/12/2014I love the waitresses and the drag show. The waitresses are so nice. The food is yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerformanceMissyDined on 9/28/2014The sisters where great! Classy friendly🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Fab.comOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This was the most Fabulous experience I've ever in life experienced.... attending the brunch for my friends birthday I was so pleased how everyone made the birthday girls and guys feel all special....It also uplifted my spirits after A literally hell of a week...the prices were great... the food was very tasteful....... And the queens o gosh those Queens served for dear life :) I felt right at home and my girls loved it to...we made a promise to go at least once a month as kind of a treat to our self for laughter and fun.. and If you have not been you beta get your tail in there....I just feel in love love love ....and you will too.Special Features:
- ClaudDined on 9/27/2014Great food and great entertainment at the Drag Brunch. Lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShaniquaLivingtheDreamDined on 9/20/2014Shaniqua was a bit offensive to the patrons in a rude manner. For example, the patrons were allowed to enter the venue prior to her approval. She erratically made every patron rise from their chosen seat and made them sit at the table for which she chose. Coincidentally, my guests were seated at the very same table for which they originally chose. My companion was truly intimidated by her.Special Features:
- Always a good time!mbeckVIPDined on 9/17/2014Nellies never disappoints, from the friendly bar staff to the delicious food and very strong drinks. I always find myself returning again and again.Special Features:
- MaggieDined on 9/14/2014I had a wonderful time. It was very entertaining and the food was good. The performance was very entertaining. I wii be back.Special Features:
- MessymarvinDined on 9/14/2014I was not impressed with the food. The waffles were gooey and hard to swallow and the bacon was too crisp. The entertainment was off the hook.Special Features:
- entertainingluv2brunchDined on 9/7/2014Great place for brunch, the food was fantastic, kudos to the chef, the entertainment is fun, energetic, and I will be going again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good time celebrating BdayaadeniseDined on 9/6/2014The food is great and the show is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Too much FUN!JossDined on 9/6/2014Great for a girls outing. Prepare to have a good time. Bring single dollar bills!Special Features:
- Still talking about itSexySag18Dined on 8/31/2014It was clear from the beginning that it's all about having a good time. The Drag brunch was wonderful. The food was good and they had plenty of it. The entertainers were energetic and you could tell that they spend a lot of time mastering the person they are impersonating. Beyoncé better watch out because she has some competition at Nellie's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC VisitToniDined on 8/31/2014While visiting DC - we made reservations for the Drag Brunch. Brunch is a buffet with a mimosa or bloody mary. Food is decent, was a little cold, but the atmosphere and show made up for that. Definitely enjoyed our time there. It's best to make reservations as it's usually booked up and crowded.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014My group attended Nellie's for two birthday celebrations, most of my group had been there before, but some where new comer's. Both times were outstanding, we all had a wonderful time and will definitely come again and again. The beautiful ladies that make up the staff there could not be any better, they are the best. Also, the food was outstanding, fresh and delicious. The ladies in my group will surely return for another fun filled day. Thanks again.Special Features:
- Draggggg Your Behind There!RessieReviewDined on 8/31/2014I took my daughter to Drag Brunch for her birthday. We had THE best time! Also in attendance was my mom, aunt, and friends. They all had the best time. My mom was invited to come to dance with one of the queens during her performance (THE BEST). They were really surprised about how great the food was. Totally unexpected. We are CERTAINLY coming back! I have a gang of friends that were jealous because they were not invited. Keep up the great work and entertainment Nellies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- R U Nellie enough?inowhatilikeDined on 8/30/2014My friends and I went to Nellie's Brunch on a Saturday afternoon and had a FANTASTIC time! The service is great, food was fantastic (the mimosas aren't bad either...) and the ladies in the show were fabulously amazing! I can't say enough good things about Nellie's! My friends and I can't wait to return!Special Features:
- I loved the placeTriniDined on 8/30/2014I had a wonderful time. The only thing I wish was that the place was a little bigger because it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticpeteyDined on 8/30/2014Amazing from beginning til end I njoyed myself. Great experience very entertaining my birthday wad the best. My guest could not stop tslking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- N2skincareDined on 8/24/2014Love, Love, Love visiting this place. No matter what time of the year I visit this place, it always leave me wanting more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Nellies brunch is a definite bucket list to do. We had an awesome time u will definitely go again hopefully before summer endsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchJeanineDined on 8/9/2014Amazing experience and great talent. I plan to attend oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 228 reviews are from the Nellie's Sports Bar reviews archive.
- Had a blast!LisaDined on 7/27/2014I love going to the drag brunch at Nellie's. The waitstaff is really attentive and make sure that you have what you need to enjoy your brunch. The drag show is really fun! You'll be singing at the top of your lungs, dancing in your seat, and laughing the whole time. Bring $20 in singles for the show, and I highly recommend this place for a birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014I really enjoyed my experienced at Nellies Sports bar for the Drag brunch. The food was very good and seaonsed well. The buffet style setup was perfect for the occasion. The waitresses were charismatic and attentive. The cost was appropriate. The show was so entertaining that the entertainers made me feel like I was amongst family and friends. I will definitely return for another great Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag Queen Brunch!!SeptemberxxvDined on 7/27/2014I heard a lot of talk about the drag queen brunch from friends and that it is a must see and I have to say, it definitely is!! The servers were the actual performers and they did a great job doing both. I jumped out my seat and danced a few times I was so excited. The all you can eat buffet had a variety of selections and it was good, I didn't just have one plate :) I will definitely be back. Book early because reservations go fast!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch Evernewlywed07182014Dined on 7/20/2014This place is amazing. It was the perfect end to our weekend wedding celebration! The first time we have ever seen "real" food on a buffet: everything from eggs to BBQ ribs! All of it delicious! The entrainment was outstanding and the service superb! I will NE VERY visit DC without going to Nellie's. The Queens are funny, friendly, and they give back to the community. Word of warning.....bring your sense of humor and leave your arrogance at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleiLiketoEatDined on 7/19/2014I know this is a sports bar, but the service was TERRIBLE! I walked in with a group of friends ready to sit down, grab some food, and chill. The service was terrible. We were barely acknowledged by the staff. We couldn't even tell the staff from the customers. We were seated at a table with limited menus and no one came to check on us. We left and I doubt anyone even noticed.
- Just Fab***DniceDinesDined on 7/19/2014I have been coming to the Drag Brunch for more than a year now with my family and friends. Each one, Teach one......Most had never been before and ALL were in awwwe at the fabulous entertainment, spectacular food and most of all the great service that was delivered. My Favs Capri Bloomingdale and Ms. Lee have touched my heart in so many ways. I just love them and Nellies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for a groupOpossumBlossomDined on 7/13/2014I had some family in town, and this was a great way to entertain the whole family! Definitely not for prudes, but if you have a good sense of humor, want to laugh and have a good time, this is the spot for you! Make sure you bring cash so that you can tip the performers.Special Features:
- Yaaaas Hunty!LeTiniBleuDined on 7/13/2014Me and my girlfriends had a blast here! The performances were great and the food was surprising good. I liked that they had a decent selection. The space is kind of small but for the time you're there it's tolerable. The performance that had Paris Re-Burning was when the Mistress of the afternoon was performing Rihanna's song and she literally walked out and performed in the middle of the STREET! That's fierceness at it's finest! Great way to spend Sunday afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.