Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
1611 E. Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatatnakama.com/
- Phone: 412-381-6000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wed: 4:00pm - 10:00pm.; Thursday, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ron Dunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Appetizer & Sushi platters are available for off-site drop-off.
- Private Party Facilities: Nakama offers private dining accommodations for up to 35 guests.
A word from Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar is Pittsburgh's hip, fresh approach to Japanese cuisine. Nakama has won numerous awards including: Best Japanese/Sushi Restaurant by Pittsburgh Magazine, 2005, 06, 07,08,09,10,11, 12,13 &2014. Best New & Best Japanese Restaurant, City Paper, 2004,05,06, 07, 08 & 09 Best Sushi; Best Trendy Scene; Best Special Occasion Dining; Best in Upscale Casual Dining; Come in & see why Nakama is getting Pittsburgh's vote!!! Nakama is located at 1611 East Carson Street in the heart of the South Side. Enjoy the knife wielding chefs & experience why Nakama has the absolute best tasting hibachi grilled steak, chicken & seafood as well as the most awesome sushi in Pittsburgh. Valet parking is available Tuesdays thru Saturdays from 6:00pm! Nakama features Happy Hour Monday thru Friday from 5-7pm with specials on drinks & half off appetizers in their huge cocktail lounge. Nakama also offers a children's menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (50)special occasion (41)hot spot (22)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (10)romantic (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014The food was very good but the service was not so good. We went on a Weds night for my daughters birthday and our reservations were at 8 PM. The restaurant was busy but no over crowded. We were seated promptly at 8 PM but we sat at our table for a half hour before we got our soups/salads. I also feel the portions at Nakama are much smaller than the competition - Ichiban etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worse ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Food tasted burnt from grill... Rice was hard and crunchy... Customer service wasn't welcoming... Cannot do individual vegetables...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Arrived for our reservation at 9:30pm, table was still not ready. We were not seated until 9:55! No apology, comped appetizers, or drinks. Hostess' were rude. Sushi was mediocre. Save your money and stay off Carson st!
- Nervous CookLoveMeSomeNakamaDined on 9/13/2014The only reason why I rated Service as "Good" is because the guy who cooked the food in front of us didn't entertain us as much as I have seen other cooks entertain. The other times I have been there the cooks do all kind of different tricks and our cook only did 1 or 2. He was nice, but seemed nervous. Maybe we was new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerSouthSideExpDined on 9/9/2014What a great experience here at Nakama, Fun and entertaining along with a great dinner.Special Features:
- Give it an A+morriswhatugetDined on 9/6/2014Great service, great food, overall great evening spent with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table NOmoonmomDined on 8/31/2014Restaurant was very good, however they did NOT have my reservation through OpenTable- youre better off calling themSpecial Features:
- Great hibachi style foodJessDined on 8/31/2014Delicious hibachi style food with sushi bar. Also has a complete alcohol bar as well with open first come first serve seating. Recommend a reservation and will still wait at least 15 minutes on a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestMacAttackDined on 8/30/2014I've been to this restaurant many times. The chef seemed new- there was not enough food for everyone resulting in cooking twice. My chicken was undercooked and the restaurant was very warm in general.Special Features:
- Exceeds Expectations ConsistentlyJadaDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Nakama for lunch, dinner and happy hours and it NEVER ceases to amaze me! I mean all places have a time where they don't meet what you expect and have an off day; not here! It's hip, trendy and chic! Keep it upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMcgowan20Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant had great good and great service I would recommend to anyone who like steak sushi and seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veryverypickyDined on 8/15/2014The food was so great, absolutely loved it. Very happy I made reservations online or else we would have been sitting there for hours. Our cook was very good and very funny. It is very noisey in there. I couldn't hear my boyfriend sitting next to me. But the noise is not enough to keep us away. For sure coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutRK0429Dined on 8/15/2014Was able to make a reservation online through their website with ease and was seated promptly after being greeted at the door. The Pittsburgh Penguin sushi was excellent and the hibachi chef was a great guy. He was very friendly and put on a great show. Chicken Diablo is the best. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- boringlivetoeateattoliveDined on 8/14/2014I was looking for something fun for a change. the cook could not even break an egg. it was very loud and not very good. disappointed. It did not live up to the hype for me.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Have been to Nakama several times and was disappointed with this visit. The food was not as good-chicken and shrimp overcooked. I had to tell the server to replace a dish as it was dirty. The bathroom was a disgrace. No toilet paper in any stall and trash can over flowing. This is not a bar but a fairly expensive restaurant!! Not sure I'll return.Special Features:
- lepopoviDined on 8/8/2014Love Nakama!! Food was excellent! My grandmother noted it was loud (yes) and there was no coffee! BUT other than that, she loved the food! Great time.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014We went to Nakama as a group of 4 for dinner prior to attending a show at the Benedum. We had a very enjoyable dinner. The chef that prepared our meal was very good, and was friendly. The menu was hard to read because of dim lighting and dark lettering on dark menus. I suggest the server explain the menu prior to ordering. Overall a very pleasant dining experience and I would/will recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time.ThatMaleNurseDined on 7/25/2014I have heard so many good things about Nakama and I was so excited to finally get to experience it first hand. The service was excellent. It took a small bit of time for the cooking of our food to begin but my date and myself were patient as it was a Friday night. Our cook had a wonderful personality and was very skilled. The scene was vibrant and so much fun to be in. I would recommend this restaurant definitely to anyone who is looking to do a group outing or anything of the sort.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014We always have a great meal at Nakama...Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bignightoutDined on 7/22/2014The presentation was boring. But the food was delish. The kid birthday presentation was unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!TerriLipsDined on 7/19/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, and he absolutely loved it! He had never been to a Japanese Steakhouse before, and his first experience was perfect. The food and atmosphere were great, and the service was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific as usual.deRpDined on 7/11/2014I don't make it to Nakama nearly enough. Every time I go it is wonderful and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time ExperienceAllhypeDined on 7/5/2014For my first Tim it was the worst dining experience. I would have rather went to Pizza Hut. For all the things I heard about this place and to go with someone who been there before we both we're blown away. The chef was super quiet and not engaging food was a 4 on a scale of 1-10. We did receive a 10% off card for the next visit and was urged to come back but I don't know if I want to.. The person who Took me was embarrassed. She said she always have a great experience there and don't know what happened this time..
- Still got itWolverineDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I haven't been to Nakama in about 5 years. Everything was just as we remembered. Had a great time with great food. Who could ask for anything more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWinnieDined on 6/28/2014We have dined here a few times and every time the food is great. Our last visit, on 6/27, the chef was especially good. The food prep was enjoyable as always. Waiter seemed a little unsure of himself. We were only seated with 2 other people but enjoyed not having a full table. Good beer selection, full bar. We showed up a little early and were seated immediately.Special Features:
- Dinner for 2GoombaDined on 6/20/2014The setting is very nice and the food and adult beverage choices were a plenty... The only things that were a disruption was the "gong" being hit during a Happy Birthday and it was a little warm, temperature wise. I didn't know if it was from the fireballs or if the A/C was off... Overall it was fantastic...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food But NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014I took my daughter to Nakama for her high school graduation dinner. In retrospect, probably not the best choice for an evening where you want to have a conversation. The place was LOUD. Very difficult to hear the waiter or the cook for that matter.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food & service but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014When making my reservation the website noted the dress code was business casual, after arriving my fiancé & I was surprised at the actual attire people had on! We traveled an hour and half looking forward to a nice dinner with other well dress patrons and it was far from it, if your going to state a certain attire then it should be enforced. The lighting was not very good and the noise level was very distracting, not only was it difficult to speak with waiter but my fiancé & I had a hard time hearing each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 866 reviews are from the Nakama Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- Dinner and a showJenniferDined on 6/1/2014I took my mom to Nakama for her birthday for something different because she always ends up at the same restaurants. She loved the experience and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankyGVIPDined on 5/22/2014Very noisy, somewhat expensive. Not a true Japanese experience, but enough choices. Great service.Special Features:
- Good food, nice portions, funMrsSDined on 5/4/2014We had a great dinner at Nakama. The food was delicious and properly cooked. There were a lot of good choices on the menu, both for hibachi and sushi. The only issue we had, which made our overall experience a 4 instead of a 5, was that our server forgot to bring my wine and my husbands beer. We had to remind her to bring the drinks. Other than that, it was great, and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pittsburgh ChicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/20142nd and definitely NOT the last time I will be visiting. Favorite restaurant in the city!Special Features:
- Stick to SushiRichDined on 5/2/2014Our service was great, but the food was lacking and the restaurant was TOO LOUD to even hear the person next to you. This used to be our favorite spot for hibachi, not anymore. We'll be back for the sushi, some of the best in town, but that is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grad weekend lunch was AWESOME hereJulzDined on 4/25/2014I came here with my parents on the Friday before my college graduation at 3 pm. It was an excellent way for us to catch up because it was quiet at this time so we could have a nice conversation, but the service was still attentive and relaxed in a good way. Hibachi chef was funny and very personable. They paid attention to the fact that I was a vegetarian, and the food was SO good. Awesome spicy mayo sauce. Overall, totally recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceTerrell0629Dined on 4/24/2014If you're looking to enjoy a nice upscale bar scene before going out to a club or if you want to have a nice hibachi dinner, this is the place. Nakama is always a great experience with good food!Special Features:
- Never DisappointsSimplytheBestVIPDined on 4/23/2014Consistently great food and timely service. Always bring my out of town guests for a unique high end Hibachi meal and sushi.
- Wonderful.qorinthianDined on 4/18/2014I don't have much time, but I will tell you that this place is wonderful. The food is prepared right in front of you with flair and fun and the food is very very delicious. It is definitely worth the price, though some dishes are VERY expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Didn't appreciate the birthday ice cream and candle being added unexpectedly to my bill. Service was just ok.Special Features:
- DinnerTeachmeDined on 4/15/2014My only complaint. My reservations were for 7 along with my confirmation email however Nakama had them for 730 and then were mad when I showed them their mistake through my confirmation email. In fact the hostess pointing out on their screen that it said 730. It wasn't a big deal but it could be at a different time or day and what happened to the customer always is right.Especially when they actually are. So the hostess was rude and arrogant and less to be desired, at least if this was my restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing done right for bday dinnerGbondVIPDined on 4/13/2014We made our reservation on Opentable and under special comments listed our request for their birthday dessert with sparkler and gong. In order to make sure it happened I also made personal contact with the restaurant for the birthday request. That never happened but that was only the start. The five of us sat for a good 15 minutes and no one took our drink order. Then when our drinks came we ordered appetizers. The appetizers/rolls arrived when they were serving us dinner! Sort of defeats the purpose of an appetizer. After we were done having dinner the waitress came over and never asked about having dessert BUT she was quick with the $230 bill. We had been to Nakama MANY times before and it was our favorite but on this day it was the worst