2514 University Dr
Durham, NC 27707Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nanasdurham.com/
- Phone: 9194938545
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm until
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Southern
- Executive Chef: Scott Howell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: minimal, usually only for very regular customers
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant and intimate private dining rooms available for hosting your event. Please contact our private dining coordinator for details and to book your next business or celebratory event.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Weddington 9194938545
- Special Events: Chef Scott Howell frequently hosts wine dinners and cooking classes at the restaurant. Please visit nanasdurham.com for event dates and details
A word from Nana's Restaurant
The restaurant is very local in feeling, a lot of repeat customers. Cuisine is American Regional with French and Italian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Nana's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Nana's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (81)fit for foodies (80)romantic (47)notable wine list (45)neighborhood gem (37)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (9)Show More
- Excellent Menu, Quite Good OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014I had not been to Nana's for close to a decade, and both the food and the overall experience were better than I recall. Nana’s appeared to be very well managed with an attentive wait staff. Everything ran smoothly, from the valet parking to the frequent topping off of our glasses. I am a big fan of risotto, and the appetizer featured a pleasing blend of crisp vegetables and light, succulent North Carolina shrimp. My wife enjoyed the heirloom tomato salad which also presented well. We had the Kobe flank steak and the venison for our entrees and both were excellent, with the choices of sides (much of which was local produce) and sauces complimenting the meat. I expect we will be back much sooner next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Odd service.JMT0000Dined on 8/27/2014Everything on the tasting menu was incredible -- rich, hearty flavors, big portions, fresh and interesting. Ambiance seemed conflicted between fancy and casual; service as well. Not elegant fine dining but also not relaxed and casual. Made for an uncomfortable experience. Tables too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always try the risottolunchproVIPDined on 8/27/2014It changes regularly and is a specialty at Nana's. Delicious every time and I am always pleased that I order it!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceIris117Dined on 8/22/2014Food is great! So is the service. Duck breast is a little overcooked. The whole fish is highly recommended. Cantaloupe sorbet is a surprise, very refreshing!Special Features:
- Did not disappoint!MissBlushDined on 8/20/2014My boyfriend and I had high expectations in Nana's and it did not disappoint. We ordered the Chef's tasting menu and each dish was delectable. The flavors of each course always impressed us and we never gave back anything but an empty plate. The service was considerate and friendly. We would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nana's was excellent!durhamdinersDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Nana's on a Tuesday night. The only open reservation was early, so we went at 5:30. We chose the tasting menu, and the food and drinks were outstanding! The only problem was the excessive wait between courses. Normally this wouldn't bother us, we would just sit and enjoy the evening, but unfortunately my husband recently had back surgery. He had to get up several times between each course to walk around the room. (It did allow him to peek at other diners' meals and the bar scene!) Two and a half hours later he was extremely tired and ready to go when dessert was finally served. Still, wouldn't hesitate to return or to recommend to other diners! Probably our best meal in Durham yet.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinner at Nana'smarch4madnessDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a high food quality dinner suitable for a birthday celebration for my wife, and also suitable to include my college-age son (not too romantic or stuffy, or too much of a bar scene). Nana's did not disappoint! We love the food, service, and ambience, and look forward to our next dinner there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I hosted a group of five. It was a completely lovely experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experience.durhamdinerDined on 8/11/2014The food at Nana's is delicious. The wait staff are nice, attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu. Nana's rises to the top of local restaurants with unique and flavorful starters, main dishes and desserts. It's the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Love Nana'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Creative menu with some unexpected combinations. Really good food. Excellent, friendly and attentive service. Overall, a definite winner.Special Features:
- Good Food/Service, Bad ambianceZombobDined on 8/9/2014Once again the food and service were great, and once again we sat next to the kitchen/supplies shelf. It is very distracting as one is trying to hold a conversation when you have servers squeezing behind diners trying to get suppliers, as well as in and out of the kitchen. Move the tables a bit and add a curtain or wall.Special Features:
- Very AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Had heard this was an iconic restaurant in the area and was excited to check it out. My expectations were set way too high. Food was good, but not great; I would coin as a neighborhood restaurant, and not the more "famed" type restaurant I heard it to be. Was very disappointed in the hostess that seated us - a very young girl, who I did not feel really understood our needs of trying to select a table for privacy, which at 6pm and half the restaurant empty should have been a problem. She seated us first, by a group of people, followed by the next choice, right by the kitchen door!Special Features:
- VibrantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014I've been to Nana's a few times. The best thing about Nana's is the food! The service is fairly good, but the place is rather small ..., so no matter what you do it is rather intimate. The "smallness" of the place along with your proximity to your fellow diners tends to make the place a little noisy and loud. The place gets packed and they make the most of the space that they have and I guess that is part of being a popular dining destination. The menu changes pretty much monthly so you do get a change up pretty routinely so that you don't get tired of the food. Despite the noise, we are there for the food and that trumps pretty much everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return tripBillDined on 8/2/2014We have been customers for a long time. Now mostly for special occasions. The last four years for our anniversary. Tasting menus are phenomenal and waiters always pair great wines . Warren did a great job .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Our birthday celebration dinner was simply delicious! Nana's was recommended by a friend and they did not disappoint. The food was thoughtfully prepared with delicious locally sourced ingredients. The heirloom tomato and corn salad tasted straight from the garden only better. The blueberry crumble with cantaloupe sorbet was such a burst of flavor. We truly appreciated the servers' attention to pleasing us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 01 Aug 2014 Nana's DinnerSamosaDined on 8/1/2014Me and the redheads went out for the birthday dinner of the senior redhead (Mom). Split an appetizer of corn and shrimp chowder that was frankly underwhelming. You know how you sometimes make a soup and it comes out bland...like instead of tasting like some rich whole, it tastes like the component parts...like some cream heated up with some corn and some shrimp thrown in? It was like that. Senior redhead had the duck cooked in a skillet entree...that was quite good. I had the halibut, but like the soup, it seemed wanting for flavor a bit. Junior redhead had the appetizer farfalle with rabbit, which both of them liked quite a bit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal & Service in DurhamgarciauncVIPDined on 7/31/2014Without a doubt, the best meal and service in Durham.Special Features:
- Never disappointsCJ03Dined on 7/31/2014We have been dining at Nana's for 12+ years but hadn't been there in a long while. Our server was wonderful and knowledgable and the food was fantastic. I usually order the risotto as an appetizer but decided to try the gnocchi in mushroom broth and it may be my new favorite-so full of flavor but not as filling as the risotto. I ordered the halibut for my entree and it was perfectly seasoned. Once again, Nana's never disappoints me and always provides my with a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An traditional favoriteKeithDined on 7/30/2014I was told about Nana's when I visited the Raleigh area and scheduled a reservation. Parking is valet and complimentary although I did not see the sign in time and parked up the street in a small residential street. The Manhattan special is unique and worth a bourbon fans trial. I was alone and ordered the tomato appetizer and the duck. Both were exceptional with the duck being served at perfect temperature and the sauce was spectacular. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014An excellent overall experience! Great Food, presented well, and excellent service.Special Features:
- Consistently good over the years...FoodMemoDined on 7/28/2014One of the top 5 restaurants in the triangle consistently over the last decade.Special Features:
- ConsistentlySerenDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and service. Their dedication to available fresh ingredients shows in their menu.Special Features:
- One of the bestNCVFD253Dined on 7/25/2014Understanding Nana's is well known in the Triangle it lived up to its reputation in every way as to food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Doesn't disappointBurp1Dined on 7/24/2014Been here twice and we'll keep coming back. Everything we ordered was delish. We were a party of four and everyone raved about their choices. The salmon, halibut, pork chop and venison were all perfectly prepared. Our party has all dined all over the world and this restaurant is a notable find in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for an important dinnerJoshDined on 7/23/2014I've had dinner at Nana's with my wife, alone a couple of times and with work colleagues a couple of times. In both instances it has excelled at providing great food and a great ambiance for the evening.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014We recently ate at Nana's for the first time and had a wonderful dining experience. The food was thoughtfully prepared, beautifully plated and delicious. I would highly recommend the tuna carpaccio, heirloom tomato platter and risotto as appetizer... yummy goodness!!! The filet wrapped in bacon was like a little bit of heaven on earth!Special Features:
- Just perfectScootieDined on 7/19/2014I have to say this was the first time that we've been to Nanas, it was perfect from start to finish!Special Features:
- Nana's is GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014This was our first visit to Nana's and it was everything we had heard. We enjoyed our anniversary dinner immensely and will definitely return.Special Features:
- BillVIPDined on 7/18/2014Our servers were very attentive and helpful with suggestions on wine and food. The food was excellent and plentiful. We enjoyed the dinner very much and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2ofusDined on 7/18/2014Meeting a friend for a leasurely dinner, we were given a very nice table, and our waiter took our drink order minutes after we sat down. Our drinks came and we then decided on a couple of small plates to start with while we chatted. No sooner had we started in to taste our food when the waiter came by again and asked if we had made a choice for our meal; we have now been sitting all of 23 minutes. When we said we hadn't really looked enough to decide he looked bothered by that. My friend asked if he was in a hurry because we weren't and we planned on being here for awhile. BTW the dining rooms had plenty of open seats for anyone who may come in. He got the idea of how we felt from the size of his tip.Special Features:
- SPOT ON!FamOfFiveVIPDined on 7/15/2014We hadn't been back to Nana's in a while, and now we've been twice in 3 weeks. On both occasions the menus were chock full of tempting offerings. It was very difficult to make decisions, but when your aided by a staff that is so well informed it certainly helps. For a time (a while back) I thought that Scott had lost his mojo. Given our experiences on our last 2 visits, his mojo is in top form! Give Nana's a try if you're looking for an exceptional dining experiece...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentfoodiefavoriteDined on 7/14/2014Nana's once again delivered a wonderful dining experience. We always think of Nana's for special occasions or a foodie fix.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal, Great Servicefpan80Dined on 7/12/2014Went to Nana's for the first time, recommended by friends. Excellent, creative meals - great ambiance and service. Very personable & knowledgeable staff. Will definitely go back and highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of California dining...DelightedDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014...and it is here in our own back yard. We could dine here everyday. This is the best of NC dining. Creative, perfection - served by the best staff around. Love, love Nana's.Special Features:
- Condescending waiter.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Rude and Condescending waiter ruined what could have otherwise been a very enjoyable meal. We will not be returning anytime soon.
- Wonderful restaurantdestinationdinerDined on 7/5/2014I love Nana's. We have always had wonderful meals there, and great times. The tables are a bit close together, and the noise level in the back room is always too high for me, but otherwise it continues to be our favorite area restaurant, and we have been many times. They surprise with dishes such as watermelon soup with crab and do the standards to perfection.Special Features:
- Outstanding eveningTgm4bonesVIPDined on 7/3/2014Food and service were equally stellar. Took our daughter here for celebratory dinner and will definitely be back. Food sumptuous and inventive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining at Nana'stime2dineDined on 7/3/2014Nana's service was highly appreciated with helpful recommendations and friendly, non-intrusive, conversation throughout the meal. The appetizers included the Heirloom tomato salad and Tuna Carpaccio and were a perfect start for the meal. The variety of tomatoes in the salad added interest and combined well with the fresh local mozzarella. The Tuna Carpaccio had wonderful ginger and sesame flavors that all melted in your mouth. It was difficult to choose from all the entrees since the descriptions on the daily menu were enticing, but we selected the Grilled Mahi Mahi and the Swordfish. Both were outstanding, but I give the edge to the Swordfish as my favorite. Our dessert was a delicious Apricot and Blackberry Crostata -- worth every bite.Special Features:
- A Solid "Nice" Dinnerfoodreview1024Dined on 6/28/2014Nana's has the basics covered: tasty, well executed dishes with prompt and friendly service. It is "finer" dining in a casual atmosphere. I thought the price point was reasonable relative to the quality of the experience, but it is going to be significantly more expensive than its neighbors, Nana Taco and Q-Shack. The most similar dining experience I have had in the area is Elaine's in Chapel Hill, though Nana's is quieter and more refined.Special Features:
- Great Evening at Nana'sStapyDined on 6/28/2014Had a wonderful time at Nana's! Celebrated my birthday with family--two members had never been to Nana's before. The meal did not disappoint. Delicious drinks with a fabulous appetizer of fried green tomatoes that melted in your mouth with an explosion of flavors. Entrees were equally perfect. The swordfish was extraordinary and another diner raved about the rib eye. My son loved the cucumber soup and the parpadelle small plate with veal. For dessert, blueberry croustade with honey ice cream was to die for, and the creme brûlée was excellent as always. You can't go wrong at Nana's for a special meal anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.