Naked Fish Japanese Bistro
67 West 100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Naked Fish Japanese Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nakedfishbistro.com/
- Phone: 8015958888x
- Hours of Operation:
TUESDAY - SATURDAY 11:30AM to 3:00PM
TUESDAY - SUNDAY 5:00PM to 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: TOSHIO SEKIKAWA
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call for inquiries.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for inquiries.
- Private Party Contact: Christian Frech 8015958888x
- Special Events: For Omakase, please make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance with Chef approval. No Omakase after 8:30pm.
For more information and questions, please contact the restaurant.
A word from Naked Fish Japanese Bistro
Japanese cuisine in a swanky downtown setting with focus on sourcing the best possible ingredients.Continued
Large Banquet ∙ Conference Rooms ∙ Private Parties ∙ Tasting Menus (Omakase - available by reservation only)
Large Banquet ∙ Conference Rooms ∙ Private Parties ∙ Tasting Menus (Omakase - available by reservation only)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Naked Fish Japanese Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Naked Fish Japanese Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)special occasion (12)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (7)great for lunch (6)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- a memorable feastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Simply put, we had a truly memorable dinner at Naked Fish this week, sampling several types of sashimi and skewers (duck breast, asparagus maki) that were new to us and rewarded with every luscious bite. The kaki, yellowtail, mackerel and butterfish were especially splendid and found the wide assortment of healthy, flavorful Japanese small plates a refreshing break from the usual over-sauced sushi found elsewhere in the city. Our waiter was very helpful with the Sake selection and provided excellent service.Special Features:
- FrustrateddibakeDined on 8/24/2014We first ate at Naked Fish almost two years ago. The service was amazing as was the food. Since then we have been back to the restaurant multiple times only find our favorite dishes were removed from the menu and told they were seasonal but have not seen them back no matter what time of year. We thought we would try again this last weekend but to no avail plus, tempura was undercooked with 1" dry flour balls (twice-they made a second serving for us) and the scallops were cold inside (twice also)Sigh.....It was not a good experience for us considering it was a favorite place to eat when in SLC.
- Best sushi in SLCComfortFoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Prior to our visit to Naked Fish, Takashi was our go to SLC restaurant for sushi. While the atmosphere and variety of food at Takashi is far better, the sushi at Naked Fish was simply outstanding--some of the best I have ever had, even better than many of the top rated sushi restaurants in New York City. The only downside is the space. It is very stark and the restaurant lacks a lively vibe. But for sushi, this is the place!
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Everything was DELICIOUS!! We went back for lunch 2 days later and will be back every January and August for OR.Special Features:
- Good food but not much of it.jds1Dined on 8/2/2014Had to order more food. Small and expensive portions. But very good quality.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Amazing food-creative and visually attractive. Wonderful service-very personable.Special Features:
- Quick Stop In Salt LakeSouthernPickensDined on 7/27/2014I had a concert to attend in SLC. I was nervous bout sushi in Utah. This place was a gem. However, the server could have been a little more informative on menu. Sweet girl but very softspoken. The plates we ordered were spot on and artistically presented. I will definitely go back and they are open on Sundays. Parking during weekend is a little strange.Special Features:
- SLC gemnonameDined on 7/26/2014Every time we dine here, we are thoroughly impressed. Sit at the bar for a unique experience interacting with the chefs, or choose a table and receive excellent service. The sushi is unbelievably fresh and delicious. The scallop appetizer is not to be missed and all of the nigiri / sashimi options are exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful but really expensiveluciolucioDined on 7/18/2014Finally decided to go after a few friends said it was a great restaurant with very tasty food. They were right on both, I had one of the best miso soup I've ever had, not to mention the crisp and crunchy tempura and the fresh sashimi (notice I didn't say VERY fresh, but fresh enough for me, and I guess you can hardly get any fresher than this in SLC). What my friends did not tell me was how expensive it was. This fifteen-piece platter of sashimi cost me $35 dollars!!! Guess it's the price you pay for enjoying sashimi a lot while living in the city whose greater lake is filled with salt :( Miso was priced ok, can't remember so that's probably good that it didn't leave as lasting an impression. Beverages were not cheap either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mac51Dined on 7/12/2014Great food and excellent service w/ experienced servers.Special Features:
- Naked Fish never fails to delightGCharikerDined on 7/12/2014I eat sushi no where else but Naked Fish - it has spoiled me for others! Now that the owner has added a great selection of wines, they have spoiled me for the rather mundane wine list of other restaurants in town. In a nutshell - they spoil me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing SushiBRECDined on 5/20/2014Everything was Amazing!!! Service was impeccable, Food was divine, Price was expensive but worth it. This is my new favorite Sushi place in Salt Lake City.Special Features:
- dinnerdinner2014Dined on 5/17/2014we had excellent service. food was good. chairs not so comfortable. we had a great table by the window. they read our request and did their best to fulfill it.
- Best sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014We love Naked Fish Bistro. Their sushi is outstanding. My friends and I go to Naked Fish every day while we are at our conference every year. Unfortunately, though, they stopped serving sushi at lunch. We were very disappointed about that, but dinner was great!
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2014Great food. This is a great place to go with a large group or for an intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas sushigeechDined on 5/9/2014Great idea for small portions of Japanese sushi. Explanation of the food items on the menu were very helpful. Well worth the price of a very good dining experience. From the beginning of spicy edamame; then the selections of sashimi; finishing with the Japanese cheesecake. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 330 reviews are from the Naked Fish Japanese Bistro reviews archive.
- best sushi in SLCOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/2/2014What a great concept, combining sushi with a tapas approach. The staff were extremely helpful and enabled us to have a dining experience at our own pace. I'm not usually a fan of sushi rolls, but the two we tried were excellent. This will definitely become one of our "go to" restaurants downtown.Special Features:
- Best sushi in SLC!XmnstnDined on 4/25/2014Must haves-- oyster appetizer, mushrooms in wagyu fat, all the rolls are great. Even the deserts were good--try the semifreddo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCgc57Dined on 4/23/2014Best sushi! Let waiter pick the selection for all types of pallets. He did an awsome job.Special Features:
- wasn't notified of closureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014I made a reservation online and received a confirmation. I was told later (by a friend) that the restaurant was closed for the day because of some maintenance issue. The reservation was for my boss and a client. If my friend hadn't informed me of the closure, I wouldn't have known and would have sent my boss and her client to a closed establishment.
- Amazing as AlwaysGCharikerDined on 4/12/2014Naked Fish has outdone itself again. Amazing Omikase with great wine pairings. Too wonderful to describe. You have to experience it to believe it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sushi!!DeezyVIPDined on 4/10/2014excellent attentive wait staff, great specialized sake collection and recommendations from chefSpecial Features:
- Japanese fare in UtahKKAZDined on 4/4/2014The sushi rolls were delicious as well as the starter salad. Someone in our group ordered the steak, which arrived about 10 minutes after everyone else received their food so that was a little frustrating. The steak which was priced at $28 was only 3 oz and was literally the only thing on the entire plate! Even though it was delicious, we all ended up going to another place to have more to eat! The quality of the food is good, but we thought that the price was very high for the amount of food you actually got with each dish.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4dinnerfor4Dined on 3/25/2014Went for dinner and had the chef serve us whatever he liked. The rolls were pretty good, and the fish was fresh. This is a solid spot for sushi. I however prefer Takashi after finally eating here at the naked fish. I would eat again at the naked fish, but if I had a choice or preference, I would choose Takashi 9/10 times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Omakase Experience!SauvignonomaticDined on 3/22/2014We've been twice for the omakase experience and both times it has been so different and delicious. Sunny was our chef and is so friendly and a skilled sushi chef. My favorite fish was the shimaaji sahshimi and there was an incredible seared scallop course. The finishing course - the wagyu beef was AMAZING. We'll always remember our steer, Kameji. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little disappointedAndiVIPDined on 3/14/2014I have loved naked fish, and it has been my number one sushi place for awhile now. But changing their menu, especially the veggie rolls, has been a little disappointing and not left much variety. And the brown rice has not been available the last couple of times I've been there. Either the rice maker was broken or they ran out. Still very good sushi, but I really wish the same veggie rolls were available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fresh fish, no pretense,lynneDined on 3/12/2014Really fresh fish, no pretense, great service. I know why they are "best" in SLCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food poor serviceSushiloverDined on 3/4/2014The food was amazing especially the calamari, but the service was disappointing. We had reservations and instead of taking us to our table the hostess flirted with a waiter for five minutes before taking us. To fill up the water the busboy was constantly reaching right in front of your face. I would go back because of the food but there service could be much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EHDTlivingDined on 3/2/2014We walked by a couple weeks prior Sunday evening and tried to get a table. They were two hours out for a reservation, which is fine but there were waiters standing around and empty tables. Not sure why they were turning away business. This time we were sure to get a reservation. Service was a little slow. All the food was bland. We wish Tekashi was open on Sundays.
- Exceeded our expectations!UsefulDined on 2/28/2014This was our second visit to Naked Fish. On our first visit, we stumbled in without a reservation, not knowing what to expect. The host was a bit cool and made us wait for quite a bit for a table, despite the fact that the restaurant was almost empty, and we almost left, but we were seated just in time. We were glad we stayed as we were blown away by the amazing food and service by our very knowledgeable waiter. We decided to return and try the omakase, the chef's choice dinner, and again we were not disappointed! Every course was beautifully presented and amazing to eat, and the whole evening was just a sheer delight. The wines that were suggested to us to pair with the food were spot on as well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was absolutely delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/25/2014The food was absolutely delicious. Watching the chef prepare the food was a treat. The staff were very attentive and the ambience is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014I work in the specialty food industry and I can honestly say Naked Fish is my favorite restaurant in Salt Lake. I particularly enjoy the omakase (chef's choice) dinner for special occasions, but for a regular evening out the sushi cannot be beat and Chef Tosh's ramen for lunch is absolutely superb. I cannot recommend it highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushi in townmikesDined on 2/15/2014Like I said, best sushi in town. But you also have to try their other offerings. Had the lamb and it was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love quality sushi,JerssonDined on 2/14/2014If you love quality sushi, this is the place to goSpecial Features:
- Chef's Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The Valentine's tasting menu was a wonderful adventure!Special Features:
- This may have been an offOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/13/2014This may have been an off night for the service, but certainly didn't meet the hype that it is known for.
- overly preciousjustjjohnDined on 2/13/2014Food was well prepared but portions were very small and overpriced. Menu was not very accessible and the waitress while very courteous did not help. Brick walls amplify the noise so forget intimate conversation. The survey term the noise level as "energetic", no it was shop floor noisy. This restaurant tries too hard to justify its prices and claim of elegance with faux chic presentation. Food was lost in the center of over large plates. The two scallop ( cut into four) entrée was surrounded by three inches of plate on three sides and five on another. Highlights were desert and the rice. There are better choices...
- Very Good Sashimi. ExcellentnyuslcvtDined on 2/8/2014Very Good Sashimi. Excellent small plates from the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryFredDined on 2/7/2014We were looking for a good food and a unique experience. We found both along with great service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SushiHungrygirlDined on 2/6/2014It's was a bit pricey and only a small verity to choose from the playboy was good the fish extremely fresh being a college student I could not afford to come back and honestly would not want to I love sushi but I won't pay for a 15 dollar roll again.Special Features: