Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nellcoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3124320500
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed 5pm - 11pm
Thurs - Fri 5pm - 2am
Sat - Brunch 11am - 3pm, Dinner 3pm-3am
Sun - Brunch 11am - 3pm, Dinner 3pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Jared Van Camp
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nellcote
Nellcôte is an impertinent take on fine dining. Chef Jared Van Camp has crafted an “obsessively house made” and locally focused bill of fare - while taking influence from France, Italy and Spain, the ingredients and products are sourced exclusively from the Midwest. The vibe is Rock'n'roll bohemian chic. With a defiant return to glamour...Nellcôte is a sexy and high-energy nightspot with absolutely no pretense.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nellcote reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)romantic (66)special occasion (66)good for groups (57)great for outdoor dining (57)hot spot (57)neighborhood gem (55)vibrant bar scene (43)great for brunch (29)notable wine list (22)late-night find (16)great for lunch (15)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Better for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2014I have been to this place twice for dinner and have loved it. Brunch, however, was sub par. The pastries we started with were slightly dry and room temperature; the slice of quiche I ordered was like the size of my finger.
- Surprised to find out Tapas StyleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Food was pretty flavorful, but not the best place I have ever eaten. Would I go back with all the great selections in Chicago? Probably not. And, had no idea food was served tapas style until we were seated. Admittedly, I should have read some reviews on this place before making our reservations. Also, was rather noisy and made it difficult to hear our table conversation.Special Features:
- Perfect Place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This place was perfect, I don't recall one single thing I didn't like about it and neither my party. The service was outstanding, the food is out of this world and the desserts are perfect.Special Features:
- looking4wonderfulDined on 10/12/2014Food was decent but not specatcular. Good fair for an average meal. Was hoping for more in flavors and creativity on dishes.
- AmazingJoseDined on 10/12/2014It was our first time in Chicago with my wife (we are Canadians) and we went to Nellcote for a romantic dinner experience. In short, we loved the place with very reasonable prices as opposed to similar places; the decor and setting was amazing and the waitress was extremely polite and informative. We will be going back there for sure next time we are in Chicago!Special Features:
- Menu changes aren't greatcompadeDined on 10/11/2014Seems the new chef/management hasn't yet found their footing. The menus are on cheaper paper and the offerings are not as delicious. I had the omelet and it was mediocre at best. My friend had the lobster brunch offering and liked it a lot. I really wanted the smoked trout item but they no longer carry it. I'd give it some time before going again. Oh, and the server was kind of salesy trying to upsell at every corner. That's annoying.
- SwankyFoodieFamilyTVIPDined on 10/3/2014Beautiful job of redecorating old Marche space ... Beautiful bar & comfortable seating feels very relaxed. Fun people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoicewallydrDined on 10/3/2014Had dinner with friends before a concert, Nellcote was great and we love our shared portions dinner. Our waiter was extremely helpful with recommendations it is now one of our favorites. Robuchon potatoes are to die for...Special Features:
- Snotty ServiceAndyDined on 10/2/2014We got to the restaurant a few minutes late and the very rude host would not seat us for at least 20 minutes. Even though there were plenty of empty tables, he insisted that they were waiting for people to get up. As it was 6pm on a weekday, I asked him if it was from the 4pm dinner seating. I am not sure if it was incompetence or purposeful on the host's part to make us wait for 20 minutes. I am not sure which is worse. The waiter then proceeded to forget several orders. This was a business dinner and I will never go back to this place.Special Features:
- great service with delucated foodsSabrinaDined on 9/28/2014service is perfect, foods are not over creamed and well balanced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Find another restaurantLeonardoDined on 9/27/2014First impressions are we’re in for a fantastic evening. But as we learn from dating, looks aren’t everything. This restaurant lacks depth of personality. A creative selection of signature cocktails gets you started, but there is nowhere to go after that. Almost nonexistent list of appetizers, a decent assortment of pizzas, limited pasta choices, and four non-inventive entrees are all you get to choose from--impossible to construct a gastronomic four course meal. The pizza was soggy—it doesn’t matter that they grind their own flour. Desserts were boring—a butterscotch budino (Italian pudding) was banana pudding with butterscotch syrup on the bottom. Also, caught a member of the staff leaving a bathroom stall without washing his hands.Special Features:
- LaurenCDined on 9/26/2014great food, gorgeous decor, fun for a group celebrationSpecial Features:
- would not go backemeraldqueenVIPDined on 9/26/2014Food OK-would NOT consider this "small Plate" restaurant. pacing of delivery of food was VERY disjointed. We ordered 2 veggies, a pizza and a pasta dish. After a significant wait, the 2 veggies were served(who eats veggies alone?), after another wait the pasta dish was served and after a VERY long wait the pizza served. server she was told "that is the way the chef wants it". I am the customer, they should ask the diner how they want things served. server said the kitchen was slammed.We had a 6 PM reservation.It was not busy when we got there--it did get very busy.FIFO should be the order of the day. We were celebrating a b-day. I put it on my reservation. 2 of us mentioned it upon check in. Dessert was served w/o candle. Comped desserts.Special Features:
- Please, healthier foodAgnesDined on 9/21/2014There were no vegetables on the menu, not so much as a leaf of lettuce, and everything was very heavy and laden with fat. The noise level made conversation close to impossible
- Excellent food, great fun!LoveMyMomDined on 9/20/2014This is our second time at Nellcote and it will definitely not be our last. The decor is trendy and fun, the service is top notch (even though they were very busy we still felt special.) The food is really the star - delicious, and reasonable (a nice surprise) - you feel like you can splurge on the drinks! And I must, mention the apple tartlet for dessert, yum!Special Features:
- NellcottedebvDined on 9/11/2014The wait staff was very nice although talked a bit too much when we first sat down. Food was good. Wine pour was very light though.Special Features:
- Pizza and Drinks on the Patiohslover728VIPDined on 9/7/2014Came in at 8:30 on a Sunday night and the restaurant was pretty empty. We sat on the patio because the weather was perfect. I ordered a dirty martini with grey goose and it tasted very odd. I'm not a martini connoisseur but I have had several dirty martinis in several different places and they never tasted like that before. I thought maybe the bartender put gin instead of vodka or maybe the olive juice was bad. Not sure, but I asked if I could have a glass of Bordeaux instead. Luckily, it wasn't a problem. Our table ordered the Spicy Anduja (pronounced andouille...) pizza. The pieces with a lot of cheese were the best but overall, I really enjoyed it. The sausage was pretty mild but had a slight kick.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening at NellcoteaalbDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I were celebrating her 40th birthday in Chicago and had heard great things about Nellcote. It surpassed expectations. The space is both elegant and energetic. The service was wonderful and warm. Each of our plates, from the cobia crudo to the margherita pizza, was delicious and obviously made with top-quality ingredients. Everyone there made us feel welcome. We will return next time we're in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and will go back againHarleyVIPDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I took my daughter and her husband there for dinner to celebrate their 1 year anniversary. This was our first time there and the food was unbelievably great!!! When you look at the menu you are uncertain about what you are ordering, so we ordered many plates to share. The pastas were especially good. We ordered all three and we were not disappointed. The only items we didn't meet our taste were the vegeetables of otatoes - too watery- and leeks type vegetable. The waitress should give a recap of the items to help customers understand each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014We only had one night in Chicago and this was a perfect place to dine. The European influenced tapas were delightful and creative. The drinks and desserts were also pretty amazing!Special Features:
- Has gone downhillChgoTomVIPDined on 8/31/2014This place once trendy has become lazy and the food unexciting. On a Labor Day weekend the restaurant didn't get any of the basics right; they never came by to checkin for drinks, they served the sides a full 10 minutes before any meal arrived and the flank steak is chewy grocery store meat that sticks to your teeth. Stay with the pasta, avoid the uninspiring pizza and definitely try the chocolate dessertSpecial Features:
- Exceptional at some thingsChicago820Dined on 8/30/2014Overall, food was very good. Homemade breads were exceptional. Venison tartare and hangar steak were delicious. Potato gnocchi and pork was too rich for our taste. Had a reservation for 8:30pm. Weren't seated until 9 and when we were, we were given a tiny table next to the bar. People's behinds were literally at our face level. Not delightful. Seemed like a happening place filled with beautiful people. Enjoyed our meal and the service was good. Appreciated the birthday dessert of chocolate parfait. Will come back--and would like to try their brunch.Special Features:
- LWFELWFEDined on 8/30/2014Overall the evening was good. Good wine and martini. The staff seemed a bit “too casual” for this class of a restaurant….maybe I am old fashion. The food was good and well proportioned. The meals are served like a Tapas Restaurant. The menu needs more Gluten Free offerings. This is a restaurant we look forward to eating at again the next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014Very few diners when we were there. Pretty place, but the food delivery did not live up to it. Plates are meant to be shared & were enough for sharing, but the dishes we ordered were not served in a sequence that made sense. The pizza crust was soft & doughy & the pizza was not very flavorful. The chicken & vegetables were good, & the venison tartare was outstanding - the very best of all we tried. To the restaurants credit, they did rectify our complaint & took a dish off our check. Has the possibilities of being a neighborhood gem. Perhaps we hit it on an off night.Special Features:
- Great food, great vibeAmberVIPDined on 8/22/2014Nellcote never disappoints. I love sitting outside on Randolph in the summer – it's a great vibe and much quieter than inside, which can get clubby on weekends. The best dish we had this time was the roasted peach and farro salad with kale, Marcona almonds and pickled apricots. Service is always spot on and Jay is the best GM.Special Features:
- restaurants reviewFridayDined on 8/22/2014It's my second time here I enjoyed it a lot. However the waitress offered very poor service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and AvailabilityNotsogreatDined on 8/19/2014The wine on the menu that we wanted was not available. Getting our second choice took about 20 minutes. We all ordered dishes but only 1 of us received our meal. Had to wait again another 10 min. One of the chicken dishes wasnt cooked all the way and needed to be sent back for further cooking. Service was extremely slow even though we got there at 6pm on a weekday.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed the food and the setting, but the service was slow. Our food came out at different times and our waiter barely came to the table to check on us.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experience!elisajoyDined on 8/15/2014I have been wanting to check this place out for awhile and, boy, am I glad we finally got the chance! The menu is broken out by type of dish and is intended for lots of plate sharing at the table. The highlight dishes of our meal were the beet ravioli and spigarelli; the crudo and squash blossom and burrata pizza were also pretty tasty. The meal, though, delicious was not the showstopper of the experience though -- the outstanding service and cocktail menu are the reasons I can't wait to go back. Our server, Kevin, was friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and all-around perfecto...I simply can't say enough nice things about him. The cocktail menu was also great--try Sympathy for the Devil--DELICIOUS.Special Features:
- Get the potatoesAbbyVIPDined on 8/14/2014I was there with 3 others and we all loved the meal. All the food was amazing - definitely get the truffle potatoes. The only reason I didn't give it a 5th star is because one of the pastas we ordered came out a bit undercooked. I like al dente, but this was pretty under done. Overall our meal was excellent and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedChicagoNewbieDined on 8/14/2014This was my 4th time dining here. Nothing to complain about. Keep up the great work. Wishing you continued great luck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could have been betterfunfoodandfriendsDined on 8/13/2014The venue is great and was what I was looking for when selecting an outdoor dinner venue, but the service ended up being less than desirable! It took entirely too much time to receive our first course and then we had to wait 30 minutes (if not longer) between both of our second courses being served. My dinner guest was practically finished with his meal before they served my meal. That was not a good experience. No one likes to watch someone else eat. It created an uncomfortable situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great al fresco across from SohoAmberVIPDined on 8/11/2014Gorgeous dining room – excellent service. So fun to dine outside overlooking Randolph Street too. Since this restaurant is right across the street from Soho House I expect it to be even busier in coming months. The food is solid and there are plenty of options for lighter, healthy vegetable-based meals as well as a mean pork chop and hearty pizzas and pastas. The venison tartare was the standout of our meal. Dning on the patio was lovely too. When it started raining, the waitstaff swiftly whisked everyone and our food into the spacious dining room. They handled the situation so well and are utmost professionals.Special Features:
- Interesting vibe on busy RandolphwindycityVIPDined on 8/9/2014I wasn't sure about Nellcote when I first entered. somewhat small but very well done menu. Pizza's - excellent, had a great Gnocchi dish. Loved the in season salad. Bartenders are knowledgeable, make great recommendations and craft a great cocktail. Wait staff are friendly and competent but they really need to work on pacing of dishes and I know they say the dishes come out when they are done but its really up to them to stage them so that you don't have you salad and entree's coming out at the same time. Just put a bit of effort in ok? Good wine list and if you are up for another glass they will walk you over to RM Champagne through their shared kitchen.Special Features:
- Exceeded my high expectationsCwillis7997Dined on 8/9/2014While visiting Chicago last weekend, I met up with a few friends that recently moved to the area. A good friend of mine who is a Chicago foodie recommended Nelcote, so my expectations were pretty lofty. As a member of the service industry, I appreciate an attentive server that knows when to be present while still allowing an intimate dining experience. Jenn was fantastic! Not once did our cocktails run dry as she expertly guided us through the menu. She suggested all of the "must haves" and we had a fantastic, relaxed dinner on the patio. The venison tartar, pork chop, and pasta bolognese were my favorites, but you cannot miss out on one of those wood-fired pizzas. The GM personally thanked us for dining at Nelcote=100% class. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music and portionsBettyDined on 8/8/2014It was recommended we order 2-3 items per person to share, portions were too small to share for 4. Music level was way too loud to hold a conversation. It's pretty inside but I would not recommend to my friends.Special Features:
- darumaDined on 8/3/2014Suprisingly not crowded for Sunday brunch around 11. Got fuller as time went on.
- Fun spotbanditaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Upscale but still casual environment with friendly, knowledgeable servers. Fun with a small group, as most items are meant to be shared. Our standouts were the beet salad and the gnocchi.Special Features:
- AmazingChrisDined on 8/2/2014Food was fantastic, service was prompt and attentive, overall great experience and will be back.Special Features:
- Glam Brunch SpotVeniceGlamGirlDined on 8/2/2014Went here with a group of girls for my friend's bachelorette brunch. Such a cool spot. Great french food and delicious champagne pitchers with St. Germain. Portions are small but the ambiance is incredible. Very glamourous. Would totally go back for a bougie-brunch.Special Features: