9755 Traville Gateway Dr
Rockville, MD 20850Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nantucketsreef.com/
- Phone: 3012797333
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Weekend Brunch
A word from Nantucket's Reef
Nantucket’s Reef is a casual seafood restaurant with the perfect mix of top quality fresh food, unmatched hospitality, and a relaxing Nantucket ‘Cape Cod’ style and décor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nantucket's Reef reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (101)good for groups (54)great for lunch (52)fit for foodies (46)great for outdoor dining (38)kid-friendly (36)great for brunch (28)special occasion (27)late-night find (10)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- First time nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Amazing food, service and attention to details even though every table filled it was like we were the only ones there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood treatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014We continue to enjoy this nearby "find" and are glad to see that it is doing well. The fresh seafood is better than anywhere around (MD crab cakes are all lump crab and yummy!), and the decor is very pleasant in nautical tones. Service is usually good also. The only complaint is that the noise level is high; perhaps some baffling could be installed. Overall, Nantucket Reef is a great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice variety of seafoodFoodiesDined on 9/13/2014Good first time experience. Great food and attentive service. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousGoBigOrGoHomeDined on 9/13/2014Have been here on 5 occasions for dinner or lunch and left happy each time. The appetizer salad is great, (although I wish you would bring back the wedge salad) and the entrees are varied and interesting. Especially good are the wicked mussels, the clam chowder and the salmon. The daily specials are generally good too. Host staff and servers are attentive. There is also a small but friendly bar to visit if there is a wait for the table. There is an outdoor patio for nice weather.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have been for dinner several times and liked it every time. Six of us went last night and each dinner was excellent. Not a fancy restaurant and reminds me of a typical New England seafood. Would recommend any fish dish, no cake crab cakes, or any fried basket -- even steak good. Dozen oysters have been great for east coast oysters as appetizer. Wine list very reasonably priced for a decent red.Special Features:
- Everything was good but not greatLookin4greateatsDined on 9/6/2014The ceilings are high so the place does not lend itself to a quiet environment. We arrived at 1:45 but the brunch was not offered to us - they said it was over at 2pm - and we were handed dinner menus. We did not want to eat dinner at 1:45pm - no lunch here and I checked its Facebook page & Yelp. We split the Volcano (not on menu) cost $32 - tasty grilled skirt steak with mashed potatoes and a lump/backfin crabcake on top & sauce over all - some shell in the crabcake. My guest had salmon. The waiter did not know if the crabcake was made from lump or claw, & if the salmon was farm-raised or fresh. When we asked for rolls, he didn't know what they were - we were brought three 1/2 pieces of grilled bread slices. Hmm.
- surprising experiencegudfudDined on 9/3/2014I had heard mixed reviews about Nantucket's, so I was curious and apprehensive. The experience was fabulous - the server, Bryan, suggested the selections; we took his advice and loved every bite! Delicious - cannot wait to return. Server was awesome, owners were embracing - great experience all-around.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014i really like Nantucket's Reef. First of all the food is outstanding; so is the service. The only negative is the noise level. I need to be able to hear my guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodfathersdayDined on 8/30/2014The food is this once doomed location has been excellent and we are really rooting for it to continue. The seafood in particular has been fresh, varied and well prepared. For appetizers, the calamari and mussels are terrific, definitely a notch above the usual. The service has been very good with a friendly considerate staff and management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!AnonDined on 8/30/2014The "Crab NO Cakes" are spectacular. Unimaginably great.Special Features:
- HaroldDined on 8/30/2014Excellent restrauant! The service was exceptional, the waiter knew the menu and his suggestions were veryy good. The food arrived in proper order, in that our dinner arrived after we had completed our apitizer and had an opportunity to talk. I highly recommend Nantucket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedmdgastronomeDined on 8/29/2014Ordinary cuisine at extaordinary prices. Nearly 20 bucks for fried clams and french fries? You've got to be kidding. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Great serviceblewisDined on 8/29/2014Our waiter was very attentive and service was very good. The food was great, would recommend to all my friends. Planning on taking our out of town guest there soon. Will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but slowJillyjillVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food was decent (fish tacos, shrimp tacos, veggies, apps) but the service was extremely slow. None of our food was hot/warm when it came out (after more than 40 minutes of waiting, we had to ask for them to check on it) and the sides we ordered were wrong--although they did bring them right out and they were hot and tasty. Our server (bartender, we always sit at the bar) was very pleasant and our drinks were good. I assume that on another night it would have been better, but this was a Wednesday and it was quite busy for the staff that was on hand. An unusually busy night is very difficult to predict! One other note: Happy hour ends *early* (for the area) at 6pm--so plan ahead if you want to take advantage!
- UnevenGiorgioDined on 8/24/2014Calamari and muscles as appetizers were superb House salad was excellent. Fried lobster tail it was an interesting twist the dish was not presented nicely though. Volcano special was inconsistent- Crab and mashed potatoes and sauce was excellent while the encircling steak was tough and too thin to be cooked to the doneness wanted. The salmon was uneventful. Shrimp scampi with excellent. Recommend trying the restaurant for locals but not worth traveling to from a distance.Special Features:
- food was good2468GreatDined on 8/11/2014Our food was fresh and well prepared. It is nice to have a place near Rockville where one can get fresh raw oysters. The dining areas are limited in decor and noisy. It is difficult to have a conversation without raising one's voice. Service was adequate, very formulaic.Special Features:
- Plastic ReefTasterDined on 8/10/2014The food is very good. Our entrees were carefully prepared and came as ordered. But, there are two features that are distracting: 1) The decor is at best, plastic modern. This seafood place looks like a fast food place! 2) The sound levels are extraordinarily loud. It's like the designers went out of their way to install sound bouncing materials. Too bad, because the food is nicely done. Finally, for a seafood place, the desserts are big and heavy. No one at our table finished their bread pudding or key lime/cheesecake because they were weighty and way too large. Desserts should be light to go with the fact that seafood is rarely heavy.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceDaveNBettyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Stuffed cod almost melted in my mouth. Fried shrimp nicely done with light batter. Our server, Samantha, was delightful and very attentive. The dining area is a large open room which feels a bit like a cafeteria. Some divisions and decorations would give a more intimate feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serenatDined on 8/5/2014Not my first time there and the food is excellent.Special Features:
- NoiselovefoodDined on 8/3/2014Noise level was higher than past visits. Decreased when 2 tables left and made it much more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is no shipwreck!!!!BarbVIPDined on 8/2/2014Outstanding food and service! We had no idea it's been open sinc last fall. My husband loved the mussels and stuffed cod. I had the salad with chicken. Yummiest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodClarkebarDined on 8/2/2014Grabbed Saturday brunch before going to see matinee performance of Cirque du Soleil's Amaluna at National Harbor. Meal was perfect and held us over until we got home around 7:30. I always get the Crab Benny, my wife the Shrimp & Grits and also the unlimited Mimosas. We are getting in there about once a week now. A good habit to have. We don't really eat out that much and prefer to go to places we consider special for one reason or another. Nantucket's Reef is our new special.Special Features:
- returnedSofiVIPDined on 8/1/2014Service/food continues to be excellent. Management was working to ensure food and drinks flowed smoothly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, good priceLBBBDined on 8/1/2014First time dining at Nan's Reef. True to name, décor redone in a nautical theme. Dining room noisy but tables far enough apart to be comfortable. Service attentive and prompt. They seem focused on making sure diners are happy. Table nearby sent back their mussels; new mussels came, and I think the restaurant also sent glasses of wine. We had a minor issue - my husband asked to skip the slaw and "throw in a few more fries". When the meal came with the slaw the server noticed, and next thing we know an entire (large) side of fries is delivered to the table. Fried oysters w/ sweet fries were great, calamari app was really good, and fish and chips was great. Too much fried food, but that was my own fault! We will return.Special Features:
- Refreshing Addition to CommunityEB33Dined on 7/26/2014I have been there twice now. Each time the " surf" was wonderful, fresh and perfectly cooked, but the "turf" needs work. Our service was great and the management was quick to apologize for, and comp, our over done steaks. I can't wait to try the brunch and late night happy hour. Going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ipswich Fried Clams!!Gooseman53Dined on 7/25/2014As an expat New Englander, I really appreciate this local treat. Even though there is no reef that belongs to Nantucket nor any town in MA spelled Ipswitch, they get it rignt with their seafood. The owner trained at Johnson & Wales in Providence and honed his taste for NE seafood over the years there. He works hard to get it right. The food is terrific and properly priced. Wait staff is well trained and attentive. The indoor atmosphere is open, light and relaxed. Outdoor seating is perfect for a comfortable summer evening. The menu is simple and that's a plus. They don't try to do everything, they do what they do well. My wife and I are regulars and we'll keep going back.Special Features:
- Fresh. Yum.AmberWavesDined on 7/23/2014Delicious seafood. Generous portions. Great sides. Authentic New England ... I wouldn't have guessed the owner is one of Maryland's own. Way to go, Steve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaroldDined on 7/20/2014A great place to go. We made reservations since it was a weekend and were seated upon arrival. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beach SeafoodLuvseafoodDined on 7/19/2014If you can't get to the beach to enjoy some of the most desirable boardwalk seafood you must try Nantucket Reef. With the feel of a Beachee seafood restaurant NS offers a variety of my favorites including a full raw bar with oysters and clams at reasonable prices. Entrees include fried oysters and clams, grilled scallops, stuffed shrimp and fish and chips along with sweet potato or regular straw fries and coleslaw.. I would not call it Gourmet but I would call it Comfort Seafood. The breading is light and everything is as fresh as you'd expect from eating at the beach. When it comes to appetizers try the Crab Dip. It is exceptional. BTW, to enhance the beachee atmosphere, most of the food is served in basket.Special Features:
- Firt VisitCinnamonVIPDined on 7/19/2014I decided to take my 82-year old friend to this restaurant for lunch. He is a foodie and we enjoy finding new places. The restaurant make a good first impression. Very nice Nantucket décor, high ceilings, super clean. I was disappointed in the lunch menu, however. A very limited selection. We ended up with Lobsta rolls, which were generously filled with lobster and came with corn on the cob and fries. The price was good at $19 for what we got, but not everyone wants to spend this much at lunch. The crab cake (one) is $28! We had a great glass of Sancerre with meal, bringing the tab to $84. Pretty pricey!
- love the placeCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great food at great prices. I don't know how they make money. Happy hour is the best around town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodHLDVDined on 7/15/2014It is clear that the chef is creative and the food is tasty. My fish tacos were nice looking although a little more fish in each taco would have been nice. The restaurant is convenient, free parking and local. The large room for dining needs to be warmed up-rather cool colors.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodNickDined on 7/13/2014Went for dinner on a Sunday evening. The food was well prepared and plentiful. I had the crab 'no' cakes which are two very large crab cakes of lump crab meat with little to no filler. I only ate one and took one home. Everyone at our table liked their food. The server was attentive and responsive. The negatives? Very loud. It was difficult to talk to someone two seats away. And I thought most of the dishes were too large and as a result the prices were also a bit high. They could offer some smaller dishes at lower prices. For example, I would have preferred to have a single crab cake instead of two.
- Great dinner fabulous BRUNCH!theresabarDined on 7/13/2014This was my first time having brunch at NR. It was great, I had the eggs benedict with crab - so good! I've been here for dinner but brunch was so yummy! I'm coming back to try the french toast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2014Excellent place for brunch - a variety of selections, very pleasant and attentive service. Debbie greeted us when we arrived, and checked on us during the meal. Our server answered all our questions and made menu recommendations. We will definitely return to this restaurant soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurprisejoandinesVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was my first time at Nantucket Reef. It was more casual that the restaurants previously in the same location. Everyone in our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed their meals. I must go back to try some of the other selections.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night specialLefty48Dined on 7/11/2014Very high noise level. Good food. Staff friendly. Young waitress Hannah was great. Could better on the other staff members.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice New England RestaurantCecilyDined on 7/10/2014Good solid New England style restaurant with your basic roadside stand seafood fare. Great place to take the kids when you need a uncomplicated seafood fix.Special Features:
- Seafood restaurant??SeafoodLoverDined on 7/9/2014Restaurant is spacious and comfortable. Service was adequate but not memorable. House wine was fine and priced well for happy hour. Quality of the dinner was somewhat disappointing. There are better seafood restaurants in the area which I would rate higher.
- Work celebration lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014My co-workers enjoyed a celebratory lunch at Nantucket Reef! The food was delicious and the service very good and speedy. We got back to the office with time to spare. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.