Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
800 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22203Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.musselbar.com/
- Phone: 7038412337x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch - Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm
Brunch - Saturday - Sunday 10:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner - Monday - Sunday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar - Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:00am ( food service till 12:00am)
The Happiest Hour - Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Belgian, American
- Executive Chef: Erik Foxx-Nettnin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: NEW! Now Mussel Bar & Grille Arlington is offering gift cards which can be redeemed at any of RW Restaurant Group location. If you have any questions please contact us at 703 841 beer.
- Special Events: MUSSEL BAR AND GRILL offers dining capacity for up to 30 guests. Whether it is dining with a group of friends or celebrating an occasion, our menu is prepared and served as sharing style for your party to enjoy. Large parties are welcome for, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner and Happy Hour. Advanced reservations are required. For more information, please contact, Hanna Namysl at email@example.com or +1 703 841 BEER.
A word from Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
Chef Robert Wiedmaier's third Mussel Bar & Grille location, and first in Virginia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (65)great for outdoor dining (50)vibrant bar scene (46)good for groups (43)hot spot (37)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (22)special occasion (17)notable wine list (17)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (12)romantic (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- A Much Better ExperienceMillsVIPDined on 10/22/2014After complaining several times in the past, we finally got a booth that was relatively quiet, and a waiter who was outstanding. The food matched. This is a buzzing place that is full even at 7 in the evening, unusual for a restaurant of this size. The sweet potato frites and beet salad are beyond divine, and everyone was happy with their entrees -- lobster, Lobster Mac, Skirt steak, and mussels. While we eat in DC most of the time, having this restaurant in Arlington is a blessing. Parking in the inexpensive garage is easy, and other than being wary of the noise level, we would not hesitate to eat here anytime. DC and Alexandria friends are notorious food snobs, but all have enjoyed MB&G!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014The crab dip is not the best and I think the mediterranean mussles should have stayed on the menuSpecial Features:
- Too noisyVaSquareResidentDined on 10/17/2014Great food but much too noisy with the concrete floors and wood benches. It wa difficult to carry on a conversation because of the noise.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceCuttingboardDined on 10/12/2014I go to Mussel Bar at least once a week and yesterday was the first time I've had less than great service. I wasn't in a hurry but I had to go to the bar to order another drink for my wife and myself because the waiter could not be found. I noticed several customers doing the same.Special Features:
- Good food slow serviceLuvs2EATDined on 10/11/2014This was my second time there and we enjoyed a delicious meal but our services was so slow everyone at our table commented on how slowly we'd get our drinks and other requests. It took our server 30 minutes to get our drinks after placing the order. It was not a busy night, Our dinner reservation was for 9 pm but it still took an unreasonably long time to get anything. I would have enjoyed this birthday dinner more if services had been better this definitely needs room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy eveningLauraVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was our first visit and we will be back. We enjoyed everything we had, beers, mussels, strong burger, cookie with ice cream, cappuccino. Our server was very sweet and helpful. Love all the windows!Special Features:
- Mussel Bar and GrilleFoodforthoughtDined on 10/7/2014The food at Mussel Bar and Grille is excellent! From start to finish, the meal was delicious and enjoyable with a very attentive staff. The Pumpkin Dessert is amazing.Special Features:
- Service and Food were WONDERFULFairway2HeavenDined on 10/4/20141st time visiting and can't wait to return! We started at the bar and staff was so friendly and attentive. We moved to a table and server quickly moved our apps to the table. The wonderful service continued. Recommendations were spot on! We loved the grilled calamari, provencial mussels, and spicy crab dip. You must try the Brussels sprouts also. We were there on a busy Saturday night and service was still great. I did not think it was loud as others at posted. Just vibrant space.Special Features:
- Not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/4/2014I should have paid attention to the reviews. If was loud, that's ok since I knew it going in. What I did not expect was food that was not very good. We had 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and a pan of mussels not a single thing was memorable nor would I want again. Everything was underseasoned or had an off-putting taste. On the plus side I have plenty of managers checking on us I counted five or six it's a shame the waitress was not as attentive. I won't be back
- Service awesome, portions mehJimFromPitt14Dined on 10/2/2014Was seated and greeted promptly. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and quick with our orders (almost too quick, but that's a heck of a lot better than too slow). My date and I ordered mussels (duh), and while the mussels were huge, I might have had 12 total shells that I pulled meat from. I had 4 shells that weren't open, but I know that happens. For $24 a plate, it should have been a MUCH larger portion considering a bag of mussels goes for $6/bag from just about any food distributior. The sweet potato fries, however, were incredible and we got plenty of those. It was a bit loud, but it's an open floor plan so that's understandable. I'll be back to see if it was just a coincidence.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic doesn't begin to describeMillsVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was terrific. Everyone at the table had lived in Belgium and knew the dishes they ordered (carbonnade, mussels, etc.). Sweet potato fries were great, but my whole lobster was minute. Service was very slow. I had requested a quieter table...a booth or a window seat, and set the reservation for 7, thinking there would be fewer people. Wrong. The noise level was already at decibels, and no booths were available. All the tables in the center were unoccupied. Then a booth became available in the bar area, so we took it. The bar crowd wasn't being noisy, but between the TVs blaring, the music, and the unbelievable noise level from the adjacent room we were shouting at each other. Unacceptable in a restaurant with such good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but VERY LOUDDiner100VIPDined on 9/25/2014Good food, but noise from the bar area (and, we were there on a Thursday at 6 pm), was VERY NOISY. Hard to have a conversation.
- Mussel BarDenzelMogVIPDined on 9/24/2014Food is always great here. We enjoy the mussel's and fish dishes are really good.Special Features:
- Delicious and great service!KhonorDined on 9/23/2014First time here for lunch. We came to squeeze in an early midweek lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday. Great service and delicious, fresh tuna salad sandwich!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Calamari dish was greatGWR1VIPDined on 9/21/2014The mussels were very good but the dish of the night was the calamari. Cocktail menu is interesting.Special Features:
- Very good but a tad priceyCarlyDined on 9/21/2014Mussel bar is excellent, nice place to go to watch a game at the bar or have a nice dinner for a special occasion. All the food is delicious but a bit pricey in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love their sweet potato fries!laddcVIPDined on 9/16/2014love their sweet potato fries! along with many other thingsSpecial Features:
- Excellent MealKmerchDined on 9/14/2014The lobster mac & cheese is incredible! I'm a big eater and I had to bring some home... Our party of five enjoyed everything about the meal.Special Features:
- Get the pork bellyLemonyPersnicketVIPDined on 9/13/2014Skip the grits. I was hopeful that they might do grits right here but once again the northern restaurant failed me. The French onion soup was a little greasy and piled too high w onion straws. However pork belly was great. dean burger please my boyfriend and he shared his yummy fries. The server was most gracious about taking the grits off our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGalahDined on 9/12/2014Great cocktails, mussels were great, calamari appetizer was awesome but was VERY noisySpecial Features:
- Good food, terrible service & slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great food, terrible service and a very slow kitchen. Good beer list but it was outdated and so the menu was useless. Short ribs and mussels outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but those were not fritesArliVIPDined on 9/12/2014Tried this place recently for the first time and was sorry I hadn't tried it sooner. The food was great, and the mussels, the house specialty were pricey, but very good. My one observation would be that the "frites" are no such thing, and are instead matchstick fries, served with some tasty dipping sauces.Special Features:
- CuttingboardDined on 9/10/2014My wife and I visit Mussel Bar a couple times a week and the food, wine, beer and service is outstanding. The only complaint that I have about the restaurant is that the portions have gotten very small in the past couple of visits, especially fish. My wife ordered the salmon the other day and she received a piece of fish that very small (2"x 3"). The peppers wrapped in prosciutto is a great appetizer.Special Features:
- An ImprovementSandLVIPDined on 9/8/2014Fourth time there. Food always good. Last time service was deplorable, we complained later, impressed we received profound apologies from management later. This time all good. Place is noisy given poor acoustics, but love the open air and bar area. We'll return.Special Features:
- Great new addition to BallstonYoungretireeDined on 9/7/2014Group of three family members had a great early dinner. Service was excellent; as was the food, particularly the beet salad and the scallops appetizer. Quality of the wine list and food presentation was higher than other popular spots in Arlington. Very commendable experience.Special Features:
- Some kinks to work outHappyJaxDined on 9/6/2014Way too loud. Went with a group of three people and one person couldn't hear the conversation between the kitchen noise, other diners, and the music. The music was way too loud and the music selection was 80's hard rock (I don't mind rock, but they need to work on their acoustics first). Service was a little slow and the mussels, while good, seemed over-priced. Oh, and the women's bathroom doors are so unusually heavy that it was a challenge trying to open the door to exit (a first for me, never been stuck in a bathroom before). The layout is small and the floor was slightly damp, so i keep slipping into the door, I finally had to put my leg up on the sink in order to wedge the door open.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Great food and creative drinks but the server rushed us through dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serious Service IssuesLauraVIPDined on 8/20/2014Decided to try this restaurant for the first time with a friend on a Wed night. We both were craving mussels, so it seemed like a great choice. We were sat at a table in the middle of a heavily trafficked loud portion of the restaurant... dissapointing considering we watched two parties before us without reservations get seated at the last 2 booths. We both ordered mussels (thai curry and white wine and garlic). We were both VERY pleased with the mussles. However, we never once had a waitress stop by our table and were eventually waited on the entire evening by the manager, who obviously was distracted by numerous other things. Bill time was uncomfortable for us, as we were torn with leaving a tip for a waitress we literally NEVER saw.
- Tasty brunch selectionbrunchdudeDined on 8/17/2014Had the chicken and waffles for brunch and they were excellent. Plenty of space so there was no wait for a seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mussel bar for dinnerMrCoffee832Dined on 8/13/2014I was disappointed with the menu and the service. There were only 5 or 6 mussel entrees, and the menu did not offer any pizzas with mussels. The waiter told me it was not possible to add mussels to the pizzas. How could Mussel Bar not offer with mussel toppings for pizza?? The server was not attentive and did not bring us our bread in the beginning. The mussels were small, and several did not open up ( they were dead prior to being cooked). My bf got the white wine mussels, and I got the provencal mussels. The flavor of the white wine was excellent, and the sauce was great. The provencal sauce was good as well. The ambiance was very noisy, I felt like I had to yell to be heard across the table.Special Features:
- Five Mussel Dishes, Frites ExtraQBickleVIPDined on 8/12/2014To our surprise the restaurant called Mussel Bar only has 5 mussel dishes ($24 each) and frites (shoe string style) are a dollar extra. The portion itself was rather small and our White Wine mussels, while not associated with an abundance of complex flavors, were bland. We did, however, enjoy the subtle flavor Blue Crab Soup, the lightness of Lamb Meatball and the char of the Salmon. Overall, there are an abundance of restaurants offering better mussel dishes and selection (a couple even in the same restaurant group) at better prices. We would not return to this location for mussels. Without factoring in the mussels, the restaurant makes for a good spot to occasionally stop in for Happy Hour at but generally not worth a detour for.
- Always Reliable and Very GoodPabloVIPDined on 8/12/2014I will continue to patronage Mussel Bar. Great happy hour specials. Great food. Great Service.Special Features:
- Pricey but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2014This is a great place for a beer and some some bistro fare, however it is quite expensive for the make up of the menuSpecial Features:
- Great for special occasionshollyDined on 8/8/2014I made a reservation for my parents' 44th wedding anniversary and called ahead to see if I could leave a credit card number to pay for their meal in advance. I was a bit skeptical the dinner would actually get paid for, but the Mussel Bar did an over and above job of handling the reservation, the bill and the occasion. My parents reported that about 6 staff members stopped by their table to wish them a happy 44th. You don't often see that type of service anymore and I would like to commend the staff that were working on the evening of August 8th for making a special occasion very special. Thank you to the Mussel Bar staff!Special Features:
- delicious food & great serviceJco71Dined on 8/8/2014The mussels w/ mushrooms & bacon were amazing - just can't go wrong ordering unless you don't like tasty deliciousness! The sauce was so good we ran out of bread (which had already been refilled) to dip but didn't want to ask for more since we weren't wearing stretchy pants - ha. Server was super friendly, made a good beer recommendation & came over plenty of times to check on us. Close walking distance to mall to see movie afterwards. Overall very good pick. OK, now for the cons. Bad acoustics, the place was not crowded (inside - outside was pretty full) and it was VERY noisy. We luckily were seated in the far corner, so it was good but any other table would have been annoying. Also, the draft beer was a shockingly tiny portion size.Special Features:
- Great happy hourVeryAuthenticVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was a great neighborhood area restaurant, perfect place for happy hour until 7pm each weekday with great food and drink options. The mussels were all well prepared and very delicious. Would highly recommend trying more than one!Special Features:
- Better at Dinner-TimearlingtonfoodieDined on 8/3/2014I recently went to Mussel Bar for brunch. The food was great, but the service was awkward. There were only 2 other tables being served with a significant number of staff, yet our service was extremely slow, especially at the end of our meal. We waited 15-20 min from getting to-go boxes before having to flag down and ask a different server for our check (hadn't seen our own server for awhile). The manager stood next to our table during that time, yet never made eye contact or asked how our meal was/if we needed anything. I will say this experience was MUCH different than an experience I had at dinner a few months ago. Both food and service were terrific at that time of day!! Overall, I would recommend Mussel Bar - for dinner, not brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly managedmjr1110Dined on 8/2/2014BLUF: I would not go back to Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington or recommend it to others. - After being seated, it took over 10 minutes for a waiter to pay attention to us. - The wine we served was awful, basically un-drinkable. We suspect it had gone bad but our wait service was so poor that we didn't even bother to complain. - My date started with their Cesar salad, which is supposed to have anchovies (per the menu). The waiter did not realize and actually did nothing about it even after we complained. Thankfully one of the chefs noticed the interaction and offered us some shrimp. - Considering the theme of the restaurant, the mussels themselves were surprisingly small. The preparation was good but there was not much to eat.
- Becoming a Regular StopNFH1VIPDined on 8/1/2014The rare ahi tuna and lobster Mac and cheese were both perfectly prepared and delicious. We also liked the sweet potato fries as an app. Rachael provided excellent service and several managers stopped by to ask about our experience. Be prepared for a larger check depending on how much alcohol you consume while if you enjoy that at home before your meal the cost here is reasonable at dinner or lunch..Special Features:
- SouthiejimBallstonBoosterDined on 7/30/2014You were out of my favorite beer but I had a different one that was enjoyable. The waiter was distracted and there were long gaps in service. When we couldn't decide immediately on alternate drinks and asked for a sample before ordering, he vanished for a long time and seemed grumpy upon return. Things gradually smoothed out and he was fine by the end of our visit. We were seated on time at a table of our choice and received our drinks 40 minutes afterward.Special Features: