146 E. 46th St.
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nanninyc.com/Default.aspx
- Phone: (212) 697-4161
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Silvo Sclano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Can accomodate up to 15 persons in the front room.
- Private Party Contact: Vittorio Miriel 2126974161
A word from Nanni Restaurant
Northern Italian cuisine, notably pasta with "Nannis sauce". Veal Sopressa, soft shell crabs, Branzini, and pasta with white truffles when in season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nanni Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (9)special occasion (8)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not a good experienceSusanVIPDined on 11/7/2014I have been to Nanni's many times over the years, but sadly, it seems to be going downhill. I asked for a table in the upper section because the lower section is so noisy. Although all of the tables in that section were available, we were not permitted to sit there (the host insisted that there were few guests expected and it would be quiet - but the place was packed and we had to shout to be heard). The wait staff was a bit rude and the service was sloppy - e.g., the soup was set down so abruptly it spilled (the waiter apologized, saying the bowl had been filled too full). The service remained unprofessional throughout the meal. The food was mediocre (the side vegetable appeared to be frozen peas). I won't be going back any time soon.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014Unbelievable. Make sure to get the Cheese and Supprasatta to start and the Nanni Pasta. Had their chicken cutlet in lemon, white wine and a drop of butter which was so tender you can cut it with a fork. Highly Reccomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabaBabaDined on 10/30/2014Food is always great but the noise level makes conversation almost impossible. It seems a favorite for large business- expense account dinners, who generate most of the noise. The restaurant has been around a long time and the acoustics are either ancient and therefore, probably non-existent. Also, we have yet to ever see a wine list. The wine we get is always the waiter's choice which sometimes is not what we want.If we go again, it's only for the wonderful food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Great food. . Small restaurant with great service and very good foodSpecial Features:
- GCT Area GemDRD41VIPDined on 10/25/2014We were very pleased with Nanni. We were in the vicinity of GCT and had to catch a 7 pm Metro North, so early dining was a necessity. The food was superb and the service almost too good (many seasoned staff hovering around). Even our normally finicky grandchildren (10 and 13) loved their pasta bolognese dishes. If we lived closer, Nanni would be a frequent destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreedomDined on 10/18/2014We were the last customers . I went to the washroom left my pashmina on the chair came back and it was gone. Maître d lied to me said my friends had it . They were outside and he locked the door on them I want answers you don't treat any customer like thatSpecial Features:
- old school ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a great dinner on Saturday night! We ordered the pasta Nanni as appetizer, I had chicken & peppers dish, my husband had the chicken special and enjoyed a bottle of Chianti. We would definitely recommend this restaurant, and we will be back next time we are back in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time visitPeetieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Delighted with the service and the food. The experience is like visiting a friend, an old favorite friend. Would go again when in NY.Special Features:
- A disappointmentdinerDined on 10/9/2014Nothing impressive. It was just o k. Waiter was not much help in selecting the right dish. Food was just so so. Think they are banking on their past reputation which means nothing today
- Cons1VIPDined on 9/23/2014where have the good waiters gone? I haven't been here in years but when recently and was very disappointed in the service. I had ordered a pasta appetizer and they gave me the wrong pasta, when I pointed it out to the waiter he said "tough, eat this" and didn't change it with the correct order......although the food was good, I will never go there again.
- Italian in midtownLeeDVIPDined on 9/23/2014Nanni's is largely unchanged after years in the same midtown location. Very friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nanni'sEva2510Dined on 9/18/2014Recommended by my brother who has been here several times, my husband and I made a reservation for a special dinner. It would be our last night in NYC after 14 days. Nanni's is everything my brother already said: good food, good wine (except I as a woman was not involved by the decision, my husband had to decide.....bit oldfashioned), but very good serving (with humor). We liked the atmosphere and when we come back to NYC we will certainly go back to Nanni's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated!Okla2NolaVIPDined on 9/17/2014We had a reservation but still had to wait 15 minutes for our table but the party of 5 that came in after was seated immediately. Our table was almost in an aisle way so waiters had to lift trays over our heads. Service was horrible. Noise level was off the charts & food was just ok...nothing special. Not sure why it received such a high score by Zagat.
- Old School Italian feel, Good FoodCoreDined on 8/7/2014I have been to Nanni on several occasions. The food is consistently good and the service is good. Going in you have to expect server suggestions and also ask their opinion on dishes, they are very helpful. I was with 2 business associates who can be very judgmental about restaurants (Italian in particular) and they were very happy with their meals. The location is small and subterranean, but it is well lit and does not feel cramped. You are going to Nanni for the food, not for the view. I would suggest ordering the specials, the veal and the gnocchi very good. Most dishes are not red sauce heavy Italian style, unless that is what you want.Special Features:
- The following 75 reviews are from the Nanni Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great old ItalianScottTNCDined on 7/21/2014The service was very good, with the waiters all speaking to each other in Italian. The food was excellent, with the waiter making a great recommendation.Special Features:
- Nanni No MasMudmanVIPDined on 7/9/2014I reserved Nanni because it was convenient to a meeting site-I had not been there for a number of years-needless to say I will not return-the restaurant was pretty empty when we arrived-there were 3 VERY old waiters who couldn't decide who wanted to wait on us-so none of them did! This comedy of errors continued-with one waiter taking our order and another returning to take our order -this despite the fact the place was empty. I ordered a house Chianti-it was undrinkable-I substituted a pinot Grigio which was OK-they did not charge for the Chianti-which was the high point of the evening. The food was passible-nothing extraordinary-tourist trap list.
- A ClassicbiztrpDined on 6/19/2014As might be expected, this long standing Italian favorite was strong on the food and wine. The setting is predictably tight & noisy. Definitely keep it on the list for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing Italian!CarrieCanEatDined on 6/17/2014Nice place, great waitstaff, authentic AMAZING FOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatdeandaDined on 6/11/2014I eat a lot in Manhattan ant some great restaurants. But, time in time out, Nanni's always delivers. Quality Italian in a great old school atmosphere. Not a red sauce joint, but not a small portion "gourmet" Italian. Always highest quality.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedJc1035Dined on 5/28/2014First time there and enjoyed Ninna's food and service. Cozy and warm suitable for all occasions. My girlfriends and I liked this restaurant a lot. Definitely will go back the second time.Special Features:
- Friendly and family likemaanosukeDined on 5/12/2014I've been Nanni for more that 15 years and they still keep the style and tastes. Once accustomed, I like this family style restaurant very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous Italian FoodpickyeaterDined on 5/1/2014This restaurant was a gem. It has old world charm with fabulous service. The food was delicious and there were amny choices on the menu that I like. I am a picky eater and it was hard to decide!Special Features:
- Nanni's waass greatmikez1VIPDined on 4/23/2014We were 4 people who went to Nanni's last wed night. Three of us ordered the pasta with Nanni sauce it was excellent, Tagliatelle and Ravioli. the rest of the meal was very enjoyable and tasty. I have been going on and off for years its always very goodSpecial Features:
- Great foodVinceVIPDined on 4/21/2014Had a great birthday experience at Nanni. The waiters gave us first class treatment and the food was outstanding. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Better options in the areaJimboDined on 4/11/2014Have had a couple of good lunches at Nanni so was a little disappointed with the dinner service. While the kitchen can produce some good dishes, the way too bright lights and indifferent service detracted from the experience.
- Old schoolracecarproVIPDined on 4/9/2014Service was quick and lets get to it. Men 90% Women 10%Special Features:
- Nanni's sauce a must!YummyVIPDined on 4/1/2014The Nanni's sauce on any pasta as an appetizer is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in ManhattanGTownBoyVIPDined on 3/22/2014Authentic trattoria locaed on E 46th Street. I've eaten here for years. Love it and as close to how my Italian Mom would cook. Try the penne aribiata if you like spicy food. The bruchetta also filled with divine garlic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, service andTrixieVIPDined on 3/18/2014Fabulous food, service and atmosphere! We loved it!!Special Features:
- Cute environment, food only okayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/20/2014The parpadelle was not a light and tasty as expected. The veal with eggplant parmigian was quite good. The service was lovely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ConsistentALEMANDined on 2/18/2014Whether a business luncheon or a leisurely dinner, the food is consistently good and the service very attentive. And yes, the tomato sauce is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open table took the res, butWhatsthepointDined on 2/17/2014The restaurant was closed. Thanks for nothing, open table.
- Check the Health Inspection HistoryNeighborVIPDined on 2/12/2014Possibly the worst restaurant I have dined at in New York. Loud to the point of having to almost yell to be heard across the table. Food was mediocre at best. Fish was undercooked, vegetables had the consistency of chalk, salad was just a small plate of lettuce. The waiter was "too friendly" with my female guests to the point they were uncomfortable. After lunch one of my guests checked the New York health inspection history and it was very poor. I am embarrassed to have chosen Nanni's
- Hidden GemJimboDined on 1/22/2014Although Nanni has been around forever, it remains less well known than many of the other Italian restaurants in the area. I'd like to see it stay that way as the under-the-radar dining experience is part of the charm. It's old-school style and it's good food.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood jointpswbtrDined on 1/16/2014Great little Italian restaurant - wondeful service. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent ItaliangitalianDined on 1/15/2014Great Italian resturaunt. Small, excellent pasta and good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmileandrewDined on 1/15/2014The waiters need to be reminded that sincere, pleasant customer service is as important as the food. One of our waiters just grunted. The ancillary service people were far more pleasant.
- Good ol' fashion New York4NewYorkVIPDined on 1/15/2014Our first time visit was for lunch. Good "old fashion New York" restaurant. Our waiter has been in his profession a very long time. So professional and helpful with detailed descriptions and lots of patience. Upon asking for suggestions for salads/sides, his asking about "flavors" we might like or dislike, his response..."I'll take care of it." What arrived were custom built dishes for each of us. We tried three different pastas; all wonderfully al dente; all delicious. The very small restaurant and popularity at lunch time results in the place being quite loud, but I can and will pass on that and look forward to returning. Next visit will be for dinner...but will return for lunch also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service so bad and rude..turnedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/26/2013Service so bad and rude..turned me off so much i couldn't even order food
- Cozy ItalianJerryDined on 12/13/2013The restaurant is nice and small. It makes the dining experience feel more special. All of the food was very good, and the wines were very nice for the price. Great selection of food available. I can't see having a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.