82 Society Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charlestonmuse.com/
- Phone: 8435771102
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jason Houser
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Muse is comprised of five separate dining rooms, all of which can be used for private parties. The entire establishment may also be booked for special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Anne Crane 8433011450
- Entertainment: Live Pianist on Thursday Evenings
A word from Muse Restaurant
Nestled away in a historic home in downtown Charleston is MUSE, an elegant restaurant and intimate bar reminiscent of a Mediterranean Villa. Executive Chef, Jason Houser melds the cuisines of Italy, Spain, France, & Greece, featuring preparations of Grilled Seafood, Seared Fish, Savory Meats, Homemade Pastas, and Salads. The extensive wine list complements the experience and offers 100 selections by the glass. The cozy bar empties out onto a terrace, offering outdoor dining, tapas, and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Muse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Muse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (45)notable wine list (28)great for outdoor dining (27)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Lovely neighborhood feel-deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014One of best we have experienced in Charleston- loved the quaint atmosphere, very attentive service and the inventive combination. The tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad was delicious and beautifully presented. I enjoyed tile fish special with roasted peaches. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!!Kms1234Dined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing and our server was very knowledgeable about the menu. I ordered the Sea Scollops and they were by far the most tender and delicious Scollops I have ever had. I have dined at Muse before and I've always had a great experience. My only complaint was that the restaurant was very warm. It is a very old house that does not have central air and we did visit in August. The hottest month of the year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fine!ElliemaeDined on 8/16/2014Darling hideaway cafe restaurant...ambience and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Michael.ciscoDined on 8/16/2014We had an early dinner before a concert with good friend who was shortly leaving the country for good. Martinis at the bar were excellent, bouillabaisse was very good.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Had a great experience and awesome dinner....the best bartender....Drew....Special Features:
- Old Time RestaurantBobRDined on 8/12/2014If your looking for a classic old Charleston Restaurant this is definitely the place. The food was good, service outstanding. Quite; if you like to talk to your dinner partner you'll enjoy this place. Wines are good and the Grilled Calamari appetizer is excellent. Muse try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Was a great "local find". Quiet subtle and great food and wine. More than met our expectations. Eating outside in August was a little warm..... however it didnt squelch our experience. We love these small, hidden gems ... will go back for sureSpecial Features:
- terrific local findDebatpawleysDined on 7/31/2014This was our second trip to Muse and the food was as good as the first time. Love that it is not a tourist attraction and seems to have a loyal local followinglSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We read about your restaurant in Charleston magazine and looked up the website. The site showed beautiful photos of artwork and tapestry? on the walls. We were very disappointed in the setting. The room where we ate was dimly lit and dingy. Lots of mirrors but no artwork other than a wall mural over the fireplace obstructed by table setting materials. Woodwork in the room was in need of repair with peeling paint. Food was good but, honestly, seemed very overpriced compared to other restaurants in the area. Adjoining bar was very noisy.Special Features:
- Mediterranean TreatCharlestonEaterDined on 7/26/2014Good choices of appetizers. I think their specialty is Fish. Our group had 3 different fish dishes, and everybody liked what they gotSpecial Features:
- Delicious food!Localdiner1Dined on 7/25/2014Really enjoyed dinner. Appetizers were large portions. Dinner entrees were exceptional. Fish was cooked perfectly! Everything tasted super fresh and the atmosphere was eclectic, cozy, and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner spot!JulieDined on 7/23/2014Great food with a fresh menu, including local offerings. Wine list is not overly extensive, and very well-selected. Beautiful decor inside. I had a pork chop that was perfectly cooked. Many great appetizers to choose from, so we will go back again to experience different dishes.Special Features:
- delightful diningtinkerbellDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed everything About Our Experience Nice Selection Of Menu Items Decent Portions With Average PricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed dinnerCharlestonNibblerDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed Muse overall. The atmosphere of the old house was charming and our meal was delicious. Our server did a great job with making recommendations for wine parings to go with our dinner courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.JohnboyscDined on 7/15/2014Ok we were all quite disappointed, but at the same time Muse definitely has potential. We started with the grilled calamari, brushetta, and sausage. Appetizers were amazing!!! I am dieting and the grilled calamari was off of the chart. Super tender and amazing flavor. The others were good as well. The entrees were inconsistent. I ordered the scallops, and I received 3 quite small scallops. Honestly I was picked on for the rest of the meal about my "appetizer". They were good, but over quite quickly. Others ordered the grouper which was marginally bigger than my combined scallops. Lastly, service was quite marginal as well. Again, definite potential but not quite there. Charleston is quite competitive for restaurants.Special Features:
- Managed dinner for 10 just fineRobinDined on 7/9/2014My company was in town for a business meeting and at ate this restaurant for dinner. Our table was ready when we arrived in a private room. The service was great. The building is cute and interesting. The food was extremely good with special attention to quality ingredients. The tomato salad had beautiful heirloom tomatoes and homemade fresh cheese. Not your average salad. It was way above average. Everyone loved their meals. I had the crispy sea bass and it was beautifully presented and tasted great. I ate every bite. The wine list was good however they were out of several of our selections. We did settle on several bottles that were really nice. Great evening. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different and funARHolyVIPDined on 7/7/2014We had a great time visiting Muse, and meeting Drew the bartender. Made our dinner and evening really nice! Great little gem of a place with amazing food! Thanks all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing for a SPOCJVM83Dined on 7/6/2014We dined with you on Sunday, July 6th for my husband's birthday. When I made the reservation I made sure to communicate that we were celebrating his birthday. This was never acknowledged even after I mentioned several times that he was the "birthday boy". The food was excellent and our waiter was knowledgeable of the menu and making recommendations. I'm just very disappointed that Muse never acknowledged the birthday celebration. Even a simple, "Happy Birthday" would have been nice and appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the worst . . .MbcharlestonDined on 7/5/2014First the good: great cheese plate, pretty good duck app, great wine list and a really aesome atmosphere. The bad: we were seated 20 minutes past our reservation. We ordered apps and entrees at the same time. Drinks came quickly as did the bread. Another couple was seated about 15 minutes after us. The short version is that the other couple had apps entrees and had paid their check before we got our entrees. The chicken and fish were both severely over cooked. It was not good at all. Our waitress asked if we wanted another round of drinks which we did she came back a few minutes later and asked if we were still okay just drinking water. I think it could have been an off night for everybody and might give it another shot but wasn't happy.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsKennyDined on 7/5/2014Muse has been a great consistent fixture in the charleston dining scenes for years, but continues to innovate to keep up with the newer dining options in the city. Always a great relaxing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and friendly staff!livelovecharlestonDined on 6/28/2014I tend to forget about this quaint jewel amidst all of the new places to try downtown. It is worth putting on your list of places to frequent. I love that you can dine casually at the bar with the full menu!!! The food is excellent and the staff delivers true Southern hospitality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehFoodiegirlDined on 6/25/2014I had been here before and wanted to return as I had recommended it to others. My food was nothing to write home about and my friend's shrimp and grits was so bland she didn't want to eat it. The waitstaff was forgetful. I had eaten here before and had a perfectly lovely experience, but i don't know that I would recommend it again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/14/2014It has been over a year since we have dined at Muse and I think this will be our last time here. We brought out of town guests and were terribly embarrassed by how shabby the Restuarant has become. It is not "shabby chic", just shabby! Out of the four of us, three diners had ok food, not great, just ok. One however ordered the grouper dish the waiter assured was wonderful, only to get a dish of dry overcooked fish.
- Disappointingf00dieDined on 6/3/2014Very poor welcome. Understaffed. Food not balanced. Potential is there - just not delivered across the board in terms of food.
- Good seafoodCoastaLadyDined on 6/1/2014The fish we had were prepared with imagination. This is not a fried catfish and hushpuppies place. For those of us who prefer wine by the glass, there was a very good selection from around the world. Tables are close together so you may get to know your neighbors. If you want total privacy, this may not be your place. If you want a taste of the friendly South, this is a very good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Spoleto DinnerdelsolncDined on 6/1/2014Outstanding dinner choice for any occasion. Food and service excellent. Lots of small dining areas make the experience cozy and keep the noise down. Great wine choices. Overall a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- A real find in a college areaPDCLarryVIPDined on 6/1/2014Muse is a wine bar with an excellent menu. The wine list is extensive, with a wide selection by the glass. The menu is short, but covers all of the major food groups, so there will be something for everyone. And all of the 5 dishes we tried were delicious. As were the desserts. We chose to sit outside; as Muse is on a quiet street this worked out well. The staff was very accommodating to one of our group's severe allergies (rosemary!). Service was attentive but not brisk. We would recommend Muse especially for visitors to the Spoleto Festival, as it is near all venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ambianceMCTalwaysDined on 5/31/2014My sister had recommended this place for me and my friend from France, who had never seen Charleston. We each had the Mahi Mahi, the catch of the day, and we were both very impressed. I especially liked my Sancerre pairing. The service was also exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try the panna cotta!mungbeanDined on 5/30/2014The panna cotta for dessert is amazing. The service is very good. The menu is interesting and the food prepared in a tasteful, delicious manner. Proportions are just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent / ComfortableartsguyDined on 5/30/2014Our return visit (to Charleston and) to Muse was everything we expected. Inventive food, smooth service, funky atmosphere. No surprises, except how good everything is. We'll return again to Charleston, Spoleto USA and Muse.Special Features:
- bubblesDined on 5/30/2014Food was great, although portion sizes were small for the price.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Charleston has some outstanding restaurants, unfortunately Muse was not. We have been expericiencing a real welcoming, gracious reception in the city that was not the case here. The bouillabaisse was a little sweet, both atypical and unappetizing. The server brought a bottle of wine we ordered from a particularly bad year, not what was at the menu. We will not return.
- Local13Dined on 5/25/2014Lovely spot convenient to many attractions in mid town. Small but quaint outdoor seating, perfect for small bites or evening out.Special Features:
- outstanding dining experienceCustomerDined on 5/24/2014Every time I go to muse I try a different dish, and it is always delicious. The atmosphere is energetic, but you still don't have to shout to be heard. The waiters are attentive, but not intrusive. Muse is always a fine dining experience in every sense of the word.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/23/2014We reserved a table for 9 and were pleased that we were in our own room. The food was great, service perfect. The only thing that I could complain about is we had a 10 year old in our party. The food was a little too sophisticated for her. She wanted a salad with lettuce and dressing only and we were told that they could not accommodate it - the salads were on the menu and there were no variations. Really? They couldn't put a bunch of lettuce on a plate for a child? Not a kid friendly place
- TastyHappyDined on 5/23/2014Grouper was very moist. Scallops were excellent but only three were provided for the entrée.Special Features:
- Foodie Friends Loved ItSusieSparklerDined on 5/17/2014We recently moved to Charleston. Not familiar with the food scene here yet so we looked on open table for suggestions. Found Muse & selected it based on prior ratings. We had friends visiting us who are major foodies. They enjoyed their food. Enjoyed their wine. Enjoyed the patio seating. Enjoyed the location downtown. Enjoyed our server's attentiveness. For the first time in 8 years, we heard no complaints from these good friends but definite food snobs. Thank you, Muse, for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindfoodieintrainingDined on 5/11/2014Muse isn't one of the big names here in Charleston, however, it should be. The food was outstanding as well as the atmosphere. I was very pleased with my dining experience and so glad I came across this restaurant. Definitely a place to try.Special Features:
- another wonderful mealNinaDined on 5/11/2014Went with my family for a Mothers day treat and loved it as always. Their Bolognese is the best in town and the duck breast appetizer was perfect as always. Always, no leftovers and no room for dessert. The service is not overwhelming but still attentive and I cannot wait to go again.Special Features:
- Great food and wine selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014I came here with my family for celebratory dinner. Having never been here before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I quickly found out that Muse has an excellent wine selection with reasonable prices throughout the menu. Each dinner item we ordered was also outstanding. The food is clearly made with fresh ingredients and could easily be paired with a wine from their large selection. The staff was very friendly and offered a comfortable ambiance. Definitely recommend for a new dinner spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.