Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
1611 E. Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatatnakama.com/
- Phone: (412) 381-6000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wed: 4:00pm - 10:00pm.; Thursday, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ron Dunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Appetizer & Sushi platters are available for off-site drop-off.
- Private Party Facilities: Nakama offers private dining accommodations for up to 35 guests.
A word from Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar is Pittsburgh's hip, fresh approach to Japanese cuisine. Nakama has won numerous awards including: Best Japanese/Sushi Restaurant by Pittsburgh Magazine, 2005, 06, 07,08,09,10,11, 12,13 &2014. Best New & Best Japanese Restaurant, City Paper, 2004,05,06, 07, 08 & 09 Best Sushi; Best Trendy Scene; Best Special Occasion Dining; Best in Upscale Casual Dining; Come in & see why Nakama is getting Pittsburgh's vote!!! Nakama is located at 1611 East Carson Street in the heart of the South Side. Enjoy the knife wielding chefs & experience why Nakama has the absolute best tasting hibachi grilled steak, chicken & seafood as well as the most awesome sushi in Pittsburgh. Valet parking is available Tuesdays thru Saturdays from 6:00pm! Nakama features Happy Hour Monday thru Friday from 5-7pm with specials on drinks & half off appetizers in their huge cocktail lounge. Nakama also offers a children's menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (54)special occasion (42)hot spot (28)fit for foodies (18)romantic (13)vibrant bar scene (13)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (11)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food portions and lack luster cookJuanjon2Dined on 11/15/2014The portion sizes were very meager(shrimp, scallops and steak) One of our guest 'thought she was having an appetizer served with our 3 small shrimp flambes and actually thought she had a few extras then my wife and shared them with my wife. After the appetizers were gone, she realized that they were her main course. My wife felt bad that she had shared some of the "main course" of our guest. Why any cook would serve the main course for one person is beyond my understanding. It was too late after the fact! Our main course was served and there were plenty of vegetables and rice, but very few shrimp and scallops. Vegetables are fairly cheap and it would have been nice to have at least some jumbo or large shrimp and scallops rather than a few morsels about the size of your little finger. Sorry to say the cook seemed like he wanted to get done and on with the next victim or the next customer. Somewhat dissatisfied and not very impressed by the entire evening. One good note we had a very nice and attentive drink server, named Michael. To bad everything else was not as super as Michael. Live and Learn!Special Features:
- Great place!Deels1242Dined on 11/7/2014I've had a few bad meals here but this visit inparticular was great. Our waiter was an awesome guy (Ryan I think?) he made us laugh all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great HibachiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014I haven't had Japanese Hibachi in a long time and it was quite delicious. I like that the fried rice is an upgrade, so those who want can be a little healthier with just steamed rice.Special Features:
- Fast Service, Decent FoodCabanabobDined on 11/2/2014Typical Japanese flat top dining. earlier reviews spoke of drawn out dinners, but ours was very fast, in and out in just about an hour, with a group of 5. We were paired with a couple to make the total around the grill 7 people. LOTS of rice with your dinner; our group had orders of shrimp, tuna and chicken, i had 'bobs' special. All were good. Service was great. even though we were asked 'how would you like it cooked', my rare steak was done the same as the 2 other steaks at our table, medium to well. they pile it all together and cook it all together, regardless of request for doneness. Tuna was asked to be prepared rare, was overdone at medium. Didnt complain, as we were there for the performance of it more than the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I give it a 3/5 the price of the food was not equal to the quantity or quality. The chef spilled my soup and sauces on the table and our meat taste burned. Also I was told my birthday guest would receive a pineapple with sparklers and she didn't which ruined a surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our table was waiting for us!Kfabe22Dined on 11/1/2014We were thrilled to arrive ahd have our table waiting for us - ZERO wait time. Service was great. Good was awesome! We had a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnoyedDined on 10/29/2014Food was great, server was great but they took over an hour to start our food. Server did apologize, however management never came over and did not get offered anything for the inconvience. It would not of been a big deal, however we were going to a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeBestofthebestDined on 10/21/2014Great sushi and great appetizers. Hibachi is good too but would recommend Nakama maki roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok, that's about it thoughOOsushiDined on 10/11/2014We had a reservation for 7:30pm last Saturday for my wife's Bday - arrived 15 minutes early, but weren't seated until almost 8:30. Very unprofessional bartenders, spent more time talking to each other than serving a packed bar. Waiter/cook forgot parts of our party's order, when reminded about it, they forgot again. We had a party of 6 and they couldn't get the bills right after 3 attempts. The food itself was good, but that's it. Nakama used to be a wonderful place to come to celebrate special occasions, not so much anymore.
- SteelerPrincessDined on 10/4/2014The food was great & the service was awesome. My only comment is that the food price is way more expensive than the other hibachi places in the area, but Nakama definitely has the best tasting food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014The food was very good but the service was not so good. We went on a Weds night for my daughters birthday and our reservations were at 8 PM. The restaurant was busy but no over crowded. We were seated promptly at 8 PM but we sat at our table for a half hour before we got our soups/salads. I also feel the portions at Nakama are much smaller than the competition - Ichiban etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worse ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Food tasted burnt from grill... Rice was hard and crunchy... Customer service wasn't welcoming... Cannot do individual vegetables...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Arrived for our reservation at 9:30pm, table was still not ready. We were not seated until 9:55! No apology, comped appetizers, or drinks. Hostess' were rude. Sushi was mediocre. Save your money and stay off Carson st!
- Nervous CookLoveMeSomeNakamaDined on 9/13/2014The only reason why I rated Service as "Good" is because the guy who cooked the food in front of us didn't entertain us as much as I have seen other cooks entertain. The other times I have been there the cooks do all kind of different tricks and our cook only did 1 or 2. He was nice, but seemed nervous. Maybe we was new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerSouthSideExpDined on 9/9/2014What a great experience here at Nakama, Fun and entertaining along with a great dinner.Special Features:
- Give it an A+morriswhatugetDined on 9/6/2014Great service, great food, overall great evening spent with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table NOmoonmomDined on 8/31/2014Restaurant was very good, however they did NOT have my reservation through OpenTable- youre better off calling themSpecial Features:
- Great hibachi style foodJessDined on 8/31/2014Delicious hibachi style food with sushi bar. Also has a complete alcohol bar as well with open first come first serve seating. Recommend a reservation and will still wait at least 15 minutes on a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestMacAttackDined on 8/30/2014I've been to this restaurant many times. The chef seemed new- there was not enough food for everyone resulting in cooking twice. My chicken was undercooked and the restaurant was very warm in general.Special Features:
- Exceeds Expectations ConsistentlyJadaDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Nakama for lunch, dinner and happy hours and it NEVER ceases to amaze me! I mean all places have a time where they don't meet what you expect and have an off day; not here! It's hip, trendy and chic! Keep it upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMcgowan20Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant had great good and great service I would recommend to anyone who like steak sushi and seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veryverypickyDined on 8/15/2014The food was so great, absolutely loved it. Very happy I made reservations online or else we would have been sitting there for hours. Our cook was very good and very funny. It is very noisey in there. I couldn't hear my boyfriend sitting next to me. But the noise is not enough to keep us away. For sure coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutRK0429Dined on 8/15/2014Was able to make a reservation online through their website with ease and was seated promptly after being greeted at the door. The Pittsburgh Penguin sushi was excellent and the hibachi chef was a great guy. He was very friendly and put on a great show. Chicken Diablo is the best. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- boringlivetoeateattoliveDined on 8/14/2014I was looking for something fun for a change. the cook could not even break an egg. it was very loud and not very good. disappointed. It did not live up to the hype for me.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Have been to Nakama several times and was disappointed with this visit. The food was not as good-chicken and shrimp overcooked. I had to tell the server to replace a dish as it was dirty. The bathroom was a disgrace. No toilet paper in any stall and trash can over flowing. This is not a bar but a fairly expensive restaurant!! Not sure I'll return.Special Features:
- lepopoviVIPDined on 8/8/2014Love Nakama!! Food was excellent! My grandmother noted it was loud (yes) and there was no coffee! BUT other than that, she loved the food! Great time.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014We went to Nakama as a group of 4 for dinner prior to attending a show at the Benedum. We had a very enjoyable dinner. The chef that prepared our meal was very good, and was friendly. The menu was hard to read because of dim lighting and dark lettering on dark menus. I suggest the server explain the menu prior to ordering. Overall a very pleasant dining experience and I would/will recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time.ThatMaleNurseDined on 7/25/2014I have heard so many good things about Nakama and I was so excited to finally get to experience it first hand. The service was excellent. It took a small bit of time for the cooking of our food to begin but my date and myself were patient as it was a Friday night. Our cook had a wonderful personality and was very skilled. The scene was vibrant and so much fun to be in. I would recommend this restaurant definitely to anyone who is looking to do a group outing or anything of the sort.Special Features:
- The following 877 reviews are from the Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014We always have a great meal at Nakama...Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bignightoutDined on 7/22/2014The presentation was boring. But the food was delish. The kid birthday presentation was unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!TerriLipsDined on 7/19/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, and he absolutely loved it! He had never been to a Japanese Steakhouse before, and his first experience was perfect. The food and atmosphere were great, and the service was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific as usual.deRpDined on 7/11/2014I don't make it to Nakama nearly enough. Every time I go it is wonderful and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time ExperienceAllhypeDined on 7/5/2014For my first Tim it was the worst dining experience. I would have rather went to Pizza Hut. For all the things I heard about this place and to go with someone who been there before we both we're blown away. The chef was super quiet and not engaging food was a 4 on a scale of 1-10. We did receive a 10% off card for the next visit and was urged to come back but I don't know if I want to.. The person who Took me was embarrassed. She said she always have a great experience there and don't know what happened this time..
- Still got itWolverineDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I haven't been to Nakama in about 5 years. Everything was just as we remembered. Had a great time with great food. Who could ask for anything more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWinnieDined on 6/28/2014We have dined here a few times and every time the food is great. Our last visit, on 6/27, the chef was especially good. The food prep was enjoyable as always. Waiter seemed a little unsure of himself. We were only seated with 2 other people but enjoyed not having a full table. Good beer selection, full bar. We showed up a little early and were seated immediately.Special Features:
- Dinner for 2GoombaDined on 6/20/2014The setting is very nice and the food and adult beverage choices were a plenty... The only things that were a disruption was the "gong" being hit during a Happy Birthday and it was a little warm, temperature wise. I didn't know if it was from the fireballs or if the A/C was off... Overall it was fantastic...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food But NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014I took my daughter to Nakama for her high school graduation dinner. In retrospect, probably not the best choice for an evening where you want to have a conversation. The place was LOUD. Very difficult to hear the waiter or the cook for that matter.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food & service but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014When making my reservation the website noted the dress code was business casual, after arriving my fiancé & I was surprised at the actual attire people had on! We traveled an hour and half looking forward to a nice dinner with other well dress patrons and it was far from it, if your going to state a certain attire then it should be enforced. The lighting was not very good and the noise level was very distracting, not only was it difficult to speak with waiter but my fiancé & I had a hard time hearing each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a showJenniferDined on 6/1/2014I took my mom to Nakama for her birthday for something different because she always ends up at the same restaurants. She loved the experience and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankyGVIPDined on 5/22/2014Very noisy, somewhat expensive. Not a true Japanese experience, but enough choices. Great service.Special Features: