Muse by Jonathan Cartwright
41 Mary Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Muse by Jonathan Cartwright
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vanderbiltgrace.com/
- Phone: 4018466200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9pm, Friday - Sunday: 6pm - 9:30pm, Bar: 4pm - 11pm - Winter Hours Closed on Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Talented Pianist entertains evenings.
A word from Muse by Jonathan Cartwright
Opened in June 2011 at the Vanderbilt Grace in Newport Rhode Island is an all new fine dining restaurant under the direction of Grace Hotels' Group Chef de Cuisine, Jonathan Cartwright. Muse delivers international food and wine with homage to many of the local culinary traditions of Rhode Island. The hotel's restaurant offers selected dishes created by Chef Cartwright including some classic New England favorites. Grand Chef Relais and Châteaux Jonathan Cartwright is one of the most celebrated chefs in New England. He is also executive chef at Vanderbilt Grace's sister hotel, The White Barn Grace in Kennebunk, Maine – the only AAA Five Diamond and Forbes Five Star dining experience north of New York City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Muse by Jonathan Cartwright - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Muse by Jonathan Cartwright reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (25)romantic (23)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Elegantly CasualBruinsRuleVIPDined on 8/16/2014Started w/ drinks on the rooftop bar. Not part of this restaurant, but the view of Newport Harbor at sunset is spectacular. Don't miss it. Different experience from White Barn Inn, but still elegant. Staff thoroughly knew the menu and the wines. Small plate lobster wontons were delicious. Goat cheese chicken small plate was very good, but may have benefited from a sauce. RI Calamari appetizer was a nice change of pace from normal RI preparations. Lamb chops were cooked to perfection and were delicious. Duck was excellent with perfectly cooked breast & moist confit. Beignet and Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake were both decadent. Solid selection of wines by the glass and actually several reasonably priced bottles. Expect to be back again.Special Features:
- Restaurant RebornwebebackDined on 8/15/2014The restaurant in the Vanderbilt hoel has always aspired to be something special. Under the present managment of Grace hotels, i has at last achieved that aspiation. Our dinner was both imaginative and meticulously prepared. And the desserts were truly exceptional in their quality. But most surprising was the extensive wine list, presented by the extremely knowledgeable Andrew Doolan. In the spacious and high-ceiling dining room, the tables are set quite far apart, yet conversations are quite audible. The service is New York level professional. In sum, a really fine restaurant experience, with the elevated price that goes with such quality.Special Features:
- Where is the WowBillyboyDined on 8/14/2014Food was good not great. Atmosphere was very vacant. The prices were high. Plenty of places in Newport that offer a lot more for the price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014As an avid foodie i was not impressed by the meal. The scallop dish had to many things going on and was not refined and the star ingredient was lost in the shuffle. And the lobster main course came with un cooked pasta and large pieces of fennel both of wich were not appetizing and took away from the star of the dish which was a well prepared butter poached lobster. The service as mentioned previously was not up to the standards of a fine dining establishment.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014The service and ambience were impeccable from the valet to the over attentive wait staff team,and I do mean team.Alex knew how each dish was prepared and how it would be presented,if he wasn't at your side every moment one of his team mates were.He is a huge asset to this facility.The food was good but not great and a little pricey for what it was but the overall experience made up for any minor flaws in the menu.Will return again and would recommend this one to all.Special Features:
- AwesomeRickDined on 7/23/2014From the second we arrived to the minute we left everything about the experience was perfect. Our server was lovely and accommodating, friendly but not overly so. Reminded me of what service should be! The food was outstanding. Bold flavor combinations with perfectly designed plate presentations wowed me at every course. As a professionally trained chef it is always refreshing to enjoy a meal that is prepared with love and passion;this was no exception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They triedOpenStudioVIPDined on 7/22/2014The room was tastefully decorated and it went downhill from there. I feel badly having to give a negative review because the food and service manager really tried so hard to get things right. It seemed to be run by college students who just weren't trained yet. My husband's swordfish was practically raw even though he had specifically said he wanted it cooked all the way through. Even though I had specified a seafood allergy the gift from the chef was some chopped veggies served in a clam shell. The poor waiter didn't seem to understand why I couldn't eat it. To be fair, with each blunder they did do something to compensate. For instance while my husband was waiting for his fish they gave him some shrimp.
- not a-Muse-descoffierDined on 7/21/2014Wow was this disappointing. Overpriced, pretentious and overrated. Food tasteless and gratuitously complicated. Do I really want to see miso 'foam' next to overcooked swordfish? The open ravioli was a joke, meaning it was piece of pasta with no filling- sort of like the Emperor's new clothes. Coffee roasted beets (why do I care?) also tasteless - adding nothing to the natural sweetness and juiciness of beets. Everything about this place is just trying too hard.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/15/2014This restaurant has a wonderful menu but when the good came out..... very disappointing. The foie gras torchon was more like mousse. The staff was very nice but uninformed. Sorry, I think this restaurant is pretending to be haute cuisine.
- Lovely and romanticSusieVIPDined on 7/8/2014This restaurant has many great things going for it. The view from the rooftop bar is outstanding!! The best Newport has to offer. Stunning to watch the sunset and get a panoramic view of everything. They also have an indoor and outdoor terrace section to eat - beautiful. Now onto Muse- gorgeous inside (this is a great place for a romantic dinner). Food was outstanding. Michael, the Food & Beverage Director, is a super person. Warm and friendly and extremely knowledgeable about the property. The service team couldn't be more terrific. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- AwesomeRider89Dined on 7/4/2014I knew from the very beginning when we walked in this was going to be a memorable evening. Chris, who was the hostess met us with a friendly smile and wished us happy anniversary. The staff was friendly, attentive, and more than willing to help us. The food was presented well and was delicious, although some dishes were a little small, but that was okay. The piano bar added a nice touch and the women had a wonderful voice. I would highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef in trainingWineLoverVIPDined on 6/26/2014Started with a scallop dish - had an oriental twist, but over cooked and flavors muddled. Duck was better - good flavors and breast done nicely. Unfortunately, the confit and fois gras was in a twisted dough pocket that was too thick and was not warm. Chef in training - trying hard, but hasn't found his way yet.
- Perfect in every way.DavidDined on 6/23/2014From the moment we left the car with the valet it was a special evening. The place was quiet; being a Monday, maybe five or six tables were filled. It set a nice tone. Our waiter Alex was charming and professional. In fact the entire staff display that pleasant (and often lost) balance between being engaging and giving you your space. They knew exactly when to be there, they anticipated our needs, they were happy to chat if we seemed so inclined, but faded into the background as we enjoyed the meal. It it clear that these guys are exceedingly well trained. Our sommelier Andrew's knowledge of wines was comprehensive, and his enthusiasm for his art was palpable. And the food... it was as good as I have ever had in my life. Thank You!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest dining in NewportWhiteKnightRIDined on 6/20/2014If you are looking for a true fine dining experience in Newport, look no further than Muse. As would be expected from one of Chef Cartwright's restaurants, the food was exquisite, the service impeccable, and the decor & ambiance unparalleled. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantharryVIPDined on 6/8/2014Celebrated our wedding anniversary here and am glad that we did! Staff was wonderful! My wife mentioned that it was our anniversary when we were seated and staff jumped right on it! Everyone of them congratulated us, the manager on duty brought us a specially made drink to toast with and the dessert even came with Happy Annversary written on it by the chef! Before I forget - the food was outstanding!!! Foor sure we'll be back!!!Special Features:
- Awesome!bayfireDined on 6/6/2014The food is amazing! We had the Chef's tasting and it was wonderful! The pianist was very nice, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated palate a mustPixieVIPDined on 6/1/2014I had one of the most memorable dining experiences of my life here a couple years ago. It was a special occasion and price was not a concern.So we were hoping for a repeat a few days ago. The menu is somewhat limited and this time around the choices seemed over the top in terms of creativity. I'm an adventurous diner- my husband less so. There were no appetizers that appealed even to me. We both settled for just an entree- a fabulous lobster dish at $50. Portion sizes seem to assume multiple courses so our meal was a bit skimpy not having done that. The descriptions of the dishes required a lot of translation from our excellent server. I never needed that before. I'd recommend viewing the menu online before you go here.Special Features:
- Lovely Dining ExperiencepalatepleaserDined on 5/26/2014The entire time we were there was lovely and pleasant. We were able to hear ourselves and there wasn't any anxiety about when our waiter would be there to handle any of our needs. The service could not have been more attentive. I must add that the quality of the food was very good, just need a bit more of it. For instance, the Fois Gras that I ordered as an appetizer were smaller than a chocolate truffle size underneath some gelled discs. It was meant to look decorative but I had to ask the waiter: where is the fois gras? That was I believe $23. The taste (of the fois gras) was quite good, just not enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muse was very good, not exceptionalphutjensDined on 5/21/2014We enjoyed our diner at Muse, the food was good, the service excellent. For the price the food we expected might as well be exceptional ant that, it wasn't. Portions were fairly small I'd say, except for the cheese platter which allows you to be fulfilled anyway. What did not help this evening was that we were the only two people in the diner room, but the Muse couldn't help that (besides a more fitting price tag probably).Special Features:
- Music hath charms...DrDonDined on 5/10/2014We recently had dinner at Muse; the food was great and the ambience was terrific. The piano and vocal music by Kristine Wilbur really made the evening memorable.Special Features:
- Classic fine diningWineListDined on 5/7/2014My wife and I had a very nice experience at Muse. The prix fixe menu was interesting and excellent and the ambiance was quiet and elegant. The real stand-out characteristic of Muse is the service. We were treated like royalty from the minute we walked in until the minute we left. Prices are high but are warranted by the level of top-notch service.Special Features:
- Romantic Birthday DinnerLorenzoDined on 5/3/2014This venue was part of a weekend getaway that was planned for my wife's birthday... and the highlight of our trip. Had the 7 course Chef's Tasting Menu. Enjoyed everything that was served. Service was attentive but not obtrusive. Food was exquisite, served timely and did not feel rushed at all. Wait people were professional, polite and knowledgeable about the food and answered all our questions. Music was divine. An exquisite evening and a great find. Will return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/25/2014On a quiet night (only 4 tables occupied) we had to wait several minutes to be seated - the hotel doorman finally grabbed a server to help us. We then sat ignored for nearly 20 minutes and had to ask our server to take our drink order - she was ready for dinner orders when she hadn't even greeted us and started the evening. The food was ok, the lobster crispy rissotto app was weird and chewy, but venison was sublime. It seems capable of much more than we experienced. Manager had night off maybe?Special Features:
- The following 190 reviews are from the Muse by Jonathan Cartwright reviews archive.
- Divine DateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014It seemed there were many choices for a romantic dinner in Newport, but I'm so happy we chose Muse. It is obvious the waitresses and waiters are well trained, but if you smile and act friendly with them, they let their hair down and loosen up and give good advice on the menu offerings. The tables are well-spaced so you can people-watch discreetly if you want that, but you can also have a private conversation. The food was delicious and interesting. My husband's split pea soup appetizer was better than my scallops choice. The scallops were tender and cooked perfectly, but I didn't care for the pairing of the peanut flavor underneath. We both enjoyed our main course, beef tenderloin for him and duck for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Muse restaurantCdt518Dined on 4/10/2014Our server was outstanding and food was great. Awesome restaurant for special occasions. Enjoy it emmensely...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Impeccable service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2014While, as expected, the quality of the meal was second to none, the quality of the service was World Class. The waitstaff was exceptionally attentive without being obsequious. A very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner by the fire with music- nicedavesailorDined on 4/5/2014We went for a discount "newport restaurant week inspired" menu that was 55 for 3 courses. The food was excellent. The server needed a bit more training on how to not be insulting, and they were a little slow keeping the water glasses filled. Aside from that- nice! maybe the waiter assumed we had never been to a gourmet restaurant before because we went for the "special" menu. We wanted to put in the appetizer order first and wait a couple minutes to decide on the entree/desert, but he didn't like this, or didn't understand our wish-and was testy. The wood-burning fireplace and live piano/singing was great. After tips/drinks it came out to around 120 a person for a nice memorable meal. The regular menu is $85/ 3 courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceRichieDDined on 3/18/2014Everything was great! Food was delicious and service sensational ! It was my Girlfriends birthday and they made her feel very special. Not to mention it made me look like a Hero. Would Highly suggest taking anyone you would like to Impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sanctuary