208 Bloor St. W.
Toronto, ON M5S 3B4Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.museumtavern.ca/
- Phone: 4169200110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Gouzopoulos
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Please join our professional bartenders for specialty cocktails chilled to sub-zero temperatures with their expert use of liquid nitrogen.
- Cross Street: Avenue Rd. & Bloor St. W.
- Public Transit: Museum Tavern is located near two major TTC Subway Stops: Museum Station and St. George Station.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: A public, "Green P" parking lot is located directly behind our restaurant. The lot may be accessed from Bedford Road, one block west of Museum Tavern. The lot is half a block north on the east side of the street. Street parking is also available on Bloor Street.
A word from Museum Tavern
Museum Tavern is a classic American styled tavern. We offer traditional fare with a focus on fresh local ingredients. Our ode to the great American bar is fully stocked with house-made, classic, and oak aged cocktails, as well as a lengthy list of single malt whiskeys. We are located at 208 Bloor St. W., on the 2nd floor, directly across from the Royal Ontario Museum and the Royal Conservatory of Music. Elevators may be accessed in the lobby of our building.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Museum Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)great for outdoor dining (43)great for lunch (41)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (25)scenic view (21)late-night find (20)romantic (19)great for brunch (18)hot spot (17)special occasion (15)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Best thing about this place is the cocktails! They also have a great selection of dishes on the menu and the food is very good. Nice environment/decor and perfect location being close to major uptown event spaces. On both occasions however, we found the service lacking. On a basic level it was fine; servers are attentive. But the approach however lacked professionalism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, as always.craigarVIPDined on 10/21/2014And great atmosphere, service, and the drinks were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cuneusDined on 10/18/2014Noisy on a Saturday evening pre-concert at Koerner Hall, but great service from waiter David and very enjoyable food with some interesting options. We'll go back.Special Features:
- Museum Taverndarcy275Dined on 10/17/2014Great night, good food, amazing service. Overall very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy Gem at Avenue Road and BloorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014The Museum Tavern is a intimate cosy spot with warm classic european bar ambience. The food is delicious, consistent and fresh! The service is attentive but professional. Overall a very enjoyable experience. This is the perfect spot for locals and tourist alike. Great for an intimate dinner, or a fun get together with friends. This is definitely my new favourite local!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantasticInspectorGadgetDined on 10/10/2014We've been here many times and we have never been less than blown away. Amazing good, awesome staff. Do yourself a favour and try the elk sliders and the buttermilk fried chicken sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeteDined on 10/7/2014One of the worse restaurant experiences ever. Lots of activity but no service. Very noisey We left early. What was to be a celebration of aour first grandchild was ruined by an awful performance. Will never return. And I wouldn't recommend it
- Worth the Trek up the StairsJaNineDined on 10/3/2014For years we thought we were limited to the chain restaurant down the street when we visited the ROM or the Royal Conservatory of Music. One Sunday afternoon, before we visited the museum, we ventured up the stairs to the Museum Tavern and were pleasantly surprised with an ambience thankfully absent of big screen televisions and boring pub fare. The menu was creative and tasty with many healthy selections. The service was excellent without being invasive or pretentious. While a few more draft options would be nice, we were able select a foaming beverage suited to our individual tastes. The Museum Tavern is now our regular eatery whenever we are attending events in the University-Bloor area.Special Features:
- Good by noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014Food and service very good but too noisy for good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outGMPKDined on 9/28/2014Went for dinner with a friend on Sunday evening. I have heard about this restaurant for a long time and had never been. So glad I finally checked it out. Service was great, very patient and friendly. The food was delicious. We asked for a substitution and they did not hesitate to give it to us which was most appreciated and tasted great. They were also accommodating when we said we were in a rush to leave and brought us our bill right away. The atmosphere is great as well as the decor. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You've gone downhillGeorgeVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've been going to the Museum Tavern since it opened. It was great in the beginning, slightly mediocre a while ago, and so mediocre now that we will not go back. Albacore cones that fall apart with spicing that is identical to the spicing in the steak tartare (why not just give us a jar of sriracha to suck on?), a lobster roll that is so small that it's almost impossible to share, an overworked waitperson--and okay french fries. Unless we hear something has changed, it's off our list. Oh, and listening to the kitchen staff yelling at each other isn't exactly a positive experience either.
- Mediocre food and lots of noiseladieslunchDined on 9/18/2014We tried the Museum Tavern before a recent concert. The food is extremely average; better can be had in a number of cheaper chain pubs or restaurants like Shoeless Joe's or Jack Astor's. The "pie crust" is so tough it can't be cut with a fork or even picked up and bitten with the teeth. The noise level spilling out from the bar is so loud you're reduced to shouting at your dining companions or to carrying on no conversation at all. Our server who was friendly and attentive was the one bright spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Outstanding - there's a reason it's known for the best lobster roll in Toronto - well deserved. Service was excellent - pleasant and timely. Would definitely make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and servicemvh1Dined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed the food and service, but the noise level was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravellingmaxVIPDined on 9/9/2014They do a mean burger. Always attentive service. Excellent cocktail menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good pub value, very noisyDmatDined on 9/4/2014good selection and good value, somewhere on the quality and price crossover between pub and bistro, restaurant is extremely nosiy, even partially full on an early mid-week eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014I had the Dble veggie burger, very tasty with a touch of spicy mayonnaise. very very good. My husband had the ribs and they were also extremely good. The waiter, David, was super super attentive. Kitchen is very clean. Going back to take my friend for her birthday.Special Features:
- Good food, okay serviceLK2014Dined on 8/29/2014I went to this restaurant for lunch a couple of times this summer. The food was fantastic the first time I went. The service was pretty good too. The second time I went last week, the food was a bit over salted but still good. The service, however, was not great. Maybe the sever was new. My friend ordered a main course instead of a lunch course specifically to get a large portion of fries because last time we went there the fries were small. The waitress confirmed before she ordered that there would be a generous portion of fries. When she got her dish, it came with a lunch portion. No big deal, but instead of brining her more fries she just apologized a million times. It was kind of annoying. Anyways, food is great, service is just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Burger and Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Great food!!! David our server was awesome!! His recommendations for drinks and food were exactly what we were looking for. Will defenitly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for family lunchmmtwinsDined on 8/22/2014We came to this restaurant based on a friend's recommendation for lunch and its proximity to the Museum. The menu selection is good and we like our choices. The staff are friendly and we received good service. However, we feel that the service was a bit slow since we came on a Friday and before the lunch crowd but we waited over 25 minutes for our food to come. The children was getting hungry and if there are some sort of snacks while we wait, that may be a good option. We like the ambiance and the option of the outdoor even though we stayed inside. I was not sure whether it was wheelchair accessible as we have to go up the stairs since it is on the second floor. We enjoyed our experience and will certainly come back again.Special Features:
- food for thought!!bloorstreetdinerDined on 8/21/2014near the university--shopping and of course the ROM--great location for interesting food at an OK price. Server was excellent--and helped us to enjoy our evening I am possibly too old for noisy restaurants which is a shame as I will be missing out on some good food . this would be the only reason I might not go back.Special Features:
- Good food and service but noisywarrenVIPDined on 8/19/2014This is a good place except that it is noisy. Not a problem if you don't find this... obviously lots of young people really enjoy the place and food. But I'm over 60 and found it just a bit too much. Loved their apps, burger, bee and creative menu.
- Great burger!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Loved the double cheeseburger - very tasty, yet expensive. There was an excess of fries and the coleslaw was a little bland.Special Features:
- Not a Good Pick for Monday nightjannynsDined on 8/11/2014My son has been at this restaurant numerous times and loved it but sadly Monday night is just not this restaurant's night. I guess because we looked like we were on our last dime with our Brook Brothers bag, the manager sat us next to the kitchen though the restaurant was only about 25% full. We ordered the Buttermilk Fried Chicken to start and one of the pieces was raw. My son's dish was good, his favourite Sausage & Spatzle. My scallops were way overcooked and rubbery. We then ordered the chocolate cheesecake which was highly recommended. It came as a slab of cake, no garnish and tasted like it had been 4 Mondays before. I trust my son's opinion explicitly so I know this restaurant can do better, it just struggles on Mondays.
- Best Fish 'n'Chips!FussyFoodieDined on 8/9/2014I have dined at the Museum Tavern three times in the past year. Each visit was remarkable for the quality and imagination of the menu, as well as friendly, but unobtrusive service. On one occasion, with a performance to catch, food was fast-tracked so we made it on time.Special Features:
- Good selection of meatsRomanZDined on 8/8/2014Very nice service every time I visit and consistently good foodSpecial Features:
- TravellingmaxVIPDined on 8/7/2014We love their burgers..always yummy. Always very good service. A good neighbourhood gem.Special Features:
- Good food. Long wait.No2WaysDined on 8/6/2014Food was good. Drinks were good. Service was good...when they got around to us. Our group of four was there on a quiet Wednesday evening. After we were seated it took an eternity for our server to come and when we places our drinks order it took at least 15 or 20 min for our drinks to come. That would have been understandable on a really busy night but it was a relatively quiet evening. Food didn't take quite as long and to be fair our server was quite personable. All in all a good experience but the wait times are the difference between a good review and an excellent one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- museum tavern: kitchen in the weedspickyeaterDined on 7/31/2014I have eaten at the Museum Tavern a few times for lunch and always had good service with tasty food. Although the menu is quite limited in it's vegetarian options (the one item I loved...some sort of tofu wrap...is now off the menu), there is a good variety of light options for lunch and dinner (the menu is the same for both). That is why, when I was deciding on a place to eat before an evening concert at Koerner Hall, I chose to eat there again. Well, it was a mistake, plain and simple. The food took forever to arrive, and when it did, the meal my companion ate was mostly cold (and it was supposed to be hot) and they forgot to deliver him his side dishes. 1/2 a Cornish Hen piled on cold potatoes for $21 = total rip-off.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014We had a nice waitress, but were kept waiting an hour for our food. We were going to an event, so had to wolf it down when it came. (and it was pretty ordinary.)
- LynnBillDined on 7/22/2014Service very slow and server unengaged. Disappointing evening. Food not as good as past experience.Special Features:
- Museum Tavern SummerliciousFoodCritterDined on 7/20/2014Great food, great price, and friendly service! We went for summerlicious dinner, which was $25 and had way more than enough to eat. The buttermilk fried chicken was delicious. The tuna burger was so flavourful and the fries made it a really filling meal. The seasonal cake was a brownie with ice cream, which was also great. It was the first summerlicious meal that was really worth its money! Definitely coming back here someday, perhaps for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedtorontodinerDined on 7/20/2014We ordered the french short rib dip and the fish and chips. The french dip was tasty but soggy and the fish was overcooked and encased in too-thick batter. The fries were lukewarm and limp. The desserts (sorbet and chocolate cake) were laughable at best. The sorbet had half melted and the "cake" was a tiny square of something hard and chewy with melted vanilla ice cream on top. The host was not at all friendly or welcoming. Our server, though nice, kept forgetting to bring us the basics such as cutlery and napkins. I understand that it's difficult to get a real feel for a restaurant during Summerlicious. However, if this restaurant was looking to attract new patrons, I can't say it succeeded with me. I wouldn't come back or recommend it.Special Features:
- great summerlicious dinnerdiodeDined on 7/19/2014The steak is the best I've tried so far. I like the sausages as well. went with a group of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EasyDinerDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant has a great looking interior, and the view from the patio is nice as the ROM and Royal Conservatory of Music are across the street. Service was great overall, with the host remembering that I had requested a seat on the patio when I made my reservation, and referring to that before I even mentioned it in person. They were very accommodating and didn't give me any trouble at all about my dining partner being delayed and leaving me to take up a whole table alone for half an hour. One of my servers was a little snippy about how we could only order things from the Summerlicious menu and couldn't get any regular apps, but other than that, it was a very nice little afternoon stop. I've been before, and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate ServiceCrystalDined on 7/18/2014Arrived 5 minutes in advance of our 6:30 reservation (2 people) and we were seated quickly. The two tables beside us were empty. After 20 minutes, another couple was seated at the table beside us. They were greeted by the server and given water. We were still waiting for any acknowledgment of our existence. Another 10 minutes pass by, another couple is seated right beside us. They receive service right away. We are STILL waiting. We try to flag down the server who seems to be purposely avoiding us (she would turn her body toward the couple beside us so as to "avoid" looking at us). After 35 minutes of no water, no greeting, no drink orders taken, we leave. I have been here in the past and LOVED the food. Shame that I won't be back.Special Features:
- Amazing food, great serviceannimayDined on 7/17/2014Went to museum tavern for summerlicious. The food was fantastic especially the maple ribs.. Which I am sad I didn't get to have as my entre. Our server was great and very attentive. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Great choice for summerlicious!Summer2014Dined on 7/17/2014Went for summerlicious 2014. $25 for a 3 course meal is amazing when you look at the pricing normally. Our waitress was great! Attentive but also fun and very personable. Food was great. My sister got the fried chicken, the ahi tuna burger, and the chocolate brownie. She was pretty full just from the starter which was a large (but delicious) portion. I had the tuna tartare tostadas (amazing!), the aztec bowl, and the blueberry pie. I wasn't big on the aztec bowl (not sure how they prepared the tofu, avocado, jalapenos and tomatillos, wasn't a fan) but I ended up having some of my sister's burger as she was full from her starter and it was delicious. I would highly recommend here during summerlicious, little too pricy otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed Summerlicious visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The waiter who took us (a large group) to our seats was not accommodating and had poor attitude (facial and verbal), even though there weren't that many people at the time when we arrived. I had a fork with food stuck (dry) between the prongs of the fork. Although the waiter was quick to switch it to a new one, there was nothing stellar with the restaurant overall. The food was passable. The fries were cold and too salty. There was nothing special with the burger. The pastry on the pie was hard and not puffy. The 'cake' was frozen. What stood out was that it was so loud that I could not hear the person sitting across from me. It was a poor pick to celebrate (any occasion).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Guess we came late and I was so excited to checkout this place after seeing the great reviews that I was less than pleased after dining here. I came for the summerlicious, the duck was a bit dry from the duck buns, the mains were good, but nothing that stood out to mention. The brownie was frozen, I felt embarrased to eat it and the pastry on the pie was not fluffy.