M.Y. China - SF
845 Market Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
M.Y. China - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mychinasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 580-3001
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:00 am-2:45 pm
Lunch: Sat-Sun 11:00 am-2:45 pm
Bar Menu: weekdays 2:30 pm-5:00 pm
Dinner: Sun-Th 3:00 pm-9:00 pm
Dinner: Fri-Sat 3:00 pm-9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Tony Wu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from M.Y. China - SF
SEE, TASTE and DISCOVER authentic Chinese cuisine in the heart of downtown San Francisco. Inspired by years of experience traveling through China, we bring the best ingredients, flavors and techniques. Watch our chefs in action as they prepare every dish in front of your eyes. See world champion noodle dancers pull giant balls of dough into thousands of thin noodles. Taste delicate hand-folded dim sum, and live wok-tossed dished, all in our open exhibition kitchen. Discover ancient Chinese tradition brought to life and interpreted in a thoroughly modern way!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
M.Y. China - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)good for groups (109)great for lunch (76)special occasion (75)hot spot (59)kid-friendly (33)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (23)romantic (21)great for brunch (17)notable wine list (14)late-night find (13)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Food is okay but one wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/9/2013Food is okay but one would expect more than okay from this restaurant and in this city.
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/9/2013Great food, great service, beautiful restaurant, genial Maitre'd (sp?, returning for third visit next week.Special Features:
- Took my daughter and Mom forOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/9/2013Took my daughter and Mom for lunch-had wonton soup, pear salad, shrimp, and bok choy. Everything was delicious!
- The food was fabulous, thefudgefactorDined on 1/9/2013The food was fabulous, the service excellent, and the ambience perfect. We loved the view of the kitchen and watching the food preparation. The cocktails are excellent; I had the Buddha Mary which is very spicy, but oh so perfect with the food, especially the devine Kabocha Soup. The juicy dumplings were extraordinary - completely delicious. The Walnut honey Shrimp were crisp and had a simple purity of flavors. The eggplant side dish was delicious but could be a little less sweet by my tastes. My husband had the Hot and Sour Soup, which was very good but so out-shone by the Kabocha Soup. The one element that didn't wow me completly was the soup base with the beef noodle dish. All round superb experience.Special Features:
- Loved the Open Kitchen!TominSOMAVIPDined on 1/5/2013Second time here. Very good food, and we tried something from pretty much every section of the menu at both visits. The space is quite nice and I love the open kitchen. The dessert menu was also very creative. The service on both occasions was a bit rough, and could use some tightening up. On our first visit the restaurant was understaffed, and our waiter was struggling as a result. On our most recent visit the wait staff was more efficient, but after taking our order we never saw the waiter again until she came over after we were done and asked if we wanted more wine. We would have, about 15 minutes earlier.
- The food that we received was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/5/2013The food that we got was really good. However, one member of our party never got her entre. Apparantly it got delivered to another table. The restaurant did very little to fix the problem. They kept saying that she would get her food but everyone else was done and her food still wasn't there. The server took it off the bill but no other apology was made. There was no comped dessert,etc. And really, why did they make us wait while they made a whole new dish? They should have just given her the next one that was ready instead of making us feel the brunt of their mistake. Basically, someone screwed up and they did not try very hard to fix it. After that experience, I'm not sure if we'll be back even though we really enjoyed our food.
- Don't bother!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/5/2013Lunch: Wild boar soup dumplings - The spoons that the dumplings were steamed in were too hot to pickup. Wrappers were thick and the bottom stuck to the spoon. Usually the use of a spoon is so that you don't lose the soup, but the spoons were way too big to fit in ones mouth. The flavor of the wild boar was just so so. It's terrible that they served with the sweet red vinegar instead of the traditional fragrant black vinegar. For an Asian fine dinning establishment, Hakkasan clearly has the much superior soup dumplings and with the service to match. Beef noodle soup - extremely soggy spongy noodles, beef consists of mostly tendon and the broth was not tasty and sweet. Whole wheat potstickers - Greasy and not crispy on the bottom at al
- Another wonderful food experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/5/2013Another wonderful food experience. The dim sum choices are outstanding, the shrimp was another highlight and the chicken wings and calamari on the small plates selections make for great sharing with friends.Special Features:
- The food was a mixed bag.Lovestoeat66VIPDined on 1/5/2013The food was a mixed bag. Some items (chicken bau dim sum and crispy noodle with chicken) were only fair. Other items (green papaya salad with shrimp - altho there were very few shrimp on the dish - and shrimp spring rolls)were quite good. Service was very good, but restaurant is all hard surfaces and very noisy. Would go back to try other things if I was out shopping but this is not a destination restaurant.
- The food was great, most notableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013The food was great, most notable the a spicy seafood dumplings and the mu shu pork tacos, and just a note: the five spice pork ribs are lightly battered! Over all great food, and plenty of left oversSpecial Features:
- Delicious!ORdBVIPDined on 1/4/2013Crispy chicken is a must. The dim sum are delicious. Fried green beens are perfect. Attentive service. Good prices. Nice full bar.Special Features:
- Special occasion restaruant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/4/2013Special occasion restaruant. Food was great and unusual.Special Features:
- The Kung Pao Dungeness crabShannynVIPDined on 1/4/2013The Kung Pao Dungeness crab was absolutely delicious and the spicy seafood dumplings are excellent!Special Features:
- OK, but could have been betterKeithSFVIPDined on 1/3/2013Ambiance is Las Vegas casino celeb chef restaurant. I'd assumed the handmade noodles would be the star of the menu, but not true. The noodle dishes we tried, Squid Ink Noodles with Seafood (a few black noodles here and there) and the Vegetarian Longevity Noodle Soup (overly oily and bland), were on the small side and not very interesting. The "Wok" entrees we tried, Beef Short Ribs Claypot and the Sweet & Sour Pork, were large and more enjoyable. As for the Crispy Roast Chicken, we've had better elsewhere at half the price. It had a pickle garnish that tasted of nothing but salt. Rice comes in tiny individual clay pots that don't make any sense. But we loved the Crispy Organic Tofu and the Hot & Sour Soup.Special Features:
- Food quality seems high butjunepakVIPDined on 1/3/2013Food quality seems high but taste in most of the dishes I ordered were lacking a bit. Particularly the seafood noodles and calamari. Service was below average after coming twice in the past month. They're trying to be higher end than your typical Chinese restaurant but still bring the food out when it's ready as opposed to when all of the main dishes are complete for the table. That's pretty low class in my opinion. I got my entree after my date had already starting eating hers for over 5 minutes. Also, everything is way overpriced. Most of the appetizers or small plates are around $10 give or take $2, but the quantity is so small. However, SF doesn't have many places like this so I will probably go back sporadically. Try it once.Special Features:
- Great Chinese in fabulous fashionSemiLocalVIPDined on 1/3/2013I took my staff here for lunch today and could not have had a greater experience. The food was quite tasty - not your run of the mill Chinese food. Rich flavors without the salty, oily, saucy norm you may be used to. Each dish was delicious on its own. The noodle throwing by their staff of noodle-persons was fun and unique - VERY engaging. Loved it!Special Features:
- We have dined here are fewOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/1/2013We have dined here are few times, but this time was with my in-laws (who are Chinese). They thought the food was quite good. They were very impressed with the new-age twist on traditional dishes.Special Features:
- M.Y. China , Sf A must eat 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/1/2013Wow . A wonderful place to dine. You can take a date Or your family and friends.Just Amazing.. Very attenative staff without hovering. Excellent food and service. You really will forget that your in A mall.Special Features:
- Amazing. Great 'cutting edge'OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/1/2013Amazing. Great 'cutting edge' yet 'traditional' Chinese food. Really enjoyed the noodle stretcher guy.Special Features:
- Still learning , as restaurantMinouDined on 1/1/2013Still learning , as restaurant new. Service confused, not knowing who ordered what delivering wrong dish and then putting it on bill, not clearing dishes as finished(at all). Five of us ordered four appetizers/small plates and three different noodle dishes but nothing stood out. The har gow was quite good especially the spicy dipping sauce but the rest seemed monochromatic in flavors. Given the surfeit of great restaurants at this time I would not go back. In a few months I would go back to try a few other small plates.
- I recommend this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/1/2013I recommend this restaurant. We ordered these dishes and loved all of them: Roasted chicken was tender and really good. Shrimp dumpling in dim sum good Juicy dumpling (steamed) very good Smoked pork belly so good Squid ink noodle dish was good too We also had Peking duck, shu mai dim sum and Dan Dan noodle. They are good but for me they are not great but worth trying still. Dan Dan noodle came cold which is not something I am used to. The one dish I would not recommend to try is crispy Hk noodle. A bit dry.Special Features:
- The restaurant looks fantastic.OaktownVIPDined on 1/1/2013The restaurant looks fantastic. Very big restaurant with a nice large bar. Expecting food to be good since you can see the cooks making the noodle fresh. Was extremely disappointed when the food came out. No flavor and extremely bland. So much potential. PF Chang would be a 3 Stars Michelin restaurant compare to M.Y. China.
- Overpriced and largely flavorlessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012I can't remember when I was this disappointed in a restaurant. Somehow because this restaurant received an ok to good review in the SF Chronicle, I assumed it would be good. It was not. While the atmosphere is up-scale, the food is very ordinary. Very bland, Cantonese-style food with tasteless, corn starch-thickened sauces. I will admit the ingredients were of high quality, but you can do much better elsewhere and pay one-half or one-third as much. As someone who lives a few hours away from S.F. and doesn't get into town for a meal that often, I considered this a wasted meal.
- A Good Chinese RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012The calamari appetizer was a bit small and the temperature should be ideally (temperature) warmer. But, it was delicious nevertheless. Definitely try their prawn with honey walnut and their noodle dishes! The restaurant decoration is beautiful. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Since this is a very new restaurantSkykingVIPDined on 12/30/2012Since this is a very new restaurant, I can't answer most of the questions. We went at an off time on the day before new year, prior to a movie. It was a very pleasant experience, & we would all try it again.
- Great for drinks and appetizers.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/30/2012Great for drinks and appetizers. Pricey for Chinese food, especially when you can pay just as much and eat twice as much elsewhere. Liked the noodles and cocktails. Service is spotty, like forgetting spoons for soup or even chopsticks.Special Features:
- All waiters and Martin YanBambiDined on 12/29/2012All waiters and Martin Yan himself were very social; the noodle pulling activities keep kids entertained.Special Features:
- I found the food to be ok.Luv2EatDined on 12/28/2012I found the food to be ok. The staff needed more experience with the opening of the restaurant and seating of guests. We had 5:30 reservation and checked in with the host. Was told the restaurant did not open until 5:30. There must have been at least 20 people waiting to get seated. There should be a better system implemented when people check in to seat them in the order they checked in, similar to a beeper system or the like. Probably would not be returning for a while.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/28/2012The Service Staff were attentive but the delivery of the meals was inconsistent and at times quite slow. The restaurant is still quite new and hopefully the bugs will be worked out. It would be nice if they did promote the Dim Sum there in wagons.
- Went to MY China to celebratevickieDined on 12/27/2012Went to MY China to celebrate my birthday with some family members. The highlight was meeting Martin Yan -- super friendly and nice to us. Great decor and always felt very welcome. Have grown up with Cantonese food and eat at all kinds of Asian restaurants in the Bay Area. Appeciate the chefs efforts to be a little different with some of the flavors. Was great to be entertained by the Holiday light show in the Dome while we were waiting for our table. Looking forward to trying lunch there soon.Special Features:
- While there, we ordered mostlyMarinLocalVIPDined on 12/27/2012While there, we ordered mostly dim sum. Flavors were a little 'mild', as we expected more ginger, garlic, green onions added to some of the more common dumplings. Good food, just not 'exceptional'. Service was really great. there was a 'fun' floor show as some of the kitchen staff paraded around the restaurant stretching and pulling noodles - reminding me of pizza dough. The restaurant shares a location with a few upscale establishments like Cupola and Lark Creek Steak, so it's relatively easy to find taking the Bloomingdale's elevator.Special Features:
- The freshest, most delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012The freshest, most delicious, best quality Chinese food by far. I've been here multiple times since they have opened and I have been impressed by everything I've ordered and my guests agree too. The bar has an upbeat vibrant feel and an extensive cocktail and wine menu. I definately found a cocktail I'd order again... (East meets West) The staff is knowledgable about the menu, ask for their recommendation if you're uncertain about what to try. The decor and ambiance of MY China is absolutely gorgeous. I love the bell in the bar area, and all the details throughout the restaurant. If the timing is right you'll see a hand pulled noodle show, it's an awesome sight. This restaurant is a must try... And I'd recommend to everyone I know.Special Features:
- Up-scale and Trendy Chinese Food!RaiderBossVIPDined on 12/24/2012Great Chinese food.....up-scale, trendy and very modern,Special Features:
- Disappointing food. I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/24/2012Disappointing food. I expected much, much better from Mr. Yan.
- The food is good and pricedLove2DineVIPDined on 12/24/2012The food is good and priced as expected for a fancy mall restaurant. The service, from the hostess to bar staff to table wait staff, is obviously rookie. I've been twice now and each time they fumble over standard reservation/seating questions and the food ordering process. The staff is very nice but you can tell they are fairly inexperienced, which makes the service slow and inefficient.
- The "Coming Soon" sign finallyPatricDined on 12/24/2012The "Coming Soon" sign finally came down and Martin Yan's China opened @ Westfield Mall. It did NOT disappoint. It is a Chinese restaurant for everyone's taste. Chef Yan hit the mark on every detail- food, bar, kitchen, design, storage, a mix of hip and traditional decor. The restaurant has only been open for 3 wks and I've already dined there 3 times. And this is a dining experience. The food is amazing~ from the freshest calamari to the hand-pulled noodles to the delicious egg puffs. Bring an appetite because it is an event. One more reason to go the Mall just to eat! I wish M.Y. China the best of success and I will be a regular patron. Happy New Year!Special Features:
- Actually a good solid experience,KismetVIPDined on 12/23/2012Actually a good solid experience, food and service. White wines by the glass where excellent, reds leave bit to be desired. Knife cut noodles Beijing were especially good.Special Features:
- Dumplings are great -- everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/23/2012Dumplings are great -- everything else kind of so-so. Some of the dishes were completely tasteless -- the ma po to fu and the mushrooms come to mind. The noodles were decent, but personally, I would stop by for a few dumplings if I were in the mall and needed a bite and pass on the rest.Special Features:
- The food was excellent! TheDennisDined on 12/23/2012The food was excellent! The East meets West cocktails were quite good!Special Features:
- Food is too salty, Juicy dumpingGuessVIPDined on 12/23/2012Food is too salty, Juicy dumping should be easy remove from spoon without broken the skin. Noodle option are limited and not able to substitute which cause customers not able to order if can not eat the stuff (beef/seafood) come with it. High-end charge without the services (we make reservation for a table but hostess want to seat us at the counter and the waiter mix up our order with the next table) to come with it.