in the centerLocalDined on 3/15/2014Among the hussel and bussle of the city... If you want a chance to escape the college students fallin around a bar take a walk into Muse. You feel like you are dinning among the sophisticated mansions of Newport but with the easy walking access to the rest of the city. A single block from Jane Pickens theater which made and excellet compliment for an evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodarnieDined on 2/22/2014We've been here a few times and the food and service is always great! would not hesitate to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening to die for !KenMacDined on 1/3/2014Although, my wife and I are lifetime Rhode Islanders, we had not become aquainted with The Muse at the Vanderbilt Grace. We were absolutely delighted with the gourmet dining experience. This certainly is on a par with Maine's White Barn Inn, the Home Hill in New Hampshire, and Masa in NYC. The prix fix 4 course menu was our pick. The combination, presentation, preparation, and service were nothing short of elegant. The ambiance of a quiet dinner in front of a warm fireplace with a pianist music filling the air on a cold winter's night could not be staged any better. The lobster bisque was extraordinary, as was the steamed lobster, and finally the pumpkin souffle with butterscotch macaroon. Fabulous finish !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much of a bang for the buckMeLLDEMMDined on 12/29/2013While in Newport we went to three different restaurants. Muse ended up at the bottom of our albeit very selected pile. Muse had some delightful ideas,but more than one fail. Also, we were completely alone in the restaurant and felt like fish and fish bowl with overly hovering/obsequious staff, You must keep in mind that this is a chain and is not run by a visionary chef.Special Features:
- A Fabulous Anniversary DinnerRichardTSeymourDined on 12/27/2013On December 27, 2013, my wife and I had the perfect anniversary dinner at Muse by Jonathan Cartwright in Newport. The food was superb -- delicious and substantial, but not heavy and not resorting to cheap culinary tricks -- , the service was impeccable, and the wait staff very friendly and engaging. There was a piano player and singer. adding just the right background. The tab was far lower than we would have expected to pay for comparable food, service, and ambiance in our hometown, the District of Columbia. Four thumbs up (our limit) for the experience. We would definitely return if we;re in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best night out in a long while!CindyDined on 12/20/2013We eat out a lot but the night we were with friends at The Muse was outstanding and exceeded expectations for perfection...gorgeous facility, perfect ambience, knowledgeable wine steward who was able to make great recommendations for price and quality (we are wine makers) and the food was simply stupendous...we had everything from Lobster Bisque to scallops, to the lobster dish, the filet with a delicate tasty sauce and more...it was super delicious. We may go back again for New Year's Eve if they are not totally booked already. Love it and what a find! Cindy and Carl of Newport, RISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/16/2013We returned to this restaurant never expecting it would surpass our first visit. It did! Wonderful venue with outstanding service and excellent food. The location in Newport is ideally situated between the mansions and the waterfront in the heart of the historic neighborhood. We will definitely be back and it cannot be too soon.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceFinedineDined on 11/9/2013We thought we were going to get a fabulous meal and impeccable service. That was not the case. We instead had mediocre food and horrendous service. The waitstaff was hard to hear and unprepared. Our wine came without wine glasses, our courses without utensils. Save your money and go to any other restaurant in Newport. Last night we spent a third of the amount we spent at Muse and had an amazing waitress and the food was to die for. Maybe the kitchen couldn't keep up with the restaurant week crowd, but we paid full price and expected full price level food and service. Also, with the amount of people working there, they should have been able to accommodate a 100 table restaurant without any problems.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable!MD26Dined on 11/2/2013Just a great night! Food, service, and experience was superb at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2013Food was awesome! Had filet mignon.....melt in your mouth! Dessert pumpkin Soufle was perfect! Quiet romantic table, excellent service! A must when in the newport area. Valet parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the server,Andrew, toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2013From the server,Andrew, to each course it was- as it has been- exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muse is elegant dining andilovefinediningVIPDined on 11/1/2013Muse is elegant dining and gourmet food preparation in the heart of Newport. Always a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.