3455 Overland Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90034Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.n-naka.com/
- Phone: 3108366252x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Niki Nakayama
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: n/naka is available for private parties and is happy to assist you in planning your event. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or 310.836.6252
A word from n/naka
n/naka offers seasonal tasting menus rooted in the Japanese kaiseki style of dining. In staying true to this style, we source the highest quality ingredients available and proudly use vegetables from our own organic garden. Through a blend of traditional and modern techniques, we offer our interpretation of kaiseki -- using the current season as our guide to provide a unique and satisfying dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
n/naka - Best Restaurants in Culver City ›
n/naka reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (50)fit for foodies (49)romantic (31)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (10)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Utterly disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Add this one to the list of LA hot spots that does not live up to the hype. Service: Excellent, they even sped up when they saw that we were waning Food: Some good pieces (duck with fig) interspersed with underwhelming and often difficult-to-eat ones (a rubbery steamed egg dish to be eaten with a wooden spoon). The sushi course was the highlight - beautifully prepared pieces were simple and elegant, but even these exquisite pieces of fish could not make up for the rest or justify the price. Ambiance: Quiet, perhaps too quiet, as you can hear the actual conversations of the three other tables close to you. Wine: They serve a French wine at $12/glass that costs 3 Euro per BOTTLE - emblematic of the entire experience.Special Features:
- Waste of MoneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/3/2014We eat out every night and are very involved in the restaurant scene in LA. This was on of the worst meals that we have eaten in 10 years. The chef is not talented. Her combinations attempt to be interesting but show a lack of understanding of science and taste. For example, a delicate dish includes very acidic tomatoes which not only negate the flavor of the fish but leave a bad taste in the mouth. Even though we had pre-paid $150/person, we left after even the sushi was mediocre.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The food is sublime. We have dined at n/naka before and are continually impressed with Chef Niki's ability to elevate all of her dishes esthetically and with seasonal freshness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long meal, but worth the time!iheartfoodVIPDined on 8/29/2014Allot a good 2 hours for this experience, but it's worth it! Delicious food, beautiful presentation, quality ingredients, and the nicest waitstaff. It's pricey, but given all those things just mentioned, you don't leave feeling robbed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals of my life!DCarl1Dined on 8/29/2014Amazing meal - from the attentive but not over-the-top service, to the flavors, to the presentation. Without a written menu, every course came as a lovely surprise, and all were phenomenal. Plus nice touches like some of the produce being from the chef's garden. Chef Nakayama is a genius.Special Features:
- Best in the WestSalvoVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is the best restaurant in L.A. and perhaps the West. Magnificent preparation, attention to detail, freshness and mix of flavors is unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just perfectTaToSDined on 8/27/2014Here I only can rate 5 stars, that's not enough. It was superb. I could see an excellent progress comparing to last year's dining, which was 5 stars.Special Features:
- MasterfulIH04Dined on 8/23/2014Truly a hidden gem. One of the great meals of my life - comparable to any 2-star Michelin restaurant to which I've been. Elegant dishes with amazing depth of flavor, and service that is flawlessly attentive without being stodgy, amidst a tranquil atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoLawyerFoodieVIPDined on 8/20/2014I was really, really looking forward to my meal here but it just didn't live up to the hype. The "plusses:" the restaurant is beautiful, quiet and intimate, service was excellent, presentation was beautiful, food was extremely fresh, every wine pairing was delicious, and the chef came out at the end to say hello. The minusses: the food was not particularly inventive, there was not enough food served, and we sat right near the front door which does not shut when people come in so the street noise continuously disrupted the ambience. Although the ambience was lovely, the quality and "spark" of the food was not enough for me to return or recommend.Special Features:
- suzisuzi0088Dined on 8/19/2014I really enjoyed N/Naka it was 2nd time there. Food superb and wine and sake were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!!!AnggieVIPDined on 8/16/2014This is one of our favorite places to take our out-of-town guests. Everyone whom we have taken there has been impressed not only by the quality of the food and the beautiful presentation, but also by the soulfulness of the courses. This place deserves 3 Michelin Stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAngBanjDined on 8/15/2014n/naka was a most amazing experience. Intricate care is taken to present the food to make it as beautiful as it is delicious. There are surprising combinations (such as the friend tempura of shiso leaf and tuna that was just so delicious, crunchy, and juicy that I thought it had to be pork). There was a refreshing menu change from just the last time I was there. Just when you think it can't get better, it does. The menu and food are creative and sophisticated, yet some courses hits a variation of the comfort/home food feel too. I look forward to seeing what the winter menu brings!Special Features:
- Deserves a VisitpricetoflavorDined on 8/9/2014N/Naka was a fantastic fine dining experience. We went for a special occassion and were impressed with the fantastic menu. We had some of the best versions of dishes we've ever had, including the scallop, toro sushi, pasta, and beef.Special Features:
- One of LA's Bestduchess310Dined on 8/8/2014Easily one of Los Angeles's best restaurants. Their modern kaseiki is one of the best outside of Japan, and the sushi course rivals that of restaurants in LA specializing in sushi. The presentation is as gorgeous as the flavors, and while the food is inventive, it's very mature in that there is nothing show-offy or unusual for the sake of being unusual.Special Features:
- Always a hitOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014Food and service are spectacular. Each course is prepared delicately with such an attention to detail. Food is fresh with vibrant flavors...some vegetables and herbs are grown in the chef's garden. Best wine and saki pairings with a meal I've ever had. One of the best restaurants in LA in my book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Building exterior is not appealing at all. The way to the kitchen looks pretty bad. Needs a little more sophisticated touch inside and outside.Overall looks pretty cheap. Food tastes very good but it is too bad.... Too much fish and too little meat. Corn and snow crab soup's crab tastes not good.Special Features:
- N/Naka - Where are your stars??FoodieHeavenDined on 7/18/2014This is clearly one of the few best restaurants in LA, if not the country. Having just returned from Japan i can definitively tell you that the best of Kyoto has nothing on this gem. The fact that N/Naka doesn't have 2 or 3 Michelin stars is a crime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artistry Eaten HereHowardHalmVIPDined on 7/16/2014Most reviews describe the food platings and dinnerware but this one will emphasize the fastidious service by the wait staff, headed by Keiko who greeted, served and bade us goodby after calling our car for us. Also, it was a nice touch that Chef Nikki greeted us after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousasplannedDined on 7/12/2014My boyfriend and I have been to many, many fine restaurants all over the country and this meal was definitely in the top 5 - perfection. Divine - skillfully and creatively prepared. each bite was an explosion of intense flavor. Wait staff attentive, meeting chef was great. Only thing that could have been improved upon was dessert...but it didn't really matter since we were thrilled with the 13 courses. Would totally recommend and can't wait to go back. Thanks again.Special Features:
- Extraordinary mealJennernugenDined on 7/8/2014Each course is delicately balanced and a pleasure to the palate. Strong start and finish, with a solid and varied selection of dishes throughout the middle of the service. Attentive and knowledgable staff will guide you through the experience and help recommend the proper sake accompaniment per section (we did this rather than the drink pairing).Special Features:
- Extraordinary.....markdmarcVIPDined on 7/3/2014An amazing journey....every taste a sensation....impeccable service. Expensive...but oh so so worth it! What an incredible meal....and the chef is a delight....an amazing journey....Special Features:
- Authentic Kaiseki ExperienceDIzzyVIPDined on 7/2/2014Beautiful and delicious food. What a treat, the experience transported me to Japan, even if I've never been. All the ingredients were fresh, the seafood, incredible beef and greens were just wonderful. The cost may mean it would be a special occasion place for most, (like myself) but I'm very happy I went. The servers couldn't be any nicer, explaining each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovetoeatVIPDined on 6/28/2014Definitely the epitome of fine dining. Nikki Naka knows how to make your evening a special one. The is one of the top 3 fine dining on the westside. A place to celebrate a special occasion or to entertain someone that enjoys fine dining.
- PerfectRandyVIPDined on 6/26/2014Everything was absolutely incredible. The food was perfect and the wine pairing was delightful. This was easily one of the best meals I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experienceZangrandeDined on 6/19/2014Everything, from the reception was perfect. Entire team was really aware of all plates and all we're very special. Yuna (sorry if I wrote it wrong) was my attendant and it was perfect, any flavor, wine pairing and experience she knew how to explain to me. The great final was when the chef came for a little chat, she was perfect during the night. This Japanese experience is very similar to Jun Sakamoto experience in Brazil, really expensive, but exceptional. Unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HAPPINESS DISCOVERED!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Exploration of culinary happiness discovered. N/Naka is a gem, I absolutely love this restaurant, this is truly a dining experience. What do I consider a fine dining experience? A ritual delicate of fine red wine 2008 Silver Oak, a symphony of harmonious 13 course meal all coming together in such exquisite preparation, my senses perfectly attuned to the moment, outstanding service. Leaving this restaurant made me feel satisfied, and longing for more, and I truly feel dined. SUPERB!Special Features:
- A Rare talent!CollieFlowerVIPDined on 6/4/2014Niki Nakayama's talents are rare indeed. Each serving demonstrates her mastery of the culinary and aesthetic elements of cuisine. She's the best of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- billchinVIPDined on 5/29/2014Best tasting menu the four of us had in a long time. The service was brisk, attentive and friendlySpecial Features:
- No wordsLisaDined on 5/28/2014There are no words to describe a visit to this place. It is a bit of a life changing experience. Chef Nikki prepares prix fixe 13 course meals from the heart. And each one is more delicious and beautiful than the next. If you are lucky enough to eat here, then you are really really really lucky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kaiseki omakase style is unrealJeremyVIPDined on 5/22/2014I love Japanese food. I've lived in Japan and speak Japanese. My wife is Japanese and we spend a lot of time there. N/Naka creates the best kaiseki experience either of us have ever had, and we've been fortunate to experience kaiseki in Kyoto, Nademan in Tokyo and Ryugin on the 101 fl in Hong Kong. Plan 2.5 hours to dine and make sure you know the address. There are no signs on the outside. Urasawa was our special-occasion go-to place. N/Naka is better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!ktsai4Dined on 5/10/2014The food was fantastic and very delicately and carefully made. The quality of the food was also top notch.Special Features:
- The following 198 reviews are from the n/naka reviews archive.
- A memorable experiencedeaddocDined on 5/3/2014One fabulous course after another, delicious and exquisitely presented. Truly a special-occasion place. Excellent sake and wine selections too, with some surprising choices. The chef is quite personable and it's nice that she comes out to say hello to every diner.Special Features:
- Excellent All AroundAngBanjDined on 5/1/2014Dinner was excellent! It was my 4th time dining at the restaurant and each time, nothing is lacking with respect to food quality/taste, service and ambience. The menu changes regularly that each experience is unique, while getting to try some favorite ingredients different ways. The taste palette and ingredients are so creatively constructed! It's so exciting to get each course, with a description of flavors, ingredients, and food sourcing. Everything's explained and if you add on the wine/sake pairing, you experience an extremely well thought out dinner/alcohol menu.Special Features:
- n/naka againgoldstandardDined on 4/18/2014A fourth time experiencing n/naka and each time has been exceptional. I miss the 9 course, less expensive alternative, but overall this restaurant is an experience not to be missed by any fan of superb food and presentation. Their accommodation to dietary restrictions was flawless and without fuss. I can't wait to have another occasion to splurge and return to n/naka.Special Features:
- great servicejcblaDined on 4/18/2014Imaginative menu and great service. You get what you pay for.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/17/2014This is the best restaurant I have found in LA. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- N/Naka is SpecialAresverdeVIPDined on 4/17/2014This was at least my 10th visit. As usual the dining experience was off the charts. As is her custom, Nicki outdid herself with creative, savory and beautiful courses we had never experienced before. That is her way and it never ceases to amaze me. I'm told she selects from a collection if 1,000's of courses and keeps track if what she has previously served to her repeat diners. She made one exception because I so enjoyed the dish on my last previous visit and she re-served her truffled pasta, which for my money is the best pasta in Lis Angeles, no exceptions. The uni dish was incredible as was the savory grade one Japanese beef. Another evening in culinary Paradise:-) thank you Nicki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Chef Niki!gamedudeDined on 4/16/2014Wonderful 16 course Modern Kaiseki dinner. We savored every single masterpiece..... some items were so pretty, we didn't want to eat them! Super fine presentation, delicately balanced, and the utmost attention to detail and service. Perfect for those special occasions! Once again, Niki, you rock!!Special Features:
- Food elevated to an art formSKLAVIPDined on 4/12/2014I'm at a loss for words because this dining experience was felt deep in the heart and soul. It was my second time there and both times were exquisite...pristine ingredients executed perfectly and presented in thoughtful and creative ways. Service was very attentive while being completely unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantzachbDined on 4/1/2014Great service, intricate platings, excellent techniques and tasty flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.