Murray's Cheese Bar
264 Bleecker St
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Murray's Cheese Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.murrayscheesebar.com/
- Phone: 6464768882x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am - 3:30pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact CheeseBar@murrayscheese.com
- Private Party Contact: Cheesebar@murrayscheese.com 2122433289
- Special Events: Monday, Nov. 10: Meet The Cheesemaker Dinner w/ Jasper Hill Farms.
-Tickets available: http://www.murrayscheese.com/classes/dinner-with-jasper-hill-farm-at-murray-s-cheese-bar-monday-monday-november-10.html
Saturday, Nov. 15: Brunch with Vermont Creamery with special guest Allison Hooper
-Tickets available: http://www.murrayscheese.com/classes/brunch-with-vermont-creamery-at-murray-s-cheese-bar-sat-nov-15-12-30-2-pm.html
A word from Murray's Cheese Bar
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Murray's Cheese Bar - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Murray's Cheese Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)neighborhood gem (64)notable wine list (44)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (27)good for groups (24)romantic (23)special occasion (19)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Favorite Spot!AllOvrNYDined on 10/18/2014I absolutely love Murray's - the cheese and accompaniment pairings are fantastic and the Lambrusco is a great find. This is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Murray's Never DisappointsLeslieLanaeDined on 10/13/2014Murray's Cheese Bar is one of my favorite places to bring visitors. It has a hip feel, a great soundtrack and friendly, knowledgeable staff. We usually get the Cheesemonger's Choice along with several other small plates for sharing. The seasonal menu changes with fresh ingredients and inventive recipes. A wonderful place to celebrate or share a romantic evening. Great drinks for pairing, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little heaven on earthCheesefeverDined on 10/12/2014This place was a cheese lovers paradise. Besides the Mac and cheese being AMAZING!! Their cheesecake is something out of the ordinary. It's topped with cherries and it comes with the best fig crust I've ever sunk my teeth in to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going back ASAPSlapfighterDined on 10/11/2014I can't recommend it highly enough. I watched the hostess field walk-ins with RIDICULOUS requests for large parties, last-minute, at peak brunch time. She actually tried to help them, and did her best. They sat us super fast, and we had a server at our table (which was awesome) right away. Drinks were refreshed, food was fast, and we loved that the cheesemonger came out and walked us through her selects. The food was fantastic, everyone was very nice even though they were slammed. We hit the market next door and stocked up immediately after. Same kind of friendly vibe from the staff there as well. So, so, so good.Special Features:
- Great food and funJerry345Dined on 10/10/2014Really nice place and we had a lot of fun sharing all te different plates and platters. The only thing we thought was the price for drinks was high. The tables are small so expect to get cozy. There is one big table for large groups though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomelove2dineDined on 10/8/2014Excellent food and service again! I've dined at Murray's four times in the last couple of months and absolutely enjoyed my experiences each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a fanMaryjaneDined on 10/7/2014I've been to Murray's several times and it never disappoints. Lots of cheeses to try but if you aren't up to picking from the extensive list, you can't go wrong with the "cheesemonger's choice" sampler. Great selection of fancy ciders too. My only complaint is that it is pretty loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOODvk255Dined on 10/5/2014Seated immediately, the food was INSANELY good. Not cheap, but just SO WORTH IT. The Farmer's Breakfast was unreal. Kale Caesar was also very good. Great Cabernet Sauvignon by the glass. Service was great.Special Features:
- Fantastic--even with the kids!KfdesjDined on 10/4/2014We brought our kids (ages 8 and 10) there at 4pm to experience the cheese selection (after a day at the museums) and we had a fantastic time exploring the tastes and textures. Kids loved the "fancy" experience--still, we saw high chairs available there so we didn't feel out of place. Adults enjoyed the wine list, the amazing cheese, and the respectful way the staff treated the kids. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceJimmyDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant surpassed our expectations. The service was outstanding and the cheese dishes and platters were really impressive. The young women making the cheese platters was very enthusiastic and interested in educating us on all the cheeses on our platters. We sat at the bar and were very well taken care of. Our kids LOVED it. Good work Murray's Cheese Bar. You are a gem. and everyone should know it!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014This place is awesome. The cheese, and especially the cheese pairings, are still the highlight and not to be missed. But the food is good too. But do not fail to get yourself some cheese pairings.Special Features:
- Unique!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Murray's Cheese Bar is great- as long as you like cheese! Every dish we ordered was fantastic, but we particularly enjoyed the original mac n cheese. Our favorite part of our visit was actually the staff- they were enthusiastic and actually showed their personalities, which made us feel comfortable and like we were among friends. Our only minor complaint was the lack of privacy afforded by the seating arrangements; you are so close to the other tables it's hard not to feel like you are intruding on their conversations!Special Features:
- Great cheese selection, fun place!lbovVIPDined on 9/21/2014This cheese bar has a wonderful energetic atmosphere and the cheeses are delicious. Coming from France, I tend to be quite picky when it comes to cheeses and I was very pleasantly surprised. The service is pretty slow but it is understandable considering how packed they were on a sunday around brunch time. Would highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 9/20/2014Murray's is a kind of cheese-centric bistro, Greenwich-Village-casual and painfully loud. The food is good, if not revelatory. Diners who are sophisticated about cheese might find preparations safe and timid. But though the restaurant's recipes may be unadventurous, they're pleasantly tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLikesmurrayVIPDined on 9/14/2014What a wonderful staff and amazing food! Everything about our brunch there was perfect and I'd highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yay!CatDestroDined on 9/12/2014I've been to Murray's Cheese Bar twice in the last 3 months and I'm most likely going to visit again. The service and staff are friendly and the food is awesome. Oh yeah, I love cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantTryingnewplacesVIPDined on 9/5/2014More cheese than you know what to do with, except to love every minute. Really flavorful and creative dishes, nice wine list and very good service. A little loud for a date though definitely a cool spot.Special Features:
- Grilled cheeseBoedostDined on 9/4/2014So delicious -- great appetizers----burgers-----very loud thoughSpecial Features:
- MamaPDined on 8/31/2014Had a great time and a GREAT meal! Staff was friendly and never rushed us. Helped to make it a memorable birthday for our guest of honor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentJennyDined on 8/28/2014Wasn't sure what to expect, but thought it would be good considering the reviews I had heard in the past. But it was excellent! Went with a group of 8 for my birthday and had the best night. We weren't rushed off the table, the service was outstanding and just overall great experienceSpecial Features:
- love2dineDined on 8/27/2014Phenomenal time. Been there twice for dinner in the last two weeks. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find...pig4cheeseDined on 8/24/2014Really amazing place....we did a spread of meats and cheeses and the cheesemonger (yes, really) came out and explained each item we got. It was fantastic. The pull pork mac and cheese was killer....if you're feeling a little adventurous, let them put together some cheese for you, if not the food is great anyway!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014excellent cheese selection. food was delicious. Would definitely recommend to friends and would go again if in New YorkSpecial Features:
- JamieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Always have fun at this casual cheese restaurant. Service isn't spectacular, but the food is always solid. Great for sharing, and exploring your love of cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- email@example.comDined on 8/23/2014Noisy, crowded, small portions, moderately high prices. Service was ok. Our server seemed to have a little sass and attitude for some reason. All we wanted was wine paired with some meats & cheeses. Spent almost $100 for 1 bottle, 5 small slices of cheese, and a few shreds of 3 different meats. It all tasted very good, however it was so loud I could barely hear the server explain the kinds of meats & cheeses we got and I could barely have a conversation with my date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- average.plebeianDined on 8/14/2014We had reservations and were seated quickly, however after getting our drinks nothing else happened in a reasonable time frame. The food was prepared well and still warm when getting to the table. We were seated between two large groups and had to compete with the surrounding noise to have a conversation, however it's impossible for a restaurant to predict and adjust for this. Overall an average dinner priced above what it's worth.
- Very casual placeEdNYCDined on 8/14/2014Decent place for lunch, place is very casual. Best if you can get one of the 2 tables closest to the street, to check the pedestrian traffic outside. Service was slow though considering it is a small place, so don't go there if you are in a rush.Special Features:
- Great pre-theatre vino and nibblessoozVIPDined on 8/13/2014The best deal in town for good wine and a delicious cheese plate prior to going to neighborhood theatre. Love the Happy Hour....but also love the Burger - anytime. Try it with the yummy side dipping welsh rarebit.Special Features:
- A cheesy delight!IvyNYCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Who knew that buffalo cheese curds make a great amuse bouche? The fondue was outstanding, the mac n' cheese excellent. A wonderful selection of cheeses. Casual and decadent. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Select carefullyLizzWVIPDined on 8/10/2014I really enjoyed Murray's-- but stick to cheese! I went during restaurant week and thought that the menu lacked in cheese choices. I had the mac and cheese which was cold and I sent it back. It also was nothing special. My guest had scallops--not sure why anyone would order them at a cheese restaurant. The 3-cheese plate for dessert was more like it! I would go again and have a large cheese selection, a bottle of wine and maybe a dessert. The servers were all very knowledgeable and friendly.
- Great ambience, okay foodCoffeeFlavoredEverythingDined on 8/6/2014I came here with a friend for restaurant week, and I was throughly impressed with the freshness of the ingredients used in the food. That being said, I wasn't too thrilled with the amount of acidity that I tasted in the sauce for our lamb meatballs or in the rarebit burger. It was a little strong for my palette. The wine I have no complaints over, nor do I have any complaints over the dessert choices--they were outstanding. Great service, I just hope the acidity in the food is reduced the next time I stop by.Special Features:
- Bustling cheese/wine barAJiLVIPDined on 8/5/2014Came here for restaurant week and it was great- many different types of delicious cheese to try. The waitstaff were great, and had solid recommendations. Decor is not too fancy, more homey than anything. Nice place to eat in West VillageSpecial Features:
- One more, one moreBenARoundDined on 8/5/2014Interesting concept with nice food that is significantly overpriced. Tiled floors and hard surfaces produce a very high noise level that makes conversation difficult. Lively, young crowd. Friendly wait staff. Generally good, but more sensible prices would make this a much better experience.Special Features:
- Yummmm!Megash523Dined on 8/5/2014Great food! Staff is awesome and friendly. I got the buffalo cheese curds, classic Mac and the cheeseburger which were all SO GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cheesecheesepleaseDined on 8/4/2014This place was great, mostly because the cheese was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brunchBKDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014I really enjoyed their brunch. The food was delicious, and the atmosphere is nice. I would return for brunch again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014We came here for brunch for my birthday and it was amazing! it was my first time at the restaurant side of Murray's and it didn't disappoint; the staff was great, the food was outstanding and they even comped my cheese flight as a birthday gift. will definitely be coming back :)Special Features:
- Cheesemongers Dream!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Delish! Enjoyed restaurant week. Will come again when I'm in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceNicknameDined on 7/27/2014Friendly, helpful servers, delicious food. We did half restaurant week and half regular menu, and did not find that, as some restaurants do, the restaurant week items were lower-quality or stingy portions. Most of the options were on the regular menu, not created just for the lower prices of restaurant week. I had my parents visiting from out of town, and they have some specific preferences and dietary requirements, which were all handled enthusiastically by our waitress.Special Features:
- Magnificence in cheese . . .DrylongsoDined on 7/23/2014An exquisite dining experience, gently bringing together unexpected tastes to yield magnificent combinations. The Cheesemonger's Choice--where the diner invites the chessmonger to make the choices--was particularly eye-opening, yielding a set of cheeses and accompanying chutneys/jams/syrups that was both surprising and sublime. Opening the meal with this sweet selection, and then closing with the glory of Murray's desserts, made for a perfect meal. We'll be going back to try more . . .Special Features: