Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
800 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22203Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.musselbar.com/
- Phone: (703) 841-2337
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch - Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm
Brunch - Saturday - Sunday 10:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner - Monday - Sunday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar - Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:00am ( food service till 12:00am)
The Happiest Hour - Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Belgian, American
- Executive Chef: Erik Foxx-Nettnin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: NEW! Now Mussel Bar & Grille Arlington is offering gift cards which can be redeemed at any of RW Restaurant Group location. If you have any questions please contact us at 703 841 beer.
- Special Events: MUSSEL BAR AND GRILL offers dining capacity for up to 30 guests. Whether it is dining with a group of friends or celebrating an occasion, our menu is prepared and served as sharing style for your party to enjoy. Large parties are welcome for, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner and Happy Hour. Advanced reservations are required. For more information, please contact, Hanna Namysl at email@example.com or +1 703 841 BEER.
A word from Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
Chef Robert Wiedmaier's third Mussel Bar & Grille location, and first in Virginia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (59)vibrant bar scene (48)good for groups (47)hot spot (45)great for outdoor dining (39)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (20)notable wine list (19)special occasion (16)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (8)romantic (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Mussel Bar-Arlington is fantastic. They have an incredible (extensive) beer list, and (of course) you have to try the mussels! The staff is attentive without being overbearing. I couldn't have asked for a better dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good for a chainLouieDined on 11/22/2014This bar is usually packed on the weekends so you do need a reservation. If you stick to tavern fare and belgian specialties you will be pleased. The "moules-frites" plates are all good and so is the octopus appetizer. The place does need to figure out what it wants to be. I wouldn't say it's a full identity crisis, but If your inspiration is an old-world belgian roadhouse then you should have more belgian fare in your menu and less BBQ dishes. Deviled eggs, pork belly, brisket burgers, shrimps & grits, and lobster mac-n-cheese, for example, don't make sense to me. There's a small line between trying to have a fun/laid back menu and having a minimum of self-respect as a restaurateur (sticking to your guns/not selling out). Plus you have to be consistent with the decor/ambiance. It's servers need to be more knowledgeable about both the menu and the beer list. Also, it would be a good idea to separate beers by origin, as it might be obvious for some, but not all. Overall, we had a good experience and the servers were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique and delicousN2FabFoodVIPDined on 11/21/2014Had thai green curry mussels and absolutely loved them. Fragrant, taste sensation plus! French onion soup really delicous and different with fried onions as topping. Cool space but noise excessive if looking for conversation at normal level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True delight!foodie8heartDined on 11/16/2014Enjoyed the mussels (had Provencale). The spicy blue crab dip was quite tasty. Our waitress was really nice, very helpful. Was excited to learn about their daily happy hour. I will return for their Tuesday happy hour specials!Special Features:
- Good but service seems to be slippingJameyBVIPDined on 11/16/2014We've been to this Arlington location several times, and were disappointed with our recent visit. The mussels were still great, but the revised menu took off at least one of our favorite appetizers (the tuna tartar), and the service was amateurish and inattentive. It was a slow Sunday evening, so that may have been the reason, but it definitely had the feel of a restaurant that did not have a competent and attentive manager on duty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to get more for your moneygtb104Dined on 11/15/2014We've been here 8+ times. We almost always get the mussels. The last two or three times we've noticed that the portion of mussels you get is smaller. The main reason is that the physical size of the mussel shell seems to have gotten larger, and they are putting less in the pan. Probably not worth the $24 anymore as you need to get an appetizer to feel full. I've also gotten the salmon which was on the smaller side. The food is really tasty, don't get me wrong. It's just not filling as it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and lots more tooMrNaturalDined on 11/12/2014I've eaten at Mussel Bar & Grille in Arlington now twice. I will definitely go back. Maybe even in a few minutes! It is very conveniently located literally across the street from my hotel, The Westin in Arlington, VA. There are not too many choices within easy walking distance. This should be your first choice. Both food and service are excellent as well. First of all, the service is superb from the moment you walk in the door. The staff is focused on you and it is clear they also work as a team. I had exactly the right amount of attention, no more no less. If you dine out as much as I do, you know how rare that is at anything less than a 5-star restaurant. The bartender last night made me one of the best martini's ever. That's even MORE rare. :) Food: Excellent. I had the seared calamari as an appetizer. There is plenty for two to share. This was not your typical Washington, DC deep fried calamari. Octopus was also included and the sauce was great. For my entree, I had the mussels Provençal, my favorite. I have had this dish at many places, all over the US and Europe. This dish stacks up there among the best. They have several other preparations as well and although I can't comment on them, if they are at the same level of quality as the Provençal, you will be very pleased. There are plenty of mussels in the serving. You may want MORE, but that's because they are so good, not because the serving was small. A small number of baguette slices were served as well. I would have liked double that amount to soak up the great broth. The side of seasoned fries comes with a couple of sauces, one of which is surprisingly spicy. The restaurant is quite noisy with many hard surfaces that reflect the sound. I deducted a star from ambience for that reason. I may be old fashioned, but I prefer a quiet, low hum of conversation. In the evening, this is not a place to have a quiet conversation. Lunch was much quieter of course. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food and a great place!CurtDined on 11/12/2014I would recommend to anyone. It is such a great place to go. The food is great and reservations are recommended. Plenty of parking right near the location and on the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatrickDined on 11/9/2014very disappointed. When server arrived, my companion ordered tea and i ordered coffee. He brought a french press and i got one cup out of it. When i then looked at the menu it listed $3.50/french drip. The larger size was $6.00. I wish the server had advised me that the charge would be per order and i might have taken the option to order the larger size. Who at breadfast/brunch only drinks 1 cup. When I asked if I would have to pay for another cup of coffee, the hostess said yes. To top it off the bill charged $4.00 vs. the listed price of $3.50 on the menu. Think you need to consider for breakfast/brunch just serving by the cup at a set price; save the french press for dinner if at all?
- small portions big priceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/7/2014After waiting 40 minutes for our appetizers (we were told it was the kitchen's fault and graciously they were comped by the manager), we were dismayed to find 3 small pieces of pork belly swimming in a sea of baked beans and utterly bland deviled eggs. While the mussels were good two of them didn't open, which in a portion of 15 mussels is not a good ratio. The noise level was unbearable.Special Features:
- Good but very loudSandyBillDined on 11/5/2014You've heard of a wall of sound? Well, that's what greeted us as we were lead to a booth by the bar. We asked for another table, which we were cheerfully given. It was less noisy, but conversation wasn't easy. The food was good and the service was fine, but what I most recall is the noise.Special Features:
- ArlingtonFoodieDined on 11/5/2014First of all, even with a reservation we were placed at a table by the bar while happy hour was going on. The sound of loud cackling girls was ear piercing. The octopus appetizer was over cooked. The seared tuna had no flavor. The only good thing we ate was my boyfriends mahi mahi. Our waitress seemed extremely flustered and checked on is at least 20 times throughout the meal.. Really annoying actually.
- Very weird nighteasternmarketchicVIPDined on 11/3/2014Started when confirming res, hostess asked if we could come 15 min early. As it was a Monday 7pm res w/ppl coming from across town we couldnt. I got there 12 min early myself & was the ONLY person in main dining area. Couldnt see why they asked us to chg times. Seated in the line of fire of an aggressive exhaust fan. Both irritating & made food cold. Server was...strange. Described an entree as being "a good deal" b/c it was "on sale from the usual price." Ordered wine & she poured entire bottle into 4 glasses despite the fact that we wanted different amounts each. Food was aggressively mediocre & quickly became cold w/fan.Mgr did offer to move but too late. When time to pay, I had to go track down an employee to find our server.
- mussels and steakOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/2/2014Great mussels and we ordered the Culotte steak.. very tender and nicely cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly High QualityPatSVIPDined on 11/2/2014Everything you order is well made, cooked the right way, and perfectly seasoned. If you like Belgium style mussels this is a fantastic place to go. Pair them with a beer from their extensive list and you are in for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels were goodNolafilleDined on 11/1/2014The mussels were what brought me to this restaurant but I found that they were a bit over priced for what you got. The wine list is quite good.
- Very pleasant discovery in BallstonTravelingDinerVIPDined on 10/29/2014This was my first time visiting this restaurant and I was deliciously impressed! They offer a number of variants on classic cocktails. Their take on a Manhattan and a Margarita were well-made, good looking and delicious. They offer a huge beer list! The oysters were sweet! I tried the Mussels Provençal with sweet potato fries with aiolis. The fries were excellent--crispy! The mussels were really, really good: big, sweet, succulent (and all open) and the broth...mmmmmmmmmmm!!! I ate all the broth and nearly licked the shells! The service was excellent: friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and quick! I went early and it began to fill up while I was eating. The whole vibe is very inviting! Mussels is my new go-to restaurant in Ballston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food -- could be loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014I decided to risk a late (1:30) business lunch at Mussel Bar. The food was great -- Ahi tuna salad, octopus, calamari -- but even during the post-lunch "slow time" all the hard surfaces makes it a bit noisy. I can only imagine how loud it could get when full. Good choice if you're looking for great food and a lot of energy -- not so much for a more intimate evening.Special Features:
- DisappointingbpmurDined on 10/24/2014Granted, it was a busy Friday night, but service at this restaurant is poor. We were seated about a half-hour late for our meal, my water glass was filled once and then never refilled, and our food was sub-par for the prices here. The beer list is extensive and the oysters are well-shucked and tasty, but you can find much better places to eat in this area.
- Huge mussels, pebbles, and serviceBoringVIPDined on 10/24/2014I've never seen such large mussels -- they were huge. We were told they were "wild ocean" mussels. Not so good, though, as I had two pebbles and a large piece of grit in three out of three mussels. We were shocked at the size of the pebbles! The assistant manager was very apologetic and kindly offered to comp another entree from the menu. The chef came out and apologized as well -- all very professional. The manager presented our check at the end and we were charged for the other food we ordered - so obviously there was an internal communication failure. But overall - from the server to the chef - everyone was very professional and accommodating. I'll go back but not until they have the (normal sized) mussels they used to.
- Great beer selection!tbkatlantaDined on 10/23/2014I am in this area often and I was told this was the latest/greatest place, so I took a group of 6. We tried a variety of things and everything was exceptional. The beer selection was excellent, and even though my favorite was not listed, they had it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeCMacN1Dined on 10/23/2014It was a very good dining experience. The food and service were excellent. The restaurant is very open and tables well-spaced which is great for conversation, but it seemed a little bare. Loved the carbonated water at $1.00 per bottle!Special Features:
- A Much Better ExperienceMillsVIPDined on 10/22/2014After complaining several times in the past, we finally got a booth that was relatively quiet, and a waiter who was outstanding. The food matched. This is a buzzing place that is full even at 7 in the evening, unusual for a restaurant of this size. The sweet potato frites and beet salad are beyond divine, and everyone was happy with their entrees -- lobster, Lobster Mac, Skirt steak, and mussels. While we eat in DC most of the time, having this restaurant in Arlington is a blessing. Parking in the inexpensive garage is easy, and other than being wary of the noise level, we would not hesitate to eat here anytime. DC and Alexandria friends are notorious food snobs, but all have enjoyed MB&G!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014The crab dip is not the best and I think the mediterranean mussles should have stayed on the menuSpecial Features:
- Too noisyVaSquareResidentDined on 10/17/2014Great food but much too noisy with the concrete floors and wood benches. It wa difficult to carry on a conversation because of the noise.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceCuttingboardDined on 10/12/2014I go to Mussel Bar at least once a week and yesterday was the first time I've had less than great service. I wasn't in a hurry but I had to go to the bar to order another drink for my wife and myself because the waiter could not be found. I noticed several customers doing the same.Special Features:
- Good food slow serviceLuvs2EATDined on 10/11/2014This was my second time there and we enjoyed a delicious meal but our services was so slow everyone at our table commented on how slowly we'd get our drinks and other requests. It took our server 30 minutes to get our drinks after placing the order. It was not a busy night, Our dinner reservation was for 9 pm but it still took an unreasonably long time to get anything. I would have enjoyed this birthday dinner more if services had been better this definitely needs room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy eveningLauraVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was our first visit and we will be back. We enjoyed everything we had, beers, mussels, strong burger, cookie with ice cream, cappuccino. Our server was very sweet and helpful. Love all the windows!Special Features:
- Mussel Bar and GrilleFoodforthoughtDined on 10/7/2014The food at Mussel Bar and Grille is excellent! From start to finish, the meal was delicious and enjoyable with a very attentive staff. The Pumpkin Dessert is amazing.Special Features:
- Service and Food were WONDERFULFairway2HeavenDined on 10/4/20141st time visiting and can't wait to return! We started at the bar and staff was so friendly and attentive. We moved to a table and server quickly moved our apps to the table. The wonderful service continued. Recommendations were spot on! We loved the grilled calamari, provencial mussels, and spicy crab dip. You must try the Brussels sprouts also. We were there on a busy Saturday night and service was still great. I did not think it was loud as others at posted. Just vibrant space.Special Features:
- Not very goodFoodJunkyVIPDined on 10/4/2014I should have paid attention to the reviews. If was loud, that's ok since I knew it going in. What I did not expect was food that was not very good. We had 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and a pan of mussels not a single thing was memorable nor would I want again. Everything was underseasoned or had an off-putting taste. On the plus side I have plenty of managers checking on us I counted five or six it's a shame the waitress was not as attentive. I won't be back
- Service awesome, portions mehJimFromPitt14Dined on 10/2/2014Was seated and greeted promptly. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and quick with our orders (almost too quick, but that's a heck of a lot better than too slow). My date and I ordered mussels (duh), and while the mussels were huge, I might have had 12 total shells that I pulled meat from. I had 4 shells that weren't open, but I know that happens. For $24 a plate, it should have been a MUCH larger portion considering a bag of mussels goes for $6/bag from just about any food distributior. The sweet potato fries, however, were incredible and we got plenty of those. It was a bit loud, but it's an open floor plan so that's understandable. I'll be back to see if it was just a coincidence.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic doesn't begin to describeMillsVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was terrific. Everyone at the table had lived in Belgium and knew the dishes they ordered (carbonnade, mussels, etc.). Sweet potato fries were great, but my whole lobster was minute. Service was very slow. I had requested a quieter table...a booth or a window seat, and set the reservation for 7, thinking there would be fewer people. Wrong. The noise level was already at decibels, and no booths were available. All the tables in the center were unoccupied. Then a booth became available in the bar area, so we took it. The bar crowd wasn't being noisy, but between the TVs blaring, the music, and the unbelievable noise level from the adjacent room we were shouting at each other. Unacceptable in a restaurant with such good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but VERY LOUDDiner100VIPDined on 9/25/2014Good food, but noise from the bar area (and, we were there on a Thursday at 6 pm), was VERY NOISY. Hard to have a conversation.
- Mussel BarDenzelMogVIPDined on 9/24/2014Food is always great here. We enjoy the mussel's and fish dishes are really good.Special Features:
- Delicious and great service!KhonorDined on 9/23/2014First time here for lunch. We came to squeeze in an early midweek lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday. Great service and delicious, fresh tuna salad sandwich!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Calamari dish was greatGWR1VIPDined on 9/21/2014The mussels were very good but the dish of the night was the calamari. Cocktail menu is interesting.Special Features:
- Horrible Service....Will NOT returnWillowwhereruDined on 9/21/2014The hostess was watching a football game when we entered and told her colleague about the game in front of us. She was also watching the game when we left and did not say a word. I have been to this location 4 times prior without issue however, the time was differerent. The food was good but servers did not care at all. They only wanted to roll silverware while we sat without any attention at all. I felt like we were intruding on their closing process, which was more important. I even spoke with one of the managers Ivana Kavaca, and she told me that she did not care if we were having issues and was very dismissive. In a very heated discussion, she stated that she did not care if we were having problems with receiving service.
- Very good but a tad priceyCarlyDined on 9/21/2014Mussel bar is excellent, nice place to go to watch a game at the bar or have a nice dinner for a special occasion. All the food is delicious but a bit pricey in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014I have been to Mussel Bar & Grille before and we had excellent food. This past time, we returned with my parents. Unfortunately, the mussels tasted as if they had gone bad. It was the first time I have ever returned food to the kitchen. The staff was very considerate about it & brought out additional food (which was a bit mediocre) very quickly. A+ for service, but we were disappointed after the wonderful food we had eaten last time. We will give them another chance because I believe it was a bad batch. I am hoping the next review will be more favorable.Special Features: