Nakato Japanese Restaurant - Traditional Dining and Sushi Bar
1776 Cheshire Bridge Road
Atlanta, GA 30324Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Nakato Japanese Restaurant - Traditional Dining and Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nakatorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (404) 873-6583
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Yoshifusa Kinjo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a main dining room with a seating capacity of 50 people for a private event as well as a traditional tatami room seating up to 16 people. Please call for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Sachiyo Nakato 4048736583
A word from Nakato Japanese Restaurant - Traditional Dining and Sushi Bar
Nakato Japanese Restaurant is the oldest Japanese restaurant in Atlanta. Established in 1972, it has been owner operated for over 38 years. Come and enjoy the most traditional and authentic Japanese restaurant that Atlanta has to offer. We have a 25 seater sushi bar along with a traditional tatami rooms serving full course menus, as well as a traditional dining room over looking the Japanese garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Nakato Japanese Restaurant - Traditional Dining and Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Midtown ›
Nakato Japanese Restaurant - Traditional Dining and Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (17)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (10)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Best Japanese food we've had in the Atlanta area!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014This is our new favorite Japanese restaurant in Atlanta. Food is wonderful, the sake list is extensive, service great, all the staff are very friendly and accommodating, parking is not a problem! From start to finish Nakato is a great dining experience that we will enjoy often in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great variety of foodLilliemomDined on 11/11/2014Very accommodating to special requests because kids are picky eaters. Great service and reasonable pricing for quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Took my wife there for her birthday and they delivered!Special Features:
- Sushi!chisainokodomoDined on 10/18/2014Parents were in town, mom is from Sasebo, Japan. Sat at the sushi bar and had an awesome time talking to the sushi chef in Japanese. We all ate sushi that is the closest we've had to being back in Japan. Go, eat, and love it!Special Features:
- Yummy Yummy - Shabu ShabupetiteAperitifDined on 10/11/2014The food at Nakato is consistently delicious and of the highest quality. I have taken my family for various occasions to this gem and we have never been disappointed. It did get a little confusing with the various wait staff that came by to serve our party; however, they were always courteous and professional.Special Features:
- A hidden Gemm3rdbaseDined on 9/26/2014I never would have thought that the restaurant would be as nice and have such great ambiance as it did. I brought my uncle here while he was in town for business. I ordered the spicy tuna roll, and an eel and cucumber roll, as well as the Gyoza - pork dumplings. He ordered a california roll, gyoza & mizo soup and a small salad. The food was more than enough to fill us up! Everything was fresh and delicious, the only thing i wished was that i had a larger cup for the hot tea i ordered. I recommend getting a reservation, since it will influence which table they seat you at. We had a lovely table by one of the large picture windows, in the corner by the piano. This made it easier to have a conversation.Special Features:
- SolidnapkinDined on 9/23/2014This was our second visit to Nakato and the food, just as it was the first time, was very solid. Tempura was hot and crisp, not at all greasy. Sushi, both rolls and Nigiri, was tasty, well prepared, and the fish was pristine. Our server the last time we ate was nothing more than an order taker and added nothing to our experience. This time we had a more mature Japanese woman who was excellent!Special Features:
- We love this place!AtlantaDinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is our go-to for excellent sushi. It has been around forever and it is no wonder - nice atmosphere, good service and wonderful food!Special Features:
- EnjoyablebeautifulnightDined on 9/13/2014Wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and thought the restaurant would be more of a romantic relaxing place. We found out the hard way however we molded right in the scene and really enjoyed ourselves. Highly recommend this restaurant sushi was outstanding and main courses were fabulous! Define return here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningEatoutwithfriendsDined on 9/1/2014The evening was an outstanding success. Party of four, and we tried a lot of things. We could easily have tried a few more but we were full up. We had the sashimi platter, spider roll, lobster roll, and I honestly don't recall what we had for main courses but they were all good. The highlight for me was the green tea creme brulee. I love green tea ice cream, and I love creme brulee. Getting both in one go was a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed sushi and a fish here. We liked it very much, but it is a bit of a drive for us.Special Features:
- Shabu ShabuEnjoyedItButDined on 8/17/2014Nakato does shabu shabu like it is done in Japan. Very authentic!Special Features:
- sinceuaskedDined on 8/16/2014Once again, another fantastic dining experience! The atmosphere was very friendly with excellent service along with great food. This restaurant is one of our favorite places to eat.Special Features:
- Authentic Japanese CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Celebrated my daughter's 18th birthday with a variety of Japanese fare including sushi, tempura, Shabu Shabu, gyoza, yakitori ... all were beatifully presented and delicious. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!leschreiberDined on 8/1/2014This has been some of the best sushi in Atlanta for years. It's consistently wonderful food, great service and a beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Nakato Japanese Restaurant - Traditional Dining and Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- Nice Friday night mealDKL75Dined on 7/18/2014The food is great and you can sit in the lounge if there are no tables open on a busy Friday night. The services was not great but we though that was due to the server being young. She was a little over hear head and didn't bring us our tea nor told us what was in the special. That will come with time but overall a great place. Definitely worth going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sukiyaki was ok. Great ambiance!fieryfairyDined on 7/6/2014I've been to Nakato once before, so when a Groupon came, I jumped on that deal even tho it was for hotpot only. We chose the Sukiyaki over the Shabu-Shabu b/c my bf and I were intrigued by the Sukiyaki sauce. It turns out that it's a very sweet soy sauce, which became too sweet after awhile. We were offered raw eggs to dip the food in too. I didn't notice much difference, but it helped with making the sukiyaki sauce less sweet. We also had the rainbow sushi roll which was good, but I would get their white kelp roll next time b/c it's so much tastier (hard to describe better, sorry). The edamame was good too, they gave alot. But my bf didn't like that it was warm, he preferred it cold. Getting the shabu-shabu next time! Awesome service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I now enjoy sushi. WOW!!!MCB2VIPDined on 6/28/2014I have never liked sushi or Japanese restaurants. I am also allergic to MSG. This place is amazing. Great location. Nice atmosphere. The staff is okay, but not exceptional. The assortment of food is sufficient to meet the needs and hunger of anyone. The quality and timeliness of the food preparation is best in class. I highly recommend this restaurant. It will be a must-visit restaurant every time I visit Atlanta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. Server was decent.JoePublicDined on 6/16/2014Great food. Good service. Portions sizes are just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food (Sushi!)mkmorschDined on 5/31/2014The food was great. There's a large variety of sushi and sake available and everything was made fresh at the sushi bar. My wife and I ate here last Saturday. The food was absolutely impeccable. The sushi was incredibly fresh, expertly made and wonderfully aromatic. Consistently top notch dining with very gracious service.Special Features:
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014The food was great. There's a large variety of sushi and sake available and everything was made fresh at the sushi bar.Special Features:
- Great food (sushi!)JohnnyPhamDined on 5/13/2014The sushi and everything here was impressive. We dined at the typical Hibachi style grill. The food prices were reasonable for Hibachi and the ingredients were all fresh. Everything we had was above average or very good. I had the "Astro Boy" mixed drink by recommendation. Make that 2 glasses since the alcohol content was just right and it tasted quite good. We would have preferred to sit at the carpeted (no shoes) hibachi grill but were told that they were low on waiters that evening (Tuesday night). There is also a normal sit-down dining area and a small bar. The place looks more authentic Japanese than any modern sushi spot nowadays but is not impressive looking. I would recommend for guys to wear a polo to not be over-dressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and fabulous dessert!number7Dined on 5/3/2014My wife and I ate here last Saturday. The food was absolutely impeccable. The sushi was incredibly fresh, expertly made and wonderfully aromatic. My wife had the salmon, which was served with a glaze that was very flavorful yet light. And the portion size was just right--not too much, but not the scarcity of food you might see many times at fancy restaurants. Nakato is nice enough for a special occasion, but comfortable enough not to be pretentious. The dress code was casual, the servers were professional and nonintrusive. For dessert, we had the green tea ice cream, which was light and refreshing, it had such a delicate flavor. It truly was a great meal. Note: We were seated in the restaurant; we did not have the Hibachi service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014I loved the feeling of being in a traditional, non-Americanized Japanese restaurant. The tuna tataki and sushi were excellent. Also, I loved the view of the Japanese garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great change of paceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Consistently top notch dining with very gracious service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 years later and still great!MagperDined on 3/1/2014My husband and I had our first date here 10 years ago. So, when our 10 year anniversary rolled around, we decided to "recreate" our date with our two kids ages 3 and 5 and some friends. It was just as great as it was then! We sat at the hibachi surrounded by huge groups of people out celebrating as well. The sushi was amazing, drinks were great, hibachi was great and the atmosphere was fun and lively!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great romantic dinnerHaga90Dined on 2/24/2014We booked an OpenTable reservation at this restaurant and requested a Tatami room. This is a semi-private room in the back. I wished to have a nice quiet setting for a romantic dinner celebrating a special occasion with my lady.I also ordered flowers, calling the restaurant to have them delivered after we were seated; I wanted to surprise her. Everything went perfect. Our server was helpful and personable, making our dinner a fun and memorable experience. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to enjoy great Japanese food in a classy place. The prices were very reasonable.Special Features:
- A fun experiencekidddJJDined on 2/16/2014Nakato provided a different type of experience than we were used to. The entire restaurant had a more authentic feel to it than the usual down-the-street hibachi place. From the valet to the hibachi chef, everyone was good about making sure that our experience was an enjoyable oneSpecial Features:
- GreatLTrib1127Dined on 2/7/2014It's like Benihana but the added kick is you get to have the Japanese experience of taking off your shoes to sit on the floor to eat. Great spot but it was hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, traditionalpartyof7Dined on 1/25/2014Traditional side Was Very Good Although The Noise From The Birthday Parties And Large Crowds Taking PicturesUp Front Was Very Distracting And Noisey. Food Was Good, Service Was Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itGreatDined on 1/23/2014This place was great, the food was delicious, the servers are well trained and the noise level was how fine dining should be--you can actually have a conversation at a normal voice level. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantDaniellegDined on 1/18/2014My friend recommended this place for a nice dinner with my husband. We had a great time. Service was excellent and they brought our food out quickly despite the number of people there. Make sure to make reservations before going there or you'll have to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese on ChristmasiDannyDined on 12/25/2013Glad that they were open on Xmas. Excellent as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been spectacular...napkinDined on 12/18/2013All the food was properly prepared: sushi rolls fresh and tasty, tempura crispy and not the least bit greasy, soup hot and delicious. The only missing factor was service. While our server was cordial (when we saw her) she did nothing to add to our experience. She did not offer to help navigate the extensive menu, did not offer to answer questions, and the dishes were not timed nor served in any order which made for a clumsy and kind of a herky jerky pace. Had our server been a more active participant in our experience this would be five stars all the way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiSocialMicrobeDined on 12/14/2013Great sushi just wish they brought all the rolls at one time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Great FoodMarshallVIPDined on 11/29/2013Nakato food is always excellent and well prepared. The Sushi is outstanding and the traditional dining experience is really great. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious sashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/17/2013My date and I both had sashimi platters - the sushi chef was kind enough to design each so that they had some different items, allowing us to share and sample more different kinds of fish. Everything was impeccably fresh and very savory. The sake list is beyond extensive, with many good choices on it. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves good sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2013We dine in the private room. The service and food was very good. Much better than Benihana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase DinnerKatieVIPDined on 11/1/2013I had omakase style dining for my birthday. It was $80 per person. Not alot of food but it was special and different. The sushi and sashimi was exceptional. And sushi chef Tetsuji Nishihara was telling us about what he was making the whole time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Japanese Eats!!!!!!!!LexyDined on 10/14/2013I used a ScoutMob and it was an amazing deal! I'm defiantly bringing my friends here when they come from out of town. Thank you so much for a great time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.