82 Society Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charlestonmuse.com/
- Phone: (843) 577-1102
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jason Houser
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Muse is comprised of five separate dining rooms, all of which can be used for private parties. The entire establishment may also be booked for special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Anne Crane 8433011450
- Entertainment: Live Pianist on Thursday Evenings
A word from Muse Restaurant
Nestled away in a historic home in downtown Charleston is MUSE, an elegant restaurant and intimate bar reminiscent of a Mediterranean Villa. Executive Chef, Jason Houser melds the cuisines of Italy, Spain, France, & Greece, featuring preparations of Grilled Seafood, Seared Fish, Savory Meats, Homemade Pastas, and Salads. The extensive wine list complements the experience and offers 100 selections by the glass. The cozy bar empties out onto a terrace, offering outdoor dining, tapas, and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Muse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Muse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (39)special occasion (35)great for outdoor dining (22)vibrant bar scene (15)good for groups (12)late-night find (9)hot spot (7)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good FoodGastoneDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I ate at Muse before attending a play at Threshold Theatre. I had the catch of the day and it was excellent. My wife had the Gnudi and enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston FavoritejerroldWDined on 11/9/2014We had four days to spend in Charleston and got lots of recommendations for good restaurants, all of which were really good. The one I liked best was Muse, with its low-key, pleasant atmosphere, great food, amazing wine list, and intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we had hoped forFoodFanDined on 11/8/2014We were told that Muse was a good local spot that you wouldn't find on the tourist lists, but many locals frequent. Since we wanted a mix of seafood and Italian, we thought this would be an ideal choice. We will not make that choice again. We made reservations for 8:30 but were not led to our table until at least 15 minutes later. It took quite a while for the server to acknowledge us and then even longer to receive glasses of water--and this was after she had refilled every water glass in our section. The food was good but the portion sizes were not impressive. It was a disappointing experience all around.Special Features:
- First time, not last!AuntsugarVIPDined on 11/8/2014Our first time at Muse, picked because someone in our party happens to have that name. We were a party of 6 and half arrived very early for our reservation but were cheerfully accommodated while we waited for overtime football fans. Each of us had something different and each claimed his/hers was the best. Our waitress was knowledgeable and friendly. We are locals so will surely return and recommend to friends. Fairly easy parking and you could be sidetracked by a great little Chocolate Shop nearby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under the radar and excellentdanmVIPDined on 11/7/2014We are locals and the food the last 2 visits has been outstanding. it is one of those under the radar restaurants in Charleston. The atmosphere is undesirable to us, but the food is so good, that we over look it. I wonder when was the last time the drapes have been cleaned and the rugs steam cleaned??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, terrible serviceDisappointedDined on 11/2/2014This was the third time I dined at this restaurant, and it will be the last. My first experience here was great, the next two not so much. The service was just awful. This last time that I went on a Monday night at 730 with 7 people. They were out of Sea bass, Ribeye, and the Veal, how does a restaurant run out of things at 730 on a Monday night when there is no business in the building. The waitress forgot a part of our order and never came back to ask how anything tasted. We asked for more bread since there was seven of us, and she pointed at the basked and said there is some in here (one slice). This was the second time that I have been there that the waitress ruined the experience.Special Features:
- Different!JBjrDined on 11/2/2014Muse is a different sort of Charleston restaurant. Like so many in downtown, it is in a old house. It was a Sunday night and while downstairs was full, we were seated upstairs and the only ones there! Nice in a way. At least it was quiet! The wait staff was good, although a little slow at times. The menu has some really intriguing selections. Ended up getting the pasta Bolognese which had 3 types of meat with noodles and it was excellant. Overall, an excellant evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Great food, good service. We had a big group and they accommodated us food wonderful. Beautiful atmosphereSpecial Features:
- ZbestZbestDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary here and enjoyed the whole experience. We started at the small but interesting bar with a great bartender. We moved to the second floor for a quiet fairly romantic setting with excellent food and paired nicely wines. Service was good and the price reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/24/2014First time here and LOVED it! Rob provided excellent service, food was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One timeDaaaBearsDined on 10/24/2014Open Table has this listed under Italian restaurants. It is definitely not an Italian restaurant. The food was just OK. Nothing stood out in either of our dinners. We like to try all of the Charleston restaurants. This was a one- timer.Special Features:
- Friday nightMARMDined on 10/24/2014Food portions too small, service only fair, we were going to play next door, never offered the 2 for $23 that was in the play program. Won't return.
- Any time is a good timeFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/24/2014The title says pretty much all that's needed. Before concert, after concert or just a good evening of dining. The bar is a great place to meet interesting people. It's small (about 10 seats at the bar) so everyone can interact.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Romantic findMarilynDined on 10/24/2014Tucked in an intimate space with nice decor. Muse has a very good variety on the menu. Everything we ate was delicious. I recommend Muse for a lovely quiet meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place but food was just okBigbootayDined on 10/21/2014Roasted beet salad was very good. Duck was not so much. Server was lovely and managed a 14 top pretty well. Very dark inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerdebbiedinerDined on 10/20/2014Our daughter treated us to a fine dining experience for our 35th wedding anniversary.We had eaten at Muse twice before and were not disappointed this time. Everything was fresh,servings were ample and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Loved Muse and would gladly return. Wait staff was great, and eager to discuss the offerings on the menu. Food was outstanding as well. Weather was great so we sat outside.Special Features:
- NIce spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I had a wonderful time at Muse. My only side note would be that my steak was over cooked.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The Preservation Society recommended this restaurant. We were glad enchanted with the ambiance and the food. The Chicken Pate was phenomenal. We had a wonderful time. The service was professional and engaged with our needs. Thank you!Special Features:
- WonderfulFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/10/2014Sitting at the bar and enjoying drink, food and conversation is delightful. Pre-concert it is just the right place to be. We will be here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!DrMikeyDined on 10/7/2014This little place is off the main streets on a side alley and well worth looking for. The wine list is fairly extensive and the waiter knew it well enough to make good recommendations. Food was well prepared and presented and delicious ... recommend their housemade lamb sausage.Special Features:
- JetCityDined on 10/6/2014Simply an outstanding choice ever time I am in Charleston on business. RIght next to Renaissance and arguably my best dining experience with the least hassle and very accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014The good at Muse is delicious and the service is excellent. Favorite dishes - Baby Arugula Salad and the Local Shrimp. Perfect spot for our gathering of 6. Will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okThepigDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and maybe we just hit it on an off night. The service was excellent as was the wine list but the food was just ok. The presentation was beautiful but the food lacked any seasoning at all.Special Features:
- Our new Fave!KVTACDined on 9/28/2014Muse is an awesome little find, a bit off the beaten path so it doesn't have the same hustle and bustle as some Charleston restaurants. It is an old converted house which just creates a great atmosphere, and though it was raining when we went, they also have a really cute outside patio we'll hit on a different day. The hummus is just as good as everyone says it is, the bread is served warm and perfectly baked and my flash fried sea bass was the best I have ever tasted! It's light, crispy and the simplicity in taste is exquisite. Our wines matched our meal and next time we'll save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedLovetoeatDined on 9/27/2014Food was so-so, and a long wait. Location of table was cramped on second floor converted porch, initially I had to remove a couple of ants on the table. For the price $110.00 for two it wasn't worth it. We probably won't return.
- nice spotlkdew8Dined on 9/26/2014me and my fiance had the pleasure of sitting at their only balcony table. it was wonderful, if you can reserve that table, do yourself a favor. book it.Special Features:
- Have Not been disappointed yetBuendienteVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always happy with the food and service. A nice fairly quiet restauratSpecial Features:
- So goodFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014A quick dinner before the concert but still the same quality and attention. How can you miss? Answer - you can't!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceKathrynVIPDined on 9/25/2014We loved your food. The clams and the bread and the carbonara was all super delicious and we soaked up every last bite! But your service was awful. We asked to be switched to another table and the waiter told us we couldn't (saved for parties of 4) even though no one was there and we would be leaving by 7:00. We were then delayed in service with water, bread and refills on any beverages. Once other people arrived there were couples who were sat at four-tops, they were served water and bread and drinks first and were able to order from the menu before us as well. We were clearly the last people on their mind. The carbonara had menu changes and we have no idea what the soup du jour or the catch of the day were as the menu was not described.Special Features:
- Out of town guestsFinLaBlueDined on 9/13/2014Foodie Friends from NYC visited. They were very pleased with the meal and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebTDined on 9/13/2014This was our first time at Muse. It is designed to be like a villa and it felt like an old building with his worn stairs, narrow walkways and rather warm "air conditioning". The room we were ushered to was very small and had a large white baby grand right behind me that seemed to be used as a place to put plates, extra glasses,etc. Our table was pretty squeezed in next to it so my husband wasn't thrilled. I ordered the Chicken Confit and should have asked for a description beyond the menu so received the chicken legs but I don't care for dark meat (my bad) Everything else I had was very good and our waiter did a great job. He tried to bring me something else but I just accepted a salad. My husband's steak was also very good.Special Features:
- Charming Place - Very Good FoodDBFoodieDined on 9/13/2014We visited during Restaurant Week Charleston and were very pleased with the food and service.Special Features:
- Jotay1944Dined on 9/9/2014I was considering cancelling my reservation because I read a bad review that afternoon. I am glad I did not. The ambiance was great. I felt I have been there before by the way the people welcomed us. They were so courteous and made us feel like we were regulars and not just first timers.The service was fantastic , fast ,we did not have to wait for our food . Collin our waiter was very kind ,courteous,and very helpful.He was real nice and a gentlemen.The food was very well prepared, delicious and fresh. I will come back again anytime I am in CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Food was good but waiter was not friendly, barely checked in on us, poor attitude overall. This guy looked and acted like he belonged in kitchen not on floor
- Poor ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Unfortunately I'm unable to give a good review for Muse. I felt it was dirty & had a musty smell to it. First time walking in was not impressive whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend Muse to anyone. The food was "OK" - not the best as we could not get past the atmosphere.
- fantastic meallooking4eatsDined on 9/6/2014We will absolutely be coming back. The service was 2nd to none, the wine list was great, and the food was outstanding. After looking over the normal menu, we saw the prices were very reasonable, and restaurant week specials were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnergoosecreekDined on 9/6/2014The food and service was fantastic. More than enough to eat. Presentation was excellent. We were in a little room with three tables and the room was historically beautiful.Special Features:
- CarolinaGalDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful food and ambiance. A bit warm, AC could use a tune upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUSE can do a little betterRictysuDined on 9/4/2014We went during restaurant week. . I would have to say our biggest complaint here is that it was too warm in that small room!! The service was ok but there were a couple things that were not done correctly, minor but none the least always have an impact on your dinner. Bread was not in time with the mussels. I bought sparkling water, they filled my glass from an ice bucket which was nice but at the end they forgot I had water left and never returned to empty it. There was about a cup or so left in the bottle. The food was very good and was an excellent representation we thought of what MUSE can do. Nice mussels a little on the small side, nice flank steak and my wife really enjoyed her seafood dish. overall very good food.Special Features: