Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge
26 South 6th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.murraysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (612) 339-0909
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5 - 10 pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11 am - 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall on 6th Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking begins at 5:00 p.m. for $10.
The closest public parking ramp is located at 50 South 6th Street (the second driveway past Murray's on the left).
Other nearby parking is located at the City Center Ramp or the Gaviidae Common Ramp.
A word from Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge
Welcome to Murray's Restaurant. Minneapolis' original restaurant for steak since 1946 & home of the award winning Silver Butterknife Steak dinner for two. Also known for mouth watering garlic toast, Hickory Smoked shrimp appetizer, and home baked pies. Well into its third generation of family ownership, Murray's stands out among local and out of town diners alike as a true Twin Cities landmark & continues to provide the best in food and service as it did in 1946.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (209)romantic (130)notable wine list (100)fit for foodies (93)good for groups (57)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (41)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (17)hot spot (16)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2014We celebrated our 40th anniversary at Murray's with a few friends. The experience was outstanding. From the moment we entered we were treated with just the perfect amount of attention to make our experience wonderful. Our server was outstanding. We will definitely return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, outstanding serviceFamilyNightOutDined on 11/22/2014My Dad and brother were in town for a family weekend and we decided to go to Murray's. Reservations were made and our table was ready when we arrived. Marcia was our server and she was fantastic. She offered up suggestions as we were ordering and were we ever glad she did! It was a great experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- murrays christmas/birthdayjconDined on 11/22/2014very classy atmosphere/has that rich vibe/good food with large portions/ slick waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic, and comes through againDrDeuceDined on 11/22/2014Went for our wedding anniversary. We want to go to the best in town, and Murray's came through. First visit after many years in the Twin Cities and it was a solid meal. Staff very professional and service excellent. Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday celebration. Thank you Murray's!HardtopleaseDined on 11/22/2014We couldn't have planned a more perfect dining experience for a birthday celebration. Our waiter, Anthony, gave us great menu suggestions that definitely proved to be a hit with everyone. We were fortunate enough to be seated in a booth which made for a more private setting as well as no issue with noise even though the restaurant was packed. Love the menu selections and the attentiveness to food allergies and flexibility to accommodate them. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodjackDined on 11/21/2014We enjoyed the food and service and will be back as we have for the last 20 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed this time.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014I've dined at Murray's in the past. This time we were seated at a table in a out of the way room designed for small meetings next to a service cabinet. Staff was coming and going for water all night. Ambiance suffered terribly. I ordered the pan seared walleye. Very dry. Will not do that again. The wait staff was very good. Personable, engaging and attentive. Overall, not worth the expense on this visit. 😟I would recommend this to a friend.
- Silver butter knife steak was fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2014Quite possibly the best steak we ever had! Tasty, perfectly done, and a small amount of sauce that was a tasty surprise! The server was timely and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Murray's is Awesome!TNcoupleDined on 11/20/2014We went to MN to go to the Mall of America. We went to Murray's because it was listed on one of the best steakhouses in the US and it WAS! We had filet, mashed potatoes, potatoes au grautin, acorn squash, drinks and everything was a 15 out of 10!!! One of us eats steak medium well and the chef knew how to cook it perfectly without butterflying the filet - now that's a sign of a great chef. The garlic toast is the BOMB! We recommend Murray's wholeheartedly. What a GREAT meal. Our server, Clinton was professional and an excellent waiter. We will visit Murray's again on our next trip to MN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the StandbyOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/19/2014You'll enjoy Murry's all over again. I've been visiting for decades and i love the new upgrades, but still the best steak sandwich in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZonkDined on 11/16/2014We had the silver butter steak and it was amazing! The soup and salad were both alo great. We did not really care for the potatoes au gratin. And the Mac and cheese was okay, but a little bland. But, we came for the steak and were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Murrays still has itDeniseVIPDined on 11/14/2014Service was OK..... Food was great. I like to support a restaurant that has been viable for so many years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best special occasion restaurant in Twin CitiesPickyeaterDined on 11/13/2014Love Murray's! Outstanding service and outstanding food. Beautiful restaurant and atmosphere. More than just dinner, it's a total experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Evening!VisitingMinneapolisDined on 11/10/2014We decided to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary at Murray's since we were in town visiting family. The restaurant came highly recommended by the hotel staff and did not disappoint! Everything was fabulous from the moment we were seated. Our waiter suggested a wonderful pinot noir to start us off. The garlic toast - wow! The ceaser salad was one of the best ever and beautifully presented. The silver butter knife steak was one of the top steaks we have ever had and the acorn squash was such a wonderful complement and so much better than a baked potato! Our waiter was attentive, helpful and friendly as was the entire staff! As a surprise we got a chocolate cake with a candle!!! We would definitely go back when in town!Special Features:
- great service - great foodDjeatsDined on 11/9/2014expensive but worth it - we celebrate birthdays and special events at Murray's.Special Features:
- annpDined on 11/9/2014Great first time experience! Food was excellenty prepared and presented. Very nice touch to offer a special dessert for our 29th anniversary. Will definitely choose Murray's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great birthday treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I took my brother out for his birthday and it was an amazing meal with wonderful and attentive service. They even brought out birthday cake with a candle which was very thoughtful. The server was very accommodating to the fact that we wanted the steak done in different ways and found a creative way to ensure that we were both satisfied with our meals. Thank you Murray's for a great dinner experience.Special Features:
- Murray's First time customerMyBeutifulWifeDined on 11/8/2014Service was very good, waitress was very friendly. Only complaint that I do have is the steak was nice an juicy towards middle, the ends were dry and there wasn't much extra juice.Special Features:
- garthgarthDined on 11/7/2014was very happy with food and service that we went back sat night also late at 10:30Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningHappydinerDined on 11/7/2014This is the finest restaurant I have experienced. Dining at Murray's is an event. I have eaten at several fine restaurants but Murray's is my personal favorite. I heartily recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodYUCKDined on 11/3/2014How does a steak house overcook a tiny portion of meat on a salad? I asked for medium rare and most was medium well. I am so underwhelmed I can't imagine going out of my way to come back. I really wanted to enjoy this - as I had fond memories from my last occasion to dine here.
- Classic Steakhouse GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Tim and his staff at Murray's offer one of the best steakhouse experiences in the area, maybe the region. This was our second time there and our second time thoroughly impressed. The steaks are perfect - without exception. Medium-Rare-Medium (who thinks of that??) is the way to go. Side dishes are classic, simple, yet well done. We'll probably frequent Murrays each time we visit Minneapolis.Special Features:
- AmazingamazingtimeDined on 11/1/2014It was my wife and I 11 year anniversary and I could not have asked for better service, food, or ambiance. It was our first visit and we will most definitely be returning!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decades of perfectionWisconsinDined on 11/1/2014Murrays has for decades served the best steaks in the Midwest. The Silver Butterknife steak is a tradition, but everything else is excellent as well. Murrays garlic toast is legendary. The atmosphere has changed over the years to reflect the customer. Gone are the piano and violin, but the new steakhouse atmosphere is current and nice. The staff and bartenders are friendly and helpful. The family operated restaurant always hits the markSpecial Features:
- Great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The silver butter knife steak is really good! That's all I have to say, except the site makes me make a 50 character review.Special Features:
- FranDined on 10/31/2014We love the Silver Butterknife Steak!! Perfection! Great food and great service!! Our favorite restaurant!Special Features:
- Not the good ole daysnotwhatitusdabeDined on 10/30/2014Used to eat there all the time, years ago, when Pat ran the restaurant. It has sure changed. We came early,.. when it was not crowded, and the service was very slow. courteous, but very slow. Great food, but the prices and slow service would lead us to not come back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationsteaks2dieforDined on 10/29/2014Another great birthday celebration for our family at Murray's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the hypeRhumrunnersDined on 10/29/2014I was in town for business and decided to treat myself for my birthday with dinner at Murray's. Boy was I disappointed. I have never been to a restaurant where everything I ate (except the dessert) was too salty. I started my night in the bar with the Truffled Fries and the boneless chicken wings. Both were extremely salty and I could not finish them. They also brought their "famous" cheese toast. Again, could not eat it due to the salt. I like salt, I cook with salt and put it on almost everything. Their seasoning was way over the top. I started dinner with the Caesar salad. Once again, too salty. They use the cheese toast for croutons, so that made things worse. The steak and potatoes were also hard to eat. Overrated!Special Features:
- Murray's maintains the traditionDeadEatsBeefDined on 10/27/2014I grew up in the Twin Cities and moved away more than three decades ago. I've known of Murray's for most of my life but had never dined there. Seeing it in a list of 50 top USA steakhouses before a recent visit, I decided to make an effort to gather with friends there for dinner. I assembled three of us who'd grown up together since Little League days and one spouse. Our meal was terrific, the service attentive, and these "new" digs very nice indeed. I didn't ever see the previous interior so can't compare, but found this a very nice restaurant and our meals were generally terrific. Not inexpensive, to be sure, but budgets could be accommodated by careful choices and the Butter Knife Steak could be served for three, or four. Thank you!Special Features:
- Awesome service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Had such amazing service and got a free chocolate cake for celebrating our first wedding anniversary here! Made our night even more amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic that's still deliveringOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014Had not been in at least 5 years. The refurbished room is elegant in a way that harkens back. The four of us shared the Silver Butter Knife for 3 and found that was a great way to go, and "reasonable" in steakhouse terms. With three starters and three sides included (allowing a couple bucks for upgrades to the sides we wanted) it was the perfect amount of food for the main event. Also appreciate the reaonsable $15 corkage policy and brought a bottle of my Dad's favorite wine to toast the occasion.Special Features:
- Best steak aroundThorDined on 10/24/2014I have been here many times and without a doubt they serve the best steak in mn. However their service was absolutely horrible on our last visit. With the price the service should be perfect. We waited longer than normal for our drinks and our server was M.I.A most of our night. The server for the table next to us was extremely rude to the elderly couple sitting there and was even swearing at the computer as he entered in his orders. I just expect the service to match the meal, maybe next time we'll go to Mannys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowFishVIPDined on 10/24/2014The best steak I have ever had! A bit pricey but well worth it. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Murray's Made Anniversary SpecialMnfoodieDined on 10/24/2014We had a truly memorable dining experience at Murrays. We were celebrating our 15 year anniversary and every detail of the meal was perfect. Enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service and foodKarenVIPDined on 10/22/2014It had been many years since we ate at Murray's and we loved how they updated the restaurant. The food and service were fantastic. We plan to go back again soon.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceliketodineDined on 10/19/2014Great food and service. Butterknife steak was tender and favorful. Will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Twin Cities TreasureDaleDined on 10/19/2014Murray's is a Minneapolis Landmark that I always turn to for special occasions. Don't the Silver Butter Knife Steak for Two. Make sure to order extra garlic toasts as soon as you sit down - they are THE BEST!Special Features:
- DissapointedToddDined on 10/18/2014So dissapointed. For the price we paid for this meal if wasnt worth it. Being rated so high for a steakhouse I really expected more. The specialty or butterknife steak was only average at best. It was cooked alright but the flavor was not melt in your mouth but rather what I would find at your average outback or typical family style restaurant. To be honest I have actually had better steak at Outback. The decor is geared more toward an older type crowd. Definately not for anyone under 50-60 yrs old. This would be a good spot for a client meeting with some drinks but not for a great meal.
- wonderful againmlfromepDined on 10/18/2014Each time we come to Murray's everything is done just right. Everyone is where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there. The food is spot on from presentation to flavor. Once again the Silver Butter Knife steak was fabulous. We order it "light" on the seasoning salt, and prefer that taste much better. My girlfriend likes medium, I like medium rare, no problem, she got the end pieces and I got the middle pieces, perfect. They have done this before....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.