2514 University Dr
Durham, NC 27707Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nanasdurham.com/
- Phone: (919) 493-8545
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm until
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Southern
- Executive Chef: Scott Howell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: minimal, usually only for very regular customers
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant and intimate private dining rooms available for hosting your event. Please contact our private dining coordinator for details and to book your next business or celebratory event.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Weddington 9194938545
- Special Events: Chef Scott Howell frequently hosts wine dinners and cooking classes at the restaurant. Please visit nanasdurham.com for event dates and details
A word from Nana's Restaurant
The restaurant is very local in feeling, a lot of repeat customers. Cuisine is American Regional with French and Italian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Nana's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Nana's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)special occasion (93)neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (54)romantic (52)hot spot (17)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Nana's Food and ServiceCmmarquDined on 11/21/2014Two points on Nana's 1) The food is heavenly here. One of the top meals I have ever had in a restaurant. The ingredients were extremely fresh and unique. Additionally, they were cooked perfectly. 2) Yes you can get a good meal at many locations in Durham/The Triangle but what I think really stands out at Nana's is there service. Everyone from the manager to the waitress to the valet and hostess were top-notch. That is what truly stood out to me. Definitely 5-stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014I had been to Nana's once or twice when my company had been interviewing but I hadn't been there in a long while and it was my wife's first visit. We were in a smaller middle room, a corner table. It was a little noisy and you sit close to your neighbors. The service is impeccable, respectful and helpful. Things move a little more slowly here the food took a while to arrive but it was well worth waiting for. I had a simple soup (it was very cold outside) while my wife had a wild boar shank in pasta appetiser. Both were excellent though I wished I had been more adventurous in my appetiser as there were many interesting choices. Entrees were excellent as well steak and venison neautifully cooked, the sweet potato side was also really good, crunchy and flavored with cheese. My wife is a baker so the desserts have to be good to impress her and both apple crostada and pears in wine sauce passed with flying colors. A very memorable meal and a fitting place to commemorate our 20th wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014A great evening celebrating Mom's birthday! We all enjoyed the tasting menu and wine paring. The flounder was excellent as was the slow cooked beef short rib. Amazing food! Service was outstanding. It was a busy Wednesday evening and we will be returning in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad2bHereVIPDined on 11/19/2014excellent foo- we had swordfish steak which was prepared perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Flounder, Ribeye, and Duck were all very good. I was especially impressed with the Flounder. Would highly recommend this restaraunt for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarciDined on 11/15/2014We live in Richmond, and we were introduced to Nana's by a friend several years ago. Whenever we make plans to visit the area, we make a dinner reservation at Nana's and we are never disappointed. Great food and service! Wish Scott had a restaurant in Richmond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemFoodieDined on 11/12/2014Great food sourced from local ingredients. Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavor combinationsIloveDurhamDined on 11/7/2014My husband had the venison and sweet potato-plum side. He said it was the best meal he's ever had. We went back a second time two weeks later hoping the venison was still on the menu, and lucky us, it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good and interestingCarolinaBeckyVIPDined on 11/6/2014For over 20 years Nana's has been my husband's favorite place in the Triangle region of NC. Other excellent and touted restaurants have arrived in that time but Nana's has continued to offer a dining experience that is excellent after having been one of the restaurants years ago that set a higher standard in the Triangle. The menu continues to evolve, to use locally sourced food and to be interesting without being absurd. The service is always excellent, the wine list is outstanding and the meal always well executed.This description may sound like I'm saying it's reliable (faint praise) but what I"m really saying is you're never disappointed.Special Features:
- Spot on CelebrationCeleFoodDined on 11/3/2014We selected this as a celebration spot for my wife's graduation. It was a treat that we'll keep in mind for a long time to come. The chef's sampler was fantastic and the wine pairings were quite fitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointingJohnCDined on 11/3/2014For all the hype we've heard regarding Nana's, we were very disappointed. While our servers were good, that was probably the most impressive part of dinner. I had a cast iron chicken where the chicken was slightly overcooked and stringy. The root vegetables were undercooked and hard. While my wife's pork chop was good, it was probably the best part of her meal. She was totally underwhelmed by her dinner. We won't be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- tarheelmendiDined on 10/29/2014I have had several meals here. My favorite is still the chicken. On my last visit I tried the grilled pork chop. It was a beautiful thick chop; however, it was tough. It was not overcooked, so I'm not sure why it was not tender. I asked to have it served with the vegetable combination from another meal, which the kitchen has done a couple of times. The collards and sweet potato gratin were excellent. The service was perfect as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really delicious dinnerwineandineVIPDined on 10/22/2014Interesting and delicious menu with a variety of choices. Beautifully presented food with outstanding service. Impressive wine list.Special Features:
- wonderful!rheakatDined on 10/17/2014We had a delightful 5 year anniversary dinner here!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningT2SPVIPDined on 10/17/2014Nana's continues to provide excellent service, amazing dishes and interesting wines. Delicious seafood, delicate sauces and generous portions always await.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014We requested a table away from the bar and kitchen when making our reservation and were very pleased with our warm welcome and the table selected. The service was Exceptional as Always! I have been several times over the years but the food has not always been consistent but tonight our expectations were completely met and beyond. The Grilled Venison Loin with Collard Greens & Balsamic Onions with Sweet Potato/Plum Gratin finished with Smoked Bacon Vodka Sauce was delicious! It was a Perfect Dining Experience!Special Features:
- Some hits, some missesCjonesVIPDined on 10/17/2014Overall the meal was just okay. Some of the courses like the lox, risotto were good. The short rib raviolis, focaccia and the dessert missed the mark. I wanted to love it but don't think I'd go back.Special Features:
- Second time not as greatAnniversaryDined on 10/14/2014This was our second time dining at Nana's and it left much to be desired. They sat our two person table along a wall between two four person tables. Needless to say we couldn't hear each other. After our first visit we would have said that it was our favorite restaurant, and while the food was still good it didnt campare to the first time and it was not good enough to keep that title.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything people said it would beFloridaBoyDined on 10/14/2014The menu was creative and regionally/seasonally driven, and the food lived up to the billing. Our server was competent but a tad aloof, but others on the staff were friendly and helpful. Valet parking was a nice and perhaps necessary touch, given the location.Special Features:
- Friendly and helpful wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Food was very good a little pricey for the portion sizeSpecial Features:
- A gem in Durham, NCGo2niteDined on 10/11/2014We arrived at 6:30pm and were seated immediately. Our waiter asked about drinks (our friend ordered a bottle of wine) and he explained the specials for the evening. We had two appetizers, the pate and risotto which were delicious. Two of us ordered the salmon, one had the veal loin and one had the roaste d flounder. All agreed each choice was fantastic; the presentation and flavor were "spot on". We had the crostata and creme brûlée for dessert. All in all a superb evening of fine dining. Nana's is expensive but worth it for a special occasion. This was our first visit and we will return. It was a bit noisy but quieted down when everyone in the restaurant was eating!Special Features:
- NancyDined on 10/7/2014Nana's is a lovely place for a meal. It was our first time there. I liked linens on the table. The homemade facacchio bread was Delicious. We ordered 2 appetizers and 1 entree. The wild mushroom soup was delicious. The chili Rolenno was good but it was supposed to have grilled duck inside it and if it was there, I couldn't taste it. We shared a lovely, large chunk of fresh grilled tuna. It was cooked the way we asked for ît and was excellent. The service was spot on but as the place filled it did get a bit noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/6/2014Our first time to Nana's and it did not disappoint! Great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up to & Beyond PardurhamgalDined on 10/2/2014Glorious food, surrounded by vibrant paintings and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu and Service SuperbMelerskiDined on 9/22/2014The menu was delightful, but not really geared to a vegetarian. Beautiful on the menu and when served. Waiter was extremely knowledgeable and very quick to recommend his favorites and answer any questions.Special Features:
- Was Expecting MoreRJSDurhamDined on 9/20/2014I went here before a show at DPAC and had the tasting menu. The service was excellent, but the food just wasn't very inspiring or as flavorful and good as I was expecting based on previous reviews and articles in local media. The food seem cooked properly and was nicely arranged, the flavors just weren't there or didn't work well together. I might go back, but for the price I think I'd rather go back to Ruth Chris, Vin Rouge, or Revolution. This place was just average.
- Nana's a Perrenial FavoriterfgabDined on 9/19/2014You cannot go wrong dining at Nana's. The duck "rellano" was a great start. My veal was like butter. My wife's duck entrée was enticing. If there is a complaint it's that we were seated next to the kitchen door. Now while we understand that someone has to sit next to the kitchen door there were other 2 tops available when we showed up on time for our reservation. One has to question whether the kitchen door 2 top is reserved for Open Table reservations. I also note when using OPen Table that there is never a table available at 7:00 pm. I will continue to dine at Nana's. I'm not sure I will continue to use Open Table for reservations.Special Features:
- Mid Week GetawayTAC49VIPDined on 9/17/2014Our party of four dined here on Wednesday, Sept. 17th. The restaurant is indeed very good and did not disappoint. Is it as good as people say...maybe...probably depends on the night. The service is very good, attentive but at times may seem a little slow. Bread choices were limited to two. Crab cake, short rib and pate' starters were all excellent. The flank steak and rack of lamb entrees were very good but the pork chop was not nearly as good. Blackberry and peach desserts were also very good. This was a very good dining experience and we will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HtaylorDined on 9/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Nana's. The unique combinations were delicious, cooked to perfection and portions were just right. Wonderful wine by the glass as well.Special Features:
- Plan ahead - have a wonderful mealJudyNovemberDined on 9/5/2014We had an excellent meal and superior service. This place is very popular, so make reservations well in advance.Special Features:
- Anna's is great!KarenVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had the steak special, as well as the steak on the menu, and one person had the fish. We had different appetizers also, from their heirloom tomato salad to the shrimp risotto. All fabulous, done perfectly, and accommodating to one party's food sensitivities. Brian was a fabulous waiter. All was great.Special Features:
- Quite specialRefinedine1Dined on 9/5/2014Nanas was truly a good choice for a special anniversary dinner. The wait staff was very attentive without being intrusive and made great recommendations on food and wine. Our meal was wonderful from start to finish. The ambience was quite nice and the sound level quiet so we could enjoy a relaxing evening. We definitely would say it is a special find and priced fairly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a date2cool4schoolDined on 9/4/2014I don't have much to say other than the food was incredible, and the service was excellent. I would most definitely return here for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Always wonderfuldestinationdinerDined on 8/30/2014Nana's is my go-to place. I have never had a disappointing dish, I have enjoyed each time the wine pairings suggested by our waiter, and always bring out of town guests to this gem of a place.Special Features:
- Excellent Menu, Quite Good OverallCaptainDaveDined on 8/30/2014I had not been to Nana's for close to a decade, and both the food and the overall experience were better than I recall. Nana’s appeared to be very well managed with an attentive wait staff. Everything ran smoothly, from the valet parking to the frequent topping off of our glasses. I am a big fan of risotto, and the appetizer featured a pleasing blend of crisp vegetables and light, succulent North Carolina shrimp. My wife enjoyed the heirloom tomato salad which also presented well. We had the Kobe flank steak and the venison for our entrees and both were excellent, with the choices of sides (much of which was local produce) and sauces complimenting the meat. I expect we will be back much sooner next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Odd service.JMT0000Dined on 8/27/2014Everything on the tasting menu was incredible -- rich, hearty flavors, big portions, fresh and interesting. Ambiance seemed conflicted between fancy and casual; service as well. Not elegant fine dining but also not relaxed and casual. Made for an uncomfortable experience. Tables too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always try the risottolunchproVIPDined on 8/27/2014It changes regularly and is a specialty at Nana's. Delicious every time and I am always pleased that I order it!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceIris117Dined on 8/22/2014Food is great! So is the service. Duck breast is a little overcooked. The whole fish is highly recommended. Cantaloupe sorbet is a surprise, very refreshing!Special Features:
- Did not disappoint!MissBlushDined on 8/20/2014My boyfriend and I had high expectations in Nana's and it did not disappoint. We ordered the Chef's tasting menu and each dish was delectable. The flavors of each course always impressed us and we never gave back anything but an empty plate. The service was considerate and friendly. We would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nana's was excellent!durhamdinersDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Nana's on a Tuesday night. The only open reservation was early, so we went at 5:30. We chose the tasting menu, and the food and drinks were outstanding! The only problem was the excessive wait between courses. Normally this wouldn't bother us, we would just sit and enjoy the evening, but unfortunately my husband recently had back surgery. He had to get up several times between each course to walk around the room. (It did allow him to peek at other diners' meals and the bar scene!) Two and a half hours later he was extremely tired and ready to go when dessert was finally served. Still, wouldn't hesitate to return or to recommend to other diners! Probably our best meal in Durham yet.Special Features: