1001 Wharf Street
Victoria, BC V8W 1T6Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
Nautical Nellies Steak & Seafood House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nauticalnelliesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 250-380-2260x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Adam Hunter
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Catering: Can accommodate groups up to 30 people.
The cozy interior, featuring local artwork, sets the tone for the food and wine. At the centre of this rustic charm is a bountiful oyster bar, Victoria’s only true oyster bar. Nautical Nellies offers a large selection of fresh, local, OceanWise sustainable seafood and well aged, hand cut Certified Angus Beef steaks. The menu is a mix of classic and modern styles with distinct West Coast influences. Start your meal with Jonah Crab Cakes. (Rumoured to be the best in the city!) or the succulent albacore tuna tataki. For lunch choose one of their handcrafted sandwiches featuring Dungeness crab or Atlantic lobster. At dinner, the Hunter Sirloin or a more traditional surf and turf.
The wine list has won several Playhouse International Wine Festival Awards and Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2008- 2012
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Although we were in the heart of Victoria, the restaurant didn't have a very touristy feel - the vibe had a nice urban feel to it and we were really pleased to be there. We sat outside and the heaters took off the September chill. The staff were attentive and keen to help us make the right choices for us - we wanted to do the usual awkward stuff like sharing plates and ordering appertisers as more of a tapas and our waiter was happy to bob down the river with us. He recommended a delicious Blue Mountain Pinot Noir - we often find the red Pinot Noirs too light but this had tremendous personality. The shrimp and the salmon were sublime. We didn't venture inside so can't comment on the interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencemarkDined on 9/3/2014We made reservations at last minute for dinner. The entire experience was great, service and food was good although a bit procey for portion. We would recomend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Better meals at Red LobsterdavidVIPDined on 8/30/2014Loud, crowded, slow service. Food not very good, and the portions were small (that might actually be a good thing). I wouldn't recommend or return.
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Our lunch was a birthday celebration and included all adults. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the service was great. We all agreed that we'd go back to Nautical Nellies without hesitation. It's on my list to stop by for lunch when I return to Victoria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful experiencecathDined on 8/23/2014plenty of amazing dishes to chose from. service was exceptional, very friendly and knowledgeable wait staff. I had requested if it was possible on a short notice to have view seating and as quiet and intimate as possible, it was delivered. we had a very nice booth to enjoy our great meal. lobster bisque,mmmmm. seafood salad was loaded , lots of Dungeness crab,shrimp etc., the steak was tender and juicy, perfect. great drinks and a good wine list, tasting were given as I was undecided on my wine choice,i left it up to my server who did not disappoint. all in we had a wonderful meal with great service and fair prices, we followed our dinner with an evening walk along the inner harbour, beautiful! we will be back.Special Features:
- Service was dreadful, food OKOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014We ate at Nautical Nellies during the Dragon Boat Festival in August. We weren't part of the Festival but the town was busy and the restaurant was full. We arrived for our booking and were seated, orders taken and our appetizers arrived. All OK so far. Then we waited. And waited. And waited... we finished our wine and despite our best efforts could not attract the waiter to inquire about our overdue meals nor to order a drink while we continued to wait. He FINALLY arrived with our main courses with no apology or explanation as to the delay. The restaurant itself is in need of updating, it feels outdated, the food was generally fine but nothing I would go back for.
- Exceptional goodDisappointedVIPDined on 8/15/2014I wish there were seafood restaurants like this in the San Francisco Bay AreaSpecial Features:
- Great casual restaurantTravelgurudanvilleVIPDined on 8/15/2014I found the other reviews for this restaurant spot on. Great good, wonderful selection, good pricing, fun staff and generous plates. Couldn't have asked for more.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014As always, this restaurant has great food with a quiet atmosphere. Perfect for taking out of town guest to.Special Features:
- Good food and servicesxmscorpioDined on 8/9/2014This is a busy restaurant but service was very good. We were advised that the food may be slow in coming as the kitchen was a little behind but we did not find it a terribly long wait and it was nice to be informed beforehand. Our server was never intrusive but always there just at the right time. Food was good. It's not fine dining but well cooked and good variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair but not for foodiesAndMillerDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant is overrated. The food is OK, but the service by teenagers or young adults employed for the summer is what it means. Poorly deserved 2 stars.Special Features:
- Delicious ExperienceVancouver2VictoriaDined on 8/5/2014Went to this restaurant with my mom on a trip to Victoria. We decided to share a bunch of appetizers instead of ordering entrees. The food was so delicious that we over ate but it was worth it! We ordered everything seafood and it was tasty and really fresh! The service was really good, except I think the hostess may have over sat our waitress because she was looked a little busy and wasn't checking in on us for a little bit. Besides that everything was great and I will be recommending Nautical Nellies restaurant to anyone going to the downtown Victoria area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nautical NelliesDoriDined on 8/4/2014Best crab cakes I have ever had. Very busy but service was good. A definite place to experience in Victoria, Vancouver Island.Special Features:
- Food First View SecondClintonODined on 7/30/2014We chose this location based on a recommendation based on view. What we learned is that they should have recommended food and then view. Sushi rolls with real crab, two kinds of salmon and pick your own sauce, and lastly a couple of delicious deserts. Oh, yeah by the way a spectacular view of harbour. We must admit that we made early dinner reservations and got the prime location on the patio at the end high top table and the view and ambience were just spectacular. One hostess was working about 10 tables and I could not believe how well she did it! We visited a lot of spectacular restaurants in Victoria and stumbled across this one for our last night. Great catch! Enjoy!Special Features:
- Victoria the way it was meant to beMmgoodDined on 7/27/2014We enjoyed the perfect summer evening sitting out on the patio, watching the harbor. Our server recommended a great wine to go with our meal, the seafood was delectable, and the staff willingly made some substitutions to my husband's entree. I just couldn't have asked for a more perfect way to enjoy Victoria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazing, highly recommendRosVDined on 7/21/2014We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and booked the restaurant before arriving in Victoria. We were pleased to hear it is well thought of by the locals as several people told us we had chosen well. We were not disappointed, from the moment we arrived we felt special, the staff were attentive and informative but not intrusive, the food was amazing and the view of the water was a nice bonus. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Not impressedeggsDined on 7/19/2014After spending 10 days in the pacific NW, this was indeed the most expensive choice for average food. Or server was great but it took an hour until we were served or meal. Steak and fish prices of$34to$42+ I felt was evasive. You even have to pay for bread, which I thought should have been sent over to us with an apology for the long wait but never came. Steak was definitely cooked longer than medium. Carrots way undercooked.Sorry,I read great reviews but there are plenty of other choices in town.
- Great Food!love2dineoutDined on 7/10/2014We have had the same waiter for our last two visits. His name is Jamie and he makes us so at ease and has a great sense of humor (very important!). We were a group of six and we had a great time. They really do have the best crab cakes around!!Special Features:
- RockyDined on 6/28/2014Excellent service and ambience. Food very good also. Will return for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousVictoriavisitorDined on 6/27/2014We were visiting family and found this gem on Open Table. Excellent variety for kids as well as adults. You don't have to love seafood to love this restaurant! Steaks & Seafood dishes were both delicious and generous!Special Features:
- Steakfan56Dined on 6/26/2014In general very good restaurant, but the table itself for two persons far too small and in a relatively dark cornerSpecial Features:
- Great EveningBrianDined on 6/19/2014Food was superb and service was great. At one point a couple of men came in who were obviously intoxicated and were a little loud. they were politely requested to leave by the manager...the situation was extremely professionally handled.Special Features:
- Outstandingluv2eatDined on 6/14/2014One of the best meals we experienced whilst visiting Victoria and on this occasion was a birthday dinner which made it even more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good and nice locationRalphieDined on 6/10/2014We were on our final day in Victoria and wantedto eat along the iinner harbor. We found this place and had a great experience in food and service. Good harbor view to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceJjjzfreeDined on 5/31/2014We were in Victoria for my mother in laws 80th birthday. Our waiter was one of the best I have ever had. We are all in the restaurant business and great service is hard to find these days! The menu was extensive and everyone loved their dinners, salads and app. The only room for improvement is the desserts were not chilled enough.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerBobbyWackDined on 5/24/2014Our party of 5 had dinner there on Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend. We walked from the Empress, where we were staying, and it was a great find (much better than the Coast Restaurant in Victoria the night before). From the Oyster Tower appetizer we shared, to the Kale Caesars and Lobster Bisque, to the Paella, Seafood Papardelle, Mixed Grill, Surf & Turf, & Risotto, ALL of the food was fantastic. Our waiter Tim was terrific as well. We all agreed it was one of the best meals we had enjoyed in a long time! We recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2eatseafoodDined on 5/24/2014We requested a quiet, romantic table and were given the closest you have to that description. The service was very good - there when we needed, but did not hover. The food was excellent. We flew into Victoria from Calgary for the weekend specifically to have dinner at your restaurant and we were not disappointed - thank youSpecial Features:
- The following 215 reviews are from the Nautical Nellies Steak & Seafood House reviews archive.
- So tastyASTROnniferJENNDined on 5/3/2014Groupon was an amaaaazing deal! Would totally buy it again. My Caesar salad wasn't that great (it was mostly white iceberg-type lettuce, where was the green romaine?), but the seafood platter was crazy good. The desserts were delicious but honestly a little too big after that huge meal! Now there's a 'complaint' you don't hear too often :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PdotVIPDined on 4/17/2014Good food. Good service. We found this restaurant via open table. We will return the next time we are in Victoria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really bad date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Even though we had made a reservation we were stuck in the far corner of a windowless room next to 2 families with young children. The service was painfully slow. The food was very good but not good enough to make up for everything else.
- Wonderful As UsualHemmbarrDined on 3/26/2014Nautical Nellie's is consistently outstanding. If you want a wonderful dining experience this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant evening of diningphramazoidDined on 3/25/2014Good for out of towners. Friendly, efficient staff. Variety of fresh oysters. Excellent filet. All prepared well and served in a timely manner. Limited beer selection for Portlanders but nonetheless a fine evening. If in Victoria again, I wouldn't hesitate to dine at Nautical Nellies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseVictoriaDined on 3/14/2014I passed by the restaurant many times before but since I am vegetarian it never occurred to me to enter. Made a reservation last night when out of town friends visited. My friends ate the seared tuna and loved it. I had the vegetarian stirfry and it was outstanding! Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always happyTamaraDined on 2/24/2014I love this place. The food, service and drinks are always amazing. I always recommend this place to everyone I know. Never a dull moment. When I leave, I'm always planning my next visit back to try something new off their menu. Great chefs and bartenders. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day Go To.JimKDined on 2/15/2014We have been coming to Victoria twice a year for over 10 years and after trying numerous other restaurants have stuck with Nautical Nellies as favorite spot. The food and service are consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014My daughter and i had a very enjoyable evening. The service was fantastic. Not Over powering but attentive. Atmosphere was very nice and we even commented how quiet yet energetic was the feeling. I think it would be a fantastic date spot. I just might do that ! :)Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!SuebellaDined on 1/25/2014We had a fantastic meal and enjoyed every morsel. It was lobster fest so we both took advantage of the special menu. Nautical nellies is a great place to go if you are hungry as the portion sizes are worth the price unlike many restaurants that charge high prices for a tiny bit of food in the middle of a large plate! Had sushi for our appy and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The hostess ignored our beingmikolDined on 12/24/2013The hostess ignored our being an Open Table reservation and just took us to sit down. Open Table then assumed we didn't show up. The service was below par and the food so-so.
- The service was fantastic!dinerDined on 12/22/2013The service was fantastic! Very friendly but not interrupting or in my space like some places practice. The food was really good as it usually is with the exception of the crab cakes...they had an off flavor. Overall, a great place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No DisappointmentsGlennLDined on 9/26/2013We're visitors from Seattle and Houston and enjoyed the meal, including wine and service, very much. We'll return to NN when we come back to this lovely city.I would recommend this to a friend.