9755 Traville Gateway Dr
Rockville, MD 20850Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nantucketsreef.com/
- Phone: 3012797333
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Weekend Brunch
A word from Nantucket's Reef
Nantucket’s Reef is a casual seafood restaurant with the perfect mix of top quality fresh food, unmatched hospitality, and a relaxing Nantucket ‘Cape Cod’ style and décor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nantucket's Reef reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (114)great for lunch (54)good for groups (52)great for outdoor dining (46)kid-friendly (45)fit for foodies (43)special occasion (31)great for brunch (30)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)romantic (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Okay, but slowJillyjillVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food was decent (fish tacos, shrimp tacos, veggies, apps) but the service was extremely slow. None of our food was hot/warm when it came out (after more than 40 minutes of waiting, we had to ask for them to check on it) and the sides we ordered were wrong--although they did bring them right out and they were hot and tasty. Our server (bartender, we always sit at the bar) was very pleasant and our drinks were good. I assume that on another night it would have been better, but this was a Wednesday and it was quite busy for the staff that was on hand. An unusually busy night is very difficult to predict! One other note: Happy hour ends *early* (for the area) at 6pm--so plan ahead if you want to take advantage!
- UnevenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Calamari and muscles as appetizers were superb House salad was excellent. Fried lobster tail it was an interesting twist the dish was not presented nicely though. Volcano special was inconsistent- Crab and mashed potatoes and sauce was excellent while the encircling steak was tough and too thin to be cooked to the doneness wanted. The salmon was uneventful. Shrimp scampi with excellent. Recommend trying the restaurant for locals but not worth traveling to from a distance.Special Features:
- food was good2468GreatDined on 8/11/2014Our food was fresh and well prepared. It is nice to have a place near Rockville where one can get fresh raw oysters. The dining areas are limited in decor and noisy. It is difficult to have a conversation without raising one's voice. Service was adequate, very formulaic.Special Features:
- Plastic ReefTasterDined on 8/10/2014The food is very good. Our entrees were carefully prepared and came as ordered. But, there are two features that are distracting: 1) The decor is at best, plastic modern. This seafood place looks like a fast food place! 2) The sound levels are extraordinarily loud. It's like the designers went out of their way to install sound bouncing materials. Too bad, because the food is nicely done. Finally, for a seafood place, the desserts are big and heavy. No one at our table finished their bread pudding or key lime/cheesecake because they were weighty and way too large. Desserts should be light to go with the fact that seafood is rarely heavy.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceDaveNBettyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Stuffed cod almost melted in my mouth. Fried shrimp nicely done with light batter. Our server, Samantha, was delightful and very attentive. The dining area is a large open room which feels a bit like a cafeteria. Some divisions and decorations would give a more intimate feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serenatDined on 8/5/2014Not my first time there and the food is excellent.Special Features:
- NoiselovefoodDined on 8/3/2014Noise level was higher than past visits. Decreased when 2 tables left and made it much more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is no shipwreck!!!!BarbVIPDined on 8/2/2014Outstanding food and service! We had no idea it's been open sinc last fall. My husband loved the mussels and stuffed cod. I had the salad with chicken. Yummiest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodClarkebarDined on 8/2/2014Grabbed Saturday brunch before going to see matinee performance of Cirque du Soleil's Amaluna at National Harbor. Meal was perfect and held us over until we got home around 7:30. I always get the Crab Benny, my wife the Shrimp & Grits and also the unlimited Mimosas. We are getting in there about once a week now. A good habit to have. We don't really eat out that much and prefer to go to places we consider special for one reason or another. Nantucket's Reef is our new special.Special Features:
- returnedSofiVIPDined on 8/1/2014Service/food continues to be excellent. Management was working to ensure food and drinks flowed smoothly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, good priceLBBBDined on 8/1/2014First time dining at Nan's Reef. True to name, décor redone in a nautical theme. Dining room noisy but tables far enough apart to be comfortable. Service attentive and prompt. They seem focused on making sure diners are happy. Table nearby sent back their mussels; new mussels came, and I think the restaurant also sent glasses of wine. We had a minor issue - my husband asked to skip the slaw and "throw in a few more fries". When the meal came with the slaw the server noticed, and next thing we know an entire (large) side of fries is delivered to the table. Fried oysters w/ sweet fries were great, calamari app was really good, and fish and chips was great. Too much fried food, but that was my own fault! We will return.Special Features:
- Refreshing Addition to CommunityEB33Dined on 7/26/2014I have been there twice now. Each time the " surf" was wonderful, fresh and perfectly cooked, but the "turf" needs work. Our service was great and the management was quick to apologize for, and comp, our over done steaks. I can't wait to try the brunch and late night happy hour. Going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ipswich Fried Clams!!Gooseman53Dined on 7/25/2014As an expat New Englander, I really appreciate this local treat. Even though there is no reef that belongs to Nantucket nor any town in MA spelled Ipswitch, they get it rignt with their seafood. The owner trained at Johnson & Wales in Providence and honed his taste for NE seafood over the years there. He works hard to get it right. The food is terrific and properly priced. Wait staff is well trained and attentive. The indoor atmosphere is open, light and relaxed. Outdoor seating is perfect for a comfortable summer evening. The menu is simple and that's a plus. They don't try to do everything, they do what they do well. My wife and I are regulars and we'll keep going back.Special Features:
- Fresh. Yum.AmberWavesDined on 7/23/2014Delicious seafood. Generous portions. Great sides. Authentic New England ... I wouldn't have guessed the owner is one of Maryland's own. Way to go, Steve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaroldDined on 7/20/2014A great place to go. We made reservations since it was a weekend and were seated upon arrival. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beach SeafoodLuvseafoodDined on 7/19/2014If you can't get to the beach to enjoy some of the most desirable boardwalk seafood you must try Nantucket Reef. With the feel of a Beachee seafood restaurant NS offers a variety of my favorites including a full raw bar with oysters and clams at reasonable prices. Entrees include fried oysters and clams, grilled scallops, stuffed shrimp and fish and chips along with sweet potato or regular straw fries and coleslaw.. I would not call it Gourmet but I would call it Comfort Seafood. The breading is light and everything is as fresh as you'd expect from eating at the beach. When it comes to appetizers try the Crab Dip. It is exceptional. BTW, to enhance the beachee atmosphere, most of the food is served in basket.Special Features:
- Firt VisitCinnamonVIPDined on 7/19/2014I decided to take my 82-year old friend to this restaurant for lunch. He is a foodie and we enjoy finding new places. The restaurant make a good first impression. Very nice Nantucket décor, high ceilings, super clean. I was disappointed in the lunch menu, however. A very limited selection. We ended up with Lobsta rolls, which were generously filled with lobster and came with corn on the cob and fries. The price was good at $19 for what we got, but not everyone wants to spend this much at lunch. The crab cake (one) is $28! We had a great glass of Sancerre with meal, bringing the tab to $84. Pretty pricey!
- love the placeCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great food at great prices. I don't know how they make money. Happy hour is the best around town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodHLDVDined on 7/15/2014It is clear that the chef is creative and the food is tasty. My fish tacos were nice looking although a little more fish in each taco would have been nice. The restaurant is convenient, free parking and local. The large room for dining needs to be warmed up-rather cool colors.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodNickDined on 7/13/2014Went for dinner on a Sunday evening. The food was well prepared and plentiful. I had the crab 'no' cakes which are two very large crab cakes of lump crab meat with little to no filler. I only ate one and took one home. Everyone at our table liked their food. The server was attentive and responsive. The negatives? Very loud. It was difficult to talk to someone two seats away. And I thought most of the dishes were too large and as a result the prices were also a bit high. They could offer some smaller dishes at lower prices. For example, I would have preferred to have a single crab cake instead of two.
- Great dinner fabulous BRUNCH!theresabarDined on 7/13/2014This was my first time having brunch at NR. It was great, I had the eggs benedict with crab - so good! I've been here for dinner but brunch was so yummy! I'm coming back to try the french toast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2014Excellent place for brunch - a variety of selections, very pleasant and attentive service. Debbie greeted us when we arrived, and checked on us during the meal. Our server answered all our questions and made menu recommendations. We will definitely return to this restaurant soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurprisejoandinesVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was my first time at Nantucket Reef. It was more casual that the restaurants previously in the same location. Everyone in our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed their meals. I must go back to try some of the other selections.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night specialLefty48Dined on 7/11/2014Very high noise level. Good food. Staff friendly. Young waitress Hannah was great. Could better on the other staff members.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice New England RestaurantCecilyDined on 7/10/2014Good solid New England style restaurant with your basic roadside stand seafood fare. Great place to take the kids when you need a uncomplicated seafood fix.Special Features:
- Seafood restaurant??SeafoodLoverDined on 7/9/2014Restaurant is spacious and comfortable. Service was adequate but not memorable. House wine was fine and priced well for happy hour. Quality of the dinner was somewhat disappointing. There are better seafood restaurants in the area which I would rate higher.
- Work celebration lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014My co-workers enjoyed a celebratory lunch at Nantucket Reef! The food was delicious and the service very good and speedy. We got back to the office with time to spare. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch just as good as DinnerClarkebarDined on 7/6/2014Our 2nd time in, my wife and I went for Sunday brunch and had a wonderful time. Our 2 Benedict selections of Shrimp and Gritcake for my wife and Crab Benny for myself were absolutely delicious. Unlimited Mimosas sealed the deal. Had a friendly table visit from the chef, Alberto, and a nice talk about recipes and creative cooking. Service from Dustin was excellent. This place is a gem. We plan to be regulars to the point that our perennial favorite, Ricciuti's, business may suffer a tad.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch ...JohnNPaulDined on 7/6/2014At 10:30 am on Sunday we expected the room to be bustling, but it was very quiet and we were seated immediately. Our server made some good suggestions. During the meal we didn't see much of our server; not even to offer refills on beverages. In my case I didn't want a refill ... I couldn't tell if the coffee was "old" or if it was just brewed especially strong, but one cup was more than enough for me. I could have said something, but quite honestly I didn't feel like flagging down our server. The meal itself was very fresh and served piping hot, we particularly enjoyed their play on the crab cake in almost every dish we ordered at the table. Reasonably priced and in our opinion worth a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/2014Service was mediocre at best. Waiter forgot our soup then brought it with the meal. Food was ok but not worth going back.
- Not quite what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Having read so many good reviews , we were surprised to find it empty for Sunday brunch. My son and husband were pleased with their steak benedicts and chicken sausage, but my daughter-in-law and I weren't so pleased with our choices, the salmon benedict and the Nantucket. The combination of sauces in the salmon benedict didn't work so well, and the Nantucket consisted primarily of potatoes, which were good, but way too many. Because we'd never been to the restaurant before, we'd like to have been able to order samples of various dishes rather than one selection. I'd hoped for toast with my breakfast, but there was none, nor did I see an option to order it separately. Service was slow. We may try it again for lunch or dinner.
- Will not go backkfluv2eatVIPDined on 6/26/2014Brought an out of town guest here on a Thursday night at 8:00. The lights were so bright, you almost needed sunglasses! I asked that they turn the lights down a bit, and about half an hour later they did. The food was ok, nothing special, and the service was slow. But the number one reason we will never go back is that while we were eating our meals, an employee swept the floor all around us! Not just once, but twice! Nothing had spilled, it should have waited until diners were not there. It felt like a McDonalds experience, only with exorbitant prices.
- Seafood galore!BellaDined on 6/25/2014I am a seafood (particularly oyster) addict! When I found this restaurant on Yelp I made a reservation for my birthday celebration. I couldn't have picked a better place! Cute and quaint we got seated immediately at their Captain's table. The server was very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu and had great suggestions when I would ask about the menu. The Oysters were some of the best I've had in the area! Overall I had a really great birthday dinner and I will definitely be back! NOTE: try the shrimp tacos!Special Features:
- Good Service and SeafoodbillgoDined on 6/23/2014We ate dinner on a Monday evening and were surprised to find it moderately full of diners. The decor is bright New England cottage style. The service was very good with attentive staff. The calamari was quite tasty with an unusual sauce we have not experienced elsewhere. The menu is somewhat limited in entrees but the food quality is good. The basket choices are nice in that you can mix and build the contents of the basket (fried shrimp, oysters and clams were good!) The french fries were tough shoestring type and had no seasoning. They.could do better with these. The stuffed cod was excellent and plentiful in portion size. Nice selection of beers on draft and good wine list. We will probably return again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to impressmollyVIPDined on 6/22/2014We frequent this place at least once to twice a month since it's so close to home. The food is consistently excellent. The service can be a little shotty but this time, we had an outstanding server. He was very attentive and anticipated our needs. He made excellent recommendations on what to try. I had the fish tacos and they were really good. My Husband had the chicken basket, which was also excellent. The mussels are always out of this world.Special Features:
- Repeat DinerRobbie62Dined on 6/22/2014Our 4th trip to Nantucket's Reef. Obviously we're very happy with the food, the presentation, and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sea foodmaggie13Dined on 6/22/2014Had lobster and the stuffed cod bith were excellent. Service was also excellent. Plan to go again soon. Close by and good for casual dining.Special Features:
- I wish them luck, butleesv1999Dined on 6/21/2014I'm certainly pulling for them, since all the previous restaurants in that building failed to make it, but we won't be back. I make reservations because my life is pretty tightly timed. But when we got there, our table wasn't ready and it wasn't ready for another half-hour. Also, I made a concerted effort to be seated in the backroom where it's a little quieter: both in my OpenTable reservation and I called that morning to confirm. But we got seated at a noisy table anyway. Food was poor to okay (tasteless fish and chips; over rich stuffed cod; dull rice pilaf). Food service was okay. While waiting for our table I talked to the bartender who told me about their inexpensive Sat and Sun brunch which sounded really good.
- Seafood gemClarkebarDined on 6/21/2014What a find! In the Upper Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Germantown greater area, there is precious little to choose from in terms of good seafood restaurants. My wife and I finally tried this place the other night and we are very glad we did. The overall noise level is a little higher than I might like in general but perfectly in tune with the place and the layout/design. Conversation at table was not an issue nor interaction with our wonderful server, Heather. I ordered the Stuffed Cod and my wife the 'No crabcakes. All food was just right in flavor and amount. We also split a side of Asparagus and my wife thoroughly enjoyed the 'small' house salad which was anything but small (and came in a bowl as she prefers). I know we will be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunFantasticDined on 6/19/2014Met friends for a quick lunch and it was very nice. I have been there once before and enjoyed both times. It is not a gourmet restaurant but certainly a very good one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.