82 Society Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charlestonmuse.com/
- Phone: 8435771102
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jason Houser
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Muse is comprised of five separate dining rooms, all of which can be used for private parties. The entire establishment may also be booked for special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Anne Crane 8433011450
- Entertainment: Live Pianist on Thursday Evenings
A word from Muse Restaurant
Nestled away in a historic home in downtown Charleston is MUSE, an elegant restaurant and intimate bar reminiscent of a Mediterranean Villa. Executive Chef, Jason Houser melds the cuisines of Italy, Spain, France, & Greece, featuring preparations of Grilled Seafood, Seared Fish, Savory Meats, Homemade Pastas, and Salads. The extensive wine list complements the experience and offers 100 selections by the glass. The cozy bar empties out onto a terrace, offering outdoor dining, tapas, and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Muse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Muse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (50)fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (35)notable wine list (29)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Not impressedLovetoeatDined on 9/27/2014Food was so-so, and a long wait. Location of table was cramped on second floor converted porch, initially I had to remove a couple of ants on the table. For the price $110.00 for two it wasn't worth it. We probably won't return.
- nice spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014me and my fiance had the pleasure of sitting at their only balcony table. it was wonderful, if you can reserve that table, do yourself a favor. book it.Special Features:
- Have Not been disappointed yetBuendienteVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always happy with the food and service. A nice fairly quiet restauratSpecial Features:
- So goodFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014A quick dinner before the concert but still the same quality and attention. How can you miss? Answer - you can't!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceKathrynVIPDined on 9/25/2014We loved your food. The clams and the bread and the carbonara was all super delicious and we soaked up every last bite! But your service was awful. We asked to be switched to another table and the waiter told us we couldn't (saved for parties of 4) even though no one was there and we would be leaving by 7:00. We were then delayed in service with water, bread and refills on any beverages. Once other people arrived there were couples who were sat at four-tops, they were served water and bread and drinks first and were able to order from the menu before us as well. We were clearly the last people on their mind. The carbonara had menu changes and we have no idea what the soup du jour or the catch of the day were as the menu was not described.Special Features:
- Out of town guestsFinLaBlueDined on 9/13/2014Foodie Friends from NYC visited. They were very pleased with the meal and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebTDined on 9/13/2014This was our first time at Muse. It is designed to be like a villa and it felt like an old building with his worn stairs, narrow walkways and rather warm "air conditioning". The room we were ushered to was very small and had a large white baby grand right behind me that seemed to be used as a place to put plates, extra glasses,etc. Our table was pretty squeezed in next to it so my husband wasn't thrilled. I ordered the Chicken Confit and should have asked for a description beyond the menu so received the chicken legs but I don't care for dark meat (my bad) Everything else I had was very good and our waiter did a great job. He tried to bring me something else but I just accepted a salad. My husband's steak was also very good.Special Features:
- Charming Place - Very Good FoodDBFoodieDined on 9/13/2014We visited during Restaurant Week Charleston and were very pleased with the food and service.Special Features:
- Jotay1944Dined on 9/9/2014I was considering cancelling my reservation because I read a bad review that afternoon. I am glad I did not. The ambiance was great. I felt I have been there before by the way the people welcomed us. They were so courteous and made us feel like we were regulars and not just first timers.The service was fantastic , fast ,we did not have to wait for our food . Collin our waiter was very kind ,courteous,and very helpful.He was real nice and a gentlemen.The food was very well prepared, delicious and fresh. I will come back again anytime I am in CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Food was good but waiter was not friendly, barely checked in on us, poor attitude overall. This guy looked and acted like he belonged in kitchen not on floor
- Poor ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Unfortunately I'm unable to give a good review for Muse. I felt it was dirty & had a musty smell to it. First time walking in was not impressive whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend Muse to anyone. The food was "OK" - not the best as we could not get past the atmosphere.
- fantastic meallooking4eatsDined on 9/6/2014We will absolutely be coming back. The service was 2nd to none, the wine list was great, and the food was outstanding. After looking over the normal menu, we saw the prices were very reasonable, and restaurant week specials were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnergoosecreekDined on 9/6/2014The food and service was fantastic. More than enough to eat. Presentation was excellent. We were in a little room with three tables and the room was historically beautiful.Special Features:
- CarolinaGalDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful food and ambiance. A bit warm, AC could use a tune upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUSE can do a little betterRictysuDined on 9/4/2014We went during restaurant week. . I would have to say our biggest complaint here is that it was too warm in that small room!! The service was ok but there were a couple things that were not done correctly, minor but none the least always have an impact on your dinner. Bread was not in time with the mussels. I bought sparkling water, they filled my glass from an ice bucket which was nice but at the end they forgot I had water left and never returned to empty it. There was about a cup or so left in the bottle. The food was very good and was an excellent representation we thought of what MUSE can do. Nice mussels a little on the small side, nice flank steak and my wife really enjoyed her seafood dish. overall very good food.Special Features:
- Too hot!!!PriscillaDined on 8/29/2014My party and I ate upstairs. We had to ask for fans because the temperature was too warm and uncomfortable. There were also mirrors/art missing from the walls. Overall, the food was good. Kudos to the chef.
- Bithday celebrationSchzippyDined on 8/24/2014We have been to Muse several times. A little disapointed this time. My y husband had the special fish. He thought the accompaning food was too lemony. My sister ordered the recommened bread pudding and the bread was stale. We did enjoy the Veal Scallopini. Server was great. Muse is one of my favorite Charleston restaurants.Special Features:
- average at bestGlennDined on 8/23/2014Restaurant had a musty, mildew smell which you catch right after walking in the door. Bar was loud and bartender not very "customer service" oriented unless you were one of his buddies. Food was average but the waiter was exceptional
- Muse on a Saturday nightBrichDined on 8/23/2014Had an excellent dinner at Muse this past Saturday. Went about 6:30 and the restaurant was not too crowded. By 8:00 they had a good crowd. Liked going early because it is quieter and easier for 2 of us to talk. Service was good with a very knowledgeable waiter. His recommendations were delicious and very well prepared by the kitchen. Couldn't have asked for a much better meal. We will be going back. Atmosphere is comfortably casual.Special Features:
- Luv2dine2Dined on 8/23/2014Food was awesome,but the vibe in restaurant was unsettling servers seemed mad want returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014Very disappointed. First ones seated in empty dining room & next 2 patrons were seated right next to us! Why do that with no one else in the room? Awkward as neither table could have a private conversation. Appetizer and salads served at the SAME TIME. Arugula salad had no flavor, Manchego was over fried, tough & tasteless. I pushed my salad to the side but waiter didn't even ask me what was wrong or if I liked it. He just took the full plate away. Inexperience or he just didn't care? Grilled sausage app. was tasty, its the reason review got 2 stars. We both ordered Crispy Sea Bass. Crispy should be on the outside, not all the way through. It was dry and the lentils didn't compensate. Muse means to "inspire". I was mused to never go back.
- Lovely neighborhood feel-deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014One of best we have experienced in Charleston- loved the quaint atmosphere, very attentive service and the inventive combination. The tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad was delicious and beautifully presented. I enjoyed tile fish special with roasted peaches. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!!Kms1234Dined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing and our server was very knowledgeable about the menu. I ordered the Sea Scollops and they were by far the most tender and delicious Scollops I have ever had. I have dined at Muse before and I've always had a great experience. My only complaint was that the restaurant was very warm. It is a very old house that does not have central air and we did visit in August. The hottest month of the year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fine!ElliemaeDined on 8/16/2014Darling hideaway cafe restaurant...ambience and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Michael.ciscoDined on 8/16/2014We had an early dinner before a concert with good friend who was shortly leaving the country for good. Martinis at the bar were excellent, bouillabaisse was very good.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Had a great experience and awesome dinner....the best bartender....Drew....Special Features:
- This is a downtown-tucked-away GEM!faves2dineforDined on 8/14/2014This restaurant is in an old Charleston single home which makes for a special experience. The food is to die for and Jen, our sever, rocks when it comes to recommendations! There are great choices of wines and more importantly they are affordable. The bruschetta is always a great start as well as the grilled duck breast. This time we tried the crispy sweetbreads and they were wonderful. The scallops, crispy sea bass, and grouper are just some of our favorites. If you want to drop by for a drink or a great glass of wine and nosh, this is the place. If you want to have a wonderful dinner, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time RestaurantBobRDined on 8/12/2014If your looking for a classic old Charleston Restaurant this is definitely the place. The food was good, service outstanding. Quite; if you like to talk to your dinner partner you'll enjoy this place. Wines are good and the Grilled Calamari appetizer is excellent. Muse try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Was a great "local find". Quiet subtle and great food and wine. More than met our expectations. Eating outside in August was a little warm..... however it didnt squelch our experience. We love these small, hidden gems ... will go back for sureSpecial Features:
- Outstanding dining experience!sherylh25VIPDined on 8/2/2014Every bite was exceptional. We could not have had a more perfect evening, service was outstanding, atmosphere cozy and special. Will keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific local findDebatpawleysDined on 7/31/2014This was our second trip to Muse and the food was as good as the first time. Love that it is not a tourist attraction and seems to have a loyal local followinglSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We read about your restaurant in Charleston magazine and looked up the website. The site showed beautiful photos of artwork and tapestry? on the walls. We were very disappointed in the setting. The room where we ate was dimly lit and dingy. Lots of mirrors but no artwork other than a wall mural over the fireplace obstructed by table setting materials. Woodwork in the room was in need of repair with peeling paint. Food was good but, honestly, seemed very overpriced compared to other restaurants in the area. Adjoining bar was very noisy.Special Features:
- Mediterranean TreatCharlestonEaterDined on 7/26/2014Good choices of appetizers. I think their specialty is Fish. Our group had 3 different fish dishes, and everybody liked what they gotSpecial Features:
- Delicious food!Localdiner1Dined on 7/25/2014Really enjoyed dinner. Appetizers were large portions. Dinner entrees were exceptional. Fish was cooked perfectly! Everything tasted super fresh and the atmosphere was eclectic, cozy, and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner spot!JulieDined on 7/23/2014Great food with a fresh menu, including local offerings. Wine list is not overly extensive, and very well-selected. Beautiful decor inside. I had a pork chop that was perfectly cooked. Many great appetizers to choose from, so we will go back again to experience different dishes.Special Features:
- delightful diningtinkerbellDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed everything About Our Experience Nice Selection Of Menu Items Decent Portions With Average PricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed dinnerCharlestonNibblerDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed Muse overall. The atmosphere of the old house was charming and our meal was delicious. Our server did a great job with making recommendations for wine parings to go with our dinner courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.JohnboyscDined on 7/15/2014Ok we were all quite disappointed, but at the same time Muse definitely has potential. We started with the grilled calamari, brushetta, and sausage. Appetizers were amazing!!! I am dieting and the grilled calamari was off of the chart. Super tender and amazing flavor. The others were good as well. The entrees were inconsistent. I ordered the scallops, and I received 3 quite small scallops. Honestly I was picked on for the rest of the meal about my "appetizer". They were good, but over quite quickly. Others ordered the grouper which was marginally bigger than my combined scallops. Lastly, service was quite marginal as well. Again, definite potential but not quite there. Charleston is quite competitive for restaurants.Special Features:
- Managed dinner for 10 just fineRobinDined on 7/9/2014My company was in town for a business meeting and at ate this restaurant for dinner. Our table was ready when we arrived in a private room. The service was great. The building is cute and interesting. The food was extremely good with special attention to quality ingredients. The tomato salad had beautiful heirloom tomatoes and homemade fresh cheese. Not your average salad. It was way above average. Everyone loved their meals. I had the crispy sea bass and it was beautifully presented and tasted great. I ate every bite. The wine list was good however they were out of several of our selections. We did settle on several bottles that were really nice. Great evening. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different and funARHolyVIPDined on 7/7/2014We had a great time visiting Muse, and meeting Drew the bartender. Made our dinner and evening really nice! Great little gem of a place with amazing food! Thanks all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.