Nectar Wine Lounge
3330 Steiner Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Nectar Wine Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nectarwinelounge.com/
- Phone: 4153451377
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Gavin Schmidt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Thank you for considering holding your event with us at nectar wine lounge. We are excited to create a memorable wine-graced occasion for you, your friends & family. Whatever your needs, be it a small wine-pairing dinner for 2 or a themed-private party for 80 of your closest friends & companions, we would be delighted to have you here with us at Nectar. Our deep, mosaic wine-cellar piloted by a quartet of sommeliers, and our superlative kitchen with chef Gavin Schmidt at the helm stand ready to cater to your every desire. nectar possesses accommodations to seat 43 seated patrons in a variety of formats, from sleek, contemporary bar seats, to soft, over-stuffed chic armchairs to more traditional seating in our banquette area. Our lounge can hold up to 80 guests for larger, more casual events.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Potter 4153451377
- Entertainment: Offer frequently changing wine tasting events (different themes).
- Special Events: Offer wine tasting events every other Tuesday from 6pm-9pm. Tastings typically feature 5 wines for $25, e.g. Pinot Noirs from Around the World, Germany Uncovered or winery tastings, featuring top wineries such as Melville or Etude.
A word from Nectar Wine Lounge
Located in the heart of San Francisco's Marina District, Nectar Wine Lounge brings together the very nectar which feeds the soul. Our 50 frequently metamorphosing wine selections by the glass span the vastness of the globe and of the palate, and our 900 selection bottle list offers something for even the most adventurous of spirit. Wines are also available for retail purchase. Executive Chef Gavin Schmidt crafts exquisite and mouth-watering dishes, utilizing a New Californian approach with International fusion. Our small plates tantalize the tongue and bring fullness and life to each wine-pairing. The Decor is a stunningly beautiful marriage of Chic, New York style with a distinctly San Francisco aesthetic that is at once both warm and cool.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nectar Wine Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
romantic (2)neighborhood gem (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great experience!mydesilu2VIPDined on 6/22/2014We had a great experience... At first i was a little concerned because the place was packed and they only had one guy working the entire restaurant and bar!! But, this guy handled everyone like a PRO!! He never made us feel like we had to wait and was very attentive the entire time! He was also very knowledgable on the wine list!! Will be back again soon!! Not really sure if the TV screen on the wall fits the mood of the place, but I wasn't really paying attention anything other than the great food and wine!!Special Features:
- What's with the TV and musicRezziechickVIPDined on 6/4/2014Nectar has good food and wine but always has the TV or a movie projected on the wall which does not remotely go with the ambiance for a wine bar. Also, the music playing every time I go is totally random and doesn't work with the space or vibe I think they are trying to create. My advice is to turn off the TV and play better music if they want better patronage. The people I was with felt the same way.
- The following 127 reviews are from the Nectar Wine Lounge reviews archive.
- Enjoyed the wine flights andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014Enjoyed the wine flights and service was good. Food we ordered was ok, not excellent (roasted root vegetables, butternut squash pizzetta, and macaroni and cheese with wild mushrooms). Not too crowded on a Saturday at 8:30 p.m.Special Features:
- Date night spot!MiCaVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great bites and a wonderful wine list. The wine flights are fun!Special Features:
- Made Our Anniversary So SpecialsargosDined on 4/12/2014My boyfriend and I came to Nectar for our 3-year anniversary, and they pulled out all the stops! The hosts and servers recognized us as soon as we came in, they listened to the comments I'd left in the reservation and tailored service specifically to us, planning a special wine and cheese flight followed by delicious entrees and dessert. We were so impressed by the wines and the servers' in-depth knowledge on each. We had an amazing time, and would definitely recommend Nectar for your next special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatchrisDined on 3/15/2014We went there on a Saturday night for a birthday celebration this place was very cute a the server were great. Right as you sit down the bring you water and tell you about different wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back AgainRegularDinerDined on 2/11/2014I discovered this place over a year ago and have now been there 4-5 times. I most recently took my cousin and we had a very enjoyable meal along with our creative wine flights. It was a Tuesday night so it was not particularly busy, probably about a dozen people in the place. Service was very good and the wine and food came quickly once ordered. We were busy talking so time passed but we were appropriately checked in on several times. This is a great place to take a date, hang with friends or just go by yourself for some good food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance. Service staffOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2013Great ambiance. Service staff were friendly and welcoming! We enjoyed wine, cheese and salami, perfect place for it. Will definitely be back and hope we can get the comfy couches!
- Wine Bar with a great kitchenWiningaboutMarinVIPDined on 10/5/2013This little wine bar in the Marina neighborhood deserves some attention. We had found other reviews online that raved about the food and they were right. We had trouble making choices from a short but very interesting menu. We finally started with the burratta and an arugula salad. The Burratta was accompanied by a simple salad and prosciutto - simple but excellent. The arugula salad included pears, sour cherries, and feta and was dressed perfectly. But the star of our meal was the grilled cheese with guacamole, bacon, and gouda. We loved it. As it happened we started comparing notes with the guests as the next table - they loved the cured salmon. Be aware this is a wine bar with food so the seating is very casual - loungy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- *LOUD* Great food & wine!PinkFoodieLadyVIPDined on 8/17/2013Was here w/ a bachelorette party on Sat. night around 8:30pm & the place was packed to the seams & VERY loud. Luckily, towards the back of the restaurant, there are some tables where our group was seated. A tad more quiet, at least enough so we could talk w/ each other. The wine list was AWESOME! We did the bubble flight & tried a few others, unfortunately I've forgotten the names at the moment, but all very nice. We shared a few items from the dinner menu, flat breads, truffle mac n' cheese, grilled avocado & prosciutto sandwich & the arugula salad. All were very tasty- especially the grilled avocado & prosciutto sandwich. Recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a vibrant place to enjoy a nice glass & tasty food w/ friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Quality & Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2013We really enjoyed our evening at NECTAR. Seated just at the end of 'happy hour' which is quite a bargin for the excellent wine and starters. Totally satisfied with the entire menu choices esp. the melt-in-your-mouth gnocchi. Will return soon to work through other items on the menu we missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine BarOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 5/22/2013Loved the Happy Hour at Nectar! The appetizers were great and so was the wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent wines and light meals.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012Excelent wines and light meals. Very nice ambience for wine-lovers. Super-friendly staff. Absolutely loved it.Special Features:
- No whining about this wine bar!Luv2dineDined on 12/27/2012This wine bar is nearby the Cow Hollow Hotel and is located off of Chestnut St. in the Marina area. I had a trio of bubbly and it was good. I made reservations at 8 pm. This tiny establishment was full but they did reserve a table for us in the back. Had I not had a voucher from Bllomspot we would have arrived at happy hour but we had to go after happy hour which ends at 7pm. The two entres we split (Mac n Cheese and pizza) was plenty of food for all of us to enjoy. The prices are a tad steep but if you are just a couple it should not be too bad. With the food, my bubbly and one non-alcoholic drink I ended up paying an extra twenty dollars over my voucher (worth forty dollars). They did include 20 percent for the tip on the checThosSpecial Features:
- The staff was so so nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2012The staff was so so nice and engaging. We decided to sit at the bar and were treated to many tastings and amazing apps. This may be my new favorite place!Special Features:
- A great alternative to otherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2012A great alternative to other wine bars in the Marina - Nectar is subdued, chill, and a great value (especially if you hit it when they have drink specials - I think it's a regular happy hour thing). Service is always great - prompt, friendly, and knowledgeable about wine yet down to earth.
- European wine delightsSouthcityCAVIPDined on 5/20/2012Unlike a trip to Napa or Sonoma, you get to taste and enjoy a variety of wines from Europe and the rest of the world!!! The Lounge is friendly, comfortable, and the music soothing. A surprise is the bar food, which was totally delicious!!! Sample taste is a generous 2.5 ounces (full glass = 5oz), and you can purchase full bottles of what you sample at RETAIL prices!!! Wonderful way to relax, chat, and have fun. Then take a bottle (or two) to continue at home. Parking is always iffy in the Marina. Pricey public lot a block away ($2 for 1/2hr).Special Features:
- My husband and I went hereMichelleDined on 3/17/2012My husband and I went here for my birthday, which happens to be Saint Patrick's Day. We were looking for something fun but more sophisticated than the typical St. Paddy's Day crazy bar scene. Nectar was perfect. The food was great and beautifully plated, but the portions were pretty small. The bartender and server offered great recommendations but were a bit slow with their service due to the place being too busy for two attendants. There is a fun, relaxing ambience. Even though it is primarily a wine bar, there was a family with two kids under 6 years old in the lounge. This was no problem. The comfy sofas and wide variety of food will please almost everyone.Special Features:
- Always Great!VonnyDined on 3/4/2012Always great. Large portions on some of the small plates especially the pizzetta. Leave room for butterscotch pudding even if you think you don't like butterscotch pudding. Really divine!!Special Features:
- The food selection was a littleJohnVIPDined on 3/3/2012The food selection was a little disappointing after a friend claimed it was great. The wine was good but service was very slow. Understaffed badly.Special Features:
- We were fortunate to be seatedTravelerVIPDined on 2/10/2012We were fortunate to be seated in the back as I prefer a "regular" table and chairs to the lower lounge chairs. The wine flights were awesome, the food was perfect, and the service was great.
- Very attentive and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/3/2012Very attentive and friendly staff. Warm and lovely experience with delicious food and wine; and all at a reasonable cost.Special Features:
- Girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/12/2012We enjoyed a nice girls night out here. The seating very comfortable but It's definitely an intimate small party size environment, I wouldn't come here with more than a four top. Only one server present, he was rushed but did a good job. The food was tasty and well presented, but what had was pretty typical not that inventive, however I must point out it paired well with our wine. This was a fun place we will revisit. Recommend the Ahi tartare and the arugula salad.Special Features:
- There is no food. LookingMarcosDined on 1/7/2012There is no food. Looking at the reviews it looks like there is. They have just appetizers. The wine list is great. It is a great wine bar.
- We will definitely returnOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/7/2012What a great way to experience the Marina District!A warm intimate environement for enjoying great wine.The wine list is substantial. The service is inviting and informative; they know their wine. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- A+OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/12/2011Really enjoyed our dining experience. Our server took pride in his work, and it showed. Food is tasty. Definitely order the bacon-wrapped dates!Special Features:
- We have often enjoyed NectarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2011We have often enjoyed Nectar for its quiet ambience, although on this visit it was crowded and noisy. Not a problem for us, other than the staff was a bit overworked so the service, top notch in terms of quality, was slower than I think even they would like. They could have used one more staff person to handle the crowd. Their food is always very good, their wine selection (and prices!) equally good, and the service generally outstanding. And on the upside, seeing them crowded fairly early on a Wednesday night was nice - we want them to do well and remain in business in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Worth the wait...once!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/6/2011Christopher (manager? owner?) is lovely! Unfortunately, on the night we went, two of his staff failed to show and Christopher was running the entire front of house on his own with only one person in the kitchen. Made for a V-E-R-Y L-O-N-G wait! The food arrived just as we had decided to leave, and OMG, it was worth the wait! My favorite was the tuna tartare! Would have loved to get more advice on which wines to pair with small plates - besides what was written in the menu, but he was WAY too busy for that. Will probably return, but if I see no front of house wait person next time, I would have to take my biz elsewhere cuz even this delicious food isn't worth waiting that long. Christopher did comp our wine flights, which was great!Special Features:
- BUBBLICIOUSSSSS!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/18/2011A friend and I came here after dinner for the 1st time, and we discovered some great finds. The black truffle popcorn was addicting, the grapes salsa on the cheese plate was kicking and we found our NEW FAVORITE wine which we purchased a bottle for each of us to take home. This is a nice place to just hang, and I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food and Bubbly to matchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011Who can complain after a great meal and two bottles of Champagne... Not me :)Special Features:
- Service was excellent. WineshellydkVIPDined on 11/10/2011Service was excellent. Wine list remarkable. Food was decent and better than many similar places. Biggest draw back were the tables and chairs-- chairs so low that to get to the table, one had to spread legs and eat between the knees. Not very ladylike. Bar stools tower above the tables and make one endlessly conscious of the wine glasses above. Still, a worthwhile place. Don't pretend to get a parking place-- take public transportation or be prepared to walk 20 blocks, or pay $13 bucks for an hour of parking at Wells Fargo.Special Features:
- a great place for a snackstyleVIPDined on 8/22/2011a great place for a snack type of bite and a wine list as gorgeous as can be! bottles, glasses and now you can buy at retalil. always feel welcome here. a bottle of rose, some smoked salmon flatbread and thou...Special Features:
- Horrendously slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2011Horrendously slow service. Wait staff would not make eye contact as they rushed by. The food was not as advertized on website. Boring, slow, noisy.
- Great wine selection, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2011Great wine selection, very smart wine tasting menus, great food to go with the wine (home made salumi are a must). You can purchase the wines you liked most at very reasonable retail prices.Special Features:
- a great spot to meet friends.styleVIPDined on 7/6/2011a great spot to meet friends. the wine list goes on and on and their flights are fabulous. love the copy...so creative and informative. light bites are well prepared and fun. the salmon flatbread is my favorite. the staff will go out of their way to accommodate and inform.Special Features:
- Nectar was a little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2011Nectar was a little pricey for what you get. Food was good but some of the servings were TINY. Service was fantastic and atmosphere was nice. Good place for a date. Just make sure he pays ;)Special Features:
- Limited selection, but whatCVThomasDined on 7/1/2011Limited selection, but what we had was very good. Loved the wine options. Looking forward to our next visit.
- The food was ok, but not superOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2011The food was ok, but not super tasty bites. The wine flights were fine, but we did not have any discoveries from our tastings, although we did find a nice Pinot Noir off the menu by the glass menu. I was hoping for better food, which would have made the experience overall much better. It was just loud enough to make conversation a bit challenging with a group of people, but got quieter as the evening went on. Server did not seem super knowledgable about wine, but could have been that it was difficult to convey knowledge over ambient noise.Special Features:
- Tasty small plates & excellent wineOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/17/2011The food was fantastic--small plates--perfect for sharing and tasting. Unique food; great flavors. Excellent wine. Excellent service. We will definitely return. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good wine & food...not cheapOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2011Overall, great wine and food but it's not cheap. I can understand the expensive, good wine but $15/tapa gets expensive. Atmosphere is nice, can be loud though.Special Features: