1001 Second Street
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.napkinsnapa.com/
- Phone: (707) 927-5333
- Hours of Operation:
Sa-Su 11:00am-2:00pm Brunch
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Erasto Jacinto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Catering: Napkins Bar + Grill offers full range of catering and offsite services. We tailor our catering menu to fit the needs of all types of customers. Corporate, private, and special events.
- Entertainment: Napkins Bar + Grill offers a diverse variety of live entertainment. DJ, Solo Instrumental, Full Band
A word from Napkins
Napkins Bar + Grill, situated in the heart of downtown Napa offers a straightforward yet sophisticated menu of American cuisine with a global influence. Seasonally inspired, and locally sourced menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Napkins - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
Napkins reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (12)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (11)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (7)notable wine list (7)special occasion (4)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Consistency!JaniceKVIPDined on 11/4/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Napa Valley. The food and service is consistently excellent. The owner is on site and makes sure everything goes smoothly.Special Features:
- Awful ManagmentFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 11/1/2014I arrived for my reservation right on time and was told it would only be a minute and my table would be ready. I went ahead with my party at the bar and ordered a drink. I was sitting so close to the front door I could hear all the customers coming in with reservations after mine and being seated before me. At least two parties....after about 15 minutes we were told our table was almost ready and I said never mind we would eat elsewhere. I've made many open table reservations with other restaurants and have never had to wait and been passed over for other customers ignoring the fact that I had a reservation. I would be dining her or attempting to again.
- Good food and serviceAlexVIPDined on 10/21/2014Went for the first time Oct. 21. The World Series was on and the bar was packed, but our table was ready. Milaga (sp?) was our server and she was fabulous. Beef meatballs were very good. Pork chop was very good. We took our own wine and found there was no corkage fee. We'll be back!!Special Features:
- Don't waste your time or moneyPechimouseDined on 10/4/2014Had reservations for 6 at 5:30 on a Saturday night. It took the wait staff 20 minutes after being seated to take our drink order and another 10 after that to find 6 menus to give us. Once we all had menus, we realized half of us had the brunch menu...argh! After we placed our drinks order, it took the bartender 15 minutes to discover that the wine we ordered was located "upstairs"? and needed to be chilled... There seemed to be plenty of staff wandering around but no one seemed to be in charge and it appeared very few know what they were doing. Grilled artichoke appetizer had no flavor and was dripping with water. The Ono in my fish tostada was overcooked and the peach cobbler had no flavor.Special Features:
- Napkins just needs managementAprc8finefoodVIPDined on 10/3/2014We had a great experience at the bar, but once we were seated, our waiter pretty much disappeared. It took an hour after we finished the appetizer. We ordered several items , such as iced tea and it was "being brewed". It did not arrive until we had almost completed the meal. We did enjoy the rib special, as well as the meatball and queso appetizers. I am hoping this was a fluke rather than a normal occurrence. Perhaps some management of staff assigned tables would be beneficial. The only truly attentive staff was the water boy and he was the only one with a positive attitude despite being obviously understaffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GingerBakerDined on 9/18/2014Great food presentation and wonderful tastes. Outside seating is a nice option.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating After "The Napa Earthquake"MsGinnykinsVIPDined on 9/16/2014We'd eaten here just 2 days before the earthquake & had loved the food & wine. Was SO thrilled they re-opened after 2 weeks post EQ! Again loved their Vegetable Wellington with a Caesar Salad & a glass of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy for elderly parentsBeckyBestDined on 9/12/201450 characters won't be enough to say how great the service was. Becky is the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClosedEllenDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant was red tagged due to the earthquake though no one bothered to note this on the website or turn off their Open Table Reservations.
- Surprisingly Just RightSantaRosaDinerDined on 8/16/2014Our visit got off to a rough start. We waited to be seated though there were many open tables. When we were finally given a table, no menus were left and we were sort of forgotten. But after catching someone's attention and making our plight known, we got great service. Food was excellent. My companion had a salmon tostada and I had the shrimp linguine. Our cocktails were generous and well-made. Our reservations were for 6pm and maybe we caught them at a shift change. Napkins is located on a busy downtown corner but had outdoor seating. By the time we left, the bar and restaurant areas were both lively and very busy. I would definitely visit Napkins again.Special Features:
- Very nice eveningAnneVIPDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Napkins. The ambiance is a bit stark with a stainless steel and glass feel to it, but the chairs are comfortable and the food was very good.Special Features:
- Good food, spotty serviceCareBear12345Dined on 8/14/2014Considering that this restaurant is fairly new the menu and service are pretty good, the prices are fair, however the restaurant feels like it is trying to figure out what it wants to be. Is it a bar that happens to be a restaurant? Is it a restaurant that happens to have a large bar? Our food was very tasty and the portions were huge. I felt like this was a pretty good bargain restaurant, especially for wine country. Our server was either incredibly attentive or completely missing which is why I gave the service a three star rating. In short: Good food, nice wine list, solid price, great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Surprise!LaverneDined on 8/10/2014We decided to check this place out. The food was better than we were expecting. The cornbread was delicious. We also had the meatballs which were very good. I had the chicken sandwich and my b/f had the three cheese & chorizo omelet. All was very good. We also has a warm (fresh baked) cookie sundae, it was also very good. The staff was very attentive, but we were pretty much the only ones there. I would go back to this place.Special Features:
- Dinner and a concerMozdzierz72Dined on 8/1/2014We sat outside while there was an open air concert across the street. So we were close enough to hear but far enough away to have a conversation. The food was amazing. I had veggie Wellington and it was filling and a great combination of flavors, and I'm not a vegetarian. All the food was flavorful and delicious. I'd go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 34 reviews are from the Napkins reviews archive.
- Best waiter ever!LivestolaughDined on 7/1/2014Seriously, our waiter, Eric, made our dining experience fantastic. Not only was he personable, attentive, and knowledgeable, he had a great sense of humor. His recommendations of spicy chicken wings, Mary's organic chicken, and Caeser salad were right on target. The only disappointment was the mushroom soup. However, that was soon forgotten with the fabulous vanilla bean ice cream we had for dessert. You can't go wrong here when visiting beautiful Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night bite was perfectHutlzeVIPDined on 6/30/2014Got to Napa late (9:15) and were starving! Hotel recommended Napkins as one of few options for something light and still open. Sat outside, fun menu (I had artichoke app as my dinner) and hubby raved over spicy chicken sandwich. Will visit again on our next trip to Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed sitting outside in the patio, people watching with a cold beer and lovely glass of wine. Fun time....Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceBarbDined on 6/15/2014We recently dined here on a Sunday evening. My husband and I both ordered the fish tostada. The fish of the day was Mahi Mahi. Very good. Wonderful sauce with a shredded cabbage topping. We brought are own bottle of wine. No corkage Sunday through Thursday. And only $5.00 for corkage on Friday and Saturday of which goes to charity. The bar is surrounded by old Napa pictures. Very nostalgic. Our waiter was very attentive and nice. We will be back. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service not so muchsjmarloweDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I were excited to try this place out but had read bad reviews on service, so we waited a little while to let them "work the bugs out" so to speak. The food at Napkins was actually pretty tasty...once the waiter remembered to put the order in after we'd been waiting for an hour. He did bring out a surprise comp desert for forgetting us, but didn't bother to ask our group of 6 if anyone actually wanted to look at a desert menu before bringing the check. Clearly some bugs still to work out in the service department, but a promising restaurant if they can do so. Great service is half the appeal of going out though.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/25/2014We were not happy with our dining experience at all. The waitress was quite slow and forgot about us a few times. The manager came over to ask if we wanted the heat lamps on and then never came back to turn them on. While the food was ok, there are certainly better options in the area.
- Good Food!MarcoPoloDined on 5/24/2014While I thought a few dishes were a bit pricey - a cheeseburger & fries for $20!! - the food was very good. I had the skirt steak, which came with potatoes (really good) and asparagus ($25) & my daughter had the chicken sandwich ... both quite tasty. The clincher, though, was the choclate chip cookie served in a mini-cast iron pan with a scoop of vanilla ice cream ... yes, as amazing as it sounds. Will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient Downtown CornerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/23/2014I wish Napkins was better. The service was fair, the food was fair (a bit pricey for a tostada). It's kind of dark and bright at the same time. I think it will be a good sports bar - a bit of a step up from Downtown Joe's across the street.
- This was a disappointment.JimNapaDined on 5/17/2014I was disappointed with our first visit. Many of my friends told me they went early so I discounted it but things haven't change. The servers have too many tables. As a result service is slow. Food is a bit better than average but we'll below expectations. Both our table and the one next to us wobbled. Seemed to be a big deal to get this fixed. I don't think I will be back.
- Great ServicevdoggDined on 5/16/2014I had the Apple Glazed Pork chop, it was juicy the sauce was not too sweet with a tang. My friend had the Cesar sald that she enjoyed. The watermelon beer did not taste like watermelon, it had a slice of watermelon on the glass. Service was excellent, overall A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsmae53Dined on 5/9/2014Wonderfully creative menu, visually stunning food that does not disappoint. Although staff were super friendly, the service still needs a little improvement and I think they could turn the music down to decrease noise level. We brought wine and the $5 corkage was being donated by Napkins to a local charity. How cool is that? I will return again and again to support Napkins to try more items on the menu!! Yum.....Special Features:
- diluDined on 5/1/2014We had excellant service and the food was wonderful. Corn bread appetizer and macroni and cheese were wonderful. I had the skirt steak that was delicious. The help is very personalble and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.MelsgarDined on 4/26/2014I had read online that the service was slow...and it was. Our table wasn't available when we arrived for our reservation. The waitress was wonderful but we waited for everything; a menu, our drinks, our appetizer, our entrees, our dessert, our bill. The water server was came around regularly, which was nice.Special Features:
- Great new restaurant!FooddeevineDined on 4/26/2014Excellent food, very loud, but definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working out the bugsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014We did not have a pleasant experience at this restaurant although both the wait staff and management staff did a good job of communicating to us because we waited over an hour for our food after ordering. Apparently the restaurant had a new chef who was also training a new sous chef on a very busy Saturday evening. The restaurant was also very noisy due to a bachelorette party or something going on. The restaurant did end up taking our two dinner entrees off the bill, but it was still disappointing, as it was my son's birthday and we were really looking forward to a nice experience. The dinner menu was also very limited. The skirt steak item my husband ordered was very good. I'd have to think hard before giving this place another try.
- sandsDined on 4/20/2014Overall, the food and service was good. Nothing stood out as outstanding. Also, no surprises.Special Features:
- Napa tripDavid54dcDined on 4/19/2014Food was very good and well presented Change of server during our visit resulted in less service maybe trying too hard to minimize staff expense when not all tables were in use. They recognized this and waived corkage fee for our wine. Worth another visit for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic option in NapaNapaVisitorDined on 4/19/2014I am so thrilled to finally get another option for a good dinner in Napa! The prices are reasonable, great ambiance and decor, service is excellent. This restaurant is perfect for locals, as well as visitors to Napa. I live here and get tired of only Italian options and very high prices. This is a wonderful alternative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favouriteTridddDined on 4/18/2014I didn't want to go because of the dumb name and negative word of mouth. I've been three times in two weeks. Every time was delicious and awesome service. Will definitely keep going. Very happy with this new restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great!pugloverVIPDined on 4/15/2014I am a local and this was the first time at this restaurant and will definitely be going back!! Fantastic food and service. The server was really knowledgable about the menu and all of his recommendations were fantastic. We took our 3 year old with us and they could not have been better with her. The wine list is great and so was the cocktail list! Go visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Napkins but no TableclothsNapamelVIPDined on 4/12/2014As locals we were not quite sure what to expect since it is rather new. Although it was crowned they seated us in about 5 minutes. The first thing that I notice was that there was no Tablecloths. This set the tone for the dinner for a nice casual dinner. Almost everyone had something different. The macaroni and chess came in its own small cast iron pot, the vegetarian wellington was very creative, my fish tostadas was a very nice portion, the 3 bison sliders and the steaks were also good. Napkins Bar & Grill is run by the people who have the Tarla Grill on 1st and are creating their own niche. We found that for the money it was well worth the visit.Special Features:
- hmmmmm- we wanted to like it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014We were seated at a very small booth - arms distance from a long table of about 25 thirty year olds - enjoying themselves - so we could barely hear each other talk. The service was quite good (albeit the waiter forgot something). The French fries were NOT what other reviewers raved about. And - like most places in the valley - it was a bit pricey. It is nice that there's a place to eat late at night. Not so sure we'll go again.Special Features:
- CookFamCookFamDined on 4/12/2014Love this restaurant, since the opening they have really improved with service and timeliness. Have been three times and wonderful meal every time. Does not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Great service, Delicious food and fantastic location.Special Features:
- Poor Service and AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014Food is Okay, service is poor, management is poor. We were seated promptly for our 8pm reservation. Ambience is bright and strange--like an airport restaurant. Our server was nice, but told us she had not tried any of the dishes we had asked about. Nor did she know the wine list at all. We had some appetizers and then dinner, which were both okay. Halfway through our dinner, the servers and busboys cleared ALL of the tables and chairs around us. And then a DJ set up next to us. The manager then offered to buy us a dessert and told us we were eating on what is now the dance floor. It made for a very rushed and strange, but comical dinner. I've worked in many restaurants, and have never seen such poor customer service.Special Features:
- Not getting a third chance.mdcheapVIPDined on 4/5/2014This is the 2nd time my husband and I have been to Napkins in Napa, and what an unmitigated disaster this was! We were seated on time, ordered a round of drinks and waited....and waited....and waited. Finally, we did get our drink order and our dinner order was taken for a salad and 2 entrees. The salad came and went and we waited...and waited...and waited. Our server, when questioned what was happening, apologized profusely, but we still didn't get our entrees. We DID ask to speak to a manger, who never showed up. An hour and fifteen minutes after we were seated, and still no dinner, we left. We have NEVER walked out of a restaurant before...EVER! We did not pay, we just left. I don't think we'll return to Napkins.