Nara Kansas City
1617 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Nara Kansas City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.narakc.com/
- Phone: 8162216272
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sushi bar open Monday through Thursday 11am to 11pm; Friday & Saturday till midnight; Happy Hour menu available 3pm to 6pm Monday through Saturday; Reverse Happy Hour Monday through Saturday 10pm to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Max Chao
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Come enjoy Kansas City's new urban elegance at The Event Space at Nara. Featuring over 4,000 square feet of stunning exposed brick walls, gleaming hard wood floors and soaring ceilings with a dramatic downtown view as your backdrop. The Event Space at Nara is sure to make any occasion extraordinarily special. Nara can cater from 25 guests to 200.
- Private Party Facilities: We have over 4,000 square feet of open loft event space. Best beautiful view of Kansas City skyline from our 8 - 12 foot windows. Beautiful wooden floors; brick walls; 14 foot ceilings - and the best coordinators to help plan your event. Call us!
- Private Party Contact: Anita Uriarte 8162210362
- Entertainment: Nara offers a variety of entertainment weekly from the experience of dining at the sushi bar watching the finest and most talented sushi chefs in Kansas City to enjoying the different entrees available from our unique and broad menu. We have a DJ Friday evenings beginning at 10pm. Brodioke (unique karaoke) every Monday night at 9pm. Matt Shoaf is live in the house each Wednesday for Ladies Night Out from 6pm to 9pm.
- Special Events: Can seat 180 guests. In house catering and bar packages.
A word from Nara Kansas City
Nara is your favorite Japanese sushi restaurant in Kansas City. We are walking distance from the Sprint Center. Our menu is a variety of sushi, sashimi, seafood, salads, sandwiches, noodles, stir-fry dishes and seasonal desserts. Our fresh sushi and sashimi are prepared by our talented Japanese trained master sushi chefs, Koji and Fumi! Our unique robata menu features chicken, beef, locally made sausages, scallops, shrimp on a stick grilled to perfection. Nara also offers weekly dinner, sushi and wine specials. Call us for To Go orders - Nara prepares beautiful sushi trays to take home for your at home or business parties! ZAGAT rated: America's Best Japanese RestaurantsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Nara Kansas City - Best Restaurants in Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard ›
Nara Kansas City reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (19)hot spot (19)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (15)great for lunch (15)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (14)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (11)late-night find (9)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Great ServiceLWinVIPDined on 10/6/2014Along with having a great happy hour menu with lots of vegan options, Nara has excellent service. Our server, Carrie, went above and beyond to make our dining experience memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is great!BengineerDined on 9/27/2014Our waiter walked us through both the drink and food menu like a pro.Special Features:
- Ladies Night!cgarcia87Dined on 9/24/2014My cousin and I decided to check out Nara for ladies night and we were not disappointed. The prices are great and the drinks are delicious! The jalapeno roll was my favorite and the appetizer sampler was great. The live music was enjoyable and not so loud it was obnoxious. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- I would come back.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The service was great and menu excellent. The tempura fried pickles were scrumptious. The cocktail I ordered (the red geisha) was too sweet and not strong enough. I will have to come again to try some other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at BestDivineDivaDined on 9/6/2014I was totally not impressed at the food at Nara's Restaurant. I ordered the Short Rib Skewers and the Shrimp Tempura Roll, my husband ordered the Hawaiian Teriyaki Trio. The food was bland and very overpriced. After reading the reviews I truly thought I was in for a great dining experience....this was such a disappointment. I will not be going back!
- Food was better last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014I ate here about a year ago and it was fantastic. Decided to eat here again when I was in town and the sushi was not as good this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Even Better ServiceHappyDiningDined on 8/29/2014My boyfriend and I went here on a Friday night and the food was wonderful. Our server Beth did a fantastic job. I'm big on asking our server for recommendations when we go out to eat and everything that Beth recommended to us was amazing. Make sure to try the Jalapeno Popper roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not so good of serviceChelsCShellsDined on 8/27/2014Booked reservation online for my group of 6 - very convenient. Sat promptly, and was able to order a drink. But service was scattered, often having to ask where our waiter was to order more drinks/food/water refils. Food was quality and cheap during ladies night/happy hour. The veggie roll had seaweed salad in it which is great. I'd go back because of the fun location and cheap food, but don't expect great service.Special Features:
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The food was really good. My husband and I have been trying to get out and go here for quite some time... Finally we had some time to go downtown and enjoy the fabulous food. Our server Carrie was amazing as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, rude waitress.ScottStewartDined on 8/12/2014I always love the food at Nara. It is arguably the best sushi in Kansas City. I took a friend who had never been here before but loves sushi. Unfortunately, we had a waitress with an attitude who completely ruined our experience. Having never been there, my dining partner took a couple of extra minutes to decide what she wanted. The first time the waitress came by, we asked for a couple of extra minutes. 15 minutes later, we had to have someone summon her back. When she asked if Tekka Maki rolls (plain tuna) were available, she seemed put off and pointed at the spicy tuna rolls and said "right there". We explained those were not plain tuna rolls, and she said "Oh. You mean TRADITIONAL tuna rolls." The rest of the evening was the same.Special Features:
- .......SuhsiloverDined on 8/8/2014The first time I visited Nara it was wonderful. Had the prettiest view, the environment was very relaxing and they also had a live musician playing which made it even a more enjoyable experience. The noise level was calm and the service/food was great. I decided to take my boyfriend on a romantic date recently and once we got there it was extremely loud, you couldn't hear one another talk. Our seat was a table across from the patio doors, where a horrible street light made it impossible to be able to stand looking at the person across from you. I would call ahead and ask what the environment is like. I guess it always depends on the crowd. I had a great first impression but as for my boyfriend i don't know if I could say the same.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Enjoyed the spicy seafood soba noodles, seaweed salad and cocktails. Had two sushi rolls that were not good (poor quality fish, unpleasant texture, poor presentation). Price is reasonable.Special Features:
- NaraSushiloverDined on 8/2/2014Delicious sushi. Accommodating staff. Great atmoshphere!Special Features:
- date nightKristenDined on 8/1/2014The husband and I went here for dat night on Friday. I am easing him into sushi and NARA had plenty of options. Sushi was fresh and tasty. Server suggested several good rolls (all spicy!) and we did pick one that he had suggested and it was delicious. Pretty view of downtown KC.Special Features:
- MarketGuruDined on 7/24/2014Took friends who are great Asian food lovers and they were suitably impressed. Great food for the value.Special Features:
- Fresh and chilledthepicky3VIPDined on 7/21/2014This was a real treat to have sushi I the Midwest. My son and I had the calmari, California roll, rainbow roll, and another mixed plate oh and the fried ice cream we were not disappointed. I recommend this for beginners of sushi and the well seasoned. Just enjoy ! I'll stack up Nara with any west coast restaurant .... Wonderful !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Well we went there because of the Kansas City mag review. The service was very good the food was good not great. Ambience is ok if you are a 20 or 30 something the rest of us not so much. The sashimi was ok Maguro not the dark red it is supposed to be and the were out of yellow tail. The rolls were good not great and the edemame was cold and not cooked enough. Then we get to the Poke.....I can get better poke at the Napili mkt a grocery store in Napili Hi. Please rethink how you make Poke.Special Features:
- Excellent sushiTeresaDined on 7/12/2014Excellent food and excellent sushi. Room is a little cramped so we could hear the next tables conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!ChadVIPDined on 7/4/2014Went on the 4th and it was fantastic! Creative and innovative sushi creations, along with a few other selections from outside of Japan. Carrie, our server, was fantastic - engaging, attentive and charming. I'd recommend Nara for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nara experienceHadagreattimeVIPDined on 7/4/2014We really wanted to sit outside on a beautiful evening, and it was too busy on the patio for us to be able to. However, everything else was very nice. This was our first time at this restaurant and we found it surprisingly vegetarian-friendly, all the way down to sushi-style rolls that were delicious. The Geisha Girl drink was quite fun and tasty (both of them). The ramen signature dish is definitely worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ReliableNorthernerDined on 6/26/2014I have never been disappointed at Nara. The food is reliably good, nicely presented. The menu is varied enough so that you can have a very hearty, or lighter meal. The service has always been attentive and friendly. The make your own Bento Box at lunch is particularly good if you'd like variety and a chance to sample the rolls and entrees.Special Features:
- cool scene, great foodAaronDDined on 6/25/2014Everything was wonderful! Especially compared to our normal sushi joint, which we already love so much. This was just better. The cuts were better the overall flavors weren't as strong. Everything tasted mellow yet complex. We had a Vegas Roll, Nara Roll, Himachi Nigiri and the Appetizer Sampler. All really wonderful!Special Features:
- Not the best sushiLuckyInKentuckyDined on 6/25/2014I visited Kansas City for work. I wanted to try a sushi restaurant native to the city, not just a chain. I headed to Nara with two colleagues. I ordered the lettuce wraps as an appetizer and a rainbow roll. They were both okay. Nothing spectacular. Our waitress was inattentive, so it took awhile to get refills and our checks. My colleagues reported their food was fair. I would recommend trying another place.
- The following 462 reviews are from the Nara Kansas City reviews archive.
- one of the best in KC!slimbach8Dined on 6/13/2014This is one of my favorite sushi places in Kansas City. Love the atmosphere and how great their food is! I recommend Nara to people all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED our dinner here!LoLoDined on 6/9/2014This was my first time at Nara and WE LOVED IT! Large and flavorful sushi and fantastic service. Bathroom was very clean. I will likely become a regular.Special Features:
- our waiter was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Our waiter, Damen, gave us great suggestions and descriptions of the food. He was on top of everything. Really enjoyed the restaurant. Definitely not just sushi that's offeredSpecial Features:
- NaraFiskDined on 5/29/2014I really loved the entire feel of this restaurant. It felt like going over to a friend's home for dinner: intimate and fun. The wait staff were very attentive and accommodated specific requests. The food was fresh, visually appealing to eat and very good. And, a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and LoudRestaurantloverDined on 5/28/2014When we went there was live music and he wasn't bad. soft, mellow song choices. The food was good, as always, and the server was a lot of fun and joked around with my boyfriend and I. Overall good evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!nomnomnomVIPDined on 5/17/2014Nara had great food and cocktails in an up-and-coming part of town. I really enjoyed the sushi and crab rangoon. The service was also great.Special Features:
- It doesn't get much better...60202foodieVIPDined on 5/15/2014When it comes to sushi, Kansas City does not jump to top of mind, but considering Nara, maybe it should. As far as fresh and flavorful goes, Nara's sushi is just that. The service was good, hospitable and timely. When you tire of barbeque in KC, head over to Nara. It doesn't get much better...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and Inviting yet SpecialAtrophy08Dined on 5/15/2014The food runner was a charm and very courteous and complimentary. The food was quick and our waitress knew what order and how to split everything without asking. Manager stopped by and we had only good to say. The price isn't that bad, an app, two sides, and two rolls of sushi and we were just over $30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi meets American PubALarsonDined on 5/2/2014The restaurant was very crowded, there was not enough room for the servers and/or guests to walk about without bumping into the other guest's chairs. I found the food very pricey for the amount and quality of food served. If you are looking for a urban crowded bar that serves overpriced Japanese food this is the restaurant for you. Not impressed and I would not return.Special Features:
- Victory!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014My husband goes to the same three restaurants, he never wants to chance a bad experience. After 25 years of this, I very seldom plan anything, something is always wrong with my choice. I boldly planned Nara because we had an event downtown, he loved it, has recommended it to others and dare I say, we now have 4 restaurants we can go to! Easy to find, parking right next to building. Creative, filling entrees. Sorry, we didn't try the sushi, but the people at the next table had amazing looking dishes served to them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!JimfromKCDined on 4/4/2014My wife and I went to Nara for dinner before a symphony concert. We were in an early crowd--5:00 p.m.--and were among the younger people at that time [we're 60], but we had a great time! We sat at the sushi bar and watched the craftsmen making the sushi. We also struck up a conversation with a young couple seated next to us. That was fun! The sushi offerings were quite good. We tried several "favorites" that we enjoy at other sushi locations, plus a few that we were unfamiliar with. We did ask our server for a sashimi suggestion, and it was not very interesting, but certainly not bad! We definitely would go back there. oh--it turned out that when we were there, it was happy hour, so we were able to eat and drink very economically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekly FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/26/2014I dine here weekly and have always had a WONDERFUL time. Food, service, ambiance are amazing! Favorite place to recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time at ladiesKatieCDined on 3/26/2014Had a great time at ladies night! Food and specials were fantastic, but our services was somewhat poor. She challenged us telling us we did not order an appetizer, I'm pretty sure we would remember that....Other than that, definitely make a reservation for ladies night. Would go back and hope for a different server.Special Features:
- Friendly, chic, and delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014I took a group of 6 Japanese foreign exchange students to Nara for lunch. We made a reservation, and our table was set with water even earlier than when we arrived. The food was superb. The atmosphere was wonderous (check out those bathrooms)! The staff was helpful and friendly. Finally, I was impressed by the price. My partner and I got two bento boxes and split a specialty roll for $33. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Cool spot for friendskassonmoDined on 3/22/2014Went to NARA kind of late after a concert. Great late night happy hour. If you like fried pickles- theirs are THE BEST! Our waitress was great and very friendly.Special Features:
- Sushimi Lettuce Wraps WineRomanticVIPDined on 3/10/2014Monday Night half price wine night enabled us to try a new fine wine at a great price. Lettuce wraps were dellicious and we ordered sushimi as we went along.. Earning points as a Kansas City Original was an added benefit. Quiet enjoyable conversation spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious sushiusafunVIPDined on 3/7/2014Who knew vodka and ginger beer could be so good. Try the Junebug - very refreshing drink. Nara roll and crossroads also great choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.