Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nellcoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 432-0500
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed 5pm - 11pm
Thurs - Fri 5pm - 2am
Sat - Brunch 11am - 3pm, Dinner 3pm-3am
Sun - Brunch 11am - 3pm, Dinner 3pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Jared Van Camp
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nellcote
Nellcôte is an impertinent take on fine dining. Chef Jared Van Camp has crafted an “obsessively house made” and locally focused bill of fare - while taking influence from France, Italy and Spain, the ingredients and products are sourced exclusively from the Midwest. The vibe is Rock'n'roll bohemian chic. With a defiant return to glamour...Nellcôte is a sexy and high-energy nightspot with absolutely no pretense.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nellcote reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)hot spot (75)special occasion (65)good for groups (64)romantic (63)vibrant bar scene (50)neighborhood gem (50)great for outdoor dining (47)great for brunch (32)notable wine list (24)late-night find (16)great for lunch (13)scenic view (7)Show More
- Always a good call!MeaghanVIPDined on 11/21/2014Took friends visiting to Nellcote and everyone loved the dinner! Great ambiance and delicious food. This place is still a hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nevercooksDined on 11/17/2014Great food -- wonderful service. Fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/16/2014Service was casual, helpful and good. Food was above par, however very small portions. Pricey, not sure if it was good enough to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get it while the getting's goodsameguy247Dined on 11/15/2014I was here last weekend for dinner and overall, I had a great experience. First off, the place has a great look to it; it comes off as a large sitting room with the decor and a mix of traditional tables, high-tops, and lounge style chairs. We ended up getting a table on an upper level, providing a nice view of the rest of the space. Although I had a reservation, there was still a 30 minute or so wait for seating. Somewhat understandable given that the place was pretty packed. The manager served complimentary champagne to the folks waiting, which I though was a nice gesture. The food was not off the charts, but pretty good. There were a few things they were out of, due to the crowd. I had a pasta made with short rib which tasted like fancy comfort food - very good. I also had a spicy shrimp pizza; great flavors, but one side of the pizza was definitely spicier than the other. Also, the crust was slightly overdone. Our server was outstanding. We had several questions about the menu and she was very attentive and informed about the menu. We were celebrating a birthday, and she brought out a complementary dessert that was pretty awesome. The coffee was pretty good, too. I'd definitely come back, but I can see how this place could potentially go south. There is definitely a "scene" with this place, and I could imagine that given the crowds, the quality of the food or service could suffer. Again, I didn't have any problems and I would definitely go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- average at a generous bestchicagopeteVIPDined on 11/15/2014this is a huge restaurant with very large chandeliers. One would think Nellcote would be French but you would be mistaken. If anything the restaurant is closer to Italian with a pasta dish as well as pizzas. The toppings from the two we had were very good but the crust was soft and soggy. The entree list was quite limited: a hangar steak, salmon, a chicken entree and a pork chop and none of these had an interesting presentation. Service was excellent and from my perusal of the patrons, most seemed under 30. There seemed to be a heavy emphasis on the drinks. There are many better restaurants in Chicago.
- Beautiful and deliciousEvaChicagoVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was our second time at Nellcote and once again, we haven't had one bad dish! Everything was both beautifully put together and absolutely delicious. I will be dreaming about the bread, the venison tartar and especially their pasta Bolognese. Totally to die for! We will be back very shortly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!Elizabeth7Dined on 11/12/2014First time to Nellcote- was very impressed by the service. Someone approached the table to explain the idea behind the restaurant, and throughout the evening our server and other staff came by to check on our dining experience. Ambiance and decor were also great. *FYI Noise level was typical- for some reason the above rating would only select the loudest option.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spaghettiForceflowDined on 11/10/2014My wife and I loved the wall decorations that hearkened to south of France. We enjoyed the spaghetti with Calabrian chilis (they seemed pickled). We wished there were more chilis but the spaghetti was pretty much perfect. We also sampled two other pastas, the Strozzapreti (which is rare to find in the US and was very unique in its sauce and flavor) and the tagliatelle with bolognese. Very good. They clearly know how to make pasta. Each was perfectly cooked with excellent presentation. Overall everything was excellent. Service was solid as well -- a loud, club-like atmosphere for early dinner made for energetic conversation.Special Features:
- newchiadventurerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2014Nellcote was a lot of fun. The food was amazing. Great portion sizes for sharing/sampling with a group.Special Features:
- i ate at NellCote sort offarmcookDined on 11/8/2014The level and choice of music was inappropriate for our early dinner, when we hoped to chat. Vegetable and entree dishes were very good, pizza was mushy and uninspired The room is great...needs some French music for early evening...rock out a bit laterSpecial Features:
- Great Food. Bad Service.ComishDined on 11/8/2014We arrive at 5:04 p.m. for a 5:00 p.m. Saturday night reservation - party of 6.Four of us were there, other two stuck in traffic.We requested to be seated since we wanted drinks and appetizers and were on a time restriction.All tables w/ the exception one in the entire restaurant were open.We did not get seated until 5:18. We were standing waiting looking at our table w/ the menus already placed on it for over ten minutes.We inquired three times to different people, but no on would seat us. Finally one person replied, we are not sure if the table is steady enough for you.Well, we sat and the table was not steady.He did not check on us w/ any regularity. Server was inexperienced or just not trained or just incompetent.We have more examples
- NellcoteGoodEats8Dined on 11/7/2014I've been here many times before, but always in warmer weather. I've never sat inside, and the noise level made it difficult to hold a conversation. Nonetheless, while the food was good, the service left much to be desired. We waited quiet a long time for our server to initially take our drink menu, and it took equally long for them to arrive. The service was slow and left us disappointed in the entire experience.Special Features:
- Beautiful Space; A Few Misstepstvchick1VIPDined on 11/7/2014My husband and I tried Nellcote for a Friday date night. The space is gorgeous, with chandeliers and a lovely room-length bar. My pear and endive salad was tasty, as was my salmon entree. No sides are included--those are ordered separately. One oddity is the $3 charge for bread. It seems nominal and for a dollar a slice, we expected some exceptional bread, or a unique dip/spread. Instead it was three rather pedestrian slices of bread with standard butter and oil. Next time I'd skip it. My husband's hangar steak was awfully chewy; he thinks he got a bad piece of what could be a better dish. The server removed one of the charges for our sides. We appreciated the gesture. We'll go again but order differently.
- OverratedTA5413Dined on 11/1/2014Beautiful place, nice vibe. Ambiance was amazing, but the food was mediocre to terrible. There was four of us and we all had the same reaction. Server was not very attentive either, he did not check in on us after the food was brought out until we were done eating. Amish Chicken was brutal, tasted like fake processed chicken. Pizza was solid. Definitely not worth going back. One and done.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2014Great flavors, all around. Butternut Squash Agnolotti was the highlight of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy small platesfoodluverchiDined on 10/29/2014The restaurant had wonderful service and the food was amazing. Very unique and flavorful dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza PartyLDanoviaVIPDined on 10/26/2014Hosted a sunday evening book club meeting here for a few of my lady friends. We had a fancy pizza party complete with mocktails and dessert. Everything was fab! Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Servicekwal0103Dined on 10/25/2014When reserving the table, I mention it was for my wife and I's 7 year anniversary. Upon being seated, our waiter brought us two glasses of champagne on the house in order to celebrate the anniversary. The rest of the meal was amazing, every order coming out quick and delicious. The entire wait staff were terrific. The host were also very accommodating as well. We arrived a bit early for our reservation and they said we could drink at the bar until the table was ready. Unlike normal restaurants where you have to keep looking to see if it was ready, they came to the bar and found us to seat us. Overall amazing experience, highly recommend.Special Features:
- NellcotesimplefoodieDined on 10/21/2014Like the space and the Rolling Stones theme. The service was very good. We were a party of six and all agreed the food was very mediocre. Overall a disappointment.Special Features:
- Better for dinnerzla321VIPDined on 10/19/2014I have been to this place twice for dinner and have loved it. Brunch, however, was sub par. The pastries we started with were slightly dry and room temperature; the slice of quiche I ordered was like the size of my finger.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Perfect place for brunch on a late Sunday morning. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Surprised to find out Tapas StyleLisaMayaDined on 10/18/2014Food was pretty flavorful, but not the best place I have ever eaten. Would I go back with all the great selections in Chicago? Probably not. And, had no idea food was served tapas style until we were seated. Admittedly, I should have read some reviews on this place before making our reservations. Also, was rather noisy and made it difficult to hear our table conversation.Special Features:
- Perfect Place!!!rodguillermoDined on 10/17/2014This place was perfect, I don't recall one single thing I didn't like about it and neither my party. The service was outstanding, the food is out of this world and the desserts are perfect.Special Features:
- looking4wonderfulDined on 10/12/2014Food was decent but not specatcular. Good fair for an average meal. Was hoping for more in flavors and creativity on dishes.
- AmazingJoseDined on 10/12/2014It was our first time in Chicago with my wife (we are Canadians) and we went to Nellcote for a romantic dinner experience. In short, we loved the place with very reasonable prices as opposed to similar places; the decor and setting was amazing and the waitress was extremely polite and informative. We will be going back there for sure next time we are in Chicago!Special Features:
- Menu changes aren't greatcompadeDined on 10/11/2014Seems the new chef/management hasn't yet found their footing. The menus are on cheaper paper and the offerings are not as delicious. I had the omelet and it was mediocre at best. My friend had the lobster brunch offering and liked it a lot. I really wanted the smoked trout item but they no longer carry it. I'd give it some time before going again. Oh, and the server was kind of salesy trying to upsell at every corner. That's annoying.
- SwankyFoodieFamilyTVIPDined on 10/3/2014Beautiful job of redecorating old Marche space ... Beautiful bar & comfortable seating feels very relaxed. Fun people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoicewallydrDined on 10/3/2014Had dinner with friends before a concert, Nellcote was great and we love our shared portions dinner. Our waiter was extremely helpful with recommendations it is now one of our favorites. Robuchon potatoes are to die for...Special Features:
- Snotty ServiceAndyVIPDined on 10/2/2014We got to the restaurant a few minutes late and the very rude host would not seat us for at least 20 minutes. Even though there were plenty of empty tables, he insisted that they were waiting for people to get up. As it was 6pm on a weekday, I asked him if it was from the 4pm dinner seating. I am not sure if it was incompetence or purposeful on the host's part to make us wait for 20 minutes. I am not sure which is worse. The waiter then proceeded to forget several orders. This was a business dinner and I will never go back to this place.Special Features:
- great service with delucated foodsSabrinaDined on 9/28/2014service is perfect, foods are not over creamed and well balanced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Find another restaurantLeonardoDined on 9/27/2014First impressions are we’re in for a fantastic evening. But as we learn from dating, looks aren’t everything. This restaurant lacks depth of personality. A creative selection of signature cocktails gets you started, but there is nowhere to go after that. Almost nonexistent list of appetizers, a decent assortment of pizzas, limited pasta choices, and four non-inventive entrees are all you get to choose from--impossible to construct a gastronomic four course meal. The pizza was soggy—it doesn’t matter that they grind their own flour. Desserts were boring—a butterscotch budino (Italian pudding) was banana pudding with butterscotch syrup on the bottom. Also, caught a member of the staff leaving a bathroom stall without washing his hands.Special Features:
- LaurenCDined on 9/26/2014great food, gorgeous decor, fun for a group celebrationSpecial Features:
- would not go backemeraldqueenVIPDined on 9/26/2014Food OK-would NOT consider this "small Plate" restaurant. pacing of delivery of food was VERY disjointed. We ordered 2 veggies, a pizza and a pasta dish. After a significant wait, the 2 veggies were served(who eats veggies alone?), after another wait the pasta dish was served and after a VERY long wait the pizza served. server she was told "that is the way the chef wants it". I am the customer, they should ask the diner how they want things served. server said the kitchen was slammed.We had a 6 PM reservation.It was not busy when we got there--it did get very busy.FIFO should be the order of the day. We were celebrating a b-day. I put it on my reservation. 2 of us mentioned it upon check in. Dessert was served w/o candle. Comped desserts.Special Features:
- Please, healthier foodAgnesDined on 9/21/2014There were no vegetables on the menu, not so much as a leaf of lettuce, and everything was very heavy and laden with fat. The noise level made conversation close to impossible
- Excellent food, great fun!LoveMyMomDined on 9/20/2014This is our second time at Nellcote and it will definitely not be our last. The decor is trendy and fun, the service is top notch (even though they were very busy we still felt special.) The food is really the star - delicious, and reasonable (a nice surprise) - you feel like you can splurge on the drinks! And I must, mention the apple tartlet for dessert, yum!Special Features:
- NellcottedebvDined on 9/11/2014The wait staff was very nice although talked a bit too much when we first sat down. Food was good. Wine pour was very light though.Special Features:
- Pizza and Drinks on the Patiohslover728VIPDined on 9/7/2014Came in at 8:30 on a Sunday night and the restaurant was pretty empty. We sat on the patio because the weather was perfect. I ordered a dirty martini with grey goose and it tasted very odd. I'm not a martini connoisseur but I have had several dirty martinis in several different places and they never tasted like that before. I thought maybe the bartender put gin instead of vodka or maybe the olive juice was bad. Not sure, but I asked if I could have a glass of Bordeaux instead. Luckily, it wasn't a problem. Our table ordered the Spicy Anduja (pronounced andouille...) pizza. The pieces with a lot of cheese were the best but overall, I really enjoyed it. The sausage was pretty mild but had a slight kick.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening at NellcoteaalbDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I were celebrating her 40th birthday in Chicago and had heard great things about Nellcote. It surpassed expectations. The space is both elegant and energetic. The service was wonderful and warm. Each of our plates, from the cobia crudo to the margherita pizza, was delicious and obviously made with top-quality ingredients. Everyone there made us feel welcome. We will return next time we're in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and will go back againHarleyVIPDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I took my daughter and her husband there for dinner to celebrate their 1 year anniversary. This was our first time there and the food was unbelievably great!!! When you look at the menu you are uncertain about what you are ordering, so we ordered many plates to share. The pastas were especially good. We ordered all three and we were not disappointed. The only items we didn't meet our taste were the vegeetables of otatoes - too watery- and leeks type vegetable. The waitress should give a recap of the items to help customers understand each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014We only had one night in Chicago and this was a perfect place to dine. The European influenced tapas were delightful and creative. The drinks and desserts were also pretty amazing!Special Features: