NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio
312 Pearl Parkway
Bldg 2 Suite 2102
San Antonio, TX 78215Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://naorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2105546484x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Closed
Late Night: Friday & Saturday 10:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, South American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Geronimo Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio
NAO restaurant is dedicated to the exploration, preservation, and celebration of the authentic cuisines, cultures, and bounty of Latin America. Unique flavors, inspired by iconic ingredients and indigenous preparations, are presented in a contemporary style. Distinctive and exciting cocktails and beverages compliment the cuisine. And an extensive wine list rounds out the experience in this modern and dramatic setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)special occasion (40)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (21)good for groups (18)hot spot (17)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The food was really flavorful and the plating was beautiful. The customer service was outstanding and they very accommodating. I enjoyed the overall experience and it was a great place to celebrate a Birthday or any other special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Food was excellent and pleasing to both the palette and the eye. However the service was really, really lacking. Like, I've had more attentive service at a McDonald's. I realize they are students at Nao, but it was quite ridiculous. My friend asked for ice tea at beginning, server came back to the table like 3 times and never brought it to her. When we asked about items on the menu, he replied "yeah um, I really don't know". We asked about desserts and literally he said, "well we have one that's like frosted flakes with bananas and we have a few others but I forget what they are..." Seriously?!? Just shocked that service is so bad for an upscale restaurant. Gratuity is automatic on the bill for everyone but it goes to the school.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014The food was great, service excellent! The only negative was the noise level. W We were a group of 8 and had to yell a at each other to be heard. It's pretty noisy even for a smaller group to have a cconversation.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and serviceGeoffDDined on 8/22/2014Was looking for a special place to go to and found Nao. Even though it was for a romantic evening, for this it was not the best place to be as the noise level was pretty high and talking was very difficult however the food was excellent; the service was one of the best.....we would definitely be going back!!!Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceTAMKEITHDined on 8/21/2014Three of us had dinner at NAO - two of has the pre fix with wine pairings and one had soup and seafood entree. Delicious all! Our Server was the best and we enjoyed hearing about the culinary school. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- NAO an unforgettable experienceVinofiedDined on 8/19/2014I love to dine out and my husband & I agree our dining experience at NAO was superb from start to finish. Realizing it's a learning experience for the students of the culinary institute everything went very smoothly. Although the tables next to us arrived, dined and left during our dinner we were never rushed or crowded and enjoyed our two+ hour dinner. We were there midweek during Restaurant week; my husband had the fixed menu and I enjoyed the Bahianan fish stew. We were very pleased with our single vineyard wine touted as the queen of Chilean wines. We will be back and thank our friend for recommending the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below expectationstxjalapenoDined on 8/5/2014Creative offerings with generally excellent sauces, but all meat/seafood items (except ahi tuna ceviche) were grossly overcooked. Graciously accepted overcooked steak and replaced with appropriate medium rare, which was exceptional in flavor. Also expected service personnel to be more generous and knowledgeable about the menu items, including tidbits on their preparation.Special Features:
- Latin SpicejdantotherescueDined on 7/26/2014Love the cartel cocktail: blanco tequila, mexcal, Serrano pepper, cucumber, simple syrup and other secret ingredients. Green juice with a kick. Shrimp and mussels were delicious, along with the jicama tacos for an appetizer.Special Features:
- GOURMANDRGLDined on 7/25/2014It is hard to decide with plate to chopos. Food is excelent and creative, and service is pretty good. The place is great. It is a bit noisy, but can get use to.
- Delicious! Truly a great find!lindalou54Dined on 7/19/2014Delicious! Can’t believe culinary students prepared our meal, we enjoyed the seasonal cocktail with our meal and every aspect of our dinner truly made us feel as if we were dining in a fine restaurant in Latin America. The entrees were amazing, bravo to team NAO. You have to try the Bahian Lobster and Fish Stew, it has coconut milk, dende oil, lobster knuckles, sweet plantain and yucca, it was a little piece of heaven. We arrived early to sample a few of the cocktails at the bar, highly recommend the Cartel Cocktail, the bartenders are wonderful and the cocktails are delightful. My husband & I look forward to trying the rest of the dinner entrees before the menu change. I know we frequent NAO for years to come.Special Features:
- ExcellentbrendaDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant is classroom internships for a The a Culinary Institute last year students. Menu changes flair every 6 weeks. We had South American cuisine. Excellent in every way. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- MCL10Dined on 7/16/2014We went to NAO for my wife's birthday and it was our first time visiting the establishment. We enjoyed the ambiance of the place, had a great time tasting the variety of different foods, especially the Yucatan theme foods they had for the month. My wife enjoyed the different drink varieties and was excited that they offered her a complimentary drink for her special day!Special Features:
- expensive for a learning restauranthungryintxDined on 7/15/2014Keep in mind they are students when you go. Service is pretty funny since they aren't waiters. Ours had to check with the chef on all of our questions about the menu. My husband ordered the ribeye but got a new York. They pretty much told us we didn't know what we were talking about but made a new steak for him anyway. Brought a ribeye that time. The manager didn't come to the table until we were paying to say it was definitely the wrong cut of meat. Food was really good. There were three of us. Had the duck and pork pate and tuna tartare apps along with our main course. The bill was $150 before wine. They add 17% gratuity to every check regardless. All in all a good meal. Worth going once for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Excellent food, service, ambiance. My only complaint was the pork was dry. However, it was more than balanced by the pao de queijo, cheese and preserves, my husband's steak, and exquisite desserts. The drinks were imaginative and tasty. I cannot wait to return to Nao.Special Features:
- NAO Chow09erDinerDined on 7/12/2014First visit Saturday night early seating. Very Cool interior design and comfortable leather chairs. Online reservations worked perfectly. Room temp was too warm but it was 95 outside. Young fresh faced server was friendly but obviously not well trained and was unable to explain any of the dishes or unusual ingredients much of which were foreign to us and apparently him too. We tried a variety of appetizers all good except the pâté' was still ice cold and hard out of the fridge. The various entrees were tasty. If they are going to charge like a real restaurant there is no excuse not to perform like one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ImpressesKiwiWannaBeVIPDined on 7/12/2014We've been here on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. Cutting edge Latin cuisine and drinks and outstanding service make for a very enjoyable experience. Most of the employees are culinary students getting an appreciation for the customer-facing side of the restaurant business. They have always been engaging and are willing to give you an extremely educated description of the menu.Special Features:
- Not so good...PorkBellyVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is our second time at this restaurant and we were not impressed. The food came out alternately under or over cooked. When the undercooked sausage was brought up we were told that was how it was supposed to be cooked. We passed on finishing the slightly warm sausage disaster. Overall I would recommend the restaurant for the comedic value only.
- InterestingjimnjudyDined on 7/5/2014It's always interesting to try dishes from other countries/cultures.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Well the choices were not a lot so a little disappointed! And I wasn't happy that they already added the 17% for 2 people and didn't let us knowSpecial Features:
- Varied offeringshoustonfoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014The current Venezuela dinner was several dollars higher than advertised on email, good nonetheless but without the wine pairings of the last Chilean offering. I hope the future Mexican offerings specialize in regional expertise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosoLamoreDined on 6/21/2014The food was incredible, everything cooked to perfection. Our server, Nadia, did an excellent job - cordial, helpful, and anticipated our needs.Special Features:
- A night at NAO2NOLAFoodiesVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our first time at NAO and I must say that it was a great experience. Our group enjoyed the jicama tacos with mango and pineapple as an appetizer. The taquitos were absolutely wonderful- nice and light. I had the Cuban pork chop. initiallly, I was concerned about the "mojo" seasoning being over powering with garlic flavor, but that was not the case. Very good choice and would highly recommend it. The ambience was a tiny bit on the energetic side. Overall it was a great experience and would recommend NAO to those people who are looking for new flavors to explore.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Went on a Friday evening around 7:00pm; wasn't too crowded. Service was great, food options were abundant. We ordered several different types of food to share and sample and we liked the majority of what we ordered. The presentation of food was artistic and impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must trymchsnDined on 6/7/2014We really enjoyed the South American flavors. The food was wonderful. The service was fantastic. They had several very unusual cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Lunch at NaoGotebojoeDined on 6/7/2014The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. I liked the low noise level very much.Special Features:
- So impressedfoodquest74Dined on 6/6/2014Had a wonderful dinner for our anniversary. Argentinian lamb shank and a delicious scallops and muscles dish. They obviously take great pride in their food and it's Great to support the Culinary Arts Institute. They gave us a couple of complimentary glasses of champagne to celebrate our night. What a fabulous experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConfusedArgfoodieDined on 6/6/2014It was a great spot to eat. Only thing was that I was confused by food choices with their supposed country of origin. I'm Argentinian and the person I was with was Chilean so we chose those countries to see what their interpretation of those countries was. End story, not even close to what you get from those countries. My opinion, leave out the countries next to the foods. Good was still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- toddsporttoddsportDined on 6/3/2014Starters: Ceviche was the best I've ever had. Fresh tastes and nice textures with no one component too strong. Venzualen chicken pot pie was an even better surprise---a dish that has unexpected flavors of sweet and sour somehow blended with comfort food. Main course: The fish was cooked just right and the relish complimented it perfectly. The sirloin looked much like steak fritte but was one of those fine cuisine moments when you taste something and cannot help but say "wow!" The puree and topping added an explosion of flavors that was peppery yet made you long for another bite, and the steak was so tender it almost melted in your mouth. The only slight disappointment was the cake dessert which seemed a bit dry.Special Features:
- The following 277 reviews are from the NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio reviews archive.
- Appetizer heaven.JSvalbergDined on 5/14/2014I took my brother from out of town for his first NAO experience. We had 4 appetizer selections. I loved the guava jelly with the Mexican cheese. The jicama tacos are always awesome. He loved the kick of the linguisa. Nadia was a great source of information and explanation. It is great that she is willing to share info about the food and spices! Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014We made a reservation to celebrate our anniversary and birthday. Upon being sat at our table the hostess welcomed us with a glass of champagne in honor of these two events. Our server was attentive, courteous, punctual, and made sure our special dietary needs were met. This restaurant has a great menu for guests who are on a gluten free diet and the food was AWESOME!!! We would definitely recommend this restaurant and plan on going again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!paleofoodieDined on 5/12/2014Very cool atmosphere, great location and the food was great. One member of my group had to send her pork chop back because it was still pink in the middle a little bit but they got it back out very quickly and she really enjoyed it. I had the Swordfish steak and it was cooked to perfection. Melt in your mouth. Excellent margaritas and the goat cheese cheesecake was excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing delicacieshoustonfoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Allows you to move about Latin America and try dishes not otherwise available in San Antonio, a wonderful place and highly recommended, superb wine pairing alsoSpecial Features:
- excellent foodie placeBianchiDined on 5/9/2014NAO delivered for the 3rd time! Exotic yet delicious selections--particularly the Chilean ribeye and risotto. Highly recommended as one of San Antonio's most interesting restaurants. Love that the menu is always different from the time before, so dining is a pleasant surprise! One can always count on superbly prepared and presented dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special meal with great insightJohnDined on 5/3/2014Had a great meal with great suggestions and explanations from the student chef / waiter. We chose the Chile 3 course meal with wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missteps aboundjmburtonDined on 5/2/2014Second visit to NAO, and it fell way short of our first. Service was not up to par with our first visit. A restaurant training the future leaders in food culture needs to bring its "A" game. We looked forward to the small puffs of bread that are served just prior to the appetizer course, but they were greasy on the outside and wholly undercooked doughy mush on the inside. The mahi ceviche appetizer should have probably been sent back. The overly fishy smell also carried over into an entrée also featuring mahi. Even though it was cooked properly, the lack of basic seasoning on the pork chop entrée was a huge disappointment. Any time I have to ask the server for salt is a huge red flag! We didn't even want to stay for dessert.
- NAOOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/19/2014We have been there before, and this time did not disappoint, either. It's a bit noisy for my liking, but the food and service were great!Special Features:
- An exquisite dinnerlove2toeatwellDined on 4/19/2014Always wanted to go an experience the different menus! It was a wonderful experience and delicious flavors. The short ribs were excellent but should have been warmer; they were not hot out of the grill. Nevertheless, they were delicious! Will go again, again, and again. My compliments to the excellent Chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014It is always delightful to be surprised by an elegant and inventive menu. I know when I dine at Nao I can count on discovering something new. I love the prix fixe menus and wine pairings. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly, and obviously takes pride in their work. The decor is tasteful, but the ambience is comfortable and unpretentious. Nao is now my favorite restaurant in San Antonio. Don't change a thing!Special Features:
- Fabulous evening!TweynandDined on 4/15/2014We had a wonderful server! She was new, and just as excited about the delicious Chilean foods! Each plate was inventive and just plain yummy! Our drinks and wine were perfectly coordinated with our meal as well! Cannot wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMikeDined on 4/9/2014Great team of hard working professionals. Can not wait to come back to San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.