208 Bloor St. W.
Toronto, ON M5S 3B4Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.museumtavern.ca/
- Phone: 4169200110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Gouzopoulos
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Please join our professional bartenders for specialty cocktails chilled to sub-zero temperatures with their expert use of liquid nitrogen.
- Cross Street: Avenue Rd. & Bloor St. W.
- Public Transit: Museum Tavern is located near two major TTC Subway Stops: Museum Station and St. George Station.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: A public, "Green P" parking lot is located directly behind our restaurant. The lot may be accessed from Bedford Road, one block west of Museum Tavern. The lot is half a block north on the east side of the street. Street parking is also available on Bloor Street.
A word from Museum Tavern
Museum Tavern is a classic American styled tavern. We offer traditional fare with a focus on fresh local ingredients. Our ode to the great American bar is fully stocked with house-made, classic, and oak aged cocktails, as well as a lengthy list of single malt whiskeys. We are located at 208 Bloor St. W., on the 2nd floor, directly across from the Royal Ontario Museum and the Royal Conservatory of Music. Elevators may be accessed in the lobby of our building.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Museum Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)great for outdoor dining (44)great for lunch (40)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (30)scenic view (20)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (18)romantic (17)late-night find (17)special occasion (14)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Good food, okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014I went to this restaurant for lunch a couple of times this summer. The food was fantastic the first time I went. The service was pretty good too. The second time I went last week, the food was a bit over salted but still good. The service, however, was not great. Maybe the sever was new. My friend ordered a main course instead of a lunch course specifically to get a large portion of fries because last time we went there the fries were small. The waitress confirmed before she ordered that there would be a generous portion of fries. When she got her dish, it came with a lunch portion. No big deal, but instead of brining her more fries she just apologized a million times. It was kind of annoying. Anyways, food is great, service is just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Burger and Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Great food!!! David our server was awesome!! His recommendations for drinks and food were exactly what we were looking for. Will defenitly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for family lunchmmtwinsDined on 8/22/2014We came to this restaurant based on a friend's recommendation for lunch and its proximity to the Museum. The menu selection is good and we like our choices. The staff are friendly and we received good service. However, we feel that the service was a bit slow since we came on a Friday and before the lunch crowd but we waited over 25 minutes for our food to come. The children was getting hungry and if there are some sort of snacks while we wait, that may be a good option. We like the ambiance and the option of the outdoor even though we stayed inside. I was not sure whether it was wheelchair accessible as we have to go up the stairs since it is on the second floor. We enjoyed our experience and will certainly come back again.Special Features:
- food for thought!!bloorstreetdinerDined on 8/21/2014near the university--shopping and of course the ROM--great location for interesting food at an OK price. Server was excellent--and helped us to enjoy our evening I am possibly too old for noisy restaurants which is a shame as I will be missing out on some good food . this would be the only reason I might not go back.Special Features:
- Good food and service but noisywarrenDined on 8/19/2014This is a good place except that it is noisy. Not a problem if you don't find this... obviously lots of young people really enjoy the place and food. But I'm over 60 and found it just a bit too much. Loved their apps, burger, bee and creative menu.
- Great burger!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Loved the double cheeseburger - very tasty, yet expensive. There was an excess of fries and the coleslaw was a little bland.Special Features:
- Not a Good Pick for Monday nightjannynsDined on 8/11/2014My son has been at this restaurant numerous times and loved it but sadly Monday night is just not this restaurant's night. I guess because we looked like we were on our last dime with our Brook Brothers bag, the manager sat us next to the kitchen though the restaurant was only about 25% full. We ordered the Buttermilk Fried Chicken to start and one of the pieces was raw. My son's dish was good, his favourite Sausage & Spatzle. My scallops were way overcooked and rubbery. We then ordered the chocolate cheesecake which was highly recommended. It came as a slab of cake, no garnish and tasted like it had been 4 Mondays before. I trust my son's opinion explicitly so I know this restaurant can do better, it just struggles on Mondays.
- Best Fish 'n'Chips!FussyFoodieDined on 8/9/2014I have dined at the Museum Tavern three times in the past year. Each visit was remarkable for the quality and imagination of the menu, as well as friendly, but unobtrusive service. On one occasion, with a performance to catch, food was fast-tracked so we made it on time.Special Features:
- TravellingmaxVIPDined on 8/7/2014We love their burgers..always yummy. Always very good service. A good neighbourhood gem.Special Features:
- Good food. Long wait.No2WaysDined on 8/6/2014Food was good. Drinks were good. Service was good...when they got around to us. Our group of four was there on a quiet Wednesday evening. After we were seated it took an eternity for our server to come and when we places our drinks order it took at least 15 or 20 min for our drinks to come. That would have been understandable on a really busy night but it was a relatively quiet evening. Food didn't take quite as long and to be fair our server was quite personable. All in all a good experience but the wait times are the difference between a good review and an excellent one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- museum tavern: kitchen in the weedspickyeaterDined on 7/31/2014I have eaten at the Museum Tavern a few times for lunch and always had good service with tasty food. Although the menu is quite limited in it's vegetarian options (the one item I loved...some sort of tofu wrap...is now off the menu), there is a good variety of light options for lunch and dinner (the menu is the same for both). That is why, when I was deciding on a place to eat before an evening concert at Koerner Hall, I chose to eat there again. Well, it was a mistake, plain and simple. The food took forever to arrive, and when it did, the meal my companion ate was mostly cold (and it was supposed to be hot) and they forgot to deliver him his side dishes. 1/2 a Cornish Hen piled on cold potatoes for $21 = total rip-off.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014We had a nice waitress, but were kept waiting an hour for our food. We were going to an event, so had to wolf it down when it came. (and it was pretty ordinary.)
- LynnBillDined on 7/22/2014Service very slow and server unengaged. Disappointing evening. Food not as good as past experience.Special Features:
- Museum Tavern SummerliciousFoodCritterDined on 7/20/2014Great food, great price, and friendly service! We went for summerlicious dinner, which was $25 and had way more than enough to eat. The buttermilk fried chicken was delicious. The tuna burger was so flavourful and the fries made it a really filling meal. The seasonal cake was a brownie with ice cream, which was also great. It was the first summerlicious meal that was really worth its money! Definitely coming back here someday, perhaps for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedtorontodinerDined on 7/20/2014We ordered the french short rib dip and the fish and chips. The french dip was tasty but soggy and the fish was overcooked and encased in too-thick batter. The fries were lukewarm and limp. The desserts (sorbet and chocolate cake) were laughable at best. The sorbet had half melted and the "cake" was a tiny square of something hard and chewy with melted vanilla ice cream on top. The host was not at all friendly or welcoming. Our server, though nice, kept forgetting to bring us the basics such as cutlery and napkins. I understand that it's difficult to get a real feel for a restaurant during Summerlicious. However, if this restaurant was looking to attract new patrons, I can't say it succeeded with me. I wouldn't come back or recommend it.Special Features:
- great summerlicious dinnerdiodeDined on 7/19/2014The steak is the best I've tried so far. I like the sausages as well. went with a group of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EasyDinerDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant has a great looking interior, and the view from the patio is nice as the ROM and Royal Conservatory of Music are across the street. Service was great overall, with the host remembering that I had requested a seat on the patio when I made my reservation, and referring to that before I even mentioned it in person. They were very accommodating and didn't give me any trouble at all about my dining partner being delayed and leaving me to take up a whole table alone for half an hour. One of my servers was a little snippy about how we could only order things from the Summerlicious menu and couldn't get any regular apps, but other than that, it was a very nice little afternoon stop. I've been before, and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate ServiceCrystalDined on 7/18/2014Arrived 5 minutes in advance of our 6:30 reservation (2 people) and we were seated quickly. The two tables beside us were empty. After 20 minutes, another couple was seated at the table beside us. They were greeted by the server and given water. We were still waiting for any acknowledgment of our existence. Another 10 minutes pass by, another couple is seated right beside us. They receive service right away. We are STILL waiting. We try to flag down the server who seems to be purposely avoiding us (she would turn her body toward the couple beside us so as to "avoid" looking at us). After 35 minutes of no water, no greeting, no drink orders taken, we leave. I have been here in the past and LOVED the food. Shame that I won't be back.Special Features:
- Amazing food, great serviceannimayDined on 7/17/2014Went to museum tavern for summerlicious. The food was fantastic especially the maple ribs.. Which I am sad I didn't get to have as my entre. Our server was great and very attentive. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Great choice for summerlicious!Summer2014Dined on 7/17/2014Went for summerlicious 2014. $25 for a 3 course meal is amazing when you look at the pricing normally. Our waitress was great! Attentive but also fun and very personable. Food was great. My sister got the fried chicken, the ahi tuna burger, and the chocolate brownie. She was pretty full just from the starter which was a large (but delicious) portion. I had the tuna tartare tostadas (amazing!), the aztec bowl, and the blueberry pie. I wasn't big on the aztec bowl (not sure how they prepared the tofu, avocado, jalapenos and tomatillos, wasn't a fan) but I ended up having some of my sister's burger as she was full from her starter and it was delicious. I would highly recommend here during summerlicious, little too pricy otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed Summerlicious visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The waiter who took us (a large group) to our seats was not accommodating and had poor attitude (facial and verbal), even though there weren't that many people at the time when we arrived. I had a fork with food stuck (dry) between the prongs of the fork. Although the waiter was quick to switch it to a new one, there was nothing stellar with the restaurant overall. The food was passable. The fries were cold and too salty. There was nothing special with the burger. The pastry on the pie was hard and not puffy. The 'cake' was frozen. What stood out was that it was so loud that I could not hear the person sitting across from me. It was a poor pick to celebrate (any occasion).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Guess we came late and I was so excited to checkout this place after seeing the great reviews that I was less than pleased after dining here. I came for the summerlicious, the duck was a bit dry from the duck buns, the mains were good, but nothing that stood out to mention. The brownie was frozen, I felt embarrased to eat it and the pastry on the pie was not fluffy.
- food N more foodfoodsoulDined on 7/15/2014The buttermilk fried chicken appetizer and the steak & frites entree is a must try! Wine on the other hand was a disappointment... you'd be better off ordering cocktails.Special Features:
- Summerlicious hit.tablenotesVIPDined on 7/15/2014Vibrant, modern pub with tasty savoury options. Desserts need some work and are a bit lack lustre, but would happily return if I'm in the neighbourhood. Good food, with generous portions for summerlicious. Fried buttermilk chicken is a must!Special Features:
- PheNOMinal!TerralunaDined on 7/14/2014Came to this lively and hip restaurant for Summerlicious 2014 dinner. Highly recommend the Seared Ahi Tuna Burger (rare); the fish was just so refreshing being paired with avocado. The coleslaw was the least of my favourite. The starters came quick, but we waited around 40 minutes for our main course which was surprisingly slow being 9pm on a Monday. Great service and attentive staff. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- SummerliciousTheMsNicoleDined on 7/14/2014I went for summerlicious and the food was amazing. The service was friendly and genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio was great. Food was ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014We have been twice to the restaurant and both times the food was ok. This time we sat on the patio though which was great. Might be a better place for drinks than food.Special Features:
- Good for $25 SummerliciousJonCDined on 7/13/2014For the price ($25) it's overall a good place to dine (lunch or dinner). Good food, service and ambience. Not excellent, but that's to be expected based on what we paid. The Ahi tuna burger is great for the main and the fried chicken with the sauce is good for appetizer. The sauce is a must have as it is what makes the difference, or else it would just be regular fried chicken. Do NOT have the blubbery pie for dessert.. the consistency makes it seem like it came out from a tin can. The seasonal cake is ice cream with some kind of graham cracker at the bottom. It was good, although the graham cracker was a little hard to cut (easy to chew though). Still enjoyable. Hope this was useful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualHabsfanDined on 7/12/2014I go to Museum Tavern often, and my last visit, as pertains to this review, was unremarkable. The only available menu was the summerlicious menu, and I was not notified that there was no regular menu beforehand. Moreover, the food lacked the excellence that is characteristic of Museum Tavern. The server was friendly and competent but the food itself was the disappointment. My girlfriend's food, the aztec bowl, was not good at all, and it felt rushed and almost pre-made, as can be the case with summerlicious. On top of that, the desserts were both bland and hard - the blueberry pie's bottom crust was quite tough and stale, and the brownie was not so much as brownie but a chunk of icecream on a cracker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't pay full priceSadieDined on 7/12/2014I went with my friend for the summerlicious lunch on a Saturday. The restaurant wasn't busy at all and my experience was wonderful up until the main course (the Albacore Tuna Tartare appetizer was good). I ordered the Tavern Chop salad (described to me as a cob salad) with dressing on the side. The first one came with dressing and I asked for another one, the second one came with dressing on the side, but the salad under delivered. The portion was good, but the plate was meant for a side salad. And the romaine wasn't fresh and I got 5 lettuce cores. The main course was the biggest disappointment, but other than that, it was a great deal for a $15 lunch. I got a refreshing peach sorbet for dessert that was really good.Special Features:
- Bad!CCgirl24Dined on 7/12/2014I walked in and the restaurant was very pleasing to the eye. The food came and I was sorely disappointed. The Tuna tartar was mushy and green color. It didn't look fresh and the taste was overpowered by its marinate. My entree, Steak salad, was presented very "displeasingly". It didn't look "good enough to eat". It looked like they had leftovers and just plopped it into a bowl and topped very small pieces of steak on top. My friends' "Tavern Chop" had maybe 2-4 pieces of chicken and WAY too many chunks of cheese. He was not fulfilled at all. My sorbet tasted awful. It felt like slush in a ball. The taste of the peach was more watery than anything. Our server was already in a bad mood which made my meal very unpleasant. Overall, BAD!!!!Special Features:
- Summerlicious ExcellenceJohnSpagsDined on 7/11/2014Museum Tavern is an excellent choice for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- summerlicious experienceasmiDined on 7/11/2014Had the tuna tostada as an appetizer. It was incredible! Melt in your mouth tuna. The tuna burger on the other hand was alright. Personally, i thought the avocado spread was a bit too much for the tuna burger. It would've been nice if they incorporated the slaw in the urger instead. The blueberry pie was delicious! Love the crumbly texture, and the blueberry inside wasn't overtly sweet - which is what i like at least.Special Features:
- susgerDined on 7/11/2014Good service, appealing ambience, food aims for gastro pub, but doesn't always succeed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sumlicious madnessLauraVIPDined on 7/11/2014I was surprised at how un-organized the service was. We were served the wrong thing 3 times and had it whisked away once the error was noticed. quite a change from usual service--and our meal, ordered from the sumerlicious menu, was a long time coming..odd for a fixe prix meal...Special Features:
- Summerlicious visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014Great portions and very helpful/friendly staff. One of the better fixed price menus I have had as part of summerliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked Tuna burger.Lot of friesClarenceDined on 7/7/2014My fiance asked for a medium rare tuna burger but turned out to be too cooked, was not raw enough. Too much fries on the plates. Service was great (although they accidentally served the wrong food on our table). Appetizers were amazing.Special Features:
- wouldnt go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014The service was awful and the food was cold. It was summerlicious and we were very excited about trying out this place as we have heard such positive things about it. However the service was awful, the waitress clearly hated her life and did not want to her there and kept using the excuse there is a big party inside. That is not my problem I still expect decent service. As well the food was cold and we didnt bother taking it back however it was good so that was a positive. Summerlicious is supposed to be result in my wanting to come back to the restaurant but this will not be the case.Special Features:
- Summerlicious DinnerliciousDined on 7/5/2014Went here for summerlicious, and it was delicious! The portion sizes were huge! My friend got the buttermilk chicken and if that was paired with fries or salad it would have been enough for a meal and it was just the appetizer. I got the seared tuna burger, duck buns and blueberry pie which were all delicious. I would recommend though if you are ordering a steak to order it rarer than you would like (order rare if you want medium rare). Our server overall was very nice, constantly refilling drinks however she was in a bad mood at the beginning of dinner however that faded. Overall, I will definitely come back, probably only during Winterlicious/ Summerlicious as it is a bit pricely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing StaffheartfoodDined on 7/5/2014I had come here once before excited to dine for dinner after having read the many reviews. But being the late person I am, as I was a walk-in they told me it would have to be a two hour wait. SO after knowing that "Yes, this place really IS popular" I decided to make a reservation for Summerlicious Lunch (or Brunch ...) and of course I wasn't disappointed. GET THE PATIO. IT IS SUMMER AND LOVELY. Also definitely get a drink. And not, not just water. That's not fun right? As soon as we stepped into the restaurant , the servers were very charming and the food was AMAZING. Larger portions than I expected and I could barely finish dessert. I got the 12 Grain Salad to start (already filling) and the Southwestern Steak Salad as the main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.