NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio
312 Pearl Parkway
Bldg 2 Suite 2102
San Antonio, TX 78215Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://naorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2105546484x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Closed
Late Night: Friday & Saturday 10:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, South American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Geronimo Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio
NAO restaurant is dedicated to the exploration, preservation, and celebration of the authentic cuisines, cultures, and bounty of Latin America. Unique flavors, inspired by iconic ingredients and indigenous preparations, are presented in a contemporary style. Distinctive and exciting cocktails and beverages compliment the cuisine. And an extensive wine list rounds out the experience in this modern and dramatic setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
NAO at The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)special occasion (41)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (22)good for groups (18)hot spot (18)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Fabulous evening!TweynandDined on 4/15/2014We had a wonderful server! She was new, and just as excited about the delicious Chilean foods! Each plate was inventive and just plain yummy! Our drinks and wine were perfectly coordinated with our meal as well! Cannot wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMikeDined on 4/9/2014Great team of hard working professionals. Can not wait to come back to San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedlive2eatDined on 4/7/2014Food was expensive and poorly prepared and presented. The steak was good - hard to ruin a piece of meat. The salad greens thrown on top of the steak made no sense. Oxtail soup looked and tasted like dishwater, with only two miniscule pieces of meat in the broth. Server was inattentive and appeared to be bored. Beer was good.
- CIA standardcavdocVIPDined on 4/5/2014Top Culinary school sends one forth on a Latin American dining adventure. Menu changes, always fresh, food well prepared this is a dlightful evening. Students and staff combine for an outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great....LynneR912VIPDined on 4/5/2014Disappointing, was hoping for decent service and good food as this is an arm of the Culinary Institute. Tried the tasting menu, the first course was delivered stone-cold (was supposed to be hot...), the second course, a sirloin steak, was gristly and full of fat but the toppings were tasty. The dessert and the paired wines were good; however, the wines were delivered well after the food for the second and third course. My partner's food was okay, his rib-eye was cooked correctly and the accompanying side dishes were good. The place is beautiful, and parking was a snap; but, it's sad that the best items to comment on are the decor and parking and the food and service comes in a distance third....
- A San Antonio Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014This is an unusual experience in that most of the staff including the wait and cooking are CIA students. The kitchen is open to view and the cooking is entertainment. Food is real foodie fare and one of the best restaurant experiences we have had. Compares favorably with the CIA Napa Valley. Fantastic service and quality food make for a special culinary experience. Five star in our view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we ordered wasSazaracLoverVIPDined on 4/4/2014Everything we ordered was perfect. Great steaks, appetizers and cocktails.Special Features:
- OK..but not impressive.vinosetcDined on 4/2/2014Staff was very accomodating, in error i booked the wrong date for dinner and the hostest found a way to make it happen. The restaurant was good but nothing spectacular...I have been to better CIA.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Argentina!TexasSourdoughVIPDined on 3/27/2014We went to NAO for the Argentina tasting menu. (I had been in Argentina earlier in March and wanted my wife to share the experience as best as possible.) She had empanadas for an appetizer and I had crispy sweetbreads, a chickpea "sopa", and an Argentine sauseage. All were very good. The empnadas were very authentic in flavor though in some ways a bit more up-scale and ultimately not quite as good as the ones we had in Patagonia. These were accompanied by a sparkling Malbec which was quite nice and interesting. A good paring. For the main course we had sirloins with chimichurri and a conventional Malbec. The chimichurri was very good and hte entire course was quite satisfying. Dessert was cookies, creme, and a late harvest Malbec. VGood!Special Features:
- Creative and delicious cuisineRoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 3/25/2014We were here late on a weeknight, so we practically had the place to ourselves. We appreciated that we didn't feel rushed in spite of being the last party there. Our meal was a collection of appetizers, and all of them were creative and well executed. The little cheese bread balls were the hit of the night, I hate to admit. The cocktails were properly prepared and our server was very pleasant and knowledgeable. I love supporting culinary school restaurants, and this one is now one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thought they had remarkablyJaviDined on 3/22/2014We thought they had remarkably good cocktails and the food was excellent. The restaurant ambience was bright, colorful and elegant. Really enjoyed it (party of six).Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceSalvadorVIPDined on 3/21/2014This was a great place for a first date. The food was excellent and the environment was tranquil and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXTREMELY INCONSISTENTTAMASARDined on 3/20/2014NAO can be extremely fine -- and also seriously disappointing. There' s plenty of talent in the kitchen, but follow-though -- and ingredients -- are sometimes amazingly poor. Our twosome ordered the newly introduced Argentinian Menu, featuring Bife Chorizo, grilled sirloin with chimichurri sauce and vegetable garnish. We were served the toughest steak we have ever encountered in San Antonio. It was enormous, and dreadful. There is no excuse for this. We have both enjoyed excellent Bife Chorizo in Argentinian restaurants, and sirloin steaks in San Antonio. The NAO specimen was without the slightest marbling, and gave evidence of having been friozen. The flesh was pale pink, not rosy -- and barely edible. Yech.Special Features:
- Great except for a major errorGoodeatsDined on 3/20/2014I dined here the first time and enjoyed a wonderful swordfish belly. The experience overall caused me to want to return again. Six weeks later, we went back and I ordered the swordfish belly again, but when it arrived it was a loin cut, not the belly. I asked the server about it, she went to check with the chef and they said it was not the belly, but a loin. I spoke quietly with the manager on duty, and he seemed to care less. The lack of informing a diner that what they ordered was not what they were going to get is unethical at the least. If that is the way NAO wants to run their business, I will not return...there are too many other good choices than too have to deal with a dishonest situation and a manager who could not even apologize.
- A night in San AntoniojfinealesDined on 3/19/2014As a retired restauranteur (successful), I consider my experience quite nice. We were a four top. We ordered items from all courses. Presentation and taste was very nice. Experience tells me bringing staff from the 'back of the house' to the front (as servers) can be very challenging. With our visit the table presence was very comfortable. If in the area again I certainly would return to Nao.Special Features:
- Hidden gem in San AntoniofoodiechickDined on 3/14/2014Love visiting culinary school restaurants across country and this did not disappoint. Good drinks, food and service. Menu was not as large as some we have visited but the value of the food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!yummyDined on 3/10/2014Our first visit to NAO was incredible, so we had to go back again and take a friend. Everything we have had thus far has been delicious. Our taste buds were watering before our steak and pork were set before us because we could smell it as the waitress approached. Presentation is artistry. Taste is incredible. We went on a Friday night and the restaurant was packed. We then went on a Monday night and hardly anyone was there. Great service, great food!Special Features:
- Unique experienceDebbyGDined on 3/8/2014We wanted to try NAO since it is affiliated with the Culinary Institute and the food is focused on Latin American cuisine. We loved it - very inventive combinations that were delicious. We started with the jicama tacos - refreshing, light and flavorful, and the cod fritters - very lightly fried, full of flavor. Our mains were just as delicious - cumin crusted pork chop and the Argentinian steak. The service was attentive, but a little clumsy, i.e., split water, fork flew off the plate and hit my arm. Nothing serious - would recommend if you like unique food combinations. They offer a fixed price menu focused on a specific country - seems like a great value, although we did not choose this option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outreallyVIPDined on 3/7/2014Begin with the Marinated Olives & Cheese appetizer, shareable as nibbles while deciding on drinks. Orange-Cumin Pork T Bone was cooked perfectly and the mashed yucca and plantain was smooth and creamy. Beef Short Rib was tasty but requested without the peppers and that didn't happen. Two ordered the Smoke Roasted Ribeye Steak, well done, and it was prepared to order. Shared desserts - Ginger Mango Cobbler w/homemade vanilla bean ice cream and passion fruit coulis and the Chocolate Encounter (chocolate meringue & chocolate mousse and rum sorbet). Both incredible. The best part of the meal by far. Service was sketchy as the server didn't seem to know the menu items clearly and had to go to the kitchen and ask several questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingColeenDined on 2/28/2014One must be patient with sometimes receiving inexperienced service and adventurous about the culinary experiences here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceSalvadorVIPDined on 2/28/2014It was our first time there and we had a wonderful time.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014The four people in my party each ordered different dishes so that we could taste as much of the menu as possible. The Brazilian dessert was a miss but everything else we ordered was very good. Unfortunately, the experience was marred by remarkably inept service. I realize that these are students but I waited tables as a student, too. We order two French press coffees (one regular; one decaf) to go with our desserts. The first carafe was delivered after the dessert plates had been removed. The secnd approximately 15 minutes after that. So sad that the evening ended on such a low note.Special Features:
- Excellent Choiceluv2eatDined on 2/22/2014NAO is located in the Pearl Brewery and the menu featured cuisines from the Americas with wonderful flavors. There are tables outside however we chose to eat inside. The inside is decorated beautifully. We were there for lunch so can not comment on the noise level. If you have never been to a CIA restaurant I would highly recommend this restaurant. The menu was a fun read and it was hard to choose what to eat. All of us enjoyed what we ordered. If you are there with someone who likes more bland food, the salad would be perfect for them and it is a good size. Our server was very informative. The CIA students cook at dinner and there is a bar where you can dine and observe. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid choice2ndtimerDined on 2/20/2014The food was clearly creative and done with expertise and care.No ambience-someone needs to divide this large rectangle into a cozier place so it does not feel like a dinner . Service just OK(not knowledgeable enought).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IT WAS OKDougDined on 2/19/2014The whole experience was mediocre. We had Brazil dinner - lobster stew- good, palm salad- bland, steak good, grilled shrimp nice. Dessert - Brazil- OK.Special Features:
- This isn't your mama's tex-mexTonyDined on 2/18/2014Very interesting and delicious foods from all over Mexico, Central and South America. You definitely have to ask questions to find out what some of the dishes they serve are and most are very intriguing. It is hard to choose so go with friends who do not mind sharing, family style, so you can try more of their delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Antonio GemNLLINKEDined on 2/17/2014Any visit to San Antonio should include the Pearl Brewery development on the Riverwalk. San Antonio is fortunate to be the home of one of the Culinary Institute of America locations. A hip and modern Nao offers the opportunity to taste the creations of the Culinary Institute. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - still learning serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014This was our 3rd or 4th dinner at NAO. The food has been consistently very good, both taste & presentation. This was the first time that the quality of service did not match that of the food. It was good, but lacked a bit of the professionalism of earlier visits (e.g., our waitperson forgot an appetizer, awkward wine presentation). Perhaps she was a new student. Still highly recommend for a memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Inexperienced ServerLisaLDined on 2/15/2014The food was fantastic. Unfortunately, our server was inexperienced and clearly struggling. She was pleasant but did not clear empty glasses/dishes from the table. She only filled our water glasses once. Did not bring spoons for our dessert. Not tragic but inept. The service was what I would expect from Chili's not a restaurant like Nao. Thankfully, the managers recognized that our server needed help managing her section and provided good service recovery. The food is worth chancing the possibility of mediocre service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencedatenightdinerDined on 2/14/2014It was Valentine's night but we just wanted a nice night out, not the full romance experience. NAO was perfect. Students working hard and a fabulous menu and terrific food. It was really a pleasure.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodNanoDined on 2/14/2014The food is what you would expect from a high end restaurant. Tasty and new surprises on each visit. If you like ginger, try their house made ginger ale, it's the best I've ever had. The food is visually beautiful and flavorful. The service is old world and very attentive, every server is knowledgeable on the menu and the ingredients. This is a foodie gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakShrekDined on 2/14/2014We visited for Valentines Day and were very happy with our evening. We arrived a little early, before the rush, and enjoyed the art and open environment. The waitress was witty and engaging and added to our evening. The food took a little longer than we would have liked to wait, but as it was Valentines and we were in no hurry, we were not upset. When the main course arrived, we truly enjoyed one of the best steaks ever. What made it taste even better was knowing the comparative prices at other steak houses in San Antonio. Fantastic value and great environment. Parking is the only challenge, but I would not charge that to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brazilian menu is very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I booked a dinner at Nao because the menu was Brazilian and I've lived the food from that region. The lobster appetizer and the papaya dessert were delicious. The main course was good but the picanha had some gristle and not as good as I've had in the past. I still love Nao and will come back but I hope their beef cuts are better quality in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and Tastykpidl4Dined on 2/13/2014The food is incredible, the service was okay. The restaurant itself was gorgeous and the presentation of the food was awesome it just took awhile and our order got mixed up a few times and took awhile getting to us.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedsdmnDined on 2/11/2014Everything was perfect. Took business colleagues to dinner and ordered the prix fixe menu. It was so refreshing not to be rushed through the courses...we had the table for the night, courses were served at a reasonable pace allowing us to enjoy the company and conversation. Quiet enough to carry on a conversation without raising voices...a novelty these days. Food was fabulous. We love this place!Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014The food was great and professional done but the portion was little too small for the price given.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best and staffed by studentsTejawatersDined on 2/8/2014This CIA restaurant is every thing you would expect in a first class restaurant. A little noisy (sp). One of the wine's we wanted to try was not available, but the waitress new that as we asked for it. I am taking medication for a test and doctor does not want me to consume alcohol and the lengths the staff went to make sure this was honored was amusing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A table of 8Topper1946Dined on 2/8/2014We were a large group for this venue and the service was O.K. but our server was lacking in knowledge about some of the dishes and had to be asked repeatedly for another glass of wine. Several of us had the Brazilian style prix fix special menu and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's almost like dinner theatre!driverladyDined on 2/6/2014We had the featured set-price menu and the food was amazing. The dishes were beautifully presented, service was impeccable, and the general ambiance is one of casual elegance. Another winner for the CIA program. We only have the New York site still on our bucket list.Special Features:
- Met HighExpectationsjoezDined on 2/1/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dinner on Saturday night. The cocktails were clever and tasty and the dinner items delicious, interesting and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.