9755 Traville Gateway Dr
Rockville, MD 20850Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nantucketsreef.com/
- Phone: 3012797333
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Weekend Brunch
A word from Nantucket's Reef
Nantucket’s Reef is a casual seafood restaurant with the perfect mix of top quality fresh food, unmatched hospitality, and a relaxing Nantucket ‘Cape Cod’ style and décor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nantucket's Reef reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (85)good for groups (45)great for lunch (41)fit for foodies (33)kid-friendly (26)special occasion (26)great for brunch (22)great for outdoor dining (19)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (5)romantic (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- DeliciousluvtogardenDined on 10/21/2014I brought my husband here for the first time to celebrate our anniversary. I requested a table with some privacy for our lunch and was pleasantly surprised to see that we had the back dining room to ourselves. The table was even set with a linen tablecloth...not their usual for lunch. All of the staff we met greeted us with a "happy anniversary". Calvin was our server and was very attentive without hovering. Oh, the food. Delicious. I had the salad topped with a crab cake...the cilantro dressing was just the right accent. My husband had the clam chowder. It was loaded with clams, rich and creamy. The fried oyster basket was good. The brownie dessert was fabulous... plenty for 2.Special Features:
- strayDined on 10/19/2014Ordered fried clams, that were fresh, and well prepared. Waiter forgot the appetizer clam chowder. Sweet potatoe fries better than regular ones, which did not taste as if they were cut in house. Small container of slaw was Ok. Very casual atmosphere in a shopping center.Special Features:
- second time, not a charmGentleBenVIPDined on 10/18/2014After our first visit in Sept, we were disappointed in the food this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I love to eat out and enjoy good cooking. However, I ordered fish and it was dry and tasteless. My friend order steak and it wasn't cooked right. We sent it back and it still wasn't done right. When we were looking for the waiter, he was no where to be found. Even our drinks were late! On a good note, we received a free dessert.
- YUMSalmonfreakDined on 10/11/2014Salmon was delish! Those little corn muffins were finger licking good! I enjoyed the surprise of herbs inside; what a delight!! my friend had the shrimo and I tried it. Boy was it good!Special Features:
- Great casual seafood placeMichelobDined on 10/9/2014Nice place to go for spicy mussels and freshly fried seafood entrees. Friendly service, never feel rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingVADinersDined on 10/5/2014Service was less than adequate. Waiter would not write down any part of our order. I had to tell him 3 times ("Miller Lite") before he finally stopped repeating "Bud Lite?" I ordered the fried shrip tacos and received the fried fish tacos. Had he written down my order....! By the time the entree I DID order came out, my wife had already finished her meal. I also thought that the pour on my wife's glass of wine was a little chintzy -- barely a 1/2 glass. We won't be going back.
- Best seefoodPegGMTDined on 10/5/2014I been to Nantucket's Reef twice and never feel disappointed. The Wicked Mussel is a must. I love their crab no cake. It's the only place I will go if I crave for crab cake. My husband had stuffed cod which is good. The breaded fish on kids menu is really good too. Our waiter Alex is fantastic! He is really nice and makes us feel like home. We definitely will come back.Special Features:
- Much better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014Let me start off by saying I expected Nantucket Reef to be good from the few reviews I read. That being said, those expectation were eclipsed by both the quality of the service and the quality of the food. I regret not noting our servers name but he provided excellent customer service and showed a thorough knowledge of the menu. He explained things well and made sure any "changes" we needed were taken care of. As for the food, it was all very good. From the crab dip appetizer to the entrees everyone enjoyed their food. We tasted each others food too and all agreed it was very good.
- Not our best experiencemollyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Nantucket's Reef a lot. We have always have an issue with service and this visit was no different. I ordered an iced tea (which was very light in color almost as if it hasn't been brewed enough) and the server (he must have been new) forgot my splenda even though I asked for it. We got the wicked mussles (that are outstanding) and the server forgot to bring us the trash dish for the shells. Our bread plates were dirty. The food was just "eh" this time with the exception of the Wicked Mussels. I'm hoping our food experience was just an off night for this place because I hate to see it fail.Special Features:
- Not as good 2nd time aroundmrneonshuffleDined on 9/26/2014Our 2nd time here, the place is not very busy for a Friday night and we noticed that they got rid of the free cornbread and the lobster mac and cheese appetizer, both of which were great when we first came here albeit almost a year ago. I had the stuffed cod which was good but they put far too much zucchini and rice on the plate with it, I would prefer fries. Our server was also pretty slow and clueless, I was exasperated to even give him a 15% tip! Overall for the money you do not get a good deal, try elsewhere.
- DelishluvtogardenDined on 9/25/2014We took a friend here for lunch to celebrate a milestone birthday. Steve was very accommodating in recommending a table that would give us a bit more privacy. Our waitress was lovely, refilling drinks, bringing over the birthday dessert and being attentive enough without hovering. Everyone enjoyed their food (as evidenced by the cleanliness of the plates at the end of the meal). I think they have a great selection for lunch and the items are well-priced. I've heard you should make reservations for dinner. I made them for lunch but probably on a regular lunch out, wouldn't need them.Special Features:
- MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014You need to put on menu when dishes are prepared with anything mammal. I do not eat mammals, I do not eat poultry, I do eat seafood but don't want any mammal or poultry in it. If the waitress hadn't mentioned there was pork sausage in the mussels I would never have known from the menu, and there were other dishes we discovered had mammal which the menu didn't mention. Very very very uncool. Will keep me from going back
- Excellent place to dineSebbyDined on 9/19/2014Food is fresh and "hot" when delivered-and some of the best wines.....................Luv it.Special Features:
- Great seafoodCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great seafood at reasonable prices. Nice staff and has outdoor seating for beautiful days and evenings.Special Features:
- First time nice surpriseKatieroxericaDined on 9/13/2014Amazing food, service and attention to details even though every table filled it was like we were the only ones there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood treatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014We continue to enjoy this nearby "find" and are glad to see that it is doing well. The fresh seafood is better than anywhere around (MD crab cakes are all lump crab and yummy!), and the decor is very pleasant in nautical tones. Service is usually good also. The only complaint is that the noise level is high; perhaps some baffling could be installed. Overall, Nantucket Reef is a great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice variety of seafoodFoodiesDined on 9/13/2014Good first time experience. Great food and attentive service. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousGoBigOrGoHomeDined on 9/13/2014Have been here on 5 occasions for dinner or lunch and left happy each time. The appetizer salad is great, (although I wish you would bring back the wedge salad) and the entrees are varied and interesting. Especially good are the wicked mussels, the clam chowder and the salmon. The daily specials are generally good too. Host staff and servers are attentive. There is also a small but friendly bar to visit if there is a wait for the table. There is an outdoor patio for nice weather.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have been for dinner several times and liked it every time. Six of us went last night and each dinner was excellent. Not a fancy restaurant and reminds me of a typical New England seafood. Would recommend any fish dish, no cake crab cakes, or any fried basket -- even steak good. Dozen oysters have been great for east coast oysters as appetizer. Wine list very reasonably priced for a decent red.Special Features:
- Everything was good but not greatLookin4greateatsDined on 9/6/2014The ceilings are high so the place does not lend itself to a quiet environment. We arrived at 1:45 but the brunch was not offered to us - they said it was over at 2pm - and we were handed dinner menus. We did not want to eat dinner at 1:45pm - no lunch here and I checked its Facebook page & Yelp. We split the Volcano (not on menu) cost $32 - tasty grilled skirt steak with mashed potatoes and a lump/backfin crabcake on top & sauce over all - some shell in the crabcake. My guest had salmon. The waiter did not know if the crabcake was made from lump or claw, & if the salmon was farm-raised or fresh. When we asked for rolls, he didn't know what they were - we were brought three 1/2 pieces of grilled bread slices. Hmm.
- surprising experiencegudfudDined on 9/3/2014I had heard mixed reviews about Nantucket's, so I was curious and apprehensive. The experience was fabulous - the server, Bryan, suggested the selections; we took his advice and loved every bite! Delicious - cannot wait to return. Server was awesome, owners were embracing - great experience all-around.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014i really like Nantucket's Reef. First of all the food is outstanding; so is the service. The only negative is the noise level. I need to be able to hear my guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodfathersdayDined on 8/30/2014The food is this once doomed location has been excellent and we are really rooting for it to continue. The seafood in particular has been fresh, varied and well prepared. For appetizers, the calamari and mussels are terrific, definitely a notch above the usual. The service has been very good with a friendly considerate staff and management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!AnonDined on 8/30/2014The "Crab NO Cakes" are spectacular. Unimaginably great.Special Features:
- HaroldDined on 8/30/2014Excellent restrauant! The service was exceptional, the waiter knew the menu and his suggestions were veryy good. The food arrived in proper order, in that our dinner arrived after we had completed our apitizer and had an opportunity to talk. I highly recommend Nantucket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedmdgastronomeDined on 8/29/2014Ordinary cuisine at extaordinary prices. Nearly 20 bucks for fried clams and french fries? You've got to be kidding. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Great serviceblewisDined on 8/29/2014Our waiter was very attentive and service was very good. The food was great, would recommend to all my friends. Planning on taking our out of town guest there soon. Will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but slowJillyjillVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food was decent (fish tacos, shrimp tacos, veggies, apps) but the service was extremely slow. None of our food was hot/warm when it came out (after more than 40 minutes of waiting, we had to ask for them to check on it) and the sides we ordered were wrong--although they did bring them right out and they were hot and tasty. Our server (bartender, we always sit at the bar) was very pleasant and our drinks were good. I assume that on another night it would have been better, but this was a Wednesday and it was quite busy for the staff that was on hand. An unusually busy night is very difficult to predict! One other note: Happy hour ends *early* (for the area) at 6pm--so plan ahead if you want to take advantage!
- UnevenGiorgioDined on 8/24/2014Calamari and muscles as appetizers were superb House salad was excellent. Fried lobster tail it was an interesting twist the dish was not presented nicely though. Volcano special was inconsistent- Crab and mashed potatoes and sauce was excellent while the encircling steak was tough and too thin to be cooked to the doneness wanted. The salmon was uneventful. Shrimp scampi with excellent. Recommend trying the restaurant for locals but not worth traveling to from a distance.Special Features:
- food was good2468GreatDined on 8/11/2014Our food was fresh and well prepared. It is nice to have a place near Rockville where one can get fresh raw oysters. The dining areas are limited in decor and noisy. It is difficult to have a conversation without raising one's voice. Service was adequate, very formulaic.Special Features:
- Plastic ReefTasterDined on 8/10/2014The food is very good. Our entrees were carefully prepared and came as ordered. But, there are two features that are distracting: 1) The decor is at best, plastic modern. This seafood place looks like a fast food place! 2) The sound levels are extraordinarily loud. It's like the designers went out of their way to install sound bouncing materials. Too bad, because the food is nicely done. Finally, for a seafood place, the desserts are big and heavy. No one at our table finished their bread pudding or key lime/cheesecake because they were weighty and way too large. Desserts should be light to go with the fact that seafood is rarely heavy.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceDaveNBettyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Stuffed cod almost melted in my mouth. Fried shrimp nicely done with light batter. Our server, Samantha, was delightful and very attentive. The dining area is a large open room which feels a bit like a cafeteria. Some divisions and decorations would give a more intimate feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serenatDined on 8/5/2014Not my first time there and the food is excellent.Special Features:
- NoiselovefoodDined on 8/3/2014Noise level was higher than past visits. Decreased when 2 tables left and made it much more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is no shipwreck!!!!BarbVIPDined on 8/2/2014Outstanding food and service! We had no idea it's been open sinc last fall. My husband loved the mussels and stuffed cod. I had the salad with chicken. Yummiest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodClarkebarDined on 8/2/2014Grabbed Saturday brunch before going to see matinee performance of Cirque du Soleil's Amaluna at National Harbor. Meal was perfect and held us over until we got home around 7:30. I always get the Crab Benny, my wife the Shrimp & Grits and also the unlimited Mimosas. We are getting in there about once a week now. A good habit to have. We don't really eat out that much and prefer to go to places we consider special for one reason or another. Nantucket's Reef is our new special.Special Features:
- returnedSofiVIPDined on 8/1/2014Service/food continues to be excellent. Management was working to ensure food and drinks flowed smoothly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, good priceLBBBDined on 8/1/2014First time dining at Nan's Reef. True to name, décor redone in a nautical theme. Dining room noisy but tables far enough apart to be comfortable. Service attentive and prompt. They seem focused on making sure diners are happy. Table nearby sent back their mussels; new mussels came, and I think the restaurant also sent glasses of wine. We had a minor issue - my husband asked to skip the slaw and "throw in a few more fries". When the meal came with the slaw the server noticed, and next thing we know an entire (large) side of fries is delivered to the table. Fried oysters w/ sweet fries were great, calamari app was really good, and fish and chips was great. Too much fried food, but that was my own fault! We will return.Special Features:
- Refreshing Addition to CommunityEB33Dined on 7/26/2014I have been there twice now. Each time the " surf" was wonderful, fresh and perfectly cooked, but the "turf" needs work. Our service was great and the management was quick to apologize for, and comp, our over done steaks. I can't wait to try the brunch and late night happy hour. Going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.