3033 NE Alberta
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
VegetarianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.naturalselectionpdx.com/
- Phone: 5032885883x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Aaron Woo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Wine
- Cross Street: 31st
- Public Transit: The Trimet Bus #9-Powell/Broadway can be boarded on Broadway Ave in the Portland City Center. The bus crosses NE Alberta at 27th, a few blocks from our location. Broadway and Radio Cabs are a good option for travelers. Ample bike parking available.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Ample parking available on the streets surrounding the restaurant. Please note that Alberta Street is closed to traffic on the last Thursday of each month, June through September, for the Last Thursday Arts Festival. Please allow extra transit time, as well as additional time for parking.
A word from Natural Selection
Natural Selection is a restaurant built on vegetables, fruits, and grains, featuring finely crafted meals paired with choice wines and spirits.Continued
Served in a warm European-style setting, the menu combines both rustic and modern cooking techniques while highlighting the flavors of France, Italy & Spain.
Served in a warm European-style setting, the menu combines both rustic and modern cooking techniques while highlighting the flavors of France, Italy & Spain.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Natural Selection - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Natural Selection reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (72)romantic (55)neighborhood gem (55)notable wine list (25)hot spot (9)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- PRDPDXDined on 9/17/2014Seated across from the ice machine which added to the noise level. Ask to be seated towards the front of the restaurant: avoid the back if possible. We had no choice. In fact, the restaurant seemed totally unaware that we had a reservation so were unprepared for us when we arrived. The cocktails are stellar. The food is artfully presented and explained. You can tell by looking and tasting that careful thought has been given to each dish. Most are delicious. The night we dined, the desserts were the weakest link.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I thought the food had too many elements to each dish. Keep it more simple and a few more choices. I loved how fresh the veggies were. The kitchen in the middle of the restaurant was nice and silverware and water glasses were beautiful.
- My favorite restaurant in Portland!ChickpeaDeeDined on 9/12/2014Amazing food; so inventive and beautifully presented! Impeccable service and nice cozy Portland style atmosphere. A fantastic choice if you want a fresh, seasonal, gourmet vegan dinner. Delicious and never disappoints!Special Features:
- Magical ExperienceLoveTMMDined on 9/12/2014I came to Portland for my first date with a woman I've known for eight years. Restaurant selection was really key for a great first date. We loved Natural Selection. The poached egg with puffed pastry was amazing. We could enjoy that dish every day! Loved the staff and ambiance was perfect for our date. Definitely coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKatrinMTDined on 9/11/2014I had high hopes for this restaurant. The two of us ordered one of each option and got the wine flight. They obviously use great fresh ingredients but most of the dishes were discordant at best and simply not good at worst. vegetarian food can be amazing (e.g. Millennium) but this restaurant seemed to lack vision and the ability to craft a composed purposeful dish. Clearly the vegetarian options out there are limited for this restaurant to be so busy.
- loved it!allynfarrellDined on 9/6/2014Great service and stellar food! The wine pairings and drinks were great and the food was almost too beautiful to eat. What a wonderful place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary destinationMarlonBrandoDined on 9/5/2014I reserved a table for two for my second anniversary with my boyfriend. We enjoyed stellar service, the standard prix fixe offering seasonal foods lovingly prepared, and fantastic wine pairings. This includes some extras they don't mention: a delightful aperitif, an amuse bouche, and a refreshing post-entree granita. And the staff also served us a special salad course in honor of our occasion. I could not have picked a better spot! Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to the hypemkk1Dined on 9/5/2014My girlfriend and I tried this place two times because, based on all the hoopla this place gets, we figured our first mediocre experience must have been a fluke. It wasn't. The food was fine (with the exception of one really under-poached egg), but there was nothing so out-of-this-world as to justify the $45 per person price tag. Just as good (or better) can be had elsewhere for a third of the price.
- carnivores won't miss meat heremtf419VIPDined on 9/4/2014The preparation and quality at this all vegetarian establishment would rival any traditional restaurant. With an open kitchen and rustic chic ambiance, diners will feel very comfortable trusting staff recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2014Food was very well presented and was all very good. The two column 4 course fixed price menu made decisions easy, one of everything so my partner and I could share our plates. Definitely worth coming back to.Special Features:
- Outstanding dinner, great service!o2wineanddineDined on 9/3/2014I read about this restaurant in an article about restaurants to try in Portland. We were so glad we went! They have a prix fixe 4 course menu, with 2 choices for each course. This is a vegetarian menu but meat lovers won't miss a thing. Each course was lovely to behold and delicious to taste. There is an optional wine pairing which is thoughtful and well chosen. This is a small intimate space, very romantic, though we did see a couple of groups of up to 7 diners. Very knowledgable, friendly staff. A real find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingStefDined on 8/29/2014The food in this restaurant is absolutely outstanding. The mix and balance of flavors and sophistication level is among the best, if not the best, I have ever experienced. What elevates the cooking, and my admiration of the chef(s) skills, is that it is all done with a vegan or vegetarian menu - it does not rely on a meat to take center stage. Natural Selection has moved into my all time favorite restaurant spot, replacing a restaurant in Santa Fe that has been my standing favorite for over 20 years. Well done Natural Selection, thank you for the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing vegetarian cuisine!zenyoDined on 8/27/2014We went for a special occasion and took the 4-course dinner. We had a good time while eating well prepared vegetarian foodSpecial Features:
- Amazing all aroundAaronBDined on 8/22/2014Vegan or not, Natural Selection should be on your list. The present ion, pacing, and pure passion shown by the kitchen and front of the house staff are all top notch and the food is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really AmazingEater10000VIPDined on 8/16/2014Each of us had the one of the two tasting menus. The food was really remarkable and inventive. Plus, the service was impeccable. The staff explained each dish very well and were truly friendly and appreciative. Everything was a highlight, yet the bruleed peaches for dessert really stood out for me.Special Features:
- Vegan trying to be upscaleGourmetFauxDined on 8/16/2014The service and table settings were upscale but the noise level and ambience detracted from the overall experience. The tables were very close, and the party next to ours was so loud that we could barely hear each other talk. The first course dishes were excellent but quite pricey, but the main dishes were disappointing and very expensive for the ingredients they contained. My dish was taken back and redone because it was too salty, and returned less salty but minus the beans. In fact, without the beans there was no concentrated protein source in the whole dinner. We were given a dessert on the house because they felt bad about our experience--and the dessert was the best dish! WE have much better vegan food at a third of the price.
- Best Restaurant In Portland.pdxbennettDined on 8/13/2014It's like an art gallery for food. Looks great. Tastes great.Special Features:
- great place for something newmehereVIPDined on 8/8/2014Innovative and very tasty. Lots of great flavors. The deserts are 'good' but the mains/apps, and so on were spectacular.
- Gourmet vegetarian!CalgaryFoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014This was an outstanding dinner experience. It's a tiny place with a small menu, but everything on that menu is prepared with creativity. This is vegetarian food at its best - no TVP or tofu masquerading as something else - just the vegetables shining in their glory. Service was top-notch and professional, fine-dining level. A surprise, and a very pleasant one!Special Features:
- Not your mothers vegetarianfussyladyDined on 7/31/2014Terrifically inventive vegetarian. Beautifully presented. Had the tasting menu and really liked each course. The aranncini was a bit over done but that was the only less than perfect moment. The watermelon amuse bouche was worth adding to the menu.Special Features:
- Best dinner I've had in awhileSarahshuDined on 7/31/2014Came to Natural Selection with my husband for my birthday. The food was amazing! I was perfectly full and content at the end out our meal. All the staff were friendly and very attentive. I look forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem!SWsubfoodloverDined on 7/25/2014Natural Selection was fantastic in all respects. We were in from out of town, staying in downtown Portland without a car, but managing the bus system to get to NE Alberta Street was well worth the effort. At NS, the food was spectacular - fresh, intriguing, and prepared flawlessly. We did the wine pairing, and each wine choice was of the the highest quality and matched perfectly. We are not vegetarians, but have always appreciated excellent vegetarian meals, and NS is the best we have had in any city on our culinary journeys.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014These folks are artists whose pallet is vegetables and whose audience is you. We traveled 2000 miles for our second visit and it was as wonderful as the first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Natural Selection PortlandLEGDiningVIPDined on 7/18/2014One of the most amazing meals I've ever had! Innovative, healthy and incredibly delicious! The wine pairings were fantastic! I cannot wait to go back! A great dining experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expand to ScottsdaleDesertRatDined on 7/17/2014Please open a sister restaurant in Scottsdale....I will personally invest if you would consider the idea. Our community needs and would support the healthy living that Natural Selection models. Todd LaPorte Chief Financial and Strategy Officer Scottsdale Lincoln Health Network 480-882-4904Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!DrinkyVIPDined on 7/17/2014We ordered both tasting menus with the wine pairings and were wowed with every dish. The wine pairings complemented the food very nicely. The presentation is beautiful, and the service is attentive and friendly. We love that the entire menu is vegetarian, so we can enjoy everything without wondering if the dishes contain meat products. We will definitely be back, and will bring friends on our next visit!Special Features:
- Good eatsCharlesettaDined on 7/16/2014We enjoyed each aspect of each meal from the opening of our palate to the cleansing of the palate for dessert. Our waiter explained each item we ate which was great, prices were a bit steep for us, so, glad a friend cared enough to give a gift card. Overall we'd come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A vegan's paradise.MadoneDined on 7/12/2014Best vegan food in town. Presentation is second to none. Very creative menu. Friendly service. To top it off a $15 corkage fee. A can't miss restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionacwyseDined on 7/10/2014Took my bf here for his birthday. I mentioned the occasion on our reservation, and the kitchen gave us an extra course to celebrate! We had such a great experience, a flawless 5 course meal. The food, service, and timing of each course was spot-on. Such a gem, we can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Vegetarian Haut CuisineschmancynancyDined on 7/9/2014I don't know how Natural Selection manages to make a dish like "Wild Rice & Beets" or "Beans & Carrots" as to-die-for scrumptious as they do, but impeccable produce and painstaking attention to detail are certainly involved. The wine pairings were spot-on, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Proof We Don't Need MeatBpozDined on 7/9/2014Awesome food with awesome presentation. Great drinks. Great atmosphere. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuicyMcFoodieDined on 6/27/2014Superb. Flavor profile is spot on. They are culinary artists who have fun turning their (vegie) source material into food magic.Special Features:
- Amazing!StinaMDined on 6/26/2014Our dinner was delicious - bursting with texture and freshness - filled with unique flavors. The service was wonderful - friendly, knowledgable, and unhurried. The atmosphere of the restaurant is elegant but kind of funky, with mismatching silverware that is actually made of silver, and etched glassware that looks like something your grandmother might keep in her china cabinet. The price makes it appropriate for a special occasion, but wow, was it special. We will definitely be coming here again.Special Features:
- Terrific gourmet vegetariancjamesyDined on 6/21/2014This place proves just how tasty vegetarian can be. 4-course prix fixe dinner, entirely vegetarian, & EVERYTHING was delicious. My favorites were the "chestnut pasta with rapini" (just the right amount of spicy, from the chili, & sweet, from the golden raisins), & the "beets & parsnips" (great flavors & textures). This is not a quick meal - food is served over a 2-hour period (which they tell you), & in our case there were some definite lags in the service. That said, the service was very friendly (they were apologetic about the lags) & the quality of the food more than made up for it. The only other minor quibble was that for the "peas & carrots" entree (labeled as non-vegan), the menu was unclear as to what the non-vegan component was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad bad badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014we had a reservation, and after being told to we'd have to wait to be seated, two other parties that arrived after us were seated first. after standing outside for almost 20 minutes, the atmosphere was loud and cramped, there were unreasonably long gaps in between courses, the portions were extremely small, all courses were over salted. we spent our wedding anniversary evening here, and we wish we hadn't. we could have had a way more pleasant and delicious experience for half the cost anywhere on Alberta.
- An Amazing Dining Experience!PortlandFoodieDined on 6/21/2014Natural Selection takes you on a luxurious food journey, fusing together exquisite and amazing combinations of foods and flavors that you would never dream of. EVERY course was a delectable delight, and the portions were just right so that you could truly savor and enjoy the course you were on and not get too filled up by the time dessert arrived. The presentation of each course was also visibly delightful. A gifted chef, to say the least! The service was also EXCELLENT. Do not miss out on this extraordinary dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2014I enjoyed my meal but not sure it was worth the costSpecial Features:
- I'd go again.briantDined on 6/12/2014My wife and I went for an anniversary dinner. The dishes showcased the fresh vegetables, with added flavors and sauces serving to gently highlight -- but certainly not overpower -- the natural tastes. Ambience and noise levels were a comfortable quiet -- not too loud, but also not eerily silent. We enjoyed our dinner and would definitely dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and deliciousLuv2dine2VIPDined on 6/11/2014I don' know which to put first, the beauty of the food or how delicious it was. I just loved dining at Natural Selection, and even an omnivore would enjoy it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Our party of 4 had the full course dinner with the wine pairing. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The wines selected with each course complimented amazingly... obvious that some careful consideration went into the choices. The pace was perfect: we never waited nor did we ever feel rushed. I couldn't have asked for more from the servers. This was my second visit in 3 years and, once again, a wonderful dining experience. I highly recommend for anyone looking for a restaurant where you step out onto the sidewalk after your meal and just say "wow" to each other.Special Features: