Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge
26 South 6th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.murraysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6123390909x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5 - 10 pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11 am - 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall on 6th Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking begins at 5:00 p.m. for $10.
The closest public parking ramp is located at 50 South 6th Street (the second driveway past Murray's on the left).
Other nearby parking is located at the City Center Ramp or the Gaviidae Common Ramp.
A word from Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge
Welcome to Murray's Restaurant. Minneapolis' original restaurant for steak since 1946 & home of the award winning Silver Butterknife Steak dinner for two. Also known for mouth watering garlic toast, Hickory Smoked shrimp appetizer, and home baked pies. Well into its third generation of family ownership, Murray's stands out among local and out of town diners alike as a true Twin Cities landmark & continues to provide the best in food and service as it did in 1946.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (186)romantic (128)notable wine list (96)fit for foodies (78)good for groups (55)neighborhood gem (51)great for lunch (42)late-night find (14)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Did not live up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2014I was in town for business and decided to treat myself for my birthday with dinner at Murray's. Boy was I disappointed. I have never been to a restaurant where everything I ate (except the dessert) was too salty. I started my night in the bar with the Truffled Fries and the boneless chicken wings. Both were extremely salty and I could not finish them. They also brought their "famous" cheese toast. Again, could not eat it due to the salt. I like salt, I cook with salt and put it on almost everything. Their seasoning was way over the top. I started dinner with the Caesar salad. Once again, too salty. They use the cheese toast for croutons, so that made things worse. The steak and potatoes were also hard to eat. Overrated!Special Features:
- Awesome service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Had such amazing service and got a free chocolate cake for celebrating our first wedding anniversary here! Made our night even more amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic that's still deliveringOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014Had not been in at least 5 years. The refurbished room is elegant in a way that harkens back. The four of us shared the Silver Butter Knife for 3 and found that was a great way to go, and "reasonable" in steakhouse terms. With three starters and three sides included (allowing a couple bucks for upgrades to the sides we wanted) it was the perfect amount of food for the main event. Also appreciate the reaonsable $15 corkage policy and brought a bottle of my Dad's favorite wine to toast the occasion.Special Features:
- Best steak aroundThorDined on 10/24/2014I have been here many times and without a doubt they serve the best steak in mn. However their service was absolutely horrible on our last visit. With the price the service should be perfect. We waited longer than normal for our drinks and our server was M.I.A most of our night. The server for the table next to us was extremely rude to the elderly couple sitting there and was even swearing at the computer as he entered in his orders. I just expect the service to match the meal, maybe next time we'll go to Mannys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowFishVIPDined on 10/24/2014The best steak I have ever had! A bit pricey but well worth it. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Murray's Made Anniversary SpecialMnfoodieDined on 10/24/2014We had a truly memorable dining experience at Murrays. We were celebrating our 15 year anniversary and every detail of the meal was perfect. Enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service and foodKarenVIPDined on 10/22/2014It had been many years since we ate at Murray's and we loved how they updated the restaurant. The food and service were fantastic. We plan to go back again soon.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceliketodineDined on 10/19/2014Great food and service. Butterknife steak was tender and favorful. Will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Twin Cities TreasureDaleDined on 10/19/2014Murray's is a Minneapolis Landmark that I always turn to for special occasions. Don't the Silver Butter Knife Steak for Two. Make sure to order extra garlic toasts as soon as you sit down - they are THE BEST!Special Features:
- wonderful againmlfromepDined on 10/18/2014Each time we come to Murray's everything is done just right. Everyone is where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there. The food is spot on from presentation to flavor. Once again the Silver Butter Knife steak was fabulous. We order it "light" on the seasoning salt, and prefer that taste much better. My girlfriend likes medium, I like medium rare, no problem, she got the end pieces and I got the middle pieces, perfect. They have done this before....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistencyMMMmmmDined on 10/18/2014Tim and his crew NEVER disappoint. The attention to detail, level of service, quality of product, and sophisticated atmosphere make Murray's the acme of Minneapolis fine dining.Special Features:
- RobBDined on 10/17/2014One of my favorite stops in Minny. Never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LegendaryMikeDined on 10/17/2014After all these years hearing about Murrays, it was everything we had hopedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Literally the best steak I have ever had. I can't wait for my next trip back to the Twin Cities so I can visit Murray's again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good traditional steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014Our dinner at Murray's was highlighted by prompt seating, nice ambiance, excellent service throughout the meal, and good food prepared accurately and delivered timely. Classic steakhouse experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentDjeatsDined on 10/12/2014Good service and good food. A nice place to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningJohnVIPDined on 10/11/2014Celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary. Silver butter knife steak prepared perfectly. Service was attentive and friendly. The bar scene before and after dinner was vibrant and fun. We give the Murrys team our top score!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner on Zombie NightmedwellDined on 10/11/2014We had a good night at Murray's . It is too bad Mpls. put a silly event(Zombie Pub Crawl) as a priority.They shut down streets and made the valet parking a frustration. It wasn't Murray's fault.They were nice enough to give us a gift card for a future visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a Lovely timeStaceyDDined on 10/11/2014Had a lovely time, food was great, remodle is very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Murray's no longer fits reputationWorldtravelerDined on 10/10/2014The service was very slow, not well trained and made mistakes with our order. The food was mediocre and both the steak and rack of lamb were over cooked and over dressed in sauce or bread crumbs. Because of this, we could not eat most of it and asked to have it wrapped. Long story short, my friend left the "doggy bag" at the table feeling it was not fit to be served to her dog.
- MirMir17Dined on 10/10/2014We celebrated my daughter's 17th birthday at Murray's. The food was amazing, along with the service. T.J. was our waiter, and he did a fantastic job. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father & Son DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2014Thanks for making the father & son special dinner a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- AmazingAmandaDined on 10/4/2014I took my husband here for his birthday because he loves steak. I had heard about their butter knife steak and was curious as well. The staff was wonderful, Clinton was a fabulous waiter with a friendly wit and excellent suggestions, the food was delicious, and you really can cut their steak with a butter knife! We had a great time, and hope to return:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKJustOKDined on 10/3/2014Just OK isn't what you expect when you go to Murray's. This is a treat for my wife and I to come up and enjoy a nice date night away from our 5 children. We always go to Murray's because we know we won't leave disappointed when we leave. This trip up was a little disappointing. I will start by saying my steak was fabulous as always and I'm drooling as I think about it. My wife's steak on the other hand was not so good. We both ordered the Ribeye and again mine was great and her's was not. It was cooked right but it was tough, chewy and didn't taste right. We would have asked for a different cut but our server was busy and didn't make it back to out table until I had finished my steak and the wife didn't want to be the only person eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencedoverseerDined on 10/2/2014We were visiting MN from out of state and were looking up the best restaurants in the area. It didn't disappoint--the 2 of us opted to split a 20 oz ribeye and then do soup (french onion was delicious) and sides (au gratin potatoes, sauteed mushrooms). The steak was very well seasoned and I had the stilton to go alongside. The server was very friendly and even offered a complimentary chocolate cake at the end to pair with our red wine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Although the steaks were out of this world we were very disappointed with the side dishes. The Au Gratin Potatoes were swimming in cheese not baked as they should be. The Brussel Sprouts were cold and hard (not tender and warm) and the sauce was very undesirable. The French Onion Soup was excellent along with the Salad. The Szechuan Green Beans were good except swimming in sauce once again. I hope you view this as a positive input and not a slam on your Restaurant.
- Great Great Food!MichaelSoenenVIPDined on 9/30/2014So many steak houses are all the same. Not so at Murray's...great food, service and wine list. Well done.Special Features:
- Great steaks!MomofMaynardDined on 9/30/2014We traveled from Cleveland to see the opening concert of the Fleetwood Mac tour and wanted to dine at an independently owned upper scale restaurant, and Murray's fit the bill. The steaks were fantastic and all of our order, including the escargot and ala carte side dishes, were perfectly prepared. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Minneapolis who is seeking fine dining at a unique, homegrown venue.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindAmbianceandArtistryDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I had a special dinner to celebrate a special occassion. Murray's tradition of fine food and dining still shines. The steaks were done to perfection, as requested. We loved the wine selection and found the variety of wines to be broad and comprehensive. We'll definitely put Murray's on our radar for other downtown dining occassions in the future. We loved the restaurant and the tradition that spans decades. We'll have to stop by the bar, sometime, before our next theater event for a cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nightkubesDined on 9/30/2014The new décor is great--the ambiance is right. Our server, Marcia, is as good as they come. And, anyone who doesn't appreciate Murray's steaks (and excellent cocktails), doesn't have a clue. "Date night" in the city doesn't get much better.Special Features:
- Always a Joy!AwesomeDined on 9/30/2014I've been to Murray's several times over the years ... for lunch and dinner. The staff is always warm and friendly, as is the atmosphere. Menu and wine list are extensive ... lots to pick from. Every meal has been delicious! And the garlic toast ... well, what can I say???Special Features:
- Love it!Tommyboy2Dined on 9/29/2014Every time we visit Murray's fabulous Resturant, everything gets better. We love it there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional but moderntukeDined on 9/28/2014Murray's no longer has the pink tablecloths, but it is still an elegant and quiet restaurant for great steaks. The big surprise for us was the quality of the sides. We ordered the famed brussels sprouts (delicious), the risotto (which is new on the menu . . . and delicious), and the mushrooms (delicious).Special Features:
- Always wonderful !susieDined on 9/26/2014As usual, our experience was purely fantastic..The food was superb, perfectly prepared..And our service was outstanding, which made the whole experience absolutely delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful special occasion spotHungry1Dined on 9/26/2014My husband and I shared a birthday celebration here. The food was stellar from the buttery garlic toast, through the Silver Butterknife Dinner for Two and to the chocolate cake for dessert. The service was excellent, although my request for a romantic table for two landed us in a corner of a side room away from the grand décor of the main dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change the name of our steaktastebudDined on 9/25/2014Took an out of town guest to Murray's. What a disappointment. Two of us order the butter knife steak. It was almost like shoe leather. Why do they continue to call this butter knife steak? I complained to the waiter, Dennis - we can't be the only patrons to feel this. My husband order the strawberry dessert - they were out of it. I'll never return to what was once a MSP staple. How sad.Special Features:
- Great food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014as with most dowtown Resturants parking can be a problemSpecial Features:
- Great Historic Steak HouseMikeDined on 9/23/2014The food and service were both incredible and the ambiance was very enjoyable. My customers enjoyed the entire experience. It looks perfect for business meals or Data Night.Special Features:
- Too noisyKILJDined on 9/22/2014Great food, wonderful service but could not hold a conversation with our table mates. Lots of Twins fans in their t-shirts and jeans. Would try to avoid a Twins game in the future.Special Features:
- Great date night!BoomerMNDined on 9/21/2014This is our annual tradition for our anniversary....once again we had a great time and wonderful food. The service is top notch and would recommend for any occasion, we love it for a nice romantic evening out.Special Features: