Mussel Bar & Grille - Bethesda
7262 Woodmont Ave
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Mussel Bar & Grille - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.musselbar.com/
- Phone: (301) 215-7817
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am – 11:30pm, Friday: 11:30am – 1:00am, Saturday: 10:00am – 1:00am, Sunday: 10:00am – 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Executive Chef: Robert Wiedmaier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: We periodically have bands, please check our facebook page or on twitter
- Cross Street: Elm Street
- Public Transit: Bethesda Metro, short 3 block walk
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The closest public parking is the covered garage right behind Mussel Bar (accessible from either Elm St. or Bethesda Ave.) Parking meters in front of the restaurant are for only one hour. Bethesda Row is offering valet parking nightly from 5-11pm across the street in front of Secolari (7251 Woodmont Avenue).
A word from Mussel Bar & Grille - Bethesda
We serve mussels & frites, wood-fired tarts (Belgian pizzas) with seasonal toppings, grilled meats and fish, salads, soups, sandwiches. As your server about our daily specials, we mix it up! We also have the largest selection of craft and Belgian beers in Bethesda! Happy hour daily with great specials and $1 oysters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Mussel Bar & Grille - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Mussel Bar & Grille - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (42)great for outdoor dining (40)vibrant bar scene (32)good for groups (28)hot spot (22)notable wine list (16)great for lunch (13)special occasion (12)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (8)romantic (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Anemic mussels and over-salted shrimpTaglawdcDined on 11/18/2014One would expect that a restaurant named Mussel would have good mussels. Not here. Mussels were tiny, so that a pound of mussels was barely an appetizer. Grilled shrimp for Caesar salad were so salty, they easily out-salted the anchiovies on the salad. Way overpriced for food of that quality.
- DeliciousBrianJVIPDined on 11/15/2014Everything we have here is delicious First time I ever ordered mussels as my dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Count on itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014Extensive beer list, delicious mussels, and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No real complaints!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/15/2014We had been told that Mussel Bar has gone through a slump period-- bad reviews, new management etc. After not visiting for some time, we returned. The food was good, service was on point. My one note is that someone (hosts/managers) came by our table to see how we were much too frequently-- approximately 6 times throughout our meal. Our server was doing a fine job with checking in with us so the frequent host/manager visit was unnecessary. We appreciated the kind gesture, however.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very fair fare experiencePaulVIPDined on 11/15/2014The restaurant owner is charging prices not dissimilar from those at his Brasserie Beck venue yet the quality is nowhere near the same. Please meet the standards set by your prices, not just charge Bethesda prices because you are located in Bethesda! That will not get you return customers, at least food-savvy ones. While the salads were excellent and big enough to offer decent value at $12, the bouillabaisse was fair at best. Many of the mussels included very unpleasant crunchy sand, something I never have experienced in many trips to Brasserie Beck. Moreover, the texture of the shrimp and swordfish was chewy, not tender -- odd for being in a stew. The shrimp and swordfish also lacked flavor. A very disappointing anniversary outing. Luckily, our marriage is a very happy one so we do not depend on food quality to make our anniversary enjoyable. :-)
- Construction During LunchKarenVIPDined on 11/11/2014The construction noise during lunch was terrible. Then to compensate for the noise by the construction crew, the music was turned up very loud - the whole experience was not enjoyable. We could not hear ourselves talk. I believe that during the lunch hour (12 - 2), renovation should be suspended. I also believe an apology by the manager should have taken place.
- LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014I went on a Saturday night. The place was packed and extremely loud. My date and I had to shout at each from across a table to be heard. Our waiter was outstanding. I wish that I could say the same for the food. The steak was under cooked. The frites were good. For the price, the food should have been much better.
- mussels were excellent value.RockDined on 11/8/2014Other food over priced and small portions. Appears that this restaurant is over focused on food cost control.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent.jazzlover1949VIPDined on 11/7/2014The food was incredible. The service excellent. Ashton is a great server. She is knowledgable, hasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place---good not greatBrentVIPDined on 11/6/2014Second time here. Met a friend for dinner to catch up. Service was friendly and attentive. Quality of the food was good but not great. Onion soup was drowning in fried onions and very salty and the mussels were overcooked and not very flavorful. I did not enjoy it as much as I did my first time there about 6 months ago. On the fence about going back again, there are a lot of choices in this neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysMusselFanDined on 11/2/2014We have eaten here probably 10 times since moving to the area 5 months ago. Another great meal. They have a good beer selection, both bottle and draft. The food is excellent, whether brunch, lunch, dinner or late-night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Everything about the restaurant was great except for the food. We were so disappointed that the salads were over dressed and greasy and the calamari appetizer was very over seasoned. Our flatbread pizza was the best thing we ate, but was also quite greasy. They really need to increase the quality of items coming from the kitchen because this was a huge turn off. I won't be heading back there anytime soon.Special Features:
- Good, but loudKellyDined on 10/24/2014Great food, quite loud though. I'd go back but on a weekday when it's less crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very late dinner, they werelilPrawnVIPDined on 10/21/2014very accommodating. The food was still outstanding even though it was the end of the night. We ordered a little bit of everything- mac and cheese was amazing. Our server was perfectly friendly and attentive. She even ran out the door to give me the to-go box I left on the table. We just had a great experience, overall. We'll be back!Special Features:
- MehthirstymelissaDined on 10/8/2014It's fine, but nothing I'd rush back to. Expensive for the amount and lack of specialness that you get.Special Features:
- Not the best visitsamyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We usually like the food at the mussel bar. This visit was an exception. The roasted beet salad was excellent. But while half way eating the fairly generous portions our entrees arrived. Obviously there was no room on the table, so they had to go back. When they came back the very large skillets had to be squeezed on the table with the beer and bread that one of the beer glasses spilt over my guest (the manager made a price adjustment). The big disappointment was the mussels. Mine was white wine and cream. There was so mush wine that the entire crustacean flavor was lost. The french fries (which now cost an extra $) were limp (probably waiting to be redelivered). That said, I’d go again looking for my previous memories of great mussels.Special Features:
- excellent qualityfoodieVIPDined on 9/23/2014I have now eaten here twice, in the span of 10 days - the first time was out of curiosity, the second because I loved the food the first time around. I was not disappointed. Both times I had mussels. The Thai influenced mussels came in a pleasing coconut based broth, with spicy notes; the only peeve I had was that the accompanying peanuts were a bit overwhelming. The Provençale version came with a tomato and cream-based broth, and the house-made bread was just perfect for mopping it up. I also had a delicious beet salad - very generous portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Value Good FoodLampedusa7990VIPDined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed pleasant, friendly service and good food. We ordered dinner entrees with red wine instead of mussels and beer. Both entrees, grilled salmon and steak frites, were well prepared, flavorful, and reasonably priced. Their focus is beer but their wine list is not run of the mill. Two tasty entrees with good portions and a decent bottle of wine for around $100. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussel Bar Bethesdanomnom12Dined on 9/19/2014Food was spot on. I got the rainbow trout and it was delicious. Our server was great and had a great attitude. If you want to have a conversation and not yell beware, it's loud.Special Features:
- great mussels; Many cool beers.DavidDined on 9/14/2014stopped by with a friend from out of town. Had a nice dinner sitting outside watching the world go on by, drinking some unusual beer and eating tasty mussels. Not sure if having the front row seats to observe the pathetic attempts at parallel parking in front of the restaurant are a plus or minus - surely it was entertaining...Special Features:
- Oysters and mussels!CareyDined on 9/14/2014Great place for oyster, mussels, and drinks. Good beer selection. Salads, pizzas, and other dishes are good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite dishes evermaxinetteVIPDined on 9/10/2014The Kennett Square mushrooms mussel dish is seriously one of my favorite dishes of all time. Just amazing flavors, ingredients and deliciousness. Sitting outside was lovely.Special Features:
- ImpressionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Mussel dishes absolutely outstanding. Noise level outside fine. Inside (where we did not sit) it would have been way too loud.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/31/2014The food is overpriced and mediocre. And in family friendly Bethesda, they don't have a changing table in the restroom! I asked the manager and they have no plans to put one in. I'll take my business elsewhere; they obviously don't need families with young children dining there.
- Now with full Bethesda pricingsambVIPDined on 8/30/2014Mussels has been a favorite since it opened, but I feel like every time we go the prices have inched up further. Now, for a couple to to share an appetiser, each get a main course, and each have a beer, expect to pay more than $100. Most Belgian beers are now at least $11 for a bottle. The mussels no longer come with fries (which, by the way, used to be good, but now they are hand cut and oily, not like Belgian fries), you have to pay extra. You get the idea. My wife's mussels with curry were good. My whole roasted bass was tasty but not overly memorable (except spitting bones, but that's always a risk with the whole fish). Their bread is always good. Entrees in the low $20's and reasonably priced Belgian beer would be welcomed.
- good musculesconnoisseur24Dined on 8/30/2014Really good food, not so great service. Would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extensive beer selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2014Great variety of beers on tap and knowledgeable and friendly waitstaff.
- Great Dining Spot for MusselsBernyDined on 8/24/2014Had a Great Meal, at Outside Table. Tried a Recent change in their Mussels Menu Options, that was tasty and made for an Enjoyable Meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently awesomesussVIPDined on 8/24/2014Never disappoints...love the choices of mussels. Wish they offered more seafood in the menu.Special Features:
- Great FoodBrianJVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were really impressed with the food here. We had mac and cheese app, mussels, spicy lamb pizza, and braised short rib. Everything was delicious. Very extensive Beer list on draft. Will be BackSpecial Features:
- Fantastic beer selectionKyleVIPDined on 8/22/2014Jay, the manager, was great. He spent a lot of time with us, helping us make selections from the beer menu that were in line with our preferences and still adventurous.Special Features:
- Just OKAverageVIPDined on 8/21/2014The bar service on our recent visit was very poor-slow and perfunctorySpecial Features:
- Absolutely First ClassFredBVIPDined on 8/20/2014This is no stuffy Ruth Chris. A nice diversified menu that temps your pallet to reach for flavor and aroma. This is real dining. Take you time and bring on small courses one or two at a time. Share and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dolor23Dined on 8/19/2014I really like this restaurant. They have great service and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014Sat outside which is lovely. Inside, even before the live music, is about the noisiest restaurant I've ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beers - leave the kids homeBethesdaMomDined on 8/16/2014Our family of 5 had a pleasant outdoor dinner here last weekend. My husband LOVED the beer selection - one of the best in town. The food though was a little disappointing. Mussels were good but not great (and seemed a bit pricey at $24, even for the most basic preparation). Calamari appetizer was overpowered by rather strange sauces. Pizza was OK but on the plain side. Overall, could have been quite a bit better. The service though was outstanding, with our waitstaff very attentive to my boys' needs.
- More attention to detail neededFLewesDined on 8/15/2014While the food has been consistently good, the service is consistently sub-par. Two examples: (1) I was given a short pour on an expensive draught beer (1/2 of the glass was head). When I ordered my second round and pointed out the issue, I was told "the beer is Belgian, and that is how it is supposed to be poured." I requested my second round contain more beer and was given a better pour, but in a smaller glass; (2) made a reservation for a party of 6. The weather was perfect and there were several tables available outside, so we requested to be seated outside. Was told they had one table that could fit 6, but it was taken. There were open tables that sat 4 and several that sat 2. No offer to put those together to accommodate us.
- Will definitely be going back!nkstakeVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a delicious meal and wonderful service-- i'm sad we waited so long to check out this spot in our neighborhood! I think the name has always concerned us that they did not have a large menu outside of mussels but we were definitely wrong! they have a large beer selection and fair-sized menu of entrees in addition to their mussel offerings. i was seated before my partner arrived, which i really appreciated and my server suggested parking even! i got a a flight of draft beers selected by my server, with a bonus tasting to check my satisfaction for a suggestion. awesome! the mushroom-sauce mussels were AMAZING, as were our entrees. i ordered the special, the lobster-stuffed trout and it was fantastic. AMAZING VISIT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't have the seared skateGoodwithmusselsDined on 8/5/2014My friend raved about her mussels, but my seared skate was super oily, mushy and very poorly executed. Our waiter was very nice and apologetic, but that didn't make up for the fish that I couldn't finish. How do you ruin a simple dish like this? I am not going back to this restaurant again. Can't be eating just mussels every time.
- Good dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Everything tasted great and the service was phenomenal - but I only had the mussels and an appetizer so I cannot call it "very good" or "great" with such a small sample. Next time I'll order more and upgrade the rating I'm sure!Special Features:
- The following 165 reviews are from the Mussel Bar & Grille - Bethesda reviews archive.