Nathaniel's At The Hawthorne Hotel
18 Washington Sq West
Salem, MA 01970Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Nathaniel's At The Hawthorne Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hawthornehotel.com/dining/index.htm
- Phone: (978) 825-4311
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Fri 6:30am-11am, Sat & Sun 7am-10:30am
Dinner: Sun-Thurs 5pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 5pm-9:30pm
Sunday Jazz Brunch: 11:30am-2pm
*Please note that holiday hours may differ from those listed above. If you are unable to make a reservation, please be sure to call our restaurant directly.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steve Nelson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: If you are interested in a catered event or large party, please contact our catering office at 978-825-4358.
- Entertainment: Live pianist each Friday, Saturday and Sunday night starting at 6:30pm.
Jazz entertainment each Sunday from 11:30am-2pm.
- Special Events: Nathaniel's offers a variety of holiday events throughout the year. Please contact us directly via telephone if you are interested in joining us for special events and/or holidays.
- Public Transit: Walking distance from the Salem MBTA commuter rail station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Our parking lot is offered to hotel guests and diners on a first-come first-serve basis. If our parking lot is at capacity, there are two covered municipal garages each within one block of the hotel.
A word from Nathaniel's At The Hawthorne Hotel
For an unforgettable dining experience, visitors from all points of the compass enjoy the ambiance, warm hospitality and award-winning seasonal cuisine of Nathaniel's Restaurant. Our dinner menu offers a range of dishes, including historic items from a bygone era to contemporary, eclectic fare. Nathaniel's also offers demi-portions of its most popular items including our signature dish "Scallops Sophia."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nathaniel's At The Hawthorne Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (14)romantic (10)fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (7)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Don't bother mailing reservationWkendersDined on 10/31/2014We booked reservation since it was height of Halloween tourist season but shouldn't have bothered. No difference if we just showed up. We still had to wait. Selected buffet and went to make our selection only to comeback and table was cleared. Had to wait for silverware, then no spoon, no water, coffee refill never came.Special Features:
- Never got sat for breakfast.PattywineDined on 10/25/2014We showed up for our reservation and the girl wrote our name on a piece of paper and told us to sit in the waiting room for a table. After about 20 minutes, we told her we had to leave in order to make another activity we had planned for two hours later. We knew if we waited any longer for a table and then again for food, we wouldn't mAke it. It was extremely aggervating to wait for a table we had reserved, just to have to leave. Sorry to say, we never even got to try the food which smelled good, but the dining area looked cramped and it was very humid in that area. Not the place to go if you have any other activities planned for awhile.Special Features:
- Beautiful dinner choice.LasVegasDinerDined on 10/18/2014Beautiful dinner choice. The hotel and lobby have an amazing ambiance. Good food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great mealAja1970Dined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed the Jazz Brunch at Nathaniels. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable! We were not rushed yet also no one hovered either. The Jazz duo played throughout our lunch and it was very relaxing and mellow…a great way to end our stay in Salem.Special Features:
- Very averageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014We came here for brunch. The food was very average with prices sky high for the quality. The dessert was actually bad. I am not usually someone who is particular about food or will write a poor review. The service was pretty good and the Jazz music was beautiful.Special Features:
- Traditional with a capital TILikeSpiceDined on 9/19/2014Nathaniel's is a classic dark paneled room inside a historic hotel. It was nice enough, but the food was nothing to write home about. Rich sauces on well prepared meats. If you like that sort of thing, you'll enjoy this place. The pianist was nicely laid back and came around asking for requests which he played with skill and style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant setting with excellent foodpartyof4Dined on 9/17/2014Nathaniel's is a lovely restaurant that looks like your parent's country club dining room - you rather wealthy parents. Dim lights, comfortable chairs and great service pairs with some very forward thinking food. The signature cocktail of vodka, basil and cucumber was memorable for it's garden freshness.We had a duo watermelon salad that was fresh and complex, pork tenderloin, roasted haddock. Every bite was sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/201465th birthday with girlfriends....had a wonderful time. Accomodations were made for us to sit in the The Tavern for brunch. Excellent choice.Special Features:
- Judy the WaitressSGM79VIPDined on 8/9/2014This is a lovely place to celebrate an anniversary. Judy was a great waitress, and added a lot to the experience. We had the Chowdah (very mild, chocked full of seafood), the wedge and the Caesar (both good size salads, the Caesar has unbelievable anchovies), the shrimp and scallops with bearnaise and herbed risotto and the pot roast, the shrimp was very good and the Demi portion is plenty if you get a salad or soup. The pot roast had an incredible flavor and was suggested by Judy. It was not an expensive dish, so we were impressed with Judy's honesty. We finished with mocha creme brûlée which was fairly light and satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fresh food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Despite the restaurant being nearly empty, the food was fantastic and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet classJohnDined on 8/4/2014Met friends from out of state and this was the perfect place to sit, eat, be served, and talk. The food was delicious, the service was attentive but not bothersome and they let us sit and talk for 3+ hours. Our server had a great sense of humor and she clearly understood what we wanted from the evening. This is a classy placeSpecial Features:
- The following 95 reviews are from the Nathaniel's At The Hawthorne Hotel reviews archive.
- Great JazzReneeDined on 7/20/2014I brought a friend who was visiting from california and it was a perfect Jazz brunch! The menu was just great and the fresh coffee cake was amazing! And, not to be forgotten...the bloody mary was the best I have ever had!Special Features:
- MojoVIPDined on 6/29/2014Nathaniel's has a local reputation for being a frumpy restaurant in an older hotel. In that regard the food exceeded out expectations. The service was less than expected however. We dined on a quiet Sunday night in June. We waited for over 5 minutes at the hostess stand before we were seated. There were two other tables with diners in a restaurant with about a dozen tables. There was no visible waitstaff or hostess in the dining room for that period of time. Our waiter was very nice, however whenever we asked a question about an individual menu item he had to go back to the kitchen to answer our question about it. Very inexperienced and amateur service.
- ClassicEatingOutDined on 6/28/2014Nathaniel's is an older-world European classic restaurant with ornate decor. There are good-sized tables dressed with tablecloths, old-time pictures from a by-gone era on the walls and a piano player performing on weekend nights. The food is excellent and its a relaxing, enjoyable place for an evening meal. The food has always been excellent. There is a tavern across the hotel lobby that is a place for a "younger" after-dinner drink and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RalphVIPDined on 6/22/2014Very nice jazz brunch last Sunday. The jazz was quite good--unobtrusive yet well played and very enjoyable. Food was better than I expected after reading some reviews. Three course prix fixe. Salad was wonderful, one of the best Ceasars I've eaten, and my companions liked theirs too. Main courses were delicious. The dessert course was a little disappointing. It was billed as fresh fruit so I expected fresh local strawberries and got pineapple. All in all we'll look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedbeenthereDined on 6/1/2014My family and I went for Brunch, the place was a lot smaller than expected. Our table was too close to the brunch set up. A bit noisy with a lot of kids running around. Brunch itself was very affordable, but not enough choices. We ended up ordering from the menu. Prices were good, omelets even better. Loved the roasted potatoes. Would not hurry back, but definitely would go back for the food.Special Features:
- BrunchThreeloveliesDined on 4/27/2014Loved the Jazz Brunch at Nathaniel's at Hawthorne...not loud, good service, nice ceasar salad and good waffle. Old -fashioned ambience ...not trying to be sleek, antiseptic and trendy...wonderful friendly atmosphere. Nice experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Winning BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2014Everything about this brunch was perfect... the food, the ambience, the jazz. My dish, the seafood eggs Benedict, was great. My companion was equally pleased with her Mediterranean frittata. And our server, Alicia, couldn't have been sweeter or more attentive. This place is definitely worth a return trip.Special Features:
- Fabulous food in quiet atmosphereLifeLongNewYorkerDined on 4/26/2014Nathaniel's at The Hawthorne Hotel is a delightful change from the fast pace "chain" restaurants...The servers are experienced and eager to please....The food is outstanding and presented beautifully...the ambiance is subdued and quiet, allowing you to have conversation at a normal voice level without feeling as though you need to scream over the noise....this is VERY quiet and was a delightful change that we both thoroughly enjoyed. We are looking forward to going there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect food and settingstascoDined on 3/27/2014My husband and I came here the Putney night and once again lived the food we got and the service!the Hawthorne never disappoints in either spot!the menu seems pricy but for the ambiance you really get to enjoy what you are paying for and the most expensive thing is only like 30so it's not to bad any ways.is always a plus to check them out at restaurant week as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor brunch for such a historic hotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2014All our meals took over an hour to get and we're cold. My English muffin under my pached eggs Benedict was so HARD I couldn't cut it! (Like it had been put in the microwave) drinks were in skinny champagne glasses and expensive! Coffee was cold and served an old-fashioned little teacups. They kept refreshing coffee but it was cold wasn't hot! And we had reservations but yet we couldn't even get in the restaurant they weren't ready to open! Really??
- good foodljlblueVIPDined on 2/28/2014This was our second time here. The food is good, they have apiano man after 6, it's great for the ambience but loud and Hard to hear your table mates. The service is also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent dining choice in SalemAnnaDined on 2/19/2014Wonderful all around. Service was excellent- food was beyond delicious and the portions were grand! We had both dinner and breakfast there and would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post PEM dinner at Nathaniel'sVincenzoDined on 2/2/2014After a lovely day at the Peabody Essex Museum we had a delightful dinner at the Hawthorne Hotel. The ambience was very soothing and relaxing with wonderful piano accompaniment to a great meal of perfectly cooked haddock in a wonderful broth with broccoli-rabe garnish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch in the heart of SalemNoJoDined on 2/2/2014Our group of six enjoyed a delicious brunch at Nathaniel's after visiting the Peabody Essex Museum. The service was excellent and we were not rushed at all. The atmosphere makes it very easy to relax, have a conversation, enjoy brunch.Special Features:
- A nice, quiet placeslgrimesDined on 12/28/2013Nice little place, quiet with great atmosphere - live piano music (and he even comes around to take requests!), excellent service and tasty food. A little pricey, but not incredibly so (dinner for 2 under 60 with drinks). Romantic, comfortable and tasty - i recommend.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerMarolandDined on 11/12/2013My husband and I had a romantic dinner at Nathaniel's a few years ago during a stay in Salem. We decided to return on this trip and we were not disappointed. We started off the evening with a cocktail in The Tavern and then moved to the dining room. We even got the same table we had on the last trip! The ambiance in both places is charming and reminiscent of the way restaurants used to be back in the day. Lots of dark, warm woodwork and indirect lighting. The food was excellent and we both appreciated the option of having a smaller entree portion. The staff was charming and attentive without being obtrusive. We look forward to our next trip to Salem and dinner at Nathaniel's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2013We stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel and ate at Nathaniel's for breakfast and dinner. Outstanding dinner and best breakfast I have had in a long time. Would recommend it.Special Features:
- Lovely BreakfastLCPriceDined on 10/31/2013My husband & I went to the Hawthrone Hotel for our 4 year anniversary/ Halloween breakfast & it was delicious. On the hotels website, it says the resturant attire was "business casual". When we showed up, there were people in hoodies & sweatpants having breakfast. I guess the business casual applies just for dinner maybe? But that was our only confusion. Our breakfast was delicious and I would love to visit again.Special Features:
- High Hopes....Disappointing ResultsGianni104Dined on 10/25/2013When making the reservation, I requested a window or wall table and explained we were celebrating a special birthday. When we arrived, we were told all the window tables were reserved (by people like us?) and we were escorted to the worst table in the house, right in the middle of the room! We were in the restaurant for 1 1/2 hours and the table we requested was given to a party, without a reservation, just as we were leaving! Service was slow; we had to have our server located when we were ready to order. The food was unremarkable. An order of seafood chowder consisted of a bowl of thick fishy-tasting cream without a recognizable piece of seafood in it. A $31.00 order of Shrimp and Scallop Sara arrived with over-grilled seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night with even better food..mikeDined on 10/16/2013The food and service was exceptional. From the chef's complimentary appetizer to the salads and main course, all of the food was delicious. The ginger bread ice cream sandwich was phenomenal. My fiance got the chocolate roulade, and she said it was so rich and extremely delicious. What a great place to celebrate our engagement!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfastTraciDined on 10/14/2013We ate breakfast at Nathaniel's. It was very good, service was great and quick. Would recommend checking it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch in SalemBurnnurseDined on 10/13/2013Brunch for 8 was very good - getting there was problematic but that is always a risk - Salem, MA in Oct (before Halloween) can be VERY busy with witches etc. Even with the traffic the food was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great time at hawthorne hotellibragirlDined on 9/21/2013Wonderful service wattress gave us champagne on the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empty but good foodTravellerDined on 9/19/2013We had a reservation for 7.30pm on a Thursday night in September. We turned up and said we had a reservation, they didn't seem bothered - I guess because there was only one table of two and one table of four in the whole place. Whilst we waited for our main course we watched them change the table places over to breakfast settings and set up the cereals etc. The table of four finished and then there was only four of us in the whole dinning room. They certainly were not attentive and made us feel as if we were in the way of them getting ready for the morning. We ate quickly and left. This was a pity as the decor was lovely and ornate, the food was very well cooked and as we only have small appetites we really appreciated their demi-portions.
- Good food and great serviceJimboVIPDined on 9/13/2013Good food and great service from Judy our server, a great place to eat in Salem. We were late getting in from CT. and had to call twice to postpone our reservation and they were very nice about it. My only comment on a negative is they put apple sauce on top of my pork chop and I can't understand why anyone would do that. The pork chop was cooked perfectly medium rare as I had asked for it and it was incredible! I would eat here again and again, it was just wonderful....Special Features:
- Jazzy Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/18/2013Went to Nathaniel's for the Sunday Jazz Brunch and it was a treat. The food and service were both very good and they have done a terrific job of maintaining the hotels historical status. The great music on top of a good meal in nice surroundings was just icing on the cake. If you get a chance to go to Nathaniel's don't miss it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eggs benedict gone wrong?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2013My bf and I were here for a Sunday Jazz brunch after attending a wedding in Salem the night before. The jazz music was awesome and we loved that aspect of brunch. The service was a bit slow even though there were only about 6 tables, the servers were friendly and nice though. We both ordered the eggs benedict and we were both very disappointed at the quality of it. The eggs were pretty much fully cooked, it was not runny in the least bit. I don't think I've ever had an eggs bene with the eggs fully cooked, kind of embarassing IMO!!! We didn't want to complain or send the food back seeing how slow the service already was. If you go to Nathaniel's and order the eggs bene, just make sure you ask for runny eggs!
- Empty!LovetoeatoutVIPDined on 8/5/2013We took my father out for a special birthday dinner here on a weeknight while vacationing in Salem. We were the only diners in the whole restaurant. The waitress was new and a bit inexperienced. The food was good, but menu options a bit outdated.Special Features:
- Wonderfullao821Dined on 7/20/2013I took my boyfriend there for a special night out and it was absolutely wonderful. We had a romantic time and the food was delicious, I had the surf and turf and he had the baked stuffed shrimp. Very happy with our waitress and the ambiance was splenid, perfect lighting and the piano player was the icing on the cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.