Myth Taverna & Lounge
152 Post Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Myth Taverna & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mythsj.com/
- Phone: 4082867678
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Sa 5pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: David Ramsay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fully customizable menus for breakfast, lunch, dinners, cocktail/hors de oeuvers parties.
- Private Party Contact: David Ramsay 5103867379
- Entertainment: Special Events, Happy Hour, weekly concert series, Reggae Happy Hour Fridays,Sonic Sunday events once a month, offsite catering
A word from Myth Taverna & Lounge
MYTH Taverna serves modern greek cuisine in an urban downtown setting. Gorgous patio, specially crafted cocktails, and special eventsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Myth Taverna & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
- Tiki bar?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2013Yes, this was the old Tiki bar. Myth Taverna has great food. I had the meatball appetizer and the veggie baklava. Really good. My wife had the beef and lamb gyro. She loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was horrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/29/2013The staff was awesome and that is it. Drinks were watered down and most of the food was uneatable. Happy Hours prices were great so we tried. Not worth it.
- Modern twist on Greek fareAmygdaliaDined on 5/18/2013I suspect that, as any good taverna in Greece, the place doesn't start filling up until significantly later in the evening. We had a 5 PM reservation (their opening time) in order to make it to a film at the Tech Museum. We were the only guests in the place during our meal. The outdoor seating may be quite lovely on an afternoon when it's less windy. We were easily able to move inside, where the modern decor felt about as far from taverna-like as possible. Nonetheless, the food was well presented, fresh, and plentiful. The menu has changed a bit from that posted online, though we were not disappointed with the choices we made - chicken souvlaki skewers & rich prawns with orzo pasta. Looking for a refreshing cocktail? Try the Olympian!Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!PippaDined on 5/16/2013Picked this place because the outdoor patio, and it was a perfect spot for catching up with friends. Luckily, we had the whole patio to ourselves, which made for a great private gathering. I'm sure once other find it, they will want to be here too. It's a great spot for after work drinks, private parties as it's off the radar now. I'm sure once people find it, it's will be a hot spot. Caveats, SJC airport is close by so all the plans pass over and noise can sometimes be an issue. It's not that bad, but just a little FYI. Parking is across the street in a garage, and there is street parking as well, but limited. Poo Poo's were good so will have to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and drinks!MistyVIPDined on 4/9/2013The food at Myth was surprisingly outstanding. We tried the eggplant dip with pita, a chicken kabob, both salads, and a couple of the entrees. The cocktails were also fabulous. It was a ton of food and everything was delicious. The seating was a bit odd for comfortable dining. Myth is currently set up more for drinks and apps, but the waiter was telling us it's under new ownership and they will soon be remodeling. With the excellent food we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Worth checking outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013Attentive and friendly service. My wife and I both enjoyed our dinners. My wife made a point of finding the chef to let him know how good her dinner was (Chicken kabob). We want to go back when it is warmer to take advantage of the nice outdoor dining area. Don't be discouraged by the outside appearance and location slightly "off the beaten path". It's nicer inside and worth your time.
- Good food, good prices andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013Good food, good prices and service. On par w Opa but better food.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable - food andstevehoganDined on 3/9/2013Very enjoyable - food and service was very good. For 6:30 on a Saturday night, however, it was dead. Us and one other couple plus a family with children who were running around. That was bothersome and I hope not indicative of every time. We will undoubtedly try again.Special Features:
- Ok place if you enjoy mediocrityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013I went here when it was the Tiki Lounge or whatever it was called. It still had the feel of that place and the new owners just stuck booths and cheesy tables on the floor. The waiter seemed unenthusiastic about being there and the food itself. I wouldn't say uppity, but definitely not really into the whole serving thing. The food was okay. Surprisingly they had no beef dishes which my date had wanted, but ended getting the lamb/beef dish. Even though she does not like lamb, she was able to eat her meal. My pork dish was good, but nothing special. The mashed potatoes were well seasoned and sadly the stand out dish of our meal. We also had the chicken skewer appetizers which were dry and the naan which was run of the mill.
- Don't take Mom here for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013Good for people who are going on a date or friends hanging out after work but not a family friendly or budget friendly place. Appetizer portions are small for the price, especially during happy hour. "Greek" fries are a rip off for an add'l $2 because they barely put any feta cheese on them. Even though you get less in a "Greek" salad you'll pay more for it over a garden salad. The 'speciality' cocktails/martinis are $12 in a small glass! The waiter, though, was very nice.Special Features:
- Myth has great food. ThisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013Myth has great food. This is our new favorite restaurant.
- The restaurant was almostOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2013The restaurant was almost empty on a saturday evening. Hopefully by the time the music started playing people showed up. We left at 10 pm. The food was just OK, not Greek though. I know and love Greek food.Special Features:
- service was excellent, waitcagsscDined on 2/8/2013service was excellent, wait staff was very friendly. Not a traditional restaurant in set-up so a little different than we were expecting, lounge-type seating inside, coffee table height tables. We did have the option to sit outside but even with outdoor heaters its coooold. Fun vibe, great decorations and excellant service, just be aware that it is not a traditional dining restaurant.
- A Keeper in Downtoan San JoseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013We tend to classify restaurants relatively loosely: Keepers, and the rest. Myth Taverna is a KEEPER! We were under a time crunch to see a show and the wait staff and manager were fabulous at getting us out on time. Luckily, they weren't too busy the early Friday evening we ate there, but they started to fill up as we were leaving. That worked to our advantage, as we kept ordering Greek tapas plates (YUMMY dolmathes [stuffed grape leaves], spanikopita, marinated olives, gyro spaganaki), soup (fakes [lentils]), and entree (braised lamb shank with lentils-WOW).The house wine is good (white goes with olives and spanikopita, red with dolmathes and entree). Happy hour runs until 7, and the bartenders were busy until we left. Go, and enjoy!Special Features:
- They didn't have our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/30/2013They didn't have our reservation (even though they sent me an email confirming it). The food was cold. The wine tasted old.
- We enjoyed our dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2013We enjoyed our dinner and had a good time watching the 49ers.Special Features:
- 4 of us went early for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/20/20124 of us went early for dinner before the night time crowd started. Used. Living Social deal for 4 from the Prixe Fix menu and where completely surprised at the selection of food, quantity perfect and entree choices were very well rounded. The flavors were surprisingly amazing (our 2nd visit) for a place that seems like a lounge/nightclub more than a restaurant. I am gluten free and they were very accommodating considering we were using LS deal & prixe fix. The topper was the 2 drinks EACH included! Even without the deal we would have paid for the good food, great drinks and exceptional service. Server was very knowledgable about the food and shared his personal favorites which we agreed. Overall we would definitely recommend MythSpecial Features:
- Outdoor dining ambience wOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2012Outdoor dining ambience w folding tables and airplanes roaring by we're badly romantic. Inside ambience with running water n soft lighting more so. Food very good tasty and well prepared. Service very attentive.Special Features:
- Food and service were excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2012Food and service were excellent! We brought some friends who had not been here before and everyone loved it.Special Features:
- Food and service was great.MMcIVIPDined on 10/20/2012Food and service was great. Sat outside with heaters, but there was a slight breeze so it was a little cool. Will definitely return when the evening is warmer.Special Features:
- Very nice new find. FirstOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2012Very nice new find. First time there. Design and feel of the place is very cosmopolitan! Cool place and the food and service were great! Would go back!Special Features:
- The service was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012The service was extremely slow. We asked for bread which we got at the end of the meal.Food came out late and cold!Water was never refilled.Ambience, Live music is good.This place seems more of a lounge place than a restaurant.
- Looks can be deceiving fromfoodisgoodforthesoulVIPDined on 10/4/2012Looks can be deceiving from the outside. We were pleasantly surprised to see the decor as we walked in. Service was superb and food was excellent. Wouldn't mind coming back here again.Special Features:
- The food very enjoyable andjanlikebeerVIPDined on 10/3/2012The food very enjoyable and the service friendly. will go back.Special Features:
- Food great, seating not so much!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012The food at Myth was excellent! Everything served in beautiful plates, food was hot, service was very good. Our only complaint was the seating. There is a nice outside patio with regular tables and chairs. However, there was a musical group playing which was too loud and prohibited any conversation with our dinner partners. So we moved inside. The inside is designed as a bar only and also not conducive to dinner conversation. While it was quiet, the tables were small and very low - designed for cocktails only. Eating a meal on them was difficult. And all tables were for two so we had to sit in a row on a bench instead of a regular table of 4 setup. This would also be a difficult place to eat in cold weather!Special Features:
- Fun Times!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012The place was great! A wonderful evening. Server was very attentive. Will go back.
- The smoky grilled bread isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2012The smoky grilled bread is worth the visit alone. That said, I've eaten there many times and always had a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Took family on an off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012Took family on an off night so there were few customers there. Their website made it look far more vibrant than it actually was. Perhaps on the weekends it actually is better but it was nearly in the flight path to San Jose airport
- Really nice patio. Wish theyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2012Really nice patio. Wish they allowed dogs...if they did, we would come more often.Special Features:
- We went based on reviews butOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/25/2012We went based on reviews but were disappointed. This place is actually a bar that happens so have a big menu . That is ok but if you were expecting a restaurant like atmosphere - you will be disappointed. It also seems to turn into a night club later on and had lots of people setting up tables etc for later . The menu is large - lots of authentic greeks listed . Soup was good but everything was down hill from there. The menu items sounded good but were nothing like the Greek orginals . Haloumi cheese was unrecognizable drowned in balsamic reduction, "Patates" turned out to be overcooked fries with some feta cheese on and the Gigantes were dry , tasteless, reheated in microwave with strange spicy sauce . We will not be backSpecial Features:
- Went to celebrate a specialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2012Went to celebrate a special occasion with a group of friends. Restaurant was perfect for our group and plates were great for sharing. Our waiter provided outstanding service. He was very attentive and even quickly moved us inside when the patio area became too cold. The only downside was the drinks were a little weak.Special Features:
- Great Greek Food, A Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2012I couldn't believe how nice this place was. The combination of great Jazz music from a live band and the best greek food I've had in awhile makes this one of the best places to go in San Jose. I would have no problem taking my family there for early dinner (the place was transitioning to an adult night club which also looked fun). The couch setup, the very tasteful outdoor dining and the live Jazz music made this a great dining experience. People should give this a try. Its a great place to dine.Special Features:
- Food was great, the waiterswthyperazngurlDined on 7/6/2012Food was great, the waiter was nice. A little noisy with the garage beeping every so often. Towards the end of the night the waiter seemed really busy because of all the ppl coming in, but otherwise I liked it and would come back.Special Features:
- Everything was wonderful,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012Everything was wonderful, one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. Don't be fooled by the outside, once you enter, it's magic. Best food, best service, I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good, could be great.EviesmomDined on 6/28/2012We came for the Dine Downtown deal they were having. For $20 each, we got an appetizer, main and dessert. The chicken skewers and meatballs were excellent, although initially we asked for spanokopita which was out already, bummer. Then we ordered the pork stew and lamb gyro. Pork stew was so-so, could have bought anywhere and didn't taste greek to me. There was plenty of it but was simple, could have made at home. Gyro was delicious and plentiful. Enough food to feed the kids. Donuts and choco cake were very good. Few problems: waiter brought out wrong beer and then that beer wasn't cold. Forgot the extra pita bread we asked for. Took quite a while to get our bill. Overall not bad, would consider coming again for a second chance.Special Features:
- This is a lounge more thanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012This is a lounge more than a restaurant. Waiter Tom was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food and outstanding service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2012We went on our anniversary, and they treat us very nice. They even had flowers and a little candle on our table. The food was great and the service from he waitress and the bar tender were outstanding. The ambiance is more for younger people, music is too techno, but if just go to have great food at a very reasonable price you won't be dissapointed. Cocktails are very good too.Special Features:
- We had the prix fixe dinner.YummyDined on 5/9/2012We had the prix fixe dinner. The variety of food was wonderful and very nicely presented. Also, the choices of entrees was excellent. The meal came with 4 appetizers, entrees, and dessert, plus 2 drinks per person. It is a great value. Everything was delicious. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- The food and service are superb.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/5/2012The food and service are superb. Every bite was a fantastic experience in Greek dining. The server was attentive without being intrusive and the ambience was well apportioned for a modern dining experience.Special Features:
- The ambiance and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2012The ambiance and food were excellent but the service was slow and the server mixed up the order and forgot the drinks.Special Features: