1001 Second Street
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.napkinsnapa.com/
- Phone: 7079275333
- Hours of Operation:
Sa-Su 11:00am-2:00pm Brunch
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Erasto Jacinto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Catering: Napkins Bar + Grill offers full range of catering and offsite services. We tailor our catering menu to fit the needs of all types of customers. Corporate, private, and special events.
- Entertainment: Napkins Bar + Grill offers a diverse variety of live entertainment. DJ, Solo Instrumental, Full Band
A word from Napkins
Napkins Bar + Grill, situated in the heart of downtown Napa offers a straightforward yet sophisticated menu of American cuisine with a global influence. Seasonally inspired, and locally sourced menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Napkins reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (17)fit for foodies (15)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (11)hot spot (9)good for groups (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)special occasion (6)scenic view (5)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Surprisingly Just RightSantaRosaDinerDined on 8/16/2014Our visit got off to a rough start. We waited to be seated though there were many open tables. When we were finally given a table, no menus were left and we were sort of forgotten. But after catching someone's attention and making our plight known, we got great service. Food was excellent. My companion had a salmon tostada and I had the shrimp linguine. Our cocktails were generous and well-made. Our reservations were for 6pm and maybe we caught them at a shift change. Napkins is located on a busy downtown corner but had outdoor seating. By the time we left, the bar and restaurant areas were both lively and very busy. I would definitely visit Napkins again.Special Features:
- Good food, spotty serviceCareBear12345Dined on 8/14/2014Considering that this restaurant is fairly new the menu and service are pretty good, the prices are fair, however the restaurant feels like it is trying to figure out what it wants to be. Is it a bar that happens to be a restaurant? Is it a restaurant that happens to have a large bar? Our food was very tasty and the portions were huge. I felt like this was a pretty good bargain restaurant, especially for wine country. Our server was either incredibly attentive or completely missing which is why I gave the service a three star rating. In short: Good food, nice wine list, solid price, great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Surprise!LaverneDined on 8/10/2014We decided to check this place out. The food was better than we were expecting. The cornbread was delicious. We also had the meatballs which were very good. I had the chicken sandwich and my b/f had the three cheese & chorizo omelet. All was very good. We also has a warm (fresh baked) cookie sundae, it was also very good. The staff was very attentive, but we were pretty much the only ones there. I would go back to this place.Special Features:
- Dinner and a concerMozdzierz72Dined on 8/1/2014We sat outside while there was an open air concert across the street. So we were close enough to hear but far enough away to have a conversation. The food was amazing. I had veggie Wellington and it was filling and a great combination of flavors, and I'm not a vegetarian. All the food was flavorful and delicious. I'd go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best waiter ever!LivestolaughDined on 7/1/2014Seriously, our waiter, Eric, made our dining experience fantastic. Not only was he personable, attentive, and knowledgeable, he had a great sense of humor. His recommendations of spicy chicken wings, Mary's organic chicken, and Caeser salad were right on target. The only disappointment was the mushroom soup. However, that was soon forgotten with the fabulous vanilla bean ice cream we had for dessert. You can't go wrong here when visiting beautiful Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night bite was perfectHutlzeVIPDined on 6/30/2014Got to Napa late (9:15) and were starving! Hotel recommended Napkins as one of few options for something light and still open. Sat outside, fun menu (I had artichoke app as my dinner) and hubby raved over spicy chicken sandwich. Will visit again on our next trip to Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed sitting outside in the patio, people watching with a cold beer and lovely glass of wine. Fun time....Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceBarbDined on 6/15/2014We recently dined here on a Sunday evening. My husband and I both ordered the fish tostada. The fish of the day was Mahi Mahi. Very good. Wonderful sauce with a shredded cabbage topping. We brought are own bottle of wine. No corkage Sunday through Thursday. And only $5.00 for corkage on Friday and Saturday of which goes to charity. The bar is surrounded by old Napa pictures. Very nostalgic. Our waiter was very attentive and nice. We will be back. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service not so muchsjmarloweDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I were excited to try this place out but had read bad reviews on service, so we waited a little while to let them "work the bugs out" so to speak. The food at Napkins was actually pretty tasty...once the waiter remembered to put the order in after we'd been waiting for an hour. He did bring out a surprise comp desert for forgetting us, but didn't bother to ask our group of 6 if anyone actually wanted to look at a desert menu before bringing the check. Clearly some bugs still to work out in the service department, but a promising restaurant if they can do so. Great service is half the appeal of going out though.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/25/2014We were not happy with our dining experience at all. The waitress was quite slow and forgot about us a few times. The manager came over to ask if we wanted the heat lamps on and then never came back to turn them on. While the food was ok, there are certainly better options in the area.
- Good Food!MarcoPoloDined on 5/24/2014While I thought a few dishes were a bit pricey - a cheeseburger & fries for $20!! - the food was very good. I had the skirt steak, which came with potatoes (really good) and asparagus ($25) & my daughter had the chicken sandwich ... both quite tasty. The clincher, though, was the choclate chip cookie served in a mini-cast iron pan with a scoop of vanilla ice cream ... yes, as amazing as it sounds. Will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient Downtown CornerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/23/2014I wish Napkins was better. The service was fair, the food was fair (a bit pricey for a tostada). It's kind of dark and bright at the same time. I think it will be a good sports bar - a bit of a step up from Downtown Joe's across the street.
- This was a disappointment.JimNapaDined on 5/17/2014I was disappointed with our first visit. Many of my friends told me they went early so I discounted it but things haven't change. The servers have too many tables. As a result service is slow. Food is a bit better than average but we'll below expectations. Both our table and the one next to us wobbled. Seemed to be a big deal to get this fixed. I don't think I will be back.
- Great ServicevdoggDined on 5/16/2014I had the Apple Glazed Pork chop, it was juicy the sauce was not too sweet with a tang. My friend had the Cesar sald that she enjoyed. The watermelon beer did not taste like watermelon, it had a slice of watermelon on the glass. Service was excellent, overall A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsmae53Dined on 5/9/2014Wonderfully creative menu, visually stunning food that does not disappoint. Although staff were super friendly, the service still needs a little improvement and I think they could turn the music down to decrease noise level. We brought wine and the $5 corkage was being donated by Napkins to a local charity. How cool is that? I will return again and again to support Napkins to try more items on the menu!! Yum.....Special Features:
- diluDined on 5/1/2014We had excellant service and the food was wonderful. Corn bread appetizer and macroni and cheese were wonderful. I had the skirt steak that was delicious. The help is very personalble and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.MelsgarDined on 4/26/2014I had read online that the service was slow...and it was. Our table wasn't available when we arrived for our reservation. The waitress was wonderful but we waited for everything; a menu, our drinks, our appetizer, our entrees, our dessert, our bill. The water server was came around regularly, which was nice.Special Features:
- Great new restaurant!FooddeevineDined on 4/26/2014Excellent food, very loud, but definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working out the bugsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014We did not have a pleasant experience at this restaurant although both the wait staff and management staff did a good job of communicating to us because we waited over an hour for our food after ordering. Apparently the restaurant had a new chef who was also training a new sous chef on a very busy Saturday evening. The restaurant was also very noisy due to a bachelorette party or something going on. The restaurant did end up taking our two dinner entrees off the bill, but it was still disappointing, as it was my son's birthday and we were really looking forward to a nice experience. The dinner menu was also very limited. The skirt steak item my husband ordered was very good. I'd have to think hard before giving this place another try.
- The following 19 reviews are from the Napkins reviews archive.
- sandsDined on 4/20/2014Overall, the food and service was good. Nothing stood out as outstanding. Also, no surprises.Special Features:
- Napa tripDavid54dcDined on 4/19/2014Food was very good and well presented Change of server during our visit resulted in less service maybe trying too hard to minimize staff expense when not all tables were in use. They recognized this and waived corkage fee for our wine. Worth another visit for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic option in NapaNapaVisitorDined on 4/19/2014I am so thrilled to finally get another option for a good dinner in Napa! The prices are reasonable, great ambiance and decor, service is excellent. This restaurant is perfect for locals, as well as visitors to Napa. I live here and get tired of only Italian options and very high prices. This is a wonderful alternative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favouriteTridddDined on 4/18/2014I didn't want to go because of the dumb name and negative word of mouth. I've been three times in two weeks. Every time was delicious and awesome service. Will definitely keep going. Very happy with this new restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great!pugloverVIPDined on 4/15/2014I am a local and this was the first time at this restaurant and will definitely be going back!! Fantastic food and service. The server was really knowledgable about the menu and all of his recommendations were fantastic. We took our 3 year old with us and they could not have been better with her. The wine list is great and so was the cocktail list! Go visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Napkins but no TableclothsNapamelVIPDined on 4/12/2014As locals we were not quite sure what to expect since it is rather new. Although it was crowned they seated us in about 5 minutes. The first thing that I notice was that there was no Tablecloths. This set the tone for the dinner for a nice casual dinner. Almost everyone had something different. The macaroni and chess came in its own small cast iron pot, the vegetarian wellington was very creative, my fish tostadas was a very nice portion, the 3 bison sliders and the steaks were also good. Napkins Bar & Grill is run by the people who have the Tarla Grill on 1st and are creating their own niche. We found that for the money it was well worth the visit.Special Features:
- hmmmmm- we wanted to like it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014We were seated at a very small booth - arms distance from a long table of about 25 thirty year olds - enjoying themselves - so we could barely hear each other talk. The service was quite good (albeit the waiter forgot something). The French fries were NOT what other reviewers raved about. And - like most places in the valley - it was a bit pricey. It is nice that there's a place to eat late at night. Not so sure we'll go again.Special Features:
- CookFamCookFamDined on 4/12/2014Love this restaurant, since the opening they have really improved with service and timeliness. Have been three times and wonderful meal every time. Does not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Great service, Delicious food and fantastic location.Special Features:
- Poor Service and AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014Food is Okay, service is poor, management is poor. We were seated promptly for our 8pm reservation. Ambience is bright and strange--like an airport restaurant. Our server was nice, but told us she had not tried any of the dishes we had asked about. Nor did she know the wine list at all. We had some appetizers and then dinner, which were both okay. Halfway through our dinner, the servers and busboys cleared ALL of the tables and chairs around us. And then a DJ set up next to us. The manager then offered to buy us a dessert and told us we were eating on what is now the dance floor. It made for a very rushed and strange, but comical dinner. I've worked in many restaurants, and have never seen such poor customer service.Special Features:
- Not getting a third chance.mdcheapVIPDined on 4/5/2014This is the 2nd time my husband and I have been to Napkins in Napa, and what an unmitigated disaster this was! We were seated on time, ordered a round of drinks and waited....and waited....and waited. Finally, we did get our drink order and our dinner order was taken for a salad and 2 entrees. The salad came and went and we waited...and waited...and waited. Our server, when questioned what was happening, apologized profusely, but we still didn't get our entrees. We DID ask to speak to a manger, who never showed up. An hour and fifteen minutes after we were seated, and still no dinner, we left. We have NEVER walked out of a restaurant before...EVER! We did not pay, we just left. I don't think we'll return to Napkins.
- Saturday night dinningeatinoutDined on 4/5/2014We were seated immediately (which doesn't always happen even with reservations) and our service was truely outstanding. Our waitress was familiar with the menu, answering our questions, and with a friendly manner.That kind of service is, sadly, not always given in Napa, so I was very pleased. When I dine I like to eat food I don't usually buy, such as lamb, or shrimp dishes, so the menu was rather limited for my tasts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hate the nameJulieGDined on 4/3/2014A lot of thought and creativity went into the decor. More should have been spent on the food. Too many better food places out there to bother eating at napkins. Dumb name!!!!! Service was greatSpecial Features:
- Locals Second Visit to NapkinsNapanVIPDined on 3/31/2014Our first visit to Napkins was disappointing; our second visit was better. Unfortunately, with so many outstanding restaurants to choose from in Napa, I doubt locals will make Napkins a regular stop. The menu is limited and presntation is uninspiring. I did enjoy the Spanish Caesar Salad. I recommend Napkins for a burger & fries or a chicken sandwich but for more aluring fare, try Celedon, Fish Story, Angele, Napa Valley Bistro or Torc.
- Great Food, Rough Going for StaffNicolette216Dined on 3/29/2014The food at Napkins always impresses... once they get it right. I have eaten at Napkins 3 times now, two of which we had reservations. Both times we waited long after our reservation time, both times we had a larger group of 6 or more. The staff was very accomodating with complimentary appetizers and drinks because we had to wait over an hour past our reservation before we were seated. Unfortunately for the owner, the lack of staff or communication, what ever it may be, causes this viscous cycle of delayed service resulting in comps. The food is fantastic- I have had something new each time I have gone and once it gets to us, it is always good. If you are in a rush or starving, go else where, if not great food!Special Features:
- NapkinsLindsayDined on 3/29/2014The only complaint I have is our reservation was for 7pm and we didn't get sat until almost 8. I've worked in the food industry and that is unacceptable by any standards.Special Features:
- Eclectic SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014I went to dinner with my teenage daughter and college aged son. One of us had the steak and loved it! One of us had the chicken sandwich and loved it! One of us had the Vegetable Wellington and loved it! We had the special soup which had steak and spinach and was delicious and the Caesar salad was also a hit! We weren't sure we wanted dessert but enjoyed the deep dish cookie with 3 spoons and it was worth every calorie! We were pleasantly surprised by the menu which offered an eclectic selection from hamburger to sautéed kale. We enjoyed our time, enjoyed the service in this bustling restaurant and will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks, Mediocre FoodFirstTimerVIPDined on 3/29/2014My husband and I being local "Napkins" ourselves decided to give this new place a try. We love Tarla, which is by the same owners, so we were excited to try to food here. I have to say we were quite disappointed. The things we tried were just ok, and tended to be a little on the greasy side. The service however was excellent as were the drinks we had. The decor is nice, but geared more to a bar type atmosphere. We would probably come back, but only for cocktails and bar food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Napa's version of cheersJuliaVIPDined on 3/28/2014Where everyone knows your name. Great food and service. Keep the free corkage..it's a plus.Special Features: