Mustangs & Burros at Estancia La Jolla
9700 N. Torrey Pines Rd
San Diego, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Mustangs & Burros at Estancia La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://estancialajolla.com/la-jolla-restaurants/san-diego-outdoor-dining/
- Phone: 8589646537x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 2:00pm - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kimberley Kramer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jono Tapp 8589646612x
- Special Events: Herradura Family Tequila Dinner, featuring a San Diego Craft Beer Reception
Thursday, May 22, 2014
Mustangs & Burros
6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Reception & Four-Course Dinner. Tickets start at $90/person, or $250 for two plus a bottle of Estancia La Jolla’s hand-selected Herradura Double Barrel Reposado.
Visit www.estancialajolla.com to purchase tickets.
A word from Mustangs & Burros at Estancia La Jolla
Mustangs & Burros is a classic Territorial Ranch style restaurant with a cozy and intimate dining room, featuring a spacious patio reminiscent of a Spanish hacienda. Both areas feature wonderful and inviting fireplaces. Enjoy delicious small plates inspired by the Southwest and extraordinary house crafted cocktails, including innovative margaritas & our very own M & B Sangria, or join us for dinner and experience Chef Kramers' regional cuisine inspired by the season. The Mustangs & Burros Culinary Team pride themselves on utilizing locally grown and sustainable ingredients in a fresh, unique and imaginative way.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mustangs & Burros at Estancia La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (9)special occasion (7)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent service and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Chicken nachos were excellent, great wine selection, romantic setting - perfect for a summer night.Special Features:
- Beautiful possibilitiesComingupshortDined on 8/19/2014Gorgeous environment, but food disappointing and overpriced. We found the food to be very average; lacking in fine tuning and not attentively prepared. At the end of the evening, we all felt we basically were paying a fair amount of money - mainly for a beautiful spot to eat. If the food came up to the level of the overally environment - wow! It would be a slam dunk!Special Features:
- Bland Food, Poor ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014Bland food (all 5 dishes we tried were lacked flavor), served in uncomfortable seating with low tables so you have to hunch over while eating. Staff, including the general manager, lack knowledge of the wine list. Poor service and overall a poorly run restaurant. Recommend avoiding Mustangs & Burros.
- Always a favoriteMerlyndaDined on 8/8/2014Hubby and I love going to Mustang & Burros for a casual night out. We love the ambience, the drinks, and most of the food. I had the turkey burger for the first time at my last visit, and it was too dry for my taste. However, the short ribs, crab cake, lobster risotto, and salmon are ALWAYS good choices!Special Features:
- By the fireBlackhorseVIPDined on 6/20/2014Great setting on the patio. Tables are very small but workable. Improved menu more seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SDFoodieVIPDined on 6/18/2014Great food and service! They even offer blankets if one gets cold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kisfanVIPDined on 6/16/2014Both restaurants at the Estancia Hotel are very good and relatively undiscovered. Mustangs & Burros tends towards Mexican so it was very disappointing that the margaritas were horrible. They were made with Cointreau instead of Grand Marnier and Triple Sec. The bar didn't even carry Grand Marnier. They were undrinkable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014We were looking for a pre-theatre meal and Mustangs & Burros fit the bill. We were thinking it was probably up-scale Mexican food but it is way more than that: my husband had a perfectly-cooked skirt steak and I had the most scrumptious salmon added to my salad. Our excellent experience started and ended with the smiling (complimentary) valet out front and was very relaxing in the middle.Special Features:
- SharonDined on 5/28/2014Service was SO slow. Upon being seated, we told the staff that we had theatre tickets and need to eat quickly. Upon placing our order we were not served for 40 minutes. The waitress asked if we wanted bread and we said yes. After 30 minutes, she said the bread wasn't ready and brought chips and salsa "complimentary". The manager was very nice and adjusted the bill and also had our cars brought around (you have to valet). I did not like my dish (ahi) however the other 3 people found theirs acceptable.
- I love it!memarie3Dined on 5/16/2014I was very impressed with the property as well as the decor in the restaurant. Our food was amazing, the service was great and we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Mothers Day FailKarookyDined on 5/11/2014On opentable they had said they are open for lunch so I made reservations for Mother's Day since my Mom prefers ordering from a menu vs buffet style. And when we got to Mustangs and Burros there was no host/hostess to greet and seat us so we ended up having to hunt someone down from inside. Inside was completely empty so wasn't due to bring crowded. Finally we sat ourselves and we told that only appetizers and salads were available to order the rest of menu was not being served till after 4 pm. then what was the point of our reservations for lunch? On open table it never said limited items available for lunch. So was a total Mother's Day bust!!! We ended up at Adobe and luckily they were able to seat us on busy Mother's Day!!
- The following 106 reviews are from the Mustangs & Burros at Estancia La Jolla reviews archive.
- Dinner disasterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014I'm so sad to say this worse service ever, something Went wrong in kitchen . The entire dining area Had no food , we waited forever for a few tacos And a salad , and when they arrived if was all Cold :(. I had brought a group if 6 woman and we had 3 rooms for a spa birthday weekend! It was a disappointing Birthday dinner :(Special Features:
- The atmosphere is simple andCritic1Dined on 3/29/2014The atmosphere is simple and relaxed. However, they left the doors open on either side of the dining area, causing a breeze and it was cold. Note I am not a normally "cold" person. I generally like it cool. If I had wanted to be cold I would have sat in the patio area that appeared to have far to few space heaters. The food was extremely good, but the serving portions were small. After our $38.00 filet dinner I asked my husband if he was going to still be hungry. the answer, yes. We would not bother to eat here again.
- Not bad.HarryoDined on 3/22/2014Food was really good but service was very slow. It took an hour to get our appetizer and another hour to get our salad & entree. Ambience was very nice. Hard to say if we will return or recommend to other people.Special Features:
- Outdoor patio was beautifulCindiBDined on 3/13/2014After a long day at work, we relaxed on the outdoor patio and sipped happy hour priced margaritas and pigged out on chicken nachos. Great venue. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice staff, great ambiance and foodStephanieVIPDined on 2/22/2014When I feel like taking a little holiday I drop in to La Estancia for Happy Hour and sit in the beautiful patio by the fireplace. I like it, like to food, always appreciate the excellent staff. But hotel guests, conference and wedding can sort of overpower the place sometimes. Tacos and nachos are very nice.Special Features:
- Valentines DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014On a date with my wife of 31 yrs. While just a slight chill on the patio, it was quiet and very inviting. Had a very nice dinner. The skirt steak was very tasty.. The wine (Migration) was *****. The staff was very helpful and attentive. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food took 45minsam12Dined on 2/14/2014was there from 7:30- 9:50pm … didn't want to valet the car but its free ..don't let that trick you, this means you will wait 15minutes to get it. Manager of the restaurant was very nice, made sure we were taken care of but the FOOD .. the reason you would come to a restaurant took forever we ordered the appetizers it took a really long time .. and I hear the table right next to us complain about how it took to get their food.. so, I blame the kitchen… I literally heard the waitress say 5 times "I will call the kitchen and check on your food" to either us or the next tablesSpecial Features:
- Cozy little outdoor spotcyerclgDined on 2/14/2014Went to Mustangs & Burros at Estancia on Valentines Day as we had tix to La Jolla Playhouse and wanted a place that was close but still romantic. There is indoor dining, which sounded noisy, we went for the outdoor courtyard, which was much quieter and cozy. There is a fireplace and some heaters, but we were seated pretty far away from both of them, so it was a bit chilly. The tables are tiny, like you'd expect just for appetizers and drinks, but that was our dinner table. The tables are also very close together so if you have neighbors, it can detract from the ambience. We shared a crab cake, tasty but a bit dry. My wife had the beef short rib and I had the open faced ravioli, with shrimp, scallops and other fish, both very deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMKatherineVIPDined on 12/20/2013We dined here while staying at the hotel. The restaurant, like the Estancia hotel itself, is amazingly beautiful. The fireplaces indoors and outdoors were warm and inviting and the staff was very friendly and attentive. The patio was beautiful. The food, however, was far less than stellar. My husband's turkey burger was from a frozen patty. It was dry and hard and not worth anything close to the $17 charged for it. The risotto I ordered was like wallpaper paste and I barely ate any of it. The exception was the guacamole, which was some of the best I have ever had. In short, I would recommend stopping by for a drink, chips and guac, but would not have dinner there again.
- Nice but......ChickpeaDined on 12/15/2013Love the cocktails! The soyrizo empenadas were good but not outstanding. My daughter had the mushroom pasta, also gooey but not WOW dish. The chicken breast with pomegranate mole was great, polenta cheesy but thus roasted veggies almost non-existent. The bread pudding was blah. Pricey, ok food, valet parking. Lovely setting but I would probably go just for cocktails. Also they really want you to eat on the patio even if all heaters are not working. Felt like we were causing problem to eat inside on cold night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic diningAngelaADined on 11/29/2013I used to go to this spot years ago when it was just a bar with an acoustic guitar player. I loved it then and I REALLY love it now that I can make dinner reservations and know that I will have a great time in beautiful surroundings. LOVE the EstanciaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious respast and respiteJoMarieDined on 11/15/2013My daughter and I had just finished with a marvelous time at the spa and were so relaxed, so we opted to dine outside, which was much quieter than inside, which had several large parties. The ambience was wonderful: a lovely blazing fire, comfortable seating, and a view of the evening sky and even a star or two. We shared the butternut soup and crabcake starters, which were beautifully presented and delicious. The filet mignon entree was first-rate -- fork tender yet flavorful -- accompanied by complimentary vegetables. The service was attentive. We will certainly dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice stop before a showWorldTravelerDined on 10/30/2013Met friends for happy hour before heading to a show at the La Jolla Playhouse. 4 apps off the HH menu & we all were full. HH hour goes until 6. On a chilly evening, a spot by the indoor or outdoor fireplace is cozy.Special Features:
- We have been many times andCarolDined on 10/25/2013We have been many times and food is consistently good.Special Features:
- A Serene, Romantic RetreatEdwardVIPDined on 10/25/2013Mustangs and Burros was a pleasant surprise. Great atmosphere, excellent service, very inventive takes on some classic dishes (sea bass fish tacos were superb). Ample, very tasty servings at reasonable prices. And did I say romantic? a lovely get away to a tropical paradise in the midst of the city. Everyone from the valet on up had wonderful, welcoming attitudes. We were 'just checking it out' but we fell in love and will definitely return. Our waitress, Vanessa was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous GemLoveFabFoodVIPDined on 10/11/2013We dined at Mustangs and Burros while we were staying at Estancia. The restaurant has a wonderfully authentic southwest feel. The fire pit and outdoor patio are a wonderful place to enjoy a romantic dinner for two or a get together with friends. The food is absolutely delicious! We loved the nachos for an appetizer and the carne asada tacos. Their bread pudding for desert is to die for. Their Estancia branded wines are from the Trinitas winery and both the Chardonnay and Cabernet were excellent. We will most definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrible service!ZenMindedVIPDined on 9/1/2013We walked into this restaurant planning who we would bring there next because it was so cute and lovely, but as the evening wore on and our service was worse and worse, by the end we had decided we would never return! The food was good but the service was so bad that the food couldn't save it!
- Superb Outdoor Dining in a GardenFriendlyVIPDined on 8/25/2013Outstanding food and menu served outdoor in a wonderful garden setting. Superb!Special Features:
- Great place for outdoor dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/24/2013Nice ambience, had a fun time with friends dining outside and sipping margaritas!Special Features:
- Quick Dinner GetawayFoodieDined on 8/11/2013We actually stayed at the hotel for a few days and enjoyed the dinners here. If you're able to sit outside, please do so and enjoy the surroundings. It's quite a relaxing experience to dine with other fine guests and enjoy excellent food. I recommend the mango hop drink. It has a great after taste!Special Features:
- Lovely spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/10/2013We were there on a beautiful Saturday and found it hard to believe there weren't more people there. Food was good. Lunch menu is limited but certainly enough options. Waiter was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Seafood Ravioli Insane!dm8divaDined on 8/8/2013Two of us had the same entree, our waiter's favorite. It was amazing - unique flavors, textures; it all worked! We sat inside due to overcast weather and it was dark and gloomy. Service a bit slow, as kitchen in main hotel building; had to rush dessert to make theater call.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improve serviceUnhappycustomerDined on 8/3/2013The food was good and everything else was nice; however, when you get bad service it makes your experience negative. First, the waiter forgot our salads and our water was never refilled. When we asked for cream for our coffee the waitress forgot it until she was reminded a second time. I do not know if the waiters/waitresses are responsible for wedding parties, but there was only four groups in the restaurant and the service was still way below standard.
- Peacful AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2013The restaurant is set in a very calming enviornment, amongst the beatufil lansscape and architecture of the Estancia resort.Special Features:
- Pappardelle with tarragonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2013Pappardelle with tarragon sauce creamy enough to be inedible! Mediocre sea bass. No followup regarding Quality by server! The worst meal out I can remember. Shiraz was room temperature not cellar. My wife talked to manager next day. Apathetic resoponse.
- Very Good ServicerastaDined on 6/15/2013Service wad good and the staff was vert friendly, however the food was not up to par.Special Features:
- Special occasion by the fireplaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2013Dinner at Mustangs & Burros - had a very nice table right by the fireplace indoors. The setting reminded us of a restaurant we used to go to in the North Valley near Albuquerque/Corrales, NM, which was in a 100-year old adobe ranch house, where we got to sit by the fire. It was a quiet night at Mustangs & Burros, our servers were excellent with timing and suggestions. The food was really nice and they didn't mind when we chose to "split" dinner. (We left an appropriate tip.) The standout was a cocktail made with mango + jalapeno + lemon juice and spiked with vodka and beer. It was delicious, tangy, spicy and fun! After dinner, lingered on the quiet patio near the fire. Overall a very nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/28/2013We have visited La Jolla for many years, and we come from a "foodie" town. This is the first time we have dined at Mustangs & Burros and definitely will be returning. The food was delicious. I normally do not like carne asada tacos, but they ones served here are outstanding. Really loved everything about this restaurant. Terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatioOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2013Cozy patio with large fireplace Good happy hour appetizers EnjoyedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.