1538 Kapiolani Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mwrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8089556505x
- Hours of Operation:
--- Lunch ---
Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun: 10:30am - 4:00pm
--- Dinner ---
Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sun: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Wade Ueoka
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from MW Restaurant
Casual dining with a Hawaii Regional Cuisine flair accompanied by exquisite desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
MW Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
MW Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)special occasion (102)great for lunch (71)neighborhood gem (60)hot spot (56)good for groups (49)notable wine list (29)romantic (17)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- I want to like this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/1/2014We ate here for lunch. This is the third time I have eaten here since they opened and the results were the same each time. The service was slow and un-attentive. I asked the waiter for the specials and he pointed to the menu and proceeded to read from it. I asked him about an item on the menu and the waiter wasn't able to describe it other than read the menu description. In a 2/3 empty restaurant we waited 30 minutes for our food. Lunch took over 90 minutes. When the waiter finally came over to the table (with dessert menus) I finally had the opportunity to ask for the check. The food here is good albeit overpriced compared to Roy or Wongs. I wish they would solve the service issues. Alos, the acoustics of the restaurant make it too loud.
- All around great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014The food was excellent and the service was amazing. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014Food was great, but it took too long to get meals served.
- Excellent Food & Excellent Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated our anniversary this past Saturday and it was a excellent experience! We have gone before for lunch and the dinner experience was even better. Our server knew all the items and explained everything in detail. She had the tasting menu and I had the steak, both delicious! The desserts were the star of the show and we would come back just for the desserts! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Our server was excellent. He was professional, courteous, attentive and pleasant. Our food arrived in a timely manner and was very tasty and enjoyable. Everything seemed to be fresh, from our salad to our fish dish. The cookies to go was a nice touch. We had a nice experience and would go back again.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationshadowDined on 8/22/2014Celebrating friends birthday, fried calamari appetizer is always crisp and good. Had the steamed onaga which was delicious and my friend had the mochi crusted moonchong also excellent. Others seem to enjoy what they ordered. All the special attention given to the birthday gal makes it a really special occasion. Service was great!!!Special Features:
- Expected more from local hotspotReginelliDined on 8/20/2014I'm a local haole who lives in NYC, so I'll caveat with that. Tile floor? It looked like a diner vs a casual hip eaterey. The front had stacks of menus and a trash can clearly visible, adding to the lowbrow vibe. The service was ok but some of the staff kept looking at their watches. We had a 815pm reservation - doesn't seem late to me? The highlight of the meal was surprisingly the local beet salad. Apps were ok. My cocktail was pretty good. We had the oxtail and the tonkatsu for our entrees and the katsu crust separated from the pork and the oxtail dish was totally bland - very underseasoned. Overall, I can't believe the prices they are charging for the subpar meal, service and ambience. Go get (several) plate lunches instead.
- Expensive, boring place.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Service is bad and food mediocre for such a pricey place. We watched the asst. mgr, bartender, and two wait staff (including our own waitress) look at the tab next to our drinks that were sitting on the bar waiting to be delivered to us for about 15 minutes. We were tempted to walk up there and fetch them ourselves. The room is like an unadorned cafeteria with bright, strobe like hanging lights glaring from above.
- jmkfDined on 8/18/2014Great dining experience - yet again! Be sure to try the Ahi Poke. Chef Wade cooks fish and pork brilliantly. We will try the beef next time. Heard the steak was some of the best in town. Looking forward to their new space - for larger groups in private dining, next door!Special Features:
- What a wonderful restaurantSftouristDined on 8/16/2014Incredible! Innovative cuisine and perfect customer service were the hallmarks of my dinner. I never had to ask for anything because the server was spot on. The food came to the table in a timely and reasonable manner. Portions were appropriate and I left satisfied. I would highly recommend this restaurant. Only one thing - the restaurant from Kapiolani looks like it is part of the pho restaurant. There is a discreet sign on the window that can be missed. The only negative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!HIfoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014MW offers wonderful delightful menu from appetizers to salads to entrée. This is a restaurant that requires multiple visits to work your way through the menu just to come up with your favorites. Entrees enjoyed by our group of 7 were all devoured greedily by happy diners; Adobo Braised Duroc Pork Shank, Oxtail Stew and Rice, Mochi Crusted Opakapaka, Garlic Steamed Onaga Red Snapper & Miso-Honey Glazed Butterfish. Don't wait - start your own tasting experiences and make reservations for a delightful culinary experience!!Special Features:
- Fine diningTheLadyoftheHiddenTowerDined on 8/15/2014I was recommended by a student to this restaurant and enjoyed the experience. I wasn't sure if I could self park or if the parking lot was valet only but at $4, I will probably self park in the future even if I need to walk from a block away. After being seated, we had to wait for sometime for service. We were eventually helped by a waiter who informed us that he would be our server until our server arrived. However, since the wait staff work together as a team, we never really knew who our server really was. There were 5 different people who came to our table to either refill water, bus, or serve dishes. Yet we constantly had to wait to order. I don't think they were prepared for the quick eaters that we are. We enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to celebrate...nickyDined on 8/15/2014Took an employee for lunch on her last day. The food was fantastic. Each dish was beautifully presented and the combination of flavors were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014MW Restaurant is perfect for foodies. They have a unique twist to traditional dishes and a fantastic wine list. Perfect for a date night - noise level isn't deafening with loud music and the great service makes for a very enjoyable night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sharingKetomamaVIPDined on 8/12/2014My classmates and I, all if 3 of us went . We shred the appetizer, we ordered three different entree and got to taste all 3 dishes! I enjoyed sampling all 3 dishes.Special Features:
- A Mean Lunchfonzie56Dined on 8/12/2014We really enjoyed the ambiance and the service was excellent. Both my wife and I agreed that the fried dishes, calamari and the ahi one tons needed were over done and hard. The CAESAR SALAD was to die for!! Everything was balanced, from the dressing, to the tomatoes, to the greens. The flavors ignited in your mouth! We enjoyed the loco moco and also the burger! Try it out. You won't regret it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Desserts are the BESTRAgrindsVIPDined on 8/11/2014The calamari appetizer is great for sharing! MW also threw in some fried okra which I think is a great addition to the appetizer. The entrées were good. The desserts were amazing! Totally recommend the Mango Shave Ice! Find food pics on my instagram: @ragrindsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we'd heard it would be!OnoliciousDined on 8/9/2014MW met all our expectations when we tried it for the first time Saturday night. The place was packed and we had to wait 30 minutes past our reservation time to be seated, but it was well worth the wait! Casual ambience with open kitchen. The service was impeccable! Even though we didn't complain about the wait, we received a complimentary appetizer and a bag of cookies with sincere apologies from the wait staff. Everything we ordered was delicious! Ahi nachos and ahi mandoo appetizers were tops! Highly recommend the mochi crusted opakapaka and the grilled kalbi shortribs. The mango shave ice and tropical fruit brulee desserts were light and full of local flavors. Great place to take out of town guests. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- A new standard of excelencevolcanomanVIPDined on 8/8/2014This place continues to exceed my expectations. The food and the service is so far ahead of any other restaurant on Oahu. If you are a competing restaurant you should be afraid....very afraid. I selected the steak and potatoes. The steak was grilled to perfection and the potatoes were incredible. I did not think such a simple thing like a potato could be that good... "shock and awe" should be the name of this restaurant! The beer selection is fantastic and I loved the Tahitian lemonade! Make sure to save room for desert too. I was watching Michelle put it all together; sometimes she uses tweezers to make the presentation of all the flower petals perfect. This restaurant is pure heaven, I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceLuluDined on 8/7/2014Food Service slow. Nice touch with the cookies to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as always!nihonshudakeDined on 8/6/2014This place never fails to deliver. Everything sounds so good I always have a difficult time choosing what to eat and inevitably order too much. Have been here for both lunch and dinner and they excel at both. Such great flavors. Remember to save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suggestionssuggestionsDined on 8/3/2014This place did not have any music ... ? It was very awkward with only hearing dishes and other people's conversations . The wait staff was just OK. No smile, no personalities. The manager was excellent, he made us feel welcomed. It really felt like the servers and wait staff just weren't happy to be there . Food was bland to us. Maybe we just had high expectations. ...... ? For the cost of the food , it was not worth it . We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- Comfortable & YummyTwinkleVIPDined on 8/2/2014MW menu is a respectable alternative to Alan Wong's -- quite creative and decicious. The restaurant ambience is much more casual and most of the tables are very close to each other so if you are after privacy, mention it when making reservations. The wait staff and manager are very friendly and attentive. Overall -- a very good experience!Special Features:
- birthday lunchluaufeet77Dined on 8/1/2014Our group went to lunch to celebrating two birthdays. As always the food was excellent, specials were great and cocktails were refreshing and tasty! Also, they made both birthday girls feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale mom & popOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014I love the husband and wife in an upscale mom & pop restaurant for sure! I am all about the food though and I think you will get good quality food but the prices were steep for lunch, for two plus tip and valet dropped $130 for lunch. Server was really nice, but never really "checked in" so the meyer lemonade should be called lemon water, no sugar, more like when you squeeze 2 wedges into your tap water, although it was $6.00. We received on slice of griddled house bread and would've liked another slice but was never offerred one (I guess I'm used to Alan Wong's King St level of touch points?) salads were okay and entree's were well prepared. Overall the food wasn't worth the price, though it's worth a try!Special Features:
- Birthday41SMfrom95014Dined on 7/28/2014The nachos and poke was delicious. The Mochi-encrusted Opakapaka over somen was unique and perfectly cooked with a delicate crust. The deconstructed strawberry cheesecake topped off a first-rate dining experience. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neighborhood GemGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 7/28/2014Husband and wife chef focus on Korean-Hawaiian twist on Asian fusion. Loved the mochi crusted opakapaka!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Enjoyable meal. I would return to try other dishes. A bit too noisy as it gets busier. Main entree on the smaller side. Appetizers fair portion. However I was full having appetizers before main entree. Service was great. Would like to view desserts before making a choice. Perhaps on a display tray. Cookie at the end was a nice gesture.Special Features:
- Great Birthday CelebrationVBMOM808Dined on 7/27/2014My son tried the arancino appetizer. We had the rib eye, opakapaka, onaga and ahi--all were delicious. The desserts were decadent. Prices have increased a bit but overall, a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Five Star DinnerhochawaiiDined on 7/27/2014Our entire experience was superb. We started our 40th anniversary dinner with a refreshing lime/mint drink suggested by our excellent server, Joel, who warmly welcomed us with personalized menus. Everything, including the aioli dip with the focaccia bread, appetizers Alaskan king crab cake and soy braised pork belly with bao buns, entrees mochi crusted opakapaka on somen noodles with yuzu sauce and New Zealand grilled salmon on soba noodles, was so delicious. Lilikoi lovers, we selected the Floating Island and lilikoi brulee for dessert, which had the most potent lilikoi sorbet in the midst of tapioca pearls and lilikoi mousse. Fabulous! We were sent off with two bags of chocolate chip cookies and an anniversary gift of banana bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemSteveVIPDined on 7/25/2014We enjoyed our dinner very much. Duck salad was a winner. High quality food in a nice open setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Dining ExperienceSmokeyVIPDined on 7/24/2014I went here for dinner. We tried the set sampler. Pretty pricy but very good. I also tried a number of unusual beers which were interesting. The opakapaka was very good. The appetizers were excellent. The atmosphere is very casual. People wore shorts and slippers in there. I gave low marks for Ambiance because of that. But I definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the HypeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/24/2014I was visiting family and friends and heard about the new restaurant and everyone raved about the food. I was fortunate to have a meal at MW and I was not disappointed. The food was fresh and the flavors clean and pure. The portions were also hearty and they allowed us to split every item we ordered so that we had enough room for dessert. The butterfish/unagi arancini is the best! I want to return to try the many other selections on the menu.Special Features:
- UnpalatableWijnbrugstraatDined on 7/19/2014He does not know how to cook tasty. I belive that he is not a person of talent.
- Great place for special occasion!SandyDined on 7/17/2014Wanted to try a new place for our 21st anniversary. Reviews I read were spot on. Great twists on basic selections. Service was exceptional from start to finish. You felt special and everyone was there to make you enjoy yourself. Even my husband who gets Leary to try new places loved his steak and potatoes. Thank you MW restaurant for a memorable dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerCESattendeeDined on 7/12/2014foods was great overall but the risotto with the filet was undercooked as there were crunchy grains throughout. Lemonade was ok and the coffee was watered down. Noise was loud but I where fora romantic dinner anyway. Good place to take friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale comfort foodkpno97VIPDined on 7/12/2014it's like regular comfort food with a fancy twist! The appetizers are big enough to be your main course!Special Features:
- Every dish we had was great!BolognaLoversDined on 7/11/2014There were 3 of us: we ordered 2 appetizers and 3 mains. All meat (one of us allergic to seafood). All good. Had the Fried Chicken and Pork Belly appetizers: both yummy. For mains, we had the Pork Shank, Oxtail Stew and Rice, and a special with Fois Gras and a tender shank on truffle mashed potatoes: the Fois gras was cooked perfectly. We have experience of eating in many big cities, and are very fond of good food -- this place impressed, especially for Honolulu.Special Features:
- Happy marriage of East and WestTakaidoyajiDined on 7/9/2014We chose this restaurant based on the recommendation by famous Japanese blogger as a worthwhile trying new restaurant. Mixture of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and perhaps Vietnamese together with Western style dishes create an unique variety of dishes. Two sides of full wall-length tall glass window make diners feel open atmosphere. We could enjoy a beautiful evening view which made additional flavor to our diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service lackingSandeeliciousVIPDined on 7/3/2014I came for happy hour. Food was great (so was the price) but service was really slow. It took awhile before our server acknowledged we were there. No one checked on us after our food arrived. We saw a few waiters breaking for lunch and a few others roaming around talking story with other diners. I visited again (later that day) for dinner. Food was outstanding. Service still lacking. In fact, service up until food arrived was great. Then the restaurant filled up and no one checked on us. Dessert menu and dessert itself took a really long time (at least 20 min). My guests also agreed service was slow. On a separate note for opentable, I indicated in notes that it was one of my guest'a birthday. The restaurant did not acknowledge this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.