2514 University Dr
Durham, NC 27707Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nanasdurham.com/
- Phone: 9194938545
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm until
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Southern
- Executive Chef: Scott Howell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: minimal, usually only for very regular customers
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant and intimate private dining rooms available for hosting your event. Please contact our private dining coordinator for details and to book your next business or celebratory event.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Weddington 9194938545
- Special Events: Chef Scott Howell frequently hosts wine dinners and cooking classes at the restaurant. Please visit nanasdurham.com for event dates and details
A word from Nana's Restaurant
The restaurant is very local in feeling, a lot of repeat customers. Cuisine is American Regional with French and Italian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Nana's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Nana's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (55)romantic (54)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (12)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Really delicious dinnerwineandineVIPDined on 10/22/2014Interesting and delicious menu with a variety of choices. Beautifully presented food with outstanding service. Impressive wine list.Special Features:
- wonderful!rheakatDined on 10/17/2014We had a delightful 5 year anniversary dinner here!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningT2SPVIPDined on 10/17/2014Nana's continues to provide excellent service, amazing dishes and interesting wines. Delicious seafood, delicate sauces and generous portions always await.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014We requested a table away from the bar and kitchen when making our reservation and were very pleased with our warm welcome and the table selected. The service was Exceptional as Always! I have been several times over the years but the food has not always been consistent but tonight our expectations were completely met and beyond. The Grilled Venison Loin with Collard Greens & Balsamic Onions with Sweet Potato/Plum Gratin finished with Smoked Bacon Vodka Sauce was delicious! It was a Perfect Dining Experience!Special Features:
- Some hits, some missesCjonesVIPDined on 10/17/2014Overall the meal was just okay. Some of the courses like the lox, risotto were good. The short rib raviolis, focaccia and the dessert missed the mark. I wanted to love it but don't think I'd go back.Special Features:
- Second time not as greatAnniversaryDined on 10/14/2014This was our second time dining at Nana's and it left much to be desired. They sat our two person table along a wall between two four person tables. Needless to say we couldn't hear each other. After our first visit we would have said that it was our favorite restaurant, and while the food was still good it didnt campare to the first time and it was not good enough to keep that title.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything people said it would beFloridaBoyDined on 10/14/2014The menu was creative and regionally/seasonally driven, and the food lived up to the billing. Our server was competent but a tad aloof, but others on the staff were friendly and helpful. Valet parking was a nice and perhaps necessary touch, given the location.Special Features:
- Friendly and helpful wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Food was very good a little pricey for the portion sizeSpecial Features:
- A gem in Durham, NCGo2niteDined on 10/11/2014We arrived at 6:30pm and were seated immediately. Our waiter asked about drinks (our friend ordered a bottle of wine) and he explained the specials for the evening. We had two appetizers, the pate and risotto which were delicious. Two of us ordered the salmon, one had the veal loin and one had the roaste d flounder. All agreed each choice was fantastic; the presentation and flavor were "spot on". We had the crostata and creme brûlée for dessert. All in all a superb evening of fine dining. Nana's is expensive but worth it for a special occasion. This was our first visit and we will return. It was a bit noisy but quieted down when everyone in the restaurant was eating!Special Features:
- NancyDined on 10/7/2014Nana's is a lovely place for a meal. It was our first time there. I liked linens on the table. The homemade facacchio bread was Delicious. We ordered 2 appetizers and 1 entree. The wild mushroom soup was delicious. The chili Rolenno was good but it was supposed to have grilled duck inside it and if it was there, I couldn't taste it. We shared a lovely, large chunk of fresh grilled tuna. It was cooked the way we asked for ît and was excellent. The service was spot on but as the place filled it did get a bit noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/6/2014Our first time to Nana's and it did not disappoint! Great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up to & Beyond PardurhamgalDined on 10/2/2014Glorious food, surrounded by vibrant paintings and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu and Service SuperbMelerskiDined on 9/22/2014The menu was delightful, but not really geared to a vegetarian. Beautiful on the menu and when served. Waiter was extremely knowledgeable and very quick to recommend his favorites and answer any questions.Special Features:
- Was Expecting MoreRJSDurhamDined on 9/20/2014I went here before a show at DPAC and had the tasting menu. The service was excellent, but the food just wasn't very inspiring or as flavorful and good as I was expecting based on previous reviews and articles in local media. The food seem cooked properly and was nicely arranged, the flavors just weren't there or didn't work well together. I might go back, but for the price I think I'd rather go back to Ruth Chris, Vin Rouge, or Revolution. This place was just average.
- Nana's a Perrenial FavoriterfgabDined on 9/19/2014You cannot go wrong dining at Nana's. The duck "rellano" was a great start. My veal was like butter. My wife's duck entrée was enticing. If there is a complaint it's that we were seated next to the kitchen door. Now while we understand that someone has to sit next to the kitchen door there were other 2 tops available when we showed up on time for our reservation. One has to question whether the kitchen door 2 top is reserved for Open Table reservations. I also note when using OPen Table that there is never a table available at 7:00 pm. I will continue to dine at Nana's. I'm not sure I will continue to use Open Table for reservations.Special Features:
- Mid Week GetawayTAC49VIPDined on 9/17/2014Our party of four dined here on Wednesday, Sept. 17th. The restaurant is indeed very good and did not disappoint. Is it as good as people say...maybe...probably depends on the night. The service is very good, attentive but at times may seem a little slow. Bread choices were limited to two. Crab cake, short rib and pate' starters were all excellent. The flank steak and rack of lamb entrees were very good but the pork chop was not nearly as good. Blackberry and peach desserts were also very good. This was a very good dining experience and we will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HtaylorDined on 9/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Nana's. The unique combinations were delicious, cooked to perfection and portions were just right. Wonderful wine by the glass as well.Special Features:
- Plan ahead - have a wonderful mealJudyNovemberDined on 9/5/2014We had an excellent meal and superior service. This place is very popular, so make reservations well in advance.Special Features:
- Anna's is great!KarenVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had the steak special, as well as the steak on the menu, and one person had the fish. We had different appetizers also, from their heirloom tomato salad to the shrimp risotto. All fabulous, done perfectly, and accommodating to one party's food sensitivities. Brian was a fabulous waiter. All was great.Special Features:
- Quite specialRefinedine1Dined on 9/5/2014Nanas was truly a good choice for a special anniversary dinner. The wait staff was very attentive without being intrusive and made great recommendations on food and wine. Our meal was wonderful from start to finish. The ambience was quite nice and the sound level quiet so we could enjoy a relaxing evening. We definitely would say it is a special find and priced fairly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a date2cool4schoolDined on 9/4/2014I don't have much to say other than the food was incredible, and the service was excellent. I would most definitely return here for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Always wonderfuldestinationdinerDined on 8/30/2014Nana's is my go-to place. I have never had a disappointing dish, I have enjoyed each time the wine pairings suggested by our waiter, and always bring out of town guests to this gem of a place.Special Features:
- Excellent Menu, Quite Good OverallCaptainDaveDined on 8/30/2014I had not been to Nana's for close to a decade, and both the food and the overall experience were better than I recall. Nana’s appeared to be very well managed with an attentive wait staff. Everything ran smoothly, from the valet parking to the frequent topping off of our glasses. I am a big fan of risotto, and the appetizer featured a pleasing blend of crisp vegetables and light, succulent North Carolina shrimp. My wife enjoyed the heirloom tomato salad which also presented well. We had the Kobe flank steak and the venison for our entrees and both were excellent, with the choices of sides (much of which was local produce) and sauces complimenting the meat. I expect we will be back much sooner next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Odd service.JMT0000Dined on 8/27/2014Everything on the tasting menu was incredible -- rich, hearty flavors, big portions, fresh and interesting. Ambiance seemed conflicted between fancy and casual; service as well. Not elegant fine dining but also not relaxed and casual. Made for an uncomfortable experience. Tables too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always try the risottolunchproVIPDined on 8/27/2014It changes regularly and is a specialty at Nana's. Delicious every time and I am always pleased that I order it!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceIris117Dined on 8/22/2014Food is great! So is the service. Duck breast is a little overcooked. The whole fish is highly recommended. Cantaloupe sorbet is a surprise, very refreshing!Special Features:
- Did not disappoint!MissBlushDined on 8/20/2014My boyfriend and I had high expectations in Nana's and it did not disappoint. We ordered the Chef's tasting menu and each dish was delectable. The flavors of each course always impressed us and we never gave back anything but an empty plate. The service was considerate and friendly. We would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nana's was excellent!durhamdinersDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Nana's on a Tuesday night. The only open reservation was early, so we went at 5:30. We chose the tasting menu, and the food and drinks were outstanding! The only problem was the excessive wait between courses. Normally this wouldn't bother us, we would just sit and enjoy the evening, but unfortunately my husband recently had back surgery. He had to get up several times between each course to walk around the room. (It did allow him to peek at other diners' meals and the bar scene!) Two and a half hours later he was extremely tired and ready to go when dessert was finally served. Still, wouldn't hesitate to return or to recommend to other diners! Probably our best meal in Durham yet.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinner at Nana'smarch4madnessDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a high food quality dinner suitable for a birthday celebration for my wife, and also suitable to include my college-age son (not too romantic or stuffy, or too much of a bar scene). Nana's did not disappoint! We love the food, service, and ambience, and look forward to our next dinner there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I hosted a group of five. It was a completely lovely experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experience.durhamdinerDined on 8/11/2014The food at Nana's is delicious. The wait staff are nice, attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu. Nana's rises to the top of local restaurants with unique and flavorful starters, main dishes and desserts. It's the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Love Nana'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Creative menu with some unexpected combinations. Really good food. Excellent, friendly and attentive service. Overall, a definite winner.Special Features:
- Good Food/Service, Bad ambianceZombobDined on 8/9/2014Once again the food and service were great, and once again we sat next to the kitchen/supplies shelf. It is very distracting as one is trying to hold a conversation when you have servers squeezing behind diners trying to get suppliers, as well as in and out of the kitchen. Move the tables a bit and add a curtain or wall.Special Features:
- Very AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Had heard this was an iconic restaurant in the area and was excited to check it out. My expectations were set way too high. Food was good, but not great; I would coin as a neighborhood restaurant, and not the more "famed" type restaurant I heard it to be. Was very disappointed in the hostess that seated us - a very young girl, who I did not feel really understood our needs of trying to select a table for privacy, which at 6pm and half the restaurant empty should have been a problem. She seated us first, by a group of people, followed by the next choice, right by the kitchen door!Special Features:
- one of Durham's bestdavidVIPDined on 8/8/2014Small parking area, but with free valet. Interior dark, clubby. Our server Judah was friendly, helpful. My wife ordered two appetizers, the heirloom tomatoes with mozzarella and crab cakes as her meal. Both were good, and the crab cakes did not appear to have a bit of bread stuffing - entirely crab meat. My mother had the snapper over vegetables and I had the pork chop with a chile relleno. Both were good as well. We have eaten here many times before and no doubt will be back.Special Features:
- VibrantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014I've been to Nana's a few times. The best thing about Nana's is the food! The service is fairly good, but the place is rather small ..., so no matter what you do it is rather intimate. The "smallness" of the place along with your proximity to your fellow diners tends to make the place a little noisy and loud. The place gets packed and they make the most of the space that they have and I guess that is part of being a popular dining destination. The menu changes pretty much monthly so you do get a change up pretty routinely so that you don't get tired of the food. Despite the noise, we are there for the food and that trumps pretty much everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return tripBillDined on 8/2/2014We have been customers for a long time. Now mostly for special occasions. The last four years for our anniversary. Tasting menus are phenomenal and waiters always pair great wines . Warren did a great job .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findNCfoodieDined on 8/2/2014Our birthday celebration dinner was simply delicious! Nana's was recommended by a friend and they did not disappoint. The food was thoughtfully prepared with delicious locally sourced ingredients. The heirloom tomato and corn salad tasted straight from the garden only better. The blueberry crumble with cantaloupe sorbet was such a burst of flavor. We truly appreciated the servers' attention to pleasing us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 01 Aug 2014 Nana's DinnerSamosaDined on 8/1/2014Me and the redheads went out for the birthday dinner of the senior redhead (Mom). Split an appetizer of corn and shrimp chowder that was frankly underwhelming. You know how you sometimes make a soup and it comes out bland...like instead of tasting like some rich whole, it tastes like the component parts...like some cream heated up with some corn and some shrimp thrown in? It was like that. Senior redhead had the duck cooked in a skillet entree...that was quite good. I had the halibut, but like the soup, it seemed wanting for flavor a bit. Junior redhead had the appetizer farfalle with rabbit, which both of them liked quite a bit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal & Service in DurhamgarciauncVIPDined on 7/31/2014Without a doubt, the best meal and service in Durham.Special Features: