Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
800 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22203Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.musselbar.com/
- Phone: 7038412337x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch - Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm
Brunch - Saturday - Sunday 10:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner - Monday - Sunday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar - Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:00am ( food service till 12:00am)
The Happiest Hour - Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Belgian, American
- Executive Chef: Erik Foxx-Nettnin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: NEW! Now Mussel Bar & Grille Arlington is offering gift cards which can be redeemed at any of RW Restaurant Group location. If you have any questions please contact us at 703 841 beer.
- Special Events: MUSSEL BAR AND GRILL offers dining capacity for up to 30 guests. Whether it is dining with a group of friends or celebrating an occasion, our menu is prepared and served as sharing style for your party to enjoy. Large parties are welcome for, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner and Happy Hour. Advanced reservations are required. For more information, please contact, Hanna Namysl at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 703 841 BEER.
A word from Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
Chef Robert Wiedmaier's third Mussel Bar & Grille location, and first in Virginia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (72)great for outdoor dining (58)vibrant bar scene (53)good for groups (50)hot spot (38)great for lunch (29)special occasion (24)great for brunch (23)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (13)romantic (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- love their sweet potato fries!laddcVIPDined on 9/16/2014love their sweet potato fries! along with many other thingsSpecial Features:
- Excellent MealKmerchDined on 9/14/2014The lobster mac & cheese is incredible! I'm a big eater and I had to bring some home... Our party of five enjoyed everything about the meal.Special Features:
- Get the pork bellyLemonyPersnicketVIPDined on 9/13/2014Skip the grits. I was hopeful that they might do grits right here but once again the northern restaurant failed me. The French onion soup was a little greasy and piled too high w onion straws. However pork belly was great. dean burger please my boyfriend and he shared his yummy fries. The server was most gracious about taking the grits off our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGalahDined on 9/12/2014Great cocktails, mussels were great, calamari appetizer was awesome but was VERY noisySpecial Features:
- Good food, terrible service & slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great food, terrible service and a very slow kitchen. Good beer list but it was outdated and so the menu was useless. Short ribs and mussels outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but those were not fritesArliVIPDined on 9/12/2014Tried this place recently for the first time and was sorry I hadn't tried it sooner. The food was great, and the mussels, the house specialty were pricey, but very good. My one observation would be that the "frites" are no such thing, and are instead matchstick fries, served with some tasty dipping sauces.Special Features:
- CuttingboardDined on 9/10/2014My wife and I visit Mussel Bar a couple times a week and the food, wine, beer and service is outstanding. The only complaint that I have about the restaurant is that the portions have gotten very small in the past couple of visits, especially fish. My wife ordered the salmon the other day and she received a piece of fish that very small (2"x 3"). The peppers wrapped in prosciutto is a great appetizer.Special Features:
- An ImprovementSandLVIPDined on 9/8/2014Fourth time there. Food always good. Last time service was deplorable, we complained later, impressed we received profound apologies from management later. This time all good. Place is noisy given poor acoustics, but love the open air and bar area. We'll return.Special Features:
- Great new addition to BallstonYoungretireeDined on 9/7/2014Group of three family members had a great early dinner. Service was excellent; as was the food, particularly the beet salad and the scallops appetizer. Quality of the wine list and food presentation was higher than other popular spots in Arlington. Very commendable experience.Special Features:
- Some kinks to work outHappyJaxDined on 9/6/2014Way too loud. Went with a group of three people and one person couldn't hear the conversation between the kitchen noise, other diners, and the music. The music was way too loud and the music selection was 80's hard rock (I don't mind rock, but they need to work on their acoustics first). Service was a little slow and the mussels, while good, seemed over-priced. Oh, and the women's bathroom doors are so unusually heavy that it was a challenge trying to open the door to exit (a first for me, never been stuck in a bathroom before). The layout is small and the floor was slightly damp, so i keep slipping into the door, I finally had to put my leg up on the sink in order to wedge the door open.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Great food and creative drinks but the server rushed us through dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serious Service IssuesLauraVIPDined on 8/20/2014Decided to try this restaurant for the first time with a friend on a Wed night. We both were craving mussels, so it seemed like a great choice. We were sat at a table in the middle of a heavily trafficked loud portion of the restaurant... dissapointing considering we watched two parties before us without reservations get seated at the last 2 booths. We both ordered mussels (thai curry and white wine and garlic). We were both VERY pleased with the mussles. However, we never once had a waitress stop by our table and were eventually waited on the entire evening by the manager, who obviously was distracted by numerous other things. Bill time was uncomfortable for us, as we were torn with leaving a tip for a waitress we literally NEVER saw.
- Tasty brunch selectionbrunchdudeDined on 8/17/2014Had the chicken and waffles for brunch and they were excellent. Plenty of space so there was no wait for a seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mussel bar for dinnerMrCoffee832Dined on 8/13/2014I was disappointed with the menu and the service. There were only 5 or 6 mussel entrees, and the menu did not offer any pizzas with mussels. The waiter told me it was not possible to add mussels to the pizzas. How could Mussel Bar not offer with mussel toppings for pizza?? The server was not attentive and did not bring us our bread in the beginning. The mussels were small, and several did not open up ( they were dead prior to being cooked). My bf got the white wine mussels, and I got the provencal mussels. The flavor of the white wine was excellent, and the sauce was great. The provencal sauce was good as well. The ambiance was very noisy, I felt like I had to yell to be heard across the table.Special Features:
- Five Mussel Dishes, Frites ExtraQBickleVIPDined on 8/12/2014To our surprise the restaurant called Mussel Bar only has 5 mussel dishes ($24 each) and frites (shoe string style) are a dollar extra. The portion itself was rather small and our White Wine mussels, while not associated with an abundance of complex flavors, were bland. We did, however, enjoy the subtle flavor Blue Crab Soup, the lightness of Lamb Meatball and the char of the Salmon. Overall, there are an abundance of restaurants offering better mussel dishes and selection (a couple even in the same restaurant group) at better prices. We would not return to this location for mussels. Without factoring in the mussels, the restaurant makes for a good spot to occasionally stop in for Happy Hour at but generally not worth a detour for.
- Always Reliable and Very GoodPabloVIPDined on 8/12/2014I will continue to patronage Mussel Bar. Great happy hour specials. Great food. Great Service.Special Features:
- Pricey but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2014This is a great place for a beer and some some bistro fare, however it is quite expensive for the make up of the menuSpecial Features:
- Great for special occasionshollyDined on 8/8/2014I made a reservation for my parents' 44th wedding anniversary and called ahead to see if I could leave a credit card number to pay for their meal in advance. I was a bit skeptical the dinner would actually get paid for, but the Mussel Bar did an over and above job of handling the reservation, the bill and the occasion. My parents reported that about 6 staff members stopped by their table to wish them a happy 44th. You don't often see that type of service anymore and I would like to commend the staff that were working on the evening of August 8th for making a special occasion very special. Thank you to the Mussel Bar staff!Special Features:
- delicious food & great serviceJco71Dined on 8/8/2014The mussels w/ mushrooms & bacon were amazing - just can't go wrong ordering unless you don't like tasty deliciousness! The sauce was so good we ran out of bread (which had already been refilled) to dip but didn't want to ask for more since we weren't wearing stretchy pants - ha. Server was super friendly, made a good beer recommendation & came over plenty of times to check on us. Close walking distance to mall to see movie afterwards. Overall very good pick. OK, now for the cons. Bad acoustics, the place was not crowded (inside - outside was pretty full) and it was VERY noisy. We luckily were seated in the far corner, so it was good but any other table would have been annoying. Also, the draft beer was a shockingly tiny portion size.Special Features:
- Great happy hourVeryAuthenticVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was a great neighborhood area restaurant, perfect place for happy hour until 7pm each weekday with great food and drink options. The mussels were all well prepared and very delicious. Would highly recommend trying more than one!Special Features:
- Better at Dinner-TimearlingtonfoodieDined on 8/3/2014I recently went to Mussel Bar for brunch. The food was great, but the service was awkward. There were only 2 other tables being served with a significant number of staff, yet our service was extremely slow, especially at the end of our meal. We waited 15-20 min from getting to-go boxes before having to flag down and ask a different server for our check (hadn't seen our own server for awhile). The manager stood next to our table during that time, yet never made eye contact or asked how our meal was/if we needed anything. I will say this experience was MUCH different than an experience I had at dinner a few months ago. Both food and service were terrific at that time of day!! Overall, I would recommend Mussel Bar - for dinner, not brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly managedmjr1110Dined on 8/2/2014BLUF: I would not go back to Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington or recommend it to others. - After being seated, it took over 10 minutes for a waiter to pay attention to us. - The wine we served was awful, basically un-drinkable. We suspect it had gone bad but our wait service was so poor that we didn't even bother to complain. - My date started with their Cesar salad, which is supposed to have anchovies (per the menu). The waiter did not realize and actually did nothing about it even after we complained. Thankfully one of the chefs noticed the interaction and offered us some shrimp. - Considering the theme of the restaurant, the mussels themselves were surprisingly small. The preparation was good but there was not much to eat.
- Becoming a Regular StopNFH1VIPDined on 8/1/2014The rare ahi tuna and lobster Mac and cheese were both perfectly prepared and delicious. We also liked the sweet potato fries as an app. Rachael provided excellent service and several managers stopped by to ask about our experience. Be prepared for a larger check depending on how much alcohol you consume while if you enjoy that at home before your meal the cost here is reasonable at dinner or lunch..Special Features:
- SouthiejimBallstonBoosterDined on 7/30/2014You were out of my favorite beer but I had a different one that was enjoyable. The waiter was distracted and there were long gaps in service. When we couldn't decide immediately on alternate drinks and asked for a sample before ordering, he vanished for a long time and seemed grumpy upon return. Things gradually smoothed out and he was fine by the end of our visit. We were seated on time at a table of our choice and received our drinks 40 minutes afterward.Special Features:
- Good mussels but loudDCDinerDined on 7/29/2014They do mussels very well, as you would expect. Go with a simple sauce because some of their creations overpower the mussels. Happy hour prices are good but the daily drink special was a bit weak. I think happy hour prices are only available at the bar, but we got mixed messages on that. VERY loud inside and outside so not a great atmosphere for a date.
- Good SushiMusselsDined on 7/28/2014The food and service made this a unique dinning experience.Special Features:
- Mussell Bar reviewJax7Dined on 7/26/2014We had a 7 pm reservation on Saturday night. The restaurant called and left their number for a call back reconfirmation. I called back and re-confirmed our reservation. When we arrived, they had NO record of our reservation. The check in said it must have been an Open Table screw up, When I told them they had called me and I had called them back they just shrugged. Such is life. The food was good and the wait staff and the chef were fantastic. We will go back.Special Features:
- Salty and oily foodLoveToEatDCVIPDined on 7/26/2014Went for brunch with my family. Ordered a mushroom pizza for the kids which came out very greasy and salty. We also ordered two different dishes of mussels and they came out very salty as well. With the many choices of restaurants in the area, I don't think we would be going back anymore.
- Better if it were not so LOUD!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/24/2014I have been to the Mussel Bar six times. The food is terrific and fairly priced. But it is way too loud--plus they had canned music as well.. wait for a nice night and eat outside if you go.
- SolidWFMCDined on 7/24/2014Food was good. Only two gripes are the bread came with the food (would be good to ahve earlier). Also, the soda was from cans? Made me feel like it would be a per-can charge rather than free refills but did not ask.
- Great!EaterDined on 7/19/2014Excellent mussels and filet!!! Will definatly eat hear again when in Arlington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uneven and mixed updebjimVIPDined on 7/19/2014Sat outside took close to 10 min to be acknowledged by a surly waiter. The moved inside, given a new waiter, who was not told that we had been seated outside and ordered drinks at happy hour prices. Food came out fast with one dish and bread being brought to us by the chef. Kale Cesar very good, muscle were good. Personal pizzas were finished improperly but yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go To Spot that Needs ImprovementBobDianeDined on 7/18/2014Mussel Bar is a close by spot that is both convenient and fun to go to. The food is pretty decent, but appetizers and salads turn us off for their small portion sizes. The Chopped Salad portion could fit in my hand, and while tasty, keeps me from ordering it again. Last visit we had a Lamb Meatball, and while tasty as well, $11 for one small to medium meatball is a bit steep. Mussels are always good, and they make a decent burger. Fries are good, but often underdone and floppy. Dipping sauces for the fries are excellent. The Short Ribs are a good, not great dish thanks to over-salting. Service is often spotty. Recently, bread was not offered until Mussels were served. Main courses are often served before appetizers are finished.Special Features:
- Service+Food = An Enjoyable EveningArlGalDined on 7/16/2014hree out of four of us had never eaten at Mussel Bar & Grille, and we were meeting there because we wanted to try a restaurant in the Clarendon-Ballston area and one of us goes there regularly. What an enjoyable evening! When confirming the reservation we asked for certain accommodations; when we ordered, two of us asked for slight changes to a dish. Each request was handled with ease. Our waitress was training someone, and both were pleasant, helpful, and appropriately friendly. Our waitress recommended a draft beer, noting that it was on special during happy hour -- we liked it so much that we stuck with beer (rather than switch to wine, as we normally do). Overall, Mussel Bar & Grille made a great impression. We'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- music is loud!foodieVIPDined on 7/13/2014Be sure you are in the mood for loud, sometimes blaring, hard rock music. It is piped throughout the restaurant. Appears they are going for the vibe of "muscle bar."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Despite service, we'll be back!evonovichVIPDined on 7/12/2014Absolutely LOVED the food - party of 4 - we had calamari and poached shrimp for appetizers, then one of each: steak, crab cake, tuna, and my favorite the mussels with tomatoes! We also had grits and truffle parm frites. Unfortunately my Husband's glass of wine was dumped in the front of our friend by the busser - to no apology, and we had to ask for a refill. Then we had to ask that it be taken off the check. It took forever to get our drinks (although I would highly recommend the gin/cucumber "Suburban"), to get dishes cleared, to get another round - but the food more than made up for the service issues, so we'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun atmospheremommaVIPDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed our dinner very much. Service was prompt and polite. We were enjoying ourselves so much, we ordered dessert just to extend our visit.Special Features:
- Medicore in Every RegardidearrVIPDined on 7/3/2014The restaurant has a very nice buildout (comfortable booths, attractive bar et) but unfortunately looking around at your surroundings is the highlight. Mussel Bar is horribly noisy, food subpar and overpriced. Best food item is the free bread and butter (I don't mean that facetiously - the bread is really good). All downhill from there - chopped salad was tiny and tasteless, steak was overcooked & overwhelmed by unappetizing Bordelaise sauce. In fairness, the crabcake appetizer was pretty good - but small for the price. Can't really comment on service as there wasn't much of it. At this price point ($60 per person easily with one glass of wine) you should leave feeling like you had a special experience. I left feeling ripped off.
- Mussell Bar Arlington Good FoodDenzelMogVIPDined on 7/1/2014Mussel Bar Arlington has great food. I have eaten there a few times now, and I have always left very impressed by the food. Oysters are great, and of course Mussel too.Special Features:
- Mussels and BeerfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 6/30/2014Sat outside alone on a warm summer night enjoying spicy mussels and Belgium beer. I don't usually do this, but I not only finished the mussels, but ate every bit of broth they came in. The draught beer list is extensive and excellent. After dinner, I sat at the table another half hour enjoying the evening and my book. No one ever hassled me about leaving. The only criticism is that the bartender didn't give the beer time to settle, so when it got to me, the glass was an inch or two shy of being full. A small price to pay for an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.