2514 University Dr
Durham, NC 27707Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nanasdurham.com/
- Phone: 9194938545
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm until
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Southern
- Executive Chef: Scott Howell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: minimal, usually only for very regular customers
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant and intimate private dining rooms available for hosting your event. Please contact our private dining coordinator for details and to book your next business or celebratory event.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Weddington 9194938545
- Special Events: Chef Scott Howell frequently hosts wine dinners and cooking classes at the restaurant. Please visit nanasdurham.com for event dates and details
A word from Nana's Restaurant
The restaurant is very local in feeling, a lot of repeat customers. Cuisine is American Regional with French and Italian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Nana's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Nana's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)special occasion (89)romantic (50)notable wine list (49)neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (8)Show More
- Menu and Service SuperbMelerskiDined on 9/22/2014The menu was delightful, but not really geared to a vegetarian. Beautiful on the menu and when served. Waiter was extremely knowledgeable and very quick to recommend his favorites and answer any questions.Special Features:
- Was Expecting MoreRJSDurhamDined on 9/20/2014I went here before a show at DPAC and had the tasting menu. The service was excellent, but the food just wasn't very inspiring or as flavorful and good as I was expecting based on previous reviews and articles in local media. The food seem cooked properly and was nicely arranged, the flavors just weren't there or didn't work well together. I might go back, but for the price I think I'd rather go back to Ruth Chris, Vin Rouge, or Revolution. This place was just average.
- Nana's a Perrenial FavoriterfgabDined on 9/19/2014You cannot go wrong dining at Nana's. The duck "rellano" was a great start. My veal was like butter. My wife's duck entrée was enticing. If there is a complaint it's that we were seated next to the kitchen door. Now while we understand that someone has to sit next to the kitchen door there were other 2 tops available when we showed up on time for our reservation. One has to question whether the kitchen door 2 top is reserved for Open Table reservations. I also note when using OPen Table that there is never a table available at 7:00 pm. I will continue to dine at Nana's. I'm not sure I will continue to use Open Table for reservations.Special Features:
- Mid Week GetawayTAC49VIPDined on 9/17/2014Our party of four dined here on Wednesday, Sept. 17th. The restaurant is indeed very good and did not disappoint. Is it as good as people say...maybe...probably depends on the night. The service is very good, attentive but at times may seem a little slow. Bread choices were limited to two. Crab cake, short rib and pate' starters were all excellent. The flank steak and rack of lamb entrees were very good but the pork chop was not nearly as good. Blackberry and peach desserts were also very good. This was a very good dining experience and we will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HtaylorDined on 9/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Nana's. The unique combinations were delicious, cooked to perfection and portions were just right. Wonderful wine by the glass as well.Special Features:
- Plan ahead - have a wonderful mealJudyNovemberDined on 9/5/2014We had an excellent meal and superior service. This place is very popular, so make reservations well in advance.Special Features:
- Anna's is great!KarenVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had the steak special, as well as the steak on the menu, and one person had the fish. We had different appetizers also, from their heirloom tomato salad to the shrimp risotto. All fabulous, done perfectly, and accommodating to one party's food sensitivities. Brian was a fabulous waiter. All was great.Special Features:
- Quite specialRefinedine1Dined on 9/5/2014Nanas was truly a good choice for a special anniversary dinner. The wait staff was very attentive without being intrusive and made great recommendations on food and wine. Our meal was wonderful from start to finish. The ambience was quite nice and the sound level quiet so we could enjoy a relaxing evening. We definitely would say it is a special find and priced fairly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a date2cool4schoolDined on 9/4/2014I don't have much to say other than the food was incredible, and the service was excellent. I would most definitely return here for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent Menu, Quite Good OverallCaptainDaveDined on 8/30/2014I had not been to Nana's for close to a decade, and both the food and the overall experience were better than I recall. Nana’s appeared to be very well managed with an attentive wait staff. Everything ran smoothly, from the valet parking to the frequent topping off of our glasses. I am a big fan of risotto, and the appetizer featured a pleasing blend of crisp vegetables and light, succulent North Carolina shrimp. My wife enjoyed the heirloom tomato salad which also presented well. We had the Kobe flank steak and the venison for our entrees and both were excellent, with the choices of sides (much of which was local produce) and sauces complimenting the meat. I expect we will be back much sooner next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Odd service.JMT0000Dined on 8/27/2014Everything on the tasting menu was incredible -- rich, hearty flavors, big portions, fresh and interesting. Ambiance seemed conflicted between fancy and casual; service as well. Not elegant fine dining but also not relaxed and casual. Made for an uncomfortable experience. Tables too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always try the risottolunchproVIPDined on 8/27/2014It changes regularly and is a specialty at Nana's. Delicious every time and I am always pleased that I order it!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceIris117Dined on 8/22/2014Food is great! So is the service. Duck breast is a little overcooked. The whole fish is highly recommended. Cantaloupe sorbet is a surprise, very refreshing!Special Features:
- Did not disappoint!MissBlushDined on 8/20/2014My boyfriend and I had high expectations in Nana's and it did not disappoint. We ordered the Chef's tasting menu and each dish was delectable. The flavors of each course always impressed us and we never gave back anything but an empty plate. The service was considerate and friendly. We would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nana's was excellent!durhamdinersDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Nana's on a Tuesday night. The only open reservation was early, so we went at 5:30. We chose the tasting menu, and the food and drinks were outstanding! The only problem was the excessive wait between courses. Normally this wouldn't bother us, we would just sit and enjoy the evening, but unfortunately my husband recently had back surgery. He had to get up several times between each course to walk around the room. (It did allow him to peek at other diners' meals and the bar scene!) Two and a half hours later he was extremely tired and ready to go when dessert was finally served. Still, wouldn't hesitate to return or to recommend to other diners! Probably our best meal in Durham yet.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinner at Nana'smarch4madnessDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a high food quality dinner suitable for a birthday celebration for my wife, and also suitable to include my college-age son (not too romantic or stuffy, or too much of a bar scene). Nana's did not disappoint! We love the food, service, and ambience, and look forward to our next dinner there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I hosted a group of five. It was a completely lovely experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experience.durhamdinerDined on 8/11/2014The food at Nana's is delicious. The wait staff are nice, attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu. Nana's rises to the top of local restaurants with unique and flavorful starters, main dishes and desserts. It's the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Love Nana'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Creative menu with some unexpected combinations. Really good food. Excellent, friendly and attentive service. Overall, a definite winner.Special Features:
- Good Food/Service, Bad ambianceZombobDined on 8/9/2014Once again the food and service were great, and once again we sat next to the kitchen/supplies shelf. It is very distracting as one is trying to hold a conversation when you have servers squeezing behind diners trying to get suppliers, as well as in and out of the kitchen. Move the tables a bit and add a curtain or wall.Special Features:
- Very AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Had heard this was an iconic restaurant in the area and was excited to check it out. My expectations were set way too high. Food was good, but not great; I would coin as a neighborhood restaurant, and not the more "famed" type restaurant I heard it to be. Was very disappointed in the hostess that seated us - a very young girl, who I did not feel really understood our needs of trying to select a table for privacy, which at 6pm and half the restaurant empty should have been a problem. She seated us first, by a group of people, followed by the next choice, right by the kitchen door!Special Features:
- one of Durham's bestdavidVIPDined on 8/8/2014Small parking area, but with free valet. Interior dark, clubby. Our server Judah was friendly, helpful. My wife ordered two appetizers, the heirloom tomatoes with mozzarella and crab cakes as her meal. Both were good, and the crab cakes did not appear to have a bit of bread stuffing - entirely crab meat. My mother had the snapper over vegetables and I had the pork chop with a chile relleno. Both were good as well. We have eaten here many times before and no doubt will be back.Special Features:
- VibrantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014I've been to Nana's a few times. The best thing about Nana's is the food! The service is fairly good, but the place is rather small ..., so no matter what you do it is rather intimate. The "smallness" of the place along with your proximity to your fellow diners tends to make the place a little noisy and loud. The place gets packed and they make the most of the space that they have and I guess that is part of being a popular dining destination. The menu changes pretty much monthly so you do get a change up pretty routinely so that you don't get tired of the food. Despite the noise, we are there for the food and that trumps pretty much everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return tripBillDined on 8/2/2014We have been customers for a long time. Now mostly for special occasions. The last four years for our anniversary. Tasting menus are phenomenal and waiters always pair great wines . Warren did a great job .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findNCfoodieDined on 8/2/2014Our birthday celebration dinner was simply delicious! Nana's was recommended by a friend and they did not disappoint. The food was thoughtfully prepared with delicious locally sourced ingredients. The heirloom tomato and corn salad tasted straight from the garden only better. The blueberry crumble with cantaloupe sorbet was such a burst of flavor. We truly appreciated the servers' attention to pleasing us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 01 Aug 2014 Nana's DinnerSamosaDined on 8/1/2014Me and the redheads went out for the birthday dinner of the senior redhead (Mom). Split an appetizer of corn and shrimp chowder that was frankly underwhelming. You know how you sometimes make a soup and it comes out bland...like instead of tasting like some rich whole, it tastes like the component parts...like some cream heated up with some corn and some shrimp thrown in? It was like that. Senior redhead had the duck cooked in a skillet entree...that was quite good. I had the halibut, but like the soup, it seemed wanting for flavor a bit. Junior redhead had the appetizer farfalle with rabbit, which both of them liked quite a bit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal & Service in DurhamgarciauncVIPDined on 7/31/2014Without a doubt, the best meal and service in Durham.Special Features:
- Never disappointsCJ03Dined on 7/31/2014We have been dining at Nana's for 12+ years but hadn't been there in a long while. Our server was wonderful and knowledgable and the food was fantastic. I usually order the risotto as an appetizer but decided to try the gnocchi in mushroom broth and it may be my new favorite-so full of flavor but not as filling as the risotto. I ordered the halibut for my entree and it was perfectly seasoned. Once again, Nana's never disappoints me and always provides my with a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An traditional favoriteKeithVIPDined on 7/30/2014I was told about Nana's when I visited the Raleigh area and scheduled a reservation. Parking is valet and complimentary although I did not see the sign in time and parked up the street in a small residential street. The Manhattan special is unique and worth a bourbon fans trial. I was alone and ordered the tomato appetizer and the duck. Both were exceptional with the duck being served at perfect temperature and the sauce was spectacular. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014An excellent overall experience! Great Food, presented well, and excellent service.Special Features:
- Consistently good over the years...FoodMemoDined on 7/28/2014One of the top 5 restaurants in the triangle consistently over the last decade.Special Features:
- ConsistentlySerenVIPDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and service. Their dedication to available fresh ingredients shows in their menu.Special Features:
- One of the bestNCVFD253Dined on 7/25/2014Understanding Nana's is well known in the Triangle it lived up to its reputation in every way as to food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Doesn't disappointBurp1Dined on 7/24/2014Been here twice and we'll keep coming back. Everything we ordered was delish. We were a party of four and everyone raved about their choices. The salmon, halibut, pork chop and venison were all perfectly prepared. Our party has all dined all over the world and this restaurant is a notable find in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for an important dinnerJoshDined on 7/23/2014I've had dinner at Nana's with my wife, alone a couple of times and with work colleagues a couple of times. In both instances it has excelled at providing great food and a great ambiance for the evening.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014We recently ate at Nana's for the first time and had a wonderful dining experience. The food was thoughtfully prepared, beautifully plated and delicious. I would highly recommend the tuna carpaccio, heirloom tomato platter and risotto as appetizer... yummy goodness!!! The filet wrapped in bacon was like a little bit of heaven on earth!Special Features:
- Just perfectScootieDined on 7/19/2014I have to say this was the first time that we've been to Nanas, it was perfect from start to finish!Special Features:
- Nana's is GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014This was our first visit to Nana's and it was everything we had heard. We enjoyed our anniversary dinner immensely and will definitely return.Special Features:
- BillVIPDined on 7/18/2014Our servers were very attentive and helpful with suggestions on wine and food. The food was excellent and plentiful. We enjoyed the dinner very much and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2ofusDined on 7/18/2014Meeting a friend for a leasurely dinner, we were given a very nice table, and our waiter took our drink order minutes after we sat down. Our drinks came and we then decided on a couple of small plates to start with while we chatted. No sooner had we started in to taste our food when the waiter came by again and asked if we had made a choice for our meal; we have now been sitting all of 23 minutes. When we said we hadn't really looked enough to decide he looked bothered by that. My friend asked if he was in a hurry because we weren't and we planned on being here for awhile. BTW the dining rooms had plenty of open seats for anyone who may come in. He got the idea of how we felt from the size of his tip.Special Features: