6048 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
BurmesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nanyangrockridge.com/
- Phone: 5106553298
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Sunday 12:00pm - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burmese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Nan Yang
The name "Nan yang" originated from old Chinese sea-going maps. "Nan" means south and "Yang" means sea. Thus, "Nan Yang" refers to the area known today as South Pacific. More specifically, Nan Yang refers to the countries in the southern pacific region: Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines. The regional cooking of this area is known particularly for its use of spices such as chili, cinnamon, coconut milk, curry, fennel and lemongrass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nan Yang reviews from OpenTable diners
- Tasty!dovegirlDined on 6/23/2013Our server was gracious and helpful. The food, great! Really Great! Reasonable price was nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is closingLykuDined on 6/15/2013This restaurant is closing June 26th of this year.
- Needs ImprovementGaryVIPDined on 6/13/2013Aside from the cheerful confirmation and greeting at the door, my party of 8 was virtually ignored even though it was the largest in the place at the time, besides a few parties of 1 or 2. We had to get up and ask someone to come over to help us for things as small as filling water glasses and even bringing our check. Food quality for this genre was marginal and the white wines we tasted we far over-sweetened for their category. Lastly, there were repeated power surges in the restaurant causing all the lights to change brightness suddenly. I'd be concerned about fire hazards not to mention what it does for the atmosphere. I'd recommend sticking closer to the center of Rock Ridge for eating in this area.
- We came with a group of peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013We came with a group of people that included 2 who had been to Berma, and we were blown away. This place is pretty authentic and incredibly delicious. The mohinga was amazing, and the other 4 dishes that we shared were all very good. There was a ton of flavor to the food, and it wasn't afflicted with the overly sweet oily shine that most Asian-American food seems to have.
- Service was extremely slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/26/2013Service was extremely slow, particularly for only a moderately busy evening. Food did not seem to be as good as it had been in years past. And the decor could use an update. Overall, a decent choice.Special Features:
- this used to be a great restaurant.MnhwVIPDined on 1/11/2013this used to be a great restaurant. service was really slow & food mediocre.
- Ok restaurant. Good was aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/6/2013Ok restaurant. Good was a little lacking in flavor though.Special Features:
- The two dishes my wife andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2012The two dishes my wife and I had were the "shredded papaya salad" and "garlic noodles with pork." The noodles were almost tasteless and the pork slices were dried and leathery. The papaya salad had single somewhat uncoplex vinegar flavor that was not appealing. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- The food was a pleasant surprise--tOntheroadVIPDined on 11/9/2012The food was a pleasant surprise--the dishes had subtlety, a broad range of flavors, and interesting combinations. The server picked up that some of us were vegetarian, and then helped explain the options of all dishes ordered--so that if the table wanted, we could share everything (shrimp powder on the side, for instance). But the service was forgetful. We ordered a soup. The server asked if we wanted some for everyone, we said, yes, but she didn't bring bowls for everyone. And it took quite a while to get them. It took so long for some of the entrees, we had to inquire, and then it took longer.