Muzita Abyssinian Bistro
4651 Park Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
Muzita Abyssinian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.muzita.com/
- Phone: 6195467900
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Thursday:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Fusion / Eclectic, Ethiopian
- Executive Chef: MOM
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We bring our home to yours for any off-site catering. We do intimate parties of ten or larger gatherings up to several hundred guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Our intimate craftsman bistro is available for your private parties and gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Lunsford 6196658370
A word from Muzita Abyssinian Bistro
“Most Romantic SD Restaurant 2009 & 2010” Urban Spoon. “Best Vegetarian 2010” 10 News A-List. “Top Ten Restaurant 2009” Citysearch. “10 newcomers worthy of the welcome wagon” SD Tribune. Muzita Bistro is an award winning chic and cozy restaurant featuring exotic flavors and cooking traditions of Eritrea/Ethiopia, combined with our signature Hospitality. Muzita's Head Chef, my MOM, creates the most exciting and inviting dishes using only the freshest and authentic ingredients reminiscent of the old country. Our guests return because Muzita offers an energizing experience for all five senses and our unmatched hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Muzita Abyssinian Bistro - Best Restaurants in University Heights ›
Muzita Abyssinian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)great for outdoor dining (22)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (12)special occasion (6)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- WhatashameDined on 8/23/2014Would have liked to have been steered toward some menu options that were not as spicey. But overall great and lots of funSpecial Features:
- Consistently AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014I've been going to Muzita for years, and each visit gets better. From the appetizers (don't miss the okra!) to the main dishes (I'm a huge fan of their vegetarian dishes, despite being a meat-eater), to the chocolate and tiramisu desserts, wine, and more, this restaurant is an intimate, delicious crowd-pleaser. Perfect for a date night or catching up with friends. Some of the most attentive service I've had anywhere in San Diego, with owner/management stopping by to say hello, etc. A neighborhood gem, one of my absolute favorite restaurants in San Diego.Special Features:
- Loved it! Great food and ambienceRodgerDined on 8/12/2014This place is great. The decor. The food. The ambience. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant, cute settingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/23/2014Charming old house in University Heights. Crusted okra was a delicious appetizer. Very friendly service. We were not wild about the "foul" (bean) entree, but they swapped it out. The other food and beverages were very tasty, and the atmosphere is lovey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- University Heights GemgfxmoDined on 7/17/2014My go to spot when I'm in the San Diego area. This time, I brought a newcomer. It did not disappoint. My friend and I drove down from San Clemente. Traffic was uncharacteristically awful for the afternoon. Although they close for lunch at 2, they stayed open an extra few minutes to accommodate or traffic delayed arrival. The food, service and ambiance are always Top Notch.Special Features:
- Incredibly vegan friendlyDaagoodrDined on 7/7/2014Already has a great vegan / vegetarian menu, but They're also willing to adjust most other items to be vegan friendly as well. Serves most dishes family style, eaten with your hands. The 'plate' is edible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EthiopianFoodieDined on 7/6/2014I have lived in Washington DC, NYC, and West Africa, and Muzita ranks among the top Ethiopian restaurants I have ever been to. In addition to the delicious food, the owner, Abel, is incredibly welcoming and generous. I recommend the Shiro and the beet salad in addition to the classics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!KzanDined on 7/6/2014While the patio areas can be crowded, the food and service are amazing and the dining room has plenty of space. This was our second time here and we brought friends with us this time. They loved the place as well. Food is amazing and the staff very friendly. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyMeTooDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant's menu is filled with ridiculously amazing gems and never has a selection disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From njdocsVIPDined on 6/23/2014This place is a must if your in San Diego area, the owner is hands-on and the greatest of hosts! the food is home made by his Mom, fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatjlanceVIPDined on 6/22/2014Each time I go I am marveled that the quality of the food and service is always five star. It remains my favorite spot to dine and bring friend.Special Features:
- Good surprise!jerryDined on 6/21/2014Delightful little restaurant in a house, excellent friendly wait staff and owners on site, fun food and very good quality. Will bring friends here.Special Features:
- A giftjlanceVIPDined on 5/31/2014What a treasure Muzita's is. The food is a delight and the service is outstanding. It's a gift to us to experience the fine food, excellent ambience and incredible friendly staff. It's my favourite place to bring friend and family.Special Features:
- A great meal waiting for youHappytoeatDined on 5/17/2014Since Ethiopian is not a common cuisse for us we let the server select for us. She quizzed us on our likes dislikes and spiciness tolerance and then brought us a perfect meal. Pricing is very reasonable for such a popular place.Special Features:
- Muzita 5/8/2014DelMartianVIPDined on 5/8/2014Excellent Eritrean and Ethiopian food. Very nice choice of red wines by the glass. Attentive service.Special Features:
- The following 266 reviews are from the Muzita Abyssinian Bistro reviews archive.
- Fun, relaxing and fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The food is wonderful every time we have been to Muzita. It is a unique and fun dining experience and a great place to take visitors from out of town.Special Features:
- Great Ethiopian CuisinejohngaffneyDined on 4/11/2014I've tried Ethiopian at several places in DC, but Muzita in San Diego is really a cut above. They do all the traditional dishes well, but also have some updated touches. The owner's mom supervises all the preparation of her original recipes, and the results are great. Friendly front of the house and the owner always stops by for a chat.Special Features:
- charmingLocalpatronVIPDined on 4/10/2014Lovely little restaurant with very good Ethiopian-style food.Special Features:
- Not your usual menudelmardongiorgioDined on 3/29/2014To be authentic it is suggested that you eat with your fingers, but they have silverware for the more timid among us. The food selections are from Eritria (horn of Africa) and are a fantastic taste experience. This place would be particularly nice for, say, taking friends who are visiting San Diego. Your menu choices are seerve community-style in a huge plate so everyone can try everything. This works great for couples but I'm not sure how this works for larger groups of folks who don't want to see other people's finger around their food. But TRY IT. You'll come away with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMSDLocalDined on 3/28/2014The food was excellent. We are gluten-free vegans and there were plenty of choices. Our server made a mistake, then made it right. It's a very small place. Every table practically touches the one next to it. We were outside and even though it was chilly, the heaters kept us warm. We will eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- welcomingreeseromantimbobjoannDined on 3/23/2014we felt very welcomed and enjoyed the food! server helped us order and we loved everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try something new. ..mg610Dined on 3/14/2014You should do yourself a favor and try this place! Ethiopian cuisine with a very friendly vibe! The wait staff is knowledgeable and helpful in their suggestions! The food is AMAZING! I had vegetarian choices and loved them... and I'm not a vegetarian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like trying out goodjoef858Dined on 3/8/2014If you like trying out good food from other countries, this is an excellent dining experience. The service is slow but the staff is very helpful making the menu selection experience stress free. Highly recommend making reservations cause the wait can be long for spur of the moment dining on a weekend.Special Features:
- Great service, delicious flavorsSDSun6Dined on 3/8/2014for my daughter's 7th birthday, she insisted on finding an Ethiopian restaurant to celebrate. We loved the crispy sambusas, especially the stewed vegetable ones. The Shiro was awesome, it was mild and creamy and just delicious. We were surprised when the waiter brought a lovely birthday surprise, a rich chocolate mousse with cream and a candle. It was sweet and unexpected. A lovely experience all-around.Special Features:
- Great for all foodiesAveryDined on 3/6/2014Great place for carnivores, vegetarians, vegans, and good food hunters. When busy service sort lacks but the fact that they're actually concerned about how well you enjoy your meal makes up for that. When not busy service is great, however. Beer and wine lists are pretty decent. My favorite Ethiopian cuisine in SD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service is alwaysjenniferDined on 3/2/2014Food and service is always top notch. One of my favorite restaurants in SD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Spot in SDMikeyGoodhairDined on 2/16/2014Went here for me and my wife's 2 year anniversary and was awesome. Our server was super busy but made us feel extremely welcome with her great personality and attentiveness, she even gave us a chocolate mousse on the house. We even had a nice chill conversation with the Food Artist. Best dinner I've had since moving to SD!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and small but tastyVegetarianDinerDined on 2/15/2014The food was great, once it arrived. The server was lovely, and it was not her fault, but the food did take nearly an hour to arrive. We were brought a complimentary appetizer after waiting 45 minutes. We were not upset, as the company and conversation was good, but had we anywhere else to be that evening, this would have been an uncomfortable date. It's a very small place and the tables are extremely close together. They clearly need the capacity, but I'd prefer if they had fewer tables so they were not so close to other diners. The servers barely had space to serve either table without coming into contact with those sitting. Perhaps if there were fewer tables the kitchen could keep up. As I diner I'd be much more comfy with elbow room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is small, theSolaDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant is small, the food is delicious, and if you go on a normal night it's not too loud. Good for a date or a special occasion.Special Features:
- uniqueopenminderDined on 2/14/2014If you're looking for something different that's not your overly expensive run-of-the-mill American food restaurant with an ocean view, this is the place. It's a nice quaint place with good Ethiopian food. It won't have a great view but will still have ambiance and won't blow our budget. I'd recommend this place if you're looking for something different.Special Features:
- The epicurious experienceTrentDined on 1/25/2014It is in essence one of the finest restaurants I have dined at in San Diego. The owner Abel holds this restaurant together like a well maintained exotic supercar. Excellent food, beautiful ambience, educational eating experience and a staff that knows the restaurant. I highly recommend to anyone who is willing to step out of their comfort zone and experience what delicious food should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!JodyDined on 1/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Everyone was incredibly friendly and attentive. The food was delicious, fresh and authentic. The owner was especially concerned about one of our group who has some food allergies. He even made some special dishes ( on the house) and sent them them to our table. I can't remember any other place that has made us feel so welcome. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Amazing food.sg212Dined on 1/18/2014We had a chicken, beef, and vegetable dish, and everything was perfect. The service was also wonderful, and I CANNOT WAIT to come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this restaurant forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2014We love this restaurant for its food and friendly environment. We have always had great experience and staff is very friendly normally. However our recent visit was not a great experience. Service was not that great this time and we had to wait long to even ask for injeras. Our waitress seemed not very interested to serve us and we felt we were ignored. Also the 2 people tables are too close to each other which makes it too congested and takes away privacy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing. ServiceFingerlickingDined on 1/8/2014The food was amazing. Service was just right. Great recommendations for first time Ethiopian eater. The ambiance is cozy and lighting is perfect. Nothing bright. Its a converted old house. I would highly recommend this place. Will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food...LukeSD83VIPDined on 12/30/2013Great veg and vegan options, perfect location, prompt service... nothing but good things. I will be back for sure!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodVisitingDined on 12/25/2013I had never had Ethiopian food before and it was such a treat! It was very different, very good- a bit spicy but I like it that way and the service was amazing- REALLY great people who went out of their way to create a warm homy atomosphere, specially on Christmas night. Its a small place with the tables close to each other but they try and do a good job of giving you the options to sit where you feel the most comfortable. REally enjoyed the experience and would highly recommend this to everyone!Special Features:
- Great Ethiopian food, secondOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Great Ethiopian food, second to none in Southern California. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gemjlanceVIPDined on 12/21/2013A wonderful place to spend the evening with good friends andvthatvspecoal someone. A true gem.Special Features:
- very good food and service butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013food and service very good but small and noisy. need more heat for outside seatingSpecial Features: