Nellie's Sports Bar
900 U Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Nellie's Sports Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nelliessportsbar.com/
- Phone: 2023326355x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 12:30pm; Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: & Saturday: 3:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, American, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Maria Rondon and German Flores
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Nellie"s is the perfect choice for your next event. Whether you prefer to cater at your home or if you'd like us to host your party at Nellie's itself, our event planners will work with you to provide a tailored solution to your entertaining needs. Please contact us at 202-332-NELL (6355) or consult www.NelliesSportsBar.com for more information on our events and catering packages.
- Entertainment: Every Monday we have PokerFace. Texas Hold'em Poker. Every Tuesday is Karaoke Hosted By Howard Hicks aka Gladys Kravitz. Every Wednesday we have Smart Ass Triva. Selected Thursdays are Drag Bingo for a cause Hosted by Chanel Devereaux and others. Every Friday is Kickoff featuring Matt Bailer. Saturdays we feature Guest DJs. Every Sunday is Drag Brunch. All You can eat Buffet with a show! For parties of more than 10 you MUST make the reservation a week to a week and a half in advance.
- Special Events: Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to have a special event at Nellie's! If you are making a reservation please enter your birthday/event in the comments section. We would love to put you or your groups name on our Nellie Chalk Boards!
- Cross Street: Corner of 9th and U Streets NW
- Public Transit: We are a block and a half East of the 10th street side of the U Street Cardozo Metro Station on the Green and Yellow Lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Nellie's Sports Bar is located on the corner of 9 & U Streets, NW in Washington, DC, one block from the U Street/African American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo Metro. If you'd rather drive to Nellie's, parking is plentiful at the nearby V Street, NW parking lot. Driving directions are available at our web site. nelliessportsbar.com
A word from Nellie's Sports Bar
Our name is a tribute to the eccentric and hospitable character of Doug Schantz's great grandmother. The welcoming and inclusive spirit of Nellie's Sports Bar is reflective of the lady who loved to entertain. Nellie's is unique because we are locally owned; serve as a meeting place for local amateur sports teams; feature an expansive rooftop deck with its own bar and amazing views; feature ten flat-panel TVs, a stadium-sized screen, and 3 distinct bars; serve a wide variety of food, including Nellie's-style lighter fare; Nellie's food portions are customizable for one person or the entire team; host a variety of distinctive special events; free WiFi; authentic Griffith Stadium sinks; antique showcases and historic photographs; elegant English pub room walls, stained-glass and back bar mirrors; eighteenth-century lighting fixtures from the Baltimore's Penn Station; unique signage, such as our "OPEN" sign and our vintage scoreboardContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Nellie's Sports Bar - Best Restaurants in U Street Corridor ›
Nellie's Sports Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (51)good for groups (44)special occasion (29)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (19)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)romantic (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- I loved the placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I had a wonderful time. The only thing I wish was that the place was a little bigger because it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing from beginning til end I njoyed myself. Great experience very entertaining my birthday wad the best. My guest could not stop tslking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Nellies brunch is a definite bucket list to do. We had an awesome time u will definitely go again hopefully before summer endsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchJeanineDined on 8/9/2014Amazing experience and great talent. I plan to attend oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a blast!LisaDined on 7/27/2014I love going to the drag brunch at Nellie's. The waitstaff is really attentive and make sure that you have what you need to enjoy your brunch. The drag show is really fun! You'll be singing at the top of your lungs, dancing in your seat, and laughing the whole time. Bring $20 in singles for the show, and I highly recommend this place for a birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014I really enjoyed my experienced at Nellies Sports bar for the Drag brunch. The food was very good and seaonsed well. The buffet style setup was perfect for the occasion. The waitresses were charismatic and attentive. The cost was appropriate. The show was so entertaining that the entertainers made me feel like I was amongst family and friends. I will definitely return for another great Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag Queen Brunch!!SeptemberxxvDined on 7/27/2014I heard a lot of talk about the drag queen brunch from friends and that it is a must see and I have to say, it definitely is!! The servers were the actual performers and they did a great job doing both. I jumped out my seat and danced a few times I was so excited. The all you can eat buffet had a variety of selections and it was good, I didn't just have one plate :) I will definitely be back. Book early because reservations go fast!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch Evernewlywed07182014Dined on 7/20/2014This place is amazing. It was the perfect end to our weekend wedding celebration! The first time we have ever seen "real" food on a buffet: everything from eggs to BBQ ribs! All of it delicious! The entrainment was outstanding and the service superb! I will NE VERY visit DC without going to Nellie's. The Queens are funny, friendly, and they give back to the community. Word of warning.....bring your sense of humor and leave your arrogance at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleiLiketoEatDined on 7/19/2014I know this is a sports bar, but the service was TERRIBLE! I walked in with a group of friends ready to sit down, grab some food, and chill. The service was terrible. We were barely acknowledged by the staff. We couldn't even tell the staff from the customers. We were seated at a table with limited menus and no one came to check on us. We left and I doubt anyone even noticed.
- Just Fab***DniceDinesDined on 7/19/2014I have been coming to the Drag Brunch for more than a year now with my family and friends. Each one, Teach one......Most had never been before and ALL were in awwwe at the fabulous entertainment, spectacular food and most of all the great service that was delivered. My Favs Capri Bloomingdale and Ms. Lee have touched my heart in so many ways. I just love them and Nellies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for a groupOpossumBlossomDined on 7/13/2014I had some family in town, and this was a great way to entertain the whole family! Definitely not for prudes, but if you have a good sense of humor, want to laugh and have a good time, this is the spot for you! Make sure you bring cash so that you can tip the performers.Special Features:
- Yaaaas Hunty!LeTiniBleuDined on 7/13/2014Me and my girlfriends had a blast here! The performances were great and the food was surprising good. I liked that they had a decent selection. The space is kind of small but for the time you're there it's tolerable. The performance that had Paris Re-Burning was when the Mistress of the afternoon was performing Rihanna's song and she literally walked out and performed in the middle of the STREET! That's fierceness at it's finest! Great way to spend Sunday afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outside the boxdininganewDined on 7/5/2014Nellie's is a great place to gather with friends and let your hair down. Enjoy good food and drinks will you sing along with performers that give there all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag Queen Brunch was Incredible!PartiesbySusiDined on 6/29/2014Great food, great performances, and lots of laughs! Thanks for a splendid time at the Drag Queen brunch! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomenessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014I had a GREAT time at Nellies. The food was outstanding. Everyone was so nice, upbeat, and fun. The show was amazing. I would definitely go again. Thank you for a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Queens Have It!!!FancyGyrlEatsDined on 6/29/2014I went to Nellie's for their drag brunch and let me say I had a WONDERFUL time. Not only did the queens have me dancing and singing from my seat but the food was absolutely delicious. There was fruit, cupcakes, breakfast food, light snacks and lunch. Not to mention the drinks were awesome. The show was amazing as well. Each queen brought her own flair to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great BrunchStacieDined on 6/29/2014I had a great time at the Sunday Drag Brunch. I took my grandmother for the first time and she loved it. I will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laugh your way thru the MorningOpossumBlossomDined on 6/15/2014Nellie's Sunday morning Drag Brunch is such a treat -- I went with a group of girlfriends for our June birthdays. A Drag Queen will serve you with a choice of Mimosa or Bloody Mary. The brunch is buffet style, so you get exactly what you want. After everyone is settled with food and drink, there is a show -- lively, entertaining, and funny! Bring plenty of 1 dollar bills (or cash so that you can get 1's from a server) to tip the performers. I think I tipped about 20 dollars in total. The crowd seemed a bit hung over (I went to the 12:30 brunch). Next time, I'm going to try the 10:30 brunch. My hope is the audience will be a bit more lively (a performance is a give and take, after all). Come ready to cheer, eat, and tip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timelovedcDined on 6/8/2014Went for drag with a bunch of friends food was good and the entertainment was fabulous. Staff was very engaged and made sure we were very well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014Such a fun experience coming for the drag brunch. Thanks for making our experience positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outingJuanygirlDined on 6/8/2014My sister, friends and I had a wonderful time. We loved all of the performers. We especially enjoyed the Beyonce perfprmance. The food was good and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag Brunch a MustTryAnythingOnceDined on 6/8/2014So much fun! Definitely an experience to share with some friends you feel comfortable letting your hair down with - and if you're a straight dude, be ready for some serious teasing, but it really is all in good fun. BRING LOTS of $1 BILLS, these laaydies are putting on an amazing show, tip well and often! The drag queens are fabulous as are their outfits.... don't miss Beyonce! P.S. - the brunch itself is buffet style and food is nothing to write home about, but that's not really what you go for. 1st mimosa or bloody mary are included in the brunch price.Special Features:
- ExcellentDeeDee1Dined on 6/7/2014It was a great show I love Ms. Dianna Ross aka S and the others the food was good, I just have short legs I have to sit on a bar stool with a back everything was good.Special Features:
- Monique from Baltimore, MdBmoreGirlsDoItBestDined on 5/24/2014Drag brunch was amazing! Those girls definitely know how to put on a show. I highly recommend this place for a great entertainment. I will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BOMBDined on 5/24/2014THE DRAG SHOW BRUNCH WAS GREAT, THE FOOD WAS AWESOME, AND THE DRAG SHOW WAS AMAZING!!! I WILL COME BACK A MILLION TIMES!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st Birthday Celebration!!!AngietumbleDined on 5/23/2014Had great friends, great drinks, good food, great fun!!! Would recommend to anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag BrunchWeeyumDined on 5/18/2014The brunch, with the drag queens both serving and performing, is amazing and a one-of-a-kind experience. Riley Knox does an incredible Beyonce. And the food is great on top of it.Special Features:
- happygoluckyVIPDined on 5/17/2014The entertainment was great and had the crowd hyped up. The food was sub par especially for the price. It wasn't hot and I didn't care for the selections. It would have been nice to have had an omlette bar. I would definitely go back for the entertainment on a special occasion.Special Features:
- Sunday Drag BrunchCeeCeeDined on 5/11/2014Sunday Brunch at Nellie's is a welcoming way to end the weekend and the worker's and staff at Nellie's are pleasant and very friendly. Will definitely continue to come from NYC to get the Nellie's experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Much Fun!JayPDined on 5/11/2014This place is great! Came here for Mother's Day and had a wonderful time! Love love loved Beyonce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPartyGirlDined on 5/10/2014I've been to the Drag Brunch twice. Once on a Saturday and once on a Sunday. I enjoyed myself both times. The Food is So Delicious and the Entertainment is even better. I can't wait to go back. I would recommend this place to anyone who's looking for good for and to have a Great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 199 reviews are from the Nellie's Sports Bar reviews archive.
- Party of 18MsBLUEandherCREWof17Dined on 5/4/2014What can I say. I had an amazing experience at Nellies. This was a first time experience for all of my guest that I invited. The staff was amazing, the drinks were excellent, and the food was great. The entertainment had you laughing, cheering, and singing along. I cannot wait to have that experience again. Thank you so very much for an amazing experience ladies and gents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moejoDined on 4/24/2014I had a great time celebrating my birthday at Nellie's Our waiter Daniel was awesome. We didn't wait long on food and drinks which was a plus. I'm looking forward to the "Drag Brunch".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoychocolateDined on 4/20/2014Everything was so wonderful from the begining to the end. I cant wait until the next visit.Special Features:
- Fantastic Brunch!BirthdayBrunchDined on 4/19/2014Went on a Saturday for my birthday to the 12:30pm drag brunch. I loved how they have the show after you have eaten but you still have the opportunity to still get up & eat...They have a waffle station and he makes them and bring them to your table. No unlimited mimosas but you can purchase a carafe and a great price! and also other drinks..the bloody mary's seem to be a big hit also! The gurls are AWESOME! The Performances are AWESOME they will have you not wanting to leave! We really enjoyed ourselves!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest Time EverfancykekeDined on 4/12/2014It was my 30th birthday celebration and the giels and I had a ball. Cant wait to do it all over again.Special Features:
- Festive and unique brunchNelliesDined on 4/6/2014I stumbled on Nellie's drag show brunch looking for a festive brunch to share with our adult children for my birthday. I didn't tell them about the show and it was a fun mom's-gone-crazy moment when they figured it out. Our server was Epiphany, she was great and an amazing Beyonce in the show. There was also a fabulous Liza Manelli--they were all impressive. The food is homestyle southern and very abundant. The mini-waffles are the best ever tasted. The volume was quite high, which annoyed hubby but we'd go again and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Good Times for All!EbbsscoDined on 4/6/2014I went to Nellies Drag Brunch with my sisters and good girlfriends. None of which have ever been. We had so much fun we all made reservations for the summer and invited more people. This is a great place to go for good food and great fun. Make your reservation as soon as possible because it is hard to get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drag ShowRonRonDined on 3/30/2014I absolutely adore the Drag Brunch and Show! The performers are phenomenal! Keep it up!Special Features:
- Drag BrunchPartyGirlDined on 3/23/2014Myself along with 14 of my close friends visited on Sunday 3/23/14 for the Drag Brunch to celebrate My mom & I Birthday. We had the time of our lives. The staff is so friendly. The food was Delicious! Not to mention the performances which were out of this world! We had so much fun from beginning to End. I would definitely recommend this place to family and friends. The only downfall is the space. It's really small & tight. So try to bring as little with you as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.