Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nellcoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3124320500
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed 5pm - 11pm
Thurs - Fri 5pm - 2am
Sat - Brunch 11am - 3pm, Dinner 3pm-3am
Sun - Brunch 11am - 3pm, Dinner 3pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Jared Van Camp
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nellcote
Nellcôte is an impertinent take on fine dining. Chef Jared Van Camp has crafted an “obsessively house made” and locally focused bill of fare - while taking influence from France, Italy and Spain, the ingredients and products are sourced exclusively from the Midwest. The vibe is Rock'n'roll bohemian chic. With a defiant return to glamour...Nellcôte is a sexy and high-energy nightspot with absolutely no pretense.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nellcote reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)romantic (78)special occasion (77)great for outdoor dining (68)good for groups (66)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (58)vibrant bar scene (44)great for brunch (32)notable wine list (22)late-night find (16)great for lunch (12)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- NellcottedebvDined on 9/11/2014The wait staff was very nice although talked a bit too much when we first sat down. Food was good. Wine pour was very light though.Special Features:
- Pizza and Drinks on the Patiohslover728VIPDined on 9/7/2014Came in at 8:30 on a Sunday night and the restaurant was pretty empty. We sat on the patio because the weather was perfect. I ordered a dirty martini with grey goose and it tasted very odd. I'm not a martini connoisseur but I have had several dirty martinis in several different places and they never tasted like that before. I thought maybe the bartender put gin instead of vodka or maybe the olive juice was bad. Not sure, but I asked if I could have a glass of Bordeaux instead. Luckily, it wasn't a problem. Our table ordered the Spicy Anduja (pronounced andouille...) pizza. The pieces with a lot of cheese were the best but overall, I really enjoyed it. The sausage was pretty mild but had a slight kick.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening at NellcoteaalbDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I were celebrating her 40th birthday in Chicago and had heard great things about Nellcote. It surpassed expectations. The space is both elegant and energetic. The service was wonderful and warm. Each of our plates, from the cobia crudo to the margherita pizza, was delicious and obviously made with top-quality ingredients. Everyone there made us feel welcome. We will return next time we're in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and will go back againHarleyVIPDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I took my daughter and her husband there for dinner to celebrate their 1 year anniversary. This was our first time there and the food was unbelievably great!!! When you look at the menu you are uncertain about what you are ordering, so we ordered many plates to share. The pastas were especially good. We ordered all three and we were not disappointed. The only items we didn't meet our taste were the vegeetables of otatoes - too watery- and leeks type vegetable. The waitress should give a recap of the items to help customers understand each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has gone downhillChgoTomVIPDined on 8/31/2014This place once trendy has become lazy and the food unexciting. On a Labor Day weekend the restaurant didn't get any of the basics right; they never came by to checkin for drinks, they served the sides a full 10 minutes before any meal arrived and the flank steak is chewy grocery store meat that sticks to your teeth. Stay with the pasta, avoid the uninspiring pizza and definitely try the chocolate dessertSpecial Features:
- Exceptional at some thingsChicago820Dined on 8/30/2014Overall, food was very good. Homemade breads were exceptional. Venison tartare and hangar steak were delicious. Potato gnocchi and pork was too rich for our taste. Had a reservation for 8:30pm. Weren't seated until 9 and when we were, we were given a tiny table next to the bar. People's behinds were literally at our face level. Not delightful. Seemed like a happening place filled with beautiful people. Enjoyed our meal and the service was good. Appreciated the birthday dessert of chocolate parfait. Will come back--and would like to try their brunch.Special Features:
- LWFELWFEDined on 8/30/2014Overall the evening was good. Good wine and martini. The staff seemed a bit “too casual” for this class of a restaurant….maybe I am old fashion. The food was good and well proportioned. The meals are served like a Tapas Restaurant. The menu needs more Gluten Free offerings. This is a restaurant we look forward to eating at again the next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014Very few diners when we were there. Pretty place, but the food delivery did not live up to it. Plates are meant to be shared & were enough for sharing, but the dishes we ordered were not served in a sequence that made sense. The pizza crust was soft & doughy & the pizza was not very flavorful. The chicken & vegetables were good, & the venison tartare was outstanding - the very best of all we tried. To the restaurants credit, they did rectify our complaint & took a dish off our check. Has the possibilities of being a neighborhood gem. Perhaps we hit it on an off night.Special Features:
- Great food, great vibeAmberVIPDined on 8/22/2014Nellcote never disappoints. I love sitting outside on Randolph in the summer – it's a great vibe and much quieter than inside, which can get clubby on weekends. The best dish we had this time was the roasted peach and farro salad with kale, Marcona almonds and pickled apricots. Service is always spot on and Jay is the best GM.Special Features:
- restaurants reviewFridayDined on 8/22/2014It's my second time here I enjoyed it a lot. However the waitress offered very poor service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and AvailabilityNotsogreatDined on 8/19/2014The wine on the menu that we wanted was not available. Getting our second choice took about 20 minutes. We all ordered dishes but only 1 of us received our meal. Had to wait again another 10 min. One of the chicken dishes wasnt cooked all the way and needed to be sent back for further cooking. Service was extremely slow even though we got there at 6pm on a weekday.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed the food and the setting, but the service was slow. Our food came out at different times and our waiter barely came to the table to check on us.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experience!elisajoyDined on 8/15/2014I have been wanting to check this place out for awhile and, boy, am I glad we finally got the chance! The menu is broken out by type of dish and is intended for lots of plate sharing at the table. The highlight dishes of our meal were the beet ravioli and spigarelli; the crudo and squash blossom and burrata pizza were also pretty tasty. The meal, though, delicious was not the showstopper of the experience though -- the outstanding service and cocktail menu are the reasons I can't wait to go back. Our server, Kevin, was friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and all-around perfecto...I simply can't say enough nice things about him. The cocktail menu was also great--try Sympathy for the Devil--DELICIOUS.Special Features:
- Get the potatoesAbbyVIPDined on 8/14/2014I was there with 3 others and we all loved the meal. All the food was amazing - definitely get the truffle potatoes. The only reason I didn't give it a 5th star is because one of the pastas we ordered came out a bit undercooked. I like al dente, but this was pretty under done. Overall our meal was excellent and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedChicagoNewbieDined on 8/14/2014This was my 4th time dining here. Nothing to complain about. Keep up the great work. Wishing you continued great luck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could have been betterfunfoodandfriendsDined on 8/13/2014The venue is great and was what I was looking for when selecting an outdoor dinner venue, but the service ended up being less than desirable! It took entirely too much time to receive our first course and then we had to wait 30 minutes (if not longer) between both of our second courses being served. My dinner guest was practically finished with his meal before they served my meal. That was not a good experience. No one likes to watch someone else eat. It created an uncomfortable situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great al fresco across from SohoAmberVIPDined on 8/11/2014Gorgeous dining room – excellent service. So fun to dine outside overlooking Randolph Street too. Since this restaurant is right across the street from Soho House I expect it to be even busier in coming months. The food is solid and there are plenty of options for lighter, healthy vegetable-based meals as well as a mean pork chop and hearty pizzas and pastas. The venison tartare was the standout of our meal. Dning on the patio was lovely too. When it started raining, the waitstaff swiftly whisked everyone and our food into the spacious dining room. They handled the situation so well and are utmost professionals.Special Features:
- Interesting vibe on busy RandolphwindycityVIPDined on 8/9/2014I wasn't sure about Nellcote when I first entered. somewhat small but very well done menu. Pizza's - excellent, had a great Gnocchi dish. Loved the in season salad. Bartenders are knowledgeable, make great recommendations and craft a great cocktail. Wait staff are friendly and competent but they really need to work on pacing of dishes and I know they say the dishes come out when they are done but its really up to them to stage them so that you don't have you salad and entree's coming out at the same time. Just put a bit of effort in ok? Good wine list and if you are up for another glass they will walk you over to RM Champagne through their shared kitchen.Special Features:
- Exceeded my high expectationsCwillis7997Dined on 8/9/2014While visiting Chicago last weekend, I met up with a few friends that recently moved to the area. A good friend of mine who is a Chicago foodie recommended Nelcote, so my expectations were pretty lofty. As a member of the service industry, I appreciate an attentive server that knows when to be present while still allowing an intimate dining experience. Jenn was fantastic! Not once did our cocktails run dry as she expertly guided us through the menu. She suggested all of the "must haves" and we had a fantastic, relaxed dinner on the patio. The venison tartar, pork chop, and pasta bolognese were my favorites, but you cannot miss out on one of those wood-fired pizzas. The GM personally thanked us for dining at Nelcote=100% class. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music and portionsBettyDined on 8/8/2014It was recommended we order 2-3 items per person to share, portions were too small to share for 4. Music level was way too loud to hold a conversation. It's pretty inside but I would not recommend to my friends.Special Features:
- darumaDined on 8/3/2014Suprisingly not crowded for Sunday brunch around 11. Got fuller as time went on.
- Fun spotbanditaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Upscale but still casual environment with friendly, knowledgeable servers. Fun with a small group, as most items are meant to be shared. Our standouts were the beet salad and the gnocchi.Special Features:
- AmazingChrisDined on 8/2/2014Food was fantastic, service was prompt and attentive, overall great experience and will be back.Special Features:
- Glam Brunch SpotVeniceGlamGirlDined on 8/2/2014Went here with a group of girls for my friend's bachelorette brunch. Such a cool spot. Great french food and delicious champagne pitchers with St. Germain. Portions are small but the ambiance is incredible. Very glamourous. Would totally go back for a bougie-brunch.Special Features:
- Feast for your mouth and eyesEatOutNowVIPDined on 8/1/2014Dining at Nellcôte is an event. As long-time wanna-be Nellcôte diners, we were immediately taken in by the visual aspect of the space. The professional, well-informed staff & service suits the tone of the restaurant; a table-side visit by the manager was an appreciated bonus. The food was a solid 10, they grind their own flour, so get the bread basket (we ordered 2). Sampled 4 appetizers, 2 salads (farrow/peach is amazing as was the beet) we ordered pizza and tried 2 pasta dishes, the Tagliatelli Bolognese was melt-in-your-mouth luxurious. Save room for dessert - the Chocolate Parfait was classically decadent and the Lemon Semifreddo- refreshing rich, would have loved a few more cherries for my last few bites. Make your reservation today!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portions tiny-DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/27/2014The service was slow and frantic. The dish I ordered was small and then we went to the ladies room and saw the same dish twice the size on another plate. They must have been in a hurry fixing mine. I was disappointed for the price getting such a small portion and even bread is extra. When people dine out you don't mine paying for something that is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchliveatlastDined on 7/27/2014Brought my parents here for brunch and they loved every minute. The hostess greeting us was so friendly and inviting upon entry. Entrees were small portions but very filling and well seasoned. Try the breakfast sampler... a must have. Lobster hash was our favorite. The desserts were perfect. Chocolate hazelnut parfait with creme friche was perfect, not too sweet. Lemon semifreddo was my favorite. An unbelievable amount of flavors that were super rich and refreshing. Will definitely come back to Nellcote.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014LOUD ambient/techno music in the dining room are off-putting and out of line. Add to the loud volume of the music dozens of people trying to talk over it and it becomes intolerable. Fortunately, it was a nice Summer evening and we were able to be reseated outside. The food was excellent, and our waiter was attentive and pleasant. Pace of service was a bit too fast. I don't want to be rushed through a meal that is this good.Special Features:
- AH-MAZE-INGdelishDined on 7/25/2014LOVED Nellcote. Beautiful restaurant, amazing servers, delicious food. We were celebrating my fiance getting a new job and they comped us congratulatory prosecco and gelato. I had a huge girl crush on our server and the food was divine. The chicken was a little too olivey for me, however the salmon was to die for. and the egg noodles were superb. They have a mill in their basement so they make their own bread daily. Would recommend in a heartbeat and cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and Self importantCRsOpVIPDined on 7/25/2014We had high hopes. Signature cocktails were nothing special. Pizza had a bitter crust (since they mill their own flour not sure why the pasta and pizza were so mediocre). Home made pastas and sauces had no taste. Not sure why the raves. Noise level for a date was ridiculous. Outdoor dining also noisy but manageable. Come with a group if you have to but otherwise skip it.Special Features:
- Skip pizza for veggie side dishesAmberVIPDined on 7/25/2014The pizza was very bland, but most of the other food was flavorful. Enjoyed the house-made breads to start. Love how they are roasting and grilling a bunch of summer vegetables, from spigarello to cauliflower to green beans. Cauliflower was my favorite of all, great char and tossed with pickled cherry peppers, bagna cauda and parmigiano. Of the desserts, the lemon semifreddo sandwiched between pistachio shortbread is the way to go. They have done a bunch of different semifreddi over the last couple of years, all different flavor combos but in a thin rectangular ice cream sandwich style. All quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect summer spotChicagoFoodie17Dined on 7/24/2014The outdoor dining area under a canopy of vines is beautiful. Our server was down to earth and conversational, and the food was perfectly flavored. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodloverDined on 7/23/2014We loved nellcote. The food was amazing. The truffle potatoes were unbelievable and the beer burrata salad was a favorite too. Everything we ordered was fresh and did not disappoint. We will be back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!jsovikingDined on 7/23/2014We had a group of 6 and did their 'shared plates' approach for dinner. Every plate was delicious and uniquely prepared. Salads, vegetables, main dishes, pastas, pizzas - all very good. Wines, beers and cocktails all interesting. They have their own flour mill on site and make their pastas, breads, etc. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Beautiful venue, delicious foodSnapFoodLoveDined on 7/19/2014Great for vegetarian diners, salmon was excellent. Small plates to share, homemade pasta is very good I recommend the lemon dessert The ambiance is beautiful, chandeliers, black and white trendy look and feel The music is loud but goodSpecial Features:
- good servicewaldmkaVIPDined on 7/19/2014Service, food, and wine were all very good. The waiter accidentally brought an item we did not order, but said we could just keep it and comped that item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite!djh85Dined on 7/15/2014The food here is amazing! With every bite, all I could say was "Wow!" You have to try the Cobia Crudo and the Skuna Bay Salmon, your taste buds will thank you. I have eaten here twice already and definitely plan to go back.Special Features:
- CanucksCanucksDined on 7/12/2014The service was great even though our table had yet to clear. The staff had everything under control. The food was fantastic and desert was excellent. I enjoyed every dish and the pricing was reasonable. We will definitely come back to Nellcote on my next visit to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining for the deafMSJSLDined on 7/12/2014A beautiful restaurant where you can't hear yourself think! Took the joy out of the dining experience. But the Arugula salad was great and the pizzas were good.MSJSLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFarmervilleVIPDined on 7/11/2014Marche' was our go-to spot for years but we hadn't been back to Nellcote, which is now in that space, in a while. Our loss. Everything was good and our server was fun, kind and helpful. The wood-fired pizza arrived last which worked out well if you believe in saving the best for last.Special Features: