198 Atwells Ave
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.namiprov.com/
- Phone: 4013836559
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 12:00pm - 1:00am, Saturday: 1:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 1:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Nami
NAMI offers a contemporary twist on traditional Japanese cuisine set in the backsplash of historic Atwells, serving sushi and kitchen entrees with modern New American influences. Matched with a trendy décor designed and accented by local artists, NAMI is the new face of Japanese fine dining in Providence. A Special Note From NAMI: We would like our valued customers to know that we no longer have a theatrical hibachi chef. However, you are still able to order your hibachi from our superb chefs in the kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nami reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)special occasion (6)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)romantic (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Mixed experienceLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 10/18/2014Mixed. Food was good. Decor and ambiance was cool, but the live music was horrible and the waiter upsold us on too much food we couldn't finish. He also asked odd questions and provided mixed service.Special Features:
- A nice night outculinarychickDined on 9/20/2014My fiancée and I went to NAMI for a Saturday night date. The food was really good and our server was really nice. We ordered miso soup, crab rangoons, and the sushi for two. Would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014sushi is awesome - love the Passion Roll - service is wonderfulSpecial Features:
- PERFECT!!Goodtimes21Dined on 9/6/2014Service, food, presentation and atmosphere were exceptional. We visited to celebrate by daughter's 21st and could not have been happier. Everyone went out of their way to make a memorable occasion. The steel drum live music was a great touch. Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaceDined on 9/6/2014Unknown to us there was a steel drum band on Saturday. Very loud. We expected quiet so that we could talk based on the other reviews. Food was prepared well. Surprised that the Hibachi was closed. Fish selection at the sushi bar was somewhat limited. Noodle bowl was very good but, a little too much teriachi for my taste. Seafood bisque was excellent. My wife liked her grilled scallops very much.
- Great Apps!ThomasVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is fantastic. There are so many wonderful apps that my wife and I had a meal of apps. We hope to order a main course some day. The atmosphere is upscale.Special Features:
- Best sushi in ProvidencekrtsphdDined on 9/6/2014Nami is outstanding! They have the best sushi in Providence in my opinion. Great service, modern atmosphere, huge selection of sushi and sashimi as well as other great meal choices. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- best sushi in ProvidenceHappilyWellFedVIPDined on 8/31/2014I finally don't feel I have to drive up to Brookline, MA for good sushi. Presentation was really beautiful too.Special Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the Nami reviews archive.
- Great meal, reasonable pricesSara63Dined on 6/30/2014Last-minute night out and we were not disappointed. The sushi was excellent and the staff very informative.Special Features:
- Good timesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014The food and service were great. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014the food was amazing but what impressed me was how they catered the service to each customer, as they offered brown rice substitutions for sushi or soy rice paper.Special Features:
- GREAT GRADUATION LUNCHvideoterrryDined on 5/24/2014Hungry after college graduation ceremonies, and not wanting bar food or Italian, our college graduate suggested Nami. Walked in, were seated right away, and our hopes were more than met. Good craft beer on tap, helpful suggestions from the very friendly waiter, and an awesome platter of sushi came forth after a wonderful appetizer of the mango grilled shrimp entree. Highly recommended. Though expensive, you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious, great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2014I went there with a group of girls for my bday. Food was so delicious, waiter was extremely helpful, my white Sangria was amazing. We ordered many different samplings & there wasn't a morsel left! They even brought out a too die for chocolate covered moose dessert w a candle! So good! Crowded but the place is very spacious. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there on Saturday eveningSonluverDined on 4/12/2014Went there on Saturday evening with my husband and another couple for dinner. We shared sushi for our starters and split 2 dinners between the 4 of us. The sushi was fresh and delicious! Dinner was just as good as well as the martini's. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nine place,friendly staff,FabieDined on 3/28/2014Nine place,friendly staff, good sushi, reasonable price.will recommend name to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't have the wine thatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014Didn't have the wine that we wanted but overall the experience was good. The rolls were huge so for a party of (4) to share four rolls was plenty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, creative inventiveDee1Dined on 2/22/2014Great food, creative inventive dishes, all plated beautifully. Friendly staff, great modern decor. Definitely one of the best if not the best sushi spot in RI. Went with a group on a Saturday night and it was fairly full but not as busy as one would expect for a Saturday night. I really hope this place sticks around because the food and ambience is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worked with us in a time pinchhappyvisitorDined on 2/22/2014We had made reservations with what we thought would be plenty of time to still make our concert plans. We did not anticipate the long time it took to get to and down Atwells Ave. on a Sat nite. There is free valet parking, which is a big plus....as some restaurants charge large sums for valet parking on Atwells. When we announced our time restraints, we were told that would not be a problem, and it wasn't. If we were discussing a dish that would take too long to prepare, we were told as much. Everything came out timely, was tasty and was presented in a beautiful fashion(especially the sea urchin). Have already recommended the restaurant to my son.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodRoxanneDined on 2/14/2014My GF and I went late on v-day (9:30) & we were expecting chaos, everything was smooth & as soon as we got there we sat within 10 min. We got out drinks at the bar first and the male behind the counter was very friendly. Once our table was ready we ordered 3 rolls of sushi, no apps. Our good came out prob an hour later which would have been fine if our waitress had come to our table at all to check up on us. I had to flag her down to ask where it was. I understand it's busy on a holiday but at least check in with us. Besides that we had a perfect evening. Drinks, sushi, and atmosphere were perfect, service.....just check in with your table a little more. Will recommend tho! One experience doesn't make up my mind about a restaurant.Special Features:
- Valentine's DayCurtAnnDined on 2/14/2014With a reduced menu and a very busy restaurant - it is difficult to provide a complete review. With that said, sushi was amazing and drinks were favorites with all parties. Presentation was great as well - very unique. In addition we ordered one entree (salmon) that was awesome... In short - definitely worth a try - we will be back when the hibachi grills are openSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi was great along withOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Sushi was great along with the staff. We used the complimentary VIP parking. Received our car a noticed a horrible smell, it reminded me of the Seinfeld episode. He also forgot to put my car in park before turning it off. Everything was nice until grabbing my car which kind of put me in a bad mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGood2eatDined on 2/8/2014Food was great as was the service ,our waiter Joe was knowledgable and made great reccomendations , we will return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sangria!sangrialadyDined on 2/1/2014The Sangria and Sushi are outstanding and the ambience is great for a cozy dinner. The prices are quite acceptable as the offerings are of high quality. I would definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, other things lacking.KennyHollyVIPDined on 1/31/2014The restaurant was very cold, almost uncomfortably cold. The service was just "okay" with a waitress who didn't smile and seemed to have no enthusiasm. The food was very good, and somewhat made up for the lacking friendly service. I would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need ImprovementFriendlyFatKidDined on 1/25/2014Went here on a Saturday night with a party of 4. For starters, the delivery of the food was at the most awkward times. Appetizers did not come out together - one appetizer came out for one side of the table, leaving the other side empty handed. Same thing applied for the entrees, the sushi entrees were delivered about 20 minutes before the hibachi entrees on the table, leaving the sushi eaters sitting there twiddling their thumbs for the last half hour. Adding to the fact that the rice for the hibachi did not come out for an addition 15 minutes after the main dish. The check was dropped off in the middle of the salad course right in the middle of the table. The waitress was friendly and knowledgeable, but like I said the timing was awfulSpecial Features:
- Not the bestEmilyDined on 1/18/2014Nami did have good food but we were the ONLY people in there at 7pm on a Saturday night. The waitress was miserable and acted like we were such a pain to wait on-even though we were her only table. Maybe this is a great lunch place but it was a bit odd how there was on one there on a busy night. The food was really good though and the drinks were spot on.Special Features:
- Great Food and Sushi was diverse..PhilTympsDined on 1/10/2014The food was fabulous and a very nice atmosphere, though if you're seated near the bar it's quite noisy. The only disappointment was they failed twice to be able to find the wine I wanted. though I'm sure that was an abberation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing find on the hilljadeDined on 1/4/2014If youre near the hill and don't want Italian this is the way to go hands downSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all around nice restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/4/2014An all around nice restaurant. Service was friendly and attentive and the food was very good. They have a good selection of rolls, hibachi meals and noodles. Looking forward to eating their again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NamiNamiDined on 12/31/2013The bar tender was very loud. There were some people at the bar shouting as if it is a sports barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was very pleased the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Was very pleased the food was amazing!!! Our server was on top of her game!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Half halfHill22Dined on 11/29/2013We thought they had hibachi tables but they don't anymore. But you can still order hibachi entrees. They aren't as good when you just order them off the menu without the experience. Other people in my party said their non-seafood entrees were just OK. But everyone agreed, the sushi and other raw seafood was very very good. I would recommend this restaurant for sushi and drinks. The service was incredible. Our waitress was extremely nice and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiChuckDined on 11/23/2013I have visited Nami and few times. I enjoy the atmophere and the food. The presentation is very much to my liking and the sushi is great.Special Features:
- Great SushiemckaeVIPDined on 11/21/2013I loved the food. I think this is now one of my favorite sushi places in providence. The service was pretty poor. Next time I'll probably eat at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceRoveraDined on 11/19/2013The service was wonderful. Performance was great. Did not have to wait for the food. Everything was delicious and the portions are big: we ended up taking home a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi/sashimi platterTofuDined on 11/3/2013Great sushi/sashimi platter for 2 and great surf and turf. Complimentary valet parking. Not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bread w/ Sushi?PirateDinerVIPDined on 10/30/2013The sushi was very good. The avocado was ripe and very good in the spring rolls and on the salad. Although the music was un-necessarily loud, the atmosphere was modern and fun. But.... bread? Really? One does not expect Italian bread to be served with Japanese food. Weird. And, although the dipping sauces were creative, neither yogurt or green curry sauce is Japanese.Special Features:
- Was not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/27/2013We went there after working a trade show, looking forward to a hibachi dinner. They told us they didn't have a chef for hibachi but could make it in the kitchen. Ok so we ordered our meals, finally came out a long time later and the food was all cold. a party of 8. we accepted the food cold because we didn't want to wait any longer. you would think they would have given us something like meals off the bill and around of drinks. It took arguing with the manager to get 10% off the bill. Never going back.
- Bar Brawl Interrupts DinnertraveledfoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2013This was the most bizarre dinner my business partner and I have ever experienced. We are both experienced sushi eaters. Based on the Open Table reviews, this seemed like the logical place in Providence. It seemed to start ok, as we were seated in a booth next to the bar. Between the bread basket served on the table, and the loud patrons at the bar, we probably should have seen the red flags everywhere. When our meal came, the server could not identify the sushi - not a good sign. The final straw was the bar fight that occurred during our meal, when on patron decked another, leaving him on the floor bleeding from his face. Police interviews and medics followed. The wait staff disappeared, and took forever for the check. Enough said?
- Awesome Sushi, Great BardfrjrDined on 10/5/2013We've been frequent visitors of Nami since it first opened. The sushi here is great, and the bar scene is pretty good also. Great for a romantic night out of dinner or to have a few drinks and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